New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it too fast to watch it on TV?

Plus, how many seats in a viewing stand can u add to a squash court? 80? Not including the lights and the camera positions. Nope; ain't gonna make it.

I noticed that futsal was quite exciting. I caught part of the Brazil-France match. The only thing is, it was hard to follow on TV. The rough condition of the sand is VERY distracting and makes it hard to follow the action -- unlike the beach volleyball folks have so far, perfected good telecasting on a sand court.

Isn't it too fast to watch it on TV?

mmm, it is quite fast... but Table Tennis is fast too?

Just because it is fast and rapid, doesn`t make it a sport... i`d watch it on TV, I just wish I had some good German players to support, but it is mainly commonwealth countries who excel at Squash.

I'd suggest that the Ryder Cup would be getting on for the equal of an Olympic event in terms of security provision.

Not unless Bin Ladin and cohorts are avid golf followers, I don't think the Ryder or the Masters even show up on the Al Qaeda radars. The suicide bombers would probably fall asleep following the game and/or waiting for their cue.

The problem in including it in the Olympics -- and we've discussed this at length before -- it imemdiately becomes a 5-star magnet for the do-badders: how do you secure a what? 50-60-acre site? 24/7? With a perimter of perhaps 1.5 --2 miles, you would have to double-fence this. Install 24-hour cameras w/ night-time vision, Light up the whole place like a f*cking Xmas tree in order to scare away plotters at night; and have a total fool-proof patrol system.

Technologically, as if the host broadcaster isn't saddled with enough technological challenges of the other 25 or 26 venues yet, and you will add a roaming project yet? Further, with 12 days of play - so thousands of people tramping thru the grounds on 10 or 12 days, how do you expect to keep the grounds green and telegenic? The broadcasters are at least going to want some pretty pictures. What? Just shoot from the waist up? Yeah, that might be an option -- but it would look stupid.

How about separating the paying crowd from the players and the crew?

Logistically, adding golf to the Olympic slate is a nightmare and really not worth the cost. The negatives I think far outweigh the positives.

Besides, it's boring to follow on TV, much less in person. It's a sport for the player; not spectators.

How does the cross-country course for the Equestrian three-day event compare in size to a golf course?

Wallachinsky's book says: "Phase D, cross-country...the course is usually between 6,840 and 7,980 meters long..."

But I think they are not comparable. All the cross-country, downhill courses are either 1-way paths or loops, and are used only 1, 2 or 3 days. The golf course is a parcel whose perimeter must be secured from all sides. Plus, my guess is that for a full-golf complement, it would have to be used at least 8 days. And because of the slow-moving nature of the sport, you have globs of people just standing there presenting themselves as very easy, tempting targets to blood-thirsty parties. Whereas, spectators on any of the open, cross-country courses are like Tour de France crowds, randomly placed -- therefore not as solidly packed as crowds on a golf course who will be even more closely scrunched in as they strain to see the live action of the golf prima donnas twitch and pose and take their time with their shots. :rolleyes: Whereas roadside crowds on the open paths can easily run behind storefronts, parked cars, bigger trees, etc., for shelter should someting go off. On a golf course, where would they run to seek shelter? Behind a willow tree? An umbrella? Behind each other?

Further, the local OC would not be liable for force majeure acts happening on a public road or path whereas on a golf course, the venue is supposedly under the local OC's domain, therefore it will be liable for any mishaps as it will be found negligent in not securing the premises properly as they would with the other brick-and-mortar venues.

• 4 weeks later...

I never thought I'd see this:

LAUSANNE, Switzerland, Dec 10, 2007 (AFP) - The International Olympic Committee gave cricket the status of a ``recognised sport'' after the first day of its executive committee meeting here on Monday.

Cricket was given this status, for sports not in the Olympic programme but which confirm to certain criteria of the movement in terms of youth promotion and anti-doping policies, for a two-year period.

``Cricket will benefit from this status for two years and could receive it permanently in 2009,'' said IOC communications director Gisele Davies.

Rugby and golf and I'm going to take some heat for this next one . . . skateboarding. Heck, if the IOC is going to include snowboarding you might as well include skateboarding.

I've got nothing against skateboarding at the games. In fact, I reckon it's probably inevitable.

You can keep golf, though.

