Official 2028 Fantasy Competition Thread

Gamesbids 2028 Olympic Fantasy Bid Competition

1. This thread is for expression of interest in bidding for the competition and as an outline for the competition

2. The process will be as follows:

October 1st to October 7th – Notification of Intention to Bid

November 15th – Submission of Bid Book

November 16th and 17th – Shortlist Voting Begins

November 18th to 23rd - Campaigning

November 24th – Final Voting Begins

3. Bid Requirements: (In a PDF, word or powerpoint maximum 25 pages, minimum 15)

i. Bid Logo

ii. A list of sports to be contested (Maximum 28 sports, 8 of which can be sports not currently on the Olympic Program)

iii. Cultural, Political and Historical aspects of the city, region and nation

iv. A detailed answer to, “what makes your city suitable for an Olympic Games?’

v. A detailed answer to, “what will the Olympic Games do to your city and what will your city add to the Olympic Legacy?”

vi. A guide to the city

vii. A plan for the Olympic Village, Media Village and Media Centre

viii. A list of venues to be used, constructed, please note artificial renderings are not necessary.

ix. A map of the city with highlighted areas for where the venues are located

x. A functional budget, including the sources of the money

xi. A security plan

xii. A visual and cultural concept for the games

xiii. A Legacy Plan

xiv. A guide to the city’s and region’s sport history

xv. A main stadium plan

xvi. A guide to the infrastructure and transportation in the city and surrounding area, with details on improvements and additions that are to be made for the games

xvii. A plan for accommodations, note 80,000 rooms are required.

xviii. A guide to the impact the games will have on the city and why the city wants the games

xix. Environmental and Metrology information

xx. Event dates, please note an events schedule is not necessary.

4. Preliminary Vote:

Voting Will Be As Follows:

Each voter who has registered as a member of Gamesbids ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 23 is eligible to vote.

Each eligible voter will select five cities and rank them from 1 to 5.

1) 10 points

2) 6 points

3) 4 points

4) 3 points

5) 2 Point

After the round of voting is over, any city with more then 50 points is moved onto the shortlist, if less then 5 cities break the 50 point threshold, the next highest scoring cities will be taken into the final round up to five.

5. Final Vote:

Each member will have one vote and cast if for whom they deem worthy of hosting the Olympic Games. A clear majority must be reached (50% +1)

6. Rules:

I. The bid documents must be in PDF, word or powerpoint format

II. All requirements must be in the bid documents as stated above, or the bid will be disqualified

III. There is to be a maximum of two(2) people working on each bid

IV. There is to be no campaigning for votes until November 18th

V. There is to be no counter-campaigning by an participant (meaning as a participant you can not campaign for another bid)

VI. There is to be no campaigning, anti-campaigning, or flaming in any bid thread

VII. There is to be no flaming of a bid by any participant, or member of gamesbids within the forum.

VIII. There is to be no mention, direct or indirect of fellow competitors, as in IOC competitions

IX. Any violations of the rules by a participant will result in the bid being disqualified, and by a member will result in their suffrage being taken away

X. The above rules still apply to all participants whose bid has been eliminated.

You can begin work on your bid at any time, but your official annoucement must be in the timeframe given so as to not interfere with Puppy's competition.

That looks pretty comprehensive!

Just a suggestion _ for those who complain that the results of these comps are more driven by campaigning and personalities than the bids themselves, and those that like to put in lots of work with their graphics, why not hold a few sub-votes in the campaigning week (between the short list announcement and the final votes)?

These could be polls for, eg, best logo, best bidbook, best technical bid etc.

Actually, for the last one, maybe the old "technical evaluation" used in the GBOC's original 2022 short list stage could be used (and filled out by those who have an interest in doing so). I think Ryan and Mo are the ones with the formula for that.

That looks pretty comprehensive!

Just a suggestion _ for those who complain that the results of these comps are more driven by campaigning and personalities than the bids themselves, and those that like to put in lots of work with their graphics, why not hold a few sub-votes in the campaigning week (between the short list announcement and the final votes)?

These could be polls for, eg, best logo, best bidbook, best technical bid etc.

