New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may be a little late but it sounds definitive:

Olympics to be reduced to 25 sports by 2020

Wednesday, 29 November 2006

The Olympics will be reduced from 28 sports to 25 by the time of the 2020 Games while the voting procedure to ensure sports’ Olympic status has been altered.

Following a two-day meeting in Kuwait, the IOC agreed that a majority of votes will be needed to bring in a sport compared to the current two thirds and the new system will come into affect next year.

The IOC said the changes would make the process of introducing new sports more exciting.

‘This will be more interesting for sports wanting to come in," said IOC Olympic Games executive director Gilbert Felli. ‘It will make the process less conservative and more flexible.’

The reduction in the number of sports in the Olympic line-up will be a gradual process. 2008 Beijing Games will be the last to feature a core of 28 sports as the decision had already been taken to remove baseball and softball from the London Games in 2012.

For the 2016 Games, the IOC will have a core of 26 with the possibility of introducing two more but by 2020 only 25 sports will feature.

The reduction in the number of sports with Olympic status is aimed at lessening the logistical cost of staging the Games, thus enabling a greater number of cities to viably bid to host the Olympics."

That would be very great. did you know one thing I don't really agree with in some of these games? They are just too exercise-like to be called sports. Maybe Dancing would soon be considered for Olympic as a game.

That would be very great. did you know one thing I don't really agree with in some of these games? They are just too exercise-like to be called sports. Maybe Dancing would soon be considered for Olympic as a game.

Indeed, BALLROOM DANCING is one of those are knocking to get in. And it makes for absolutely GREAT television; except there are all those stupid sweaty purists who only want 'pure sport.' Pweeehh! If I had my way, I'd remove Athletics and put in Ballroom Dancing in the Main Stadium!!

Could rugby be voted in for 2016?

Link: World Games Website-> Rugby: From Maul To Maul

Beginning quote, but not seen in article itself: "IOC President Jacques Rogge, a former rugby player himself, looks at at the 15-a-side game after the 2007 World Cup ... and prior to the evaluation of sevens' next bid to become Olympic in 2016."

They've been trying for a while, and were up for the vote a year ago with three others with none of them being approveed. Anyway, if Rugby got in the games, it would be the fast, frantic and exciting Sevens version rather than the full 15-a-side game.

Indeed, BALLROOM DANCING is one of those are knocking to get in. And it makes for absolutely GREAT television; except there are all those stupid sweaty purists who only want 'pure sport.' Pweeehh! If I had my way, I'd remove Athletics and put in Ballroom Dancing in the Main Stadium!!

Looks like we're slowly buuilding up a support base Baron. We may yet see ChaCha in Chicago 2016!

You don't really care about this piffle do you?

No, that's partly why I posted it. It made me laugh that people actually complained to the BBC!

(though she was one of the best dancers; I did see it on Saturday :unsure: and she probably shouldn't have been voted off tbh)

Looks like we're slowly buuilding up a support base Baron. We may yet see ChaCha in Chicago 2016!

Hahahaaaaaaa...ooooooooooooooo! JEEZ! Chacha! Hahaha...! That game would be introduce from Asia--- it's sound like the chaolin's. Oh no! Thank God am here to witness laughter too.

Hahahaaaaaaa...ooooooooooooooo! JEEZ! Chacha! Hahaha...! That game would be introduce from Asia--- it's sound like the chaolin's. Oh no! Thank God am here to witness laughter too.

Actually, Cha Cha's a mainstream dance in ballroom dancing competitions. It's a derivative of the Cuban rhumba.

Wikim - Cha Cha

Seconded. I really hope Synchronized Skating makes it to Sochi.

I think the Scandinavian countries would want to make it possible. Even though I haven't really caught on the event yet, it seems to be popular amongst countries like Sweden and Finland. When I saw a repeat of the last such World Championships in the event, they were basically on top again.

I think Synchronized Skating is only for hard-core figure skating fans. A lot of people have a hard enuf time keeping a straight face w/ the costumes and maneuvers of the 4 singles-and-pairs disciplines. What more w/ Synchro Skating. It would also be very hard to explain to viewers what the determining factors are, even though it's primarily getting everybody synchornized. (Is the discipline's judging criteria the same as the present 4?) With short-track speed-skating sharing the same venue, would the schedule even allow for a 5th FS discipline? It will also present a security nightmare backstage.

Much as I would love to see it, I think the IOC lets the 'synchronized' fringe have their fun in the Summer w/ swimming and diving.

I think Synchronized Skating is only for hard-core figure skating fans. A lot of people have a hard enuf time keeping a straight face w/ the costumes and maneuvers of the 4 singles-and-pairs disciplines. What more w/ Synchro Skating. It would also be very hard to explain to viewers what the determining factors are, even though it's primarily getting everybody synchornized. (Is the discipline's judging criteria the same as the present 4?) With short-track speed-skating sharing the same venue, would the schedule even allow for a 5th FS discipline? It will also present a security nightmare backstage.

