Music Collection Of The Olympic Ceremonies

rav3n

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info about this album?

Norske Bilder - Sounds and Visions of Norway

NorskeBilder-FrontSmall.jpg

It's a four CD set featuring music from Norwegian artists/performers. Two familiar ones on there are Sissel and Aha. Was it music used in the Cultural Olympiad, or was it just released prior to the games as a promo? (the date on it is 1993). I don't think any of the music on it was used in the ceremonies, and it must have been a limited release because of the number at the bottom beside the Lillehammer '94 logo (000420). I did a Google search but I haven't been able to come up with any other info. Anybody got any more info?

Here's the back cover art/track listing:

NorskeBilder-Back.jpg

Am looking for the music for Entrance of the Athletes of Athens 1896. Anyone happen to have it? :blink:

Might find the info you are looking for here, but it only goes back until 1908:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040907054245/http://members.aol.com/olympicbob/myhomepage/

:P

I stumbled upont his interesting little tidbit on the Coca-Cola website:

Calgary 1988

We broke new ground in 1988 by creating the “Coca-Cola World Chorus,” which performed at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Olympic Winter Games in Canada. Comprised of 43 young people selected from 23 countries through competitions sponsored by local Coca-Cola bottlers, our international chorus performed the specially commissioned signature song of the Games, "Can't You Feel It?” for the local throngs and millions of television viewers. Calgary 1988 also saw the debut of the first Coca-Cola Official Olympic Pin Trading Center, which drew more than 17,000 visitors each day and transformed pin trading into another tradition – “the No. 1 spectator sport of the Olympic Games."

Source: http://www.cocacola.ca/olympics_throughtheyears.htm

I didn't know that that segment of the ceremonies was done by Coke. If that's the case, methinks there has to be a good copy of "Can't You Feel It?" out there somewhere. David Foster's non-lyrical version "Winter Games" is readily available, but "Can't You Feel It?" still eludes me.

And this is also on that same page:

Rome 1960

During the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome, Italian bottlers of Coca-Cola showed their support by presenting thousands of athletes, officials, media and spectators with an original, 45-rpm recording of the favorite song of the day, "Arrivederci Roma."

Rome 1960

During the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome, Italian bottlers of Coca-Cola showed their support by presenting thousands of athletes, officials, media and spectators with an original, 45-rpm recording of the favorite song of the day, "Arrivederci Roma."

That /\/\ plus the song became the Unofficial Song of Rome 1960. It was popularized in the 1958 film SEVEN HILLS OF ROME, starring Mario Lanza (his 2nd to his last film). And then the Rome Olympics were coming up; other Italian-American singers like Jerry Vale and Perry Como picked it up in the US, so by 1960, the song was inexorably tied with Rome 1960 altho it was NEVER written officially for those Olympics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will work, but here is the Medal Ceremony Music from Sydney 2000 - *Call to Glory* by Greg Bowman.

Loved this piece, and really started the emotion charged medal ceremony compositions that we also saw in Athens and Beijing.

Call to Glory

• Like 1

Not sure if this will work, but here is the Medal Ceremony Music from Sydney 2000 - *Call to Glory* by Greg Bowman.

Loved this piece, and really started the emotion charged medal ceremony compositions that we also saw in Athens and Beijing.

Call to Glory

Fantastic!!! For ten years, I've longed to have this great piece of music. I didn't know that such a studio recording existed for public access. Was it on any album? Or how did you find it?

Anyway: In my opinion, it's still the greatest and most uprising medal ceremony music at any of the Olympic Games. For me, Athens', Beijing's and especially Torino's pieces were quite bland compared to it. Vancouver's was much better but still doesn't reach Sydney's in its emotionality.

But I don't understand how someone could vote your post down. One should rather thank you (which I do) for digging up this file. That's why I balanced the result by voting your post up.

I just listened to the "Call to Glory" file and noticed that the actual "chorus" (or how you would call the main melody) is rather short, it's only from 0:39 to 1:56 and again from 2:46 to 3:43. I thought that that part of the tune was much more prominent during the medal ceremonies. But maybe they simply looped that part so that it would take a little bit longer. Anyway, it's still a great piece.

Now the only piece which I'm still missing from Sydney's opening ceremony is that musical piece (of which I couldn't even find the name or the composer) which was played directly after "Tibi Omnes", when the cauldron travelled up the grandstand to its final position and when the fireworks went off. I only know that it's not "Olympic Fireworks" by David Stanhope, since that was one of the musical pieces for the closing ceremony fireworks.

By the way, here's a snippet (directly on the composer's website) of that "Olympic Fireworks" piece by David Stanhope, obviously recorded by the Sydney Brass instead of the Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra which actually recorded the ceremonial music for Sydney 2000.

http://www.davidstanhope.com/sound.html

(Thank goodness that some people do not completely update their websites within ten years -- that snippet is still called "This month's Soundbite"! ;))

Excuse me, Sydney Symphony Orchestra (not Philharmonic).

Fantastic!!! For ten years, I've longed to have this great piece of music. I didn't know that such a studio recording existed for public access. Was it on any album? Or how did you find it?

Anyway: In my opinion, it's still the greatest and most uprising medal ceremony music at any of the Olympic Games. For me, Athens', Beijing's and especially Torino's pieces were quite bland compared to it. Vancouver's was much better but still doesn't reach Sydney's in its emotionality.

But I don't understand how someone could vote your post down. One should rather thank you (which I do) for digging up this file. That's why I balanced the result by voting your post up.

Cheers bro, yeah, not