Actually, for the last one, maybe the old "technical evaluation" used in the GBOC's original 2022 short list stage could be used (and filled out by those who have an interest in doing so). I think Ryan and Mo are the ones with the formula for that.

If they PM you are I it, then I would consider using it. The only problem is that after a week of voting, people might be voted out for the real rounds.

Also, since this has been raised to me.

Since you can not official start a bid until October 1st, please PM your intention of bidding so that your work previous to October 1st is not wasted by someone else snaking your city. First come first serve bases, seamus don't bother, I already know your intention.

Roltel made a suggestion of having a pre-competition to select a session hosts. So basically a five page litte thing that describes, hotels, transportation, the city, and the convenction centre that is going to be used.

Is there any takers,

If others are willing to compete, I'm in with Boston.

Also these comp will run from Oct 1st to Oct. 7th.

I take it we can't announce our bids until October 1st. That means no public announcement of 2028 bid cities on the boards right?

I think it is ok to hint it on the 2028 thread (a lot already did so, so you wouldn't be breaking any rules)...I think they mean anything formal, like a formal thread, etc.

and by the way the rules/timeline looks great guys :D

I think it is ok to hint it on the 2028 thread (a lot already did so, so you wouldn't be breaking any rules)...I think they mean anything formal, like a formal thread, etc.

and by the way the rules/timeline looks great guys :D

I think he wants to keep it hush hush until that day. Then everyone can announce their formal bids but in the meantime everyone can start working on it.

I take it we can't announce our bids until October 1st. That means no public announcement of 2028 bid cities on the boards right?

Hmmm. I can't see any harm with announcing beforehand, after all, plenty of people already claimed various cities for 2028 in the months before the WC comp took place. In fact, if you're really keen on doing a bid and want a particular city, it might make sense to stake your claims early. I think the October 1-7 is more a time slot to confirm you're really going ahead to assist in managing the comp.

Hmmm. I can't see any harm with announcing beforehand, after all, plenty of people already claimed various cities for 2028 in the months before the WC comp took place. In fact, if you're really keen on doing a bid and want a particular city, it might make sense to stake your claims early. I think the October 1-7 is more a time slot to confirm you're really going ahead to assist in managing the comp.

As Faster mentioned earlier, if you want to claim a city, PM him and let him know. First come first serve.

Well, we can't do years like, say, 2016, with real existing bid rounds.

And yes, 2020 and 2024 have already been decided and been entered into the GamesBids rollcall of imaginary events hosts. And doing things like quickly slipping in the 2026 contest was made so all our comps were in order and consecutive.

That said, if these things go on too long, we will reach a point where the dates become more science fiction than realistic bid exercises.

I'd like to do something... maybe Berlin, Chicago, or maybe somewhere in Asia. Aaron, if you'd be interested in a bid partner, I'm available and wouldn't want to do it solo if avopidable; the Hotmail account should still be functional if you want to leave a message.

i. Bid Logo

ii. A list of sports to be contested (Maximum 28 sports, 8 of which can be sports not currently on the Olympic Program)

iii. Cultural, Political and Historical aspects of the city, region and nation

iv. A detailed answer to, “what makes your city suitable for an Olympic Games?’

v. A detailed answer to, “what will the Olympic Games do to your city and what will your city add to the Olympic Legacy?”

vi. A guide to the city

vii. A plan for the Olympic Village, Media Village and Media Centre

viii. A list of venues to be used, constructed, please note artificial renderings are not necessary.

x. A functional budget, including the sources of the money

xi. A security plan

xii. A visual and cultural concept for the games

xiii. A Legacy Plan

xiv. A guide to the city’s and region’s sport history

xv. A main stadium plan

xvi. A guide to the infrastructure and transportation in the city and surrounding area, with details on improvements and additions that are to be made for the games

xviii. A guide to the impact the games will have on the city and why the city wants the games

xix. Environmental and Metrology information

xx. Event dates, please note an events schedule is not necessary.

Because of suggestions and rethinking

- you still need maps in the bid book, but areas do not have to be highlighted

since some smaller cities are the preference, 50,000 is fine.

Archived