Much as I would love to see it, I think the IOC lets the 'synchronized' fringe have their fun in the Summer w/ swimming and diving.

You are sadly right when it comes to ice availability, Baron. There is only one day of free ice for the Sochi Olympics (the day of the closing ceremonies). That does leave an option, tough: using the secondary hockey venue after the hockey preliminaries are completed.

And yes, Synchro Skating does have the same judging system that the other ISU figure skating disciplines.

You are sadly right when it comes to ice availability, Baron. There is only one day of free ice for the Sochi Olympics (the day of the closing ceremonies). That does leave an option, tough: using the secondary hockey venue after the hockey preliminaries are completed.

And yes, Synchro Skating does have the same judging system that the other ISU figure skating disciplines.

R Sochi's Opening and Closing scheduled for an open air arena or for one of the skating arenas? If not, the main FS arena is used for the Gala Exhibition, usually on the last afternoon -- and then everybody proceeds to the main stadium for the Closing. So I think unless Synchro Skating will really bring in big numbers for American television, it'll be a long time before we see it in the WOGs. But they may give it a test to see.

See, the Synchronized Swimming, while it does look campy with all those sudden jerky movements (which I think are done to clear water clogged into their ears -- but they can't exactly stick their fingers in there durig performance), with underwater shots and all that, you can see it is an EXTREMELY Diffcult sport combining grace and great athleticism. Plus, you see a lot of skin. That's good for TV revenues. Whereas Synchro Skating looks relatively like a breeze, and the only 2 things to look out for are: not stupid-looking costumes (there are enough of those in the men's singles competition) and to keep in line. (Plus you also get a lot of less than shapely figures particiapting in those Synchro-Skating teams. I've seen them. So for viewers at home, it provides more for comic relief and catty talk rather full enjoyment of a legitimate sport. )

See, the Synchronized Swimming, while it does look campy with all those sudden jerky movements (which I think are done to clear water clogged into their ears -- but they can't exactly stick their fingers in there durig performance), with underwater shots and all that, you can see it is an EXTREMELY Diffcult sport combining grace and great athleticism. Plus, you see a lot of skin. That's good for TV revenues. Whereas Synchro Skating looks relatively like a breeze, and the only 2 things to look out for are: not stupid-looking costumes (there are enough of those in the men's singles competition) and to keep in line. (Plus you also get a lot of less than shapely figures particiapting in those Synchro-Skating teams. I've seen them. So for viewers at home, it provides more for comic relief and catty talk rather full enjoyment of a legitimate sport. )

Hmm, you're right. I watched the 2007 Synchronized Skating World Championships videos again and it's not really mind-blowing compared with Synchronized Swimming and Rhythmic Gymnastics. It doesn't have the precise and polished look of Pairs, Singles Skating and Ice Dance. It looks somewhat easy, something that my friends and I can whip up during an afternoon of skating at the mall rink.

Synchronized skating etc. wont be included for a long time. Right now it's in the same boat curling was a couple decades ago. Moderately popular internationally but because the funding and dominance only came from two or three nations and there was a very wide spread between successful nations and unsuccessful nations, it wasn't considered to be "Olympic". In fact curling was only included in Nagano due to the successful heavy lobbying of Japan's curling association, and that was most likely due to it not being associated with a curling powerhouse nation, thus helping attach the "Olympic sport value" to curling.

Synchronized skating etc. wont be included for a long time. Right now it's in the same boat curling was a couple decades ago. Moderately popular internationally but because the funding and dominance only came from two or three nations and there was a very wide spread between successful nations and unsuccessful nations, it wasn't considered to be "Olympic". In fact curling was only included in Nagano due to the successful heavy lobbying of Japan's curling association, and that was most likely due to it not being associated with a curling powerhouse nation, thus helping attach the "Olympic sport value" to curling.

But if I endorse it, it will be a go!! :lol:

And golf sticks its beak in again:

SHANGHAI, Nov 7 Reuters - World number two Phil Mickelson expects to see golf on the Olympic program in the near future, believing its inclusion would act as a spur to help the sport develop around the world.

The 37-year-old American impressed when he stopped off with his family in Beijing -- venue of next year's Olympics -- on his way to Shanghai to play in this week's $US5 million ($A5.41 million) Champions tournament.

``I think Beijing is going to be a wonderful host for the Olympics,'' the three-times major winner told reporters on Wednesday.

``Hopefully in the future, golf will become an Olympic sport, because then the Olympic foundations from every country will start to fund and support golf in all the countries throughout the world and golf will become a much more global sport.''

Golf faces a tough task getting into the world's biggest multi-sports event as the International Olympic Committee are trying to contract the size of the Games.

``The earliest it would be in the Olympics is 2016, the absolute earliest possible,'' Mickelson said.

``Hopefully I'll still be playing and maybe have a chance but I think it would be better if it was for amateur golfers.

``As professionals, we have a chance to compete in Ryder Cups, President Cups and World Cups and represent our country in so many different ways.

Olease no, I can't think of a more boring inclusion.

Archived