New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

One of the subjects that will be discussed at the 119th IOC Session is the evaluation of the WINTER SPORTS AND EVENTS that are currently in the Olympic Winter Games. Remember, they gave their thumbs-up for the event of SKI CROSS to be performed at Vancouver 2010.

Link: IOC: 2014 Olympic Sports Programme On IOC Session's Agenda

By the way, if any of you Olympic fans want, there is a 134-PAGE .pdf file for any of you to read. The link to it is within the link to the article above.

This is probably the issue I'm most interested to hear about from the session. As far as the 2014 host vote goes, I'm not emotionally attached to any of them, nor down on any _ I'd be happy with whoever wins for various reasons. The sports program, though, I can see some good politicking and in-fighting in store.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sport program vote isn't anything big, they are just deciding if Biathlon, Skating, Skiing, Ice Hockey, Curling, Bobsled and Luge will be staged at the 2014 Olympic Games. Don't expect any kind of changes.

Latest IOC article about sports in the Olympic Games (winter and summer).

Link: IOC: Simplified Voting Process For The Olympic Programme

Quote about the SUMMER OLYMPICS: "The number of core sports has been increased from 15 to 25 from the Games of 2020 onwards. For the 2016 Games of the Olympiad, the 26 core sports from London 2012 will be proposed. The maximum number of sports included in the programme remains capped at 28. In the future, the Session will cast a bloc vote for 25 core summer sports, proposed by the EB. These 25 core sports will need a simple majority to be included in the Olympic programme. If no majority is reached to vote for the core, additional rounds of votes by the Session, determined by the President, will be implemented. IOC President Jacques Rogge complimented this new system for "providing a better flexibility to change the Olympic programme through the introduction of up to three new sports".

Quote about the WINTER OLYMPICS: "Seven core sports will be included in the programme for the Olympic Winter Games. The voting procedure by the Session for these seven winter sports is the same as for the summer sports. Today, the Session applied the bloc vote for the first time and voted for the seven core sports to be on the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, of which Sochi was elected as host city two days ago."

What is Bandy? I have never heard of it.

This is from Wikipedia:

Bandy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bandy is a winter sport, where a ball is hit with a stick. It is an ancestor of ice hockey. The game is played outdoors on a sheet of ice, and has rules that are similar to association football.

An old name for bandy is hockey on the ice, due to the sport essentially being "field hockey played on ice". In most parts of the world, the term bandy is used nowadays. Notable exceptions are Russia, where bandy is still called hockey with ball, and ice hockey is called hockey with puck and Finland, where bandy is ice ball and ice hockey is ice puck.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy

And floorball?

Floorball

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A floorball match between powerhouses Sweden (yellow) and Finland (white)Floorball is an indoor team sport played using composite or carbon sticks with a plastic vented blade where the aim is to put a light plastic ball into the opponent's goal. Floorball is most popular in Sweden, Finland and Switzerland, and is also played in several other countries, such as Norway and the Czech Republic. It is gaining popularity in many other places as well, including some countries outside Europe, such as Canada, Singapore, Japan, Australia and the United States.

Floorball is played in a court by six players per side. The objective of the game is to score goals by playing a plastic ball into the opponent's goal net, which is placed at the opposite end of the rink. The players may control and redirect the ball using a stick with a blade that is often curved at one end. Players must not use their hands, arms or head to play the ball on purpose. One may use other body parts. It is also allowed to play (especially stop) the ball once by foot, but not to score goals or pass to teammates.

A floorball team consist of 5 field players and one goalkeeper, whose primary job is to stop the ball from entering the net, and who is permitted unique gear towards that end. The goalkeeper is not permitted a stick. The playing field is 40 x 20 metres and enclosed by a board with rounded corners (50 cm tall). The goal cages are 1.60 x 1.15 m and 65 cm deep. The sticks are made of plastic or carbon and a bit over 1 metre long. The shaft is no longer than 99 cm and a blade of a different kind of plastic is attached to its end. The ball is made of plastic, is 72 mm in diameter, has a maximum weight of 23 grams, and has 26 holes in it.

A world championship tournament is played every two years. The current reigning world champions are Sweden (women, 2007) and Sweden (men, 2006).

You can read the rest of the article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floorball

So it seems basically that the sports program for 2012 is set, and it's 2016 where the new 25+3 rule will come in.