;)

That could be a slight problem, when it comes to wanting cricket to be in the Olympic Games. First of all, I do not recall any women teams in the sport. Second, would the likes of the "Olympic powers" want it in there, like America and Russia? Of course, that would be saying that baseball, for example, should be put back in the Olympics because "America says it so" symbolically. That could lead the IOC into a slippery slope of accommodating future host nations based on their national sports and letting them choose which sports should or should not be in their Olympic Games.

That could be a slight problem, when it comes to wanting cricket to be in the Olympic Games. First of all, I do not recall any women teams in the sport. Second, would the likes of the "Olympic powers" want it in there, like America and Russia? Of course, that would be saying that baseball, for example, should be put back in the Olympics because "America says it so" symbolically. That could lead the IOC into a slippery slope of accommodating future host nations based on their national sports and letting them choose which sports should or should not be in their Olympic Games.

But that's partly what the IOC's new policy (24 core sports, two optionals) would do anyway, with its provision for two optional sports for each games. What better way to tailor a games for its host audience. It works for the CWGs on a larger scale, non reason it wouldn't for the Olympics with just two sports.

If there is really now women team in cricket, then I can hardly seen how cricket could be included in the Olympic programme. Cricket is just joining 29 other recognised federations, most of them never to be included in the Olympic programme.

If there is really now women team in cricket, then I can hardly seen how cricket could be included in the Olympic programme. Cricket is just joining 29 other recognised federations, most of them never to be included in the Olympic programme.

Well, actually, I should have pointed it out in reply to Guardians post, but there sure IS Women's Cricket, and even a Women's Cricket World Cup.

Personally, if there is synchronised swimming and table tennis in the games i dont see why cricket doesnt have a place. Expect 20-20 Cricket in 2020!

Cricket is played by both men and women in every continent. Lets not forget India (with over 1bn people and a likely 2020 bidder) is cricket mad.

Probably the best thing about cricket is, at current, if cricket was included in the Olympics, it is likely that all the worlds best players would attend. I couldnt see any of the major cricket countries fielding lackluster teams for the games. This would not occur if sports like golf or rugby 7's where included...U21's Olympic golf anyone!?

Probably the best thing about cricket is, at current, if cricket was included in the Olympics, it is likely that all the worlds best players would attend. I couldnt see any of the major cricket countries fielding lackluster teams for the games. This would not occur if sports like golf or rugby 7's where included...U21's Olympic golf anyone!?

Didn't work for cricket for the Commonwealth Games _ that's been the big factor why it hasn't made it again since KL 1998 _ none of the big test nations will commit to their top teams.

Rugby 7s is a different kettle of fish. It has way of a head start over Cricket getting Olympic admission. The 7s circuit is established and prestigious in its own right. In many ways, it's not so much a stripped down version of the main game as a code of its own.

Didn't work for cricket for the Commonwealth Games _ that's been the big factor why it hasn't made it again since KL 1998 _ none of the big test nations will commit to their top teams.

Weren't the KL games in early febuary though? (correct me if i am wrong). An Olympic Games is most certainly to be in August/September...which avoids clashing with the November-Febuary southern hemisphere cricket season, and is just following the major northern hemisphere July playing period.

I really dont see why most, if not all of Australia's cricket team would attend. Remember CWG's Cricket was broadcast mainly to nations that already play it (India, England, Commonwealth etc...), while an Olympic broadcast sends it to more than 200 nations including big markets like the US, Europe and China. If the quality of world cups continues to decline like it is i wouldnt be surprised in an Olympic competition, partnered with a 20-20 WC arnt the ICC's showcase events come 2020.

I do remeber reading once that China wants to have a full on national team by 2015 and would be interested in hosting a WC.

Well, London 2012 seems to be the best offing for cricket and the rugbys. But is that the year the host is allowed 2 indigenous sports, begins?

Problem w/ cricket is that (1) it may require another whole new venue?

(2) Besides, it must be played in at least 35 nations spread out over at least 3 or 4 continents.

(3) Of the top 5 major, populous Summer Games sporting nations (the US, Russia, Germany, China, and Oz), it really has a following only in OZ. Other than the major CW nations (India, Pakistan, the UK, So. Africa, etc.), it does not have a major following in South & Central Americas, and the rest of Europe, Asia, Africa. If India and the UK were to breakthrough into the top 8 nations above, the cricket's chances would be greatly improved.

(4) And it cannot go on indefinitely (i.e., for days). If you've noticed, ALL Olympic sports conclude within a specified few hours' time.

Archived