The question for me now is (and maybe this is still up in the air anyway), is it the IOC that is going to dictate what the other +3 sports are? Or is it going to be dependent on the bidding cities? Will Chicago, for example, go in with a bid plan touting baseball and softball, karate for Tokyo, Rio touting, well, ballroom dancing?

I'dm like it if the program can be tailored to the host, but nothing has been made clear if this is the plan or not.

So it seems basically that the sports program for 2012 is set, and it's 2016 where the new 25+3 rule will come in.

The question for me now is (and maybe this is still up in the air anyway), is it the IOC that is going to dictate what the other +3 sports are? Or is it going to be dependent on the bidding cities? Will Chicago, for example, go in with a bid plan touting baseball and softball, karate for Tokyo, Rio touting, well, ballroom dancing?

I'dm like it if the program can be tailored to the host, but nothing has been made clear if this is the plan or not.

I would think the 3 new sport slots for 2016 would be those germane to the possible host and its unique setting. The IOC is so slow behind the ball. Do we have to guide them thru the paces?

I would think the 3 new sport slots for 2016 would be those germane to the possible host and its unique setting. The IOC is so slow behind the ball. Do we have to guide them thru the paces?

But that's the thing _ will it be a decision of the hosts (bidders), or will the IOC wait till they see the results and then quickly flip through their list of eligible sports and come up with three THEY think should be held?

But that's the thing _ will it be a decision of the hosts (bidders), or will the IOC wait till they see the results and then quickly flip through their list of eligible sports and come up with three THEY think should be held?

I believe it will be the executive board decision.

I think the winning bid will also have its role on the choice. If not on what basis will the IOC choose 3 sports for 2016... and then the same (or different) 3 sports for 2020?

Exactly.

Also remember, even if the Executive Board decides the sports, it is still up for the IOC membership to vote on them (the rules were just changed so that new sports need only get a simple majority). It makes no ssense otherwise if the 2016 race is run on the assumption of various sports, and in the day or two after the decision dictates new sports that have not been considered by the new host before.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about pressure on the Chinese softball team, as it prepares for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Link: USA Today: Chinese Softball Has Uncertain Future Beyond Beijing Games

usat_logo2.gif

Quote 1: "I think without the sport being in the Olympic Games in 2012, I really don't know if there will be a national team in China anymore from what I'm hearing," said Bastian, a member of the Chinese team's coaching staff. "I don't know if they're going to give us the same type of funding they've given us."

Quote 2: "China is among the teams trying to catch a dominant United States squad in international softball. The U.S. has won all three Olympic gold medals in the sport, which was voted out of the 2012 London Games but could be reinstated for 2016."

This might be the new feature in the 2016 bidding: what 3 new/returning sports would your city offer? So it will give the Chicago, Rio and Tokyo bids a little more individual flavor -- and would show ingenuity in how 3 new/returning sports could be played in a minimum of 'new' construction -- perhaps having 2 fit among the existing venues.

(As far as a Chicago bid goes, certainly , it will offer Baseball and the venue would be Wrigley Field. Softball would be the other -- so there would be one (1) remaining sport that should pick up a few votes w/in the IOC. Men's Synchornized swimming? )

Better yet - beach football/soccer B) That would be an exciting well-attended sport.

I don't think the local Organizing Committees would go with that since it would mean BIGGER athlete allocations PLUS, it would have to be something that would fit into the Beach Volleyball venues.

Any new sports for 2016 would have to be say, allowing for some 50-60 new athletes from around the world. I mean even the IOC is committed to having a cap of 10,000 athletes at the Village. So the bigger team sports like reglar soccer for example, where there are 22 team members, will probably have to be cut to, say 20 members. And they might have to cut at Athletics and Swimming -- but those are 2 marquee sports of a Summer Olympics -- maybe athlete cuts in Field Hockey or Water Polo.

Beach soccer teams are composed of 5 players (4 + keeper) and 5 possible substitutes, smaller than a full association football team. Still, it would indeed be a surplus of 10 x #NOCs athletes just for this sport.

As for the pitch dimensions,

Beach soccer: L = 35-37m; W = 26-28m

Beach volley: L = 26-28m; W = 18-20m

so beach soccer wouldn't fit into beach volley venues, but the opposite could happen.

Another idea would be beach soccer replacing association football. The net result would be a huge decrease in athletes (22 players -> 10 players per team) and cost savings in logistics and transport to all the venues outside the host-city, when beach soccer could be played in a sand-covered venue complex also used for beach volley. I've already said I think FIFA wouldn't be too upset to lose its Olympic label.

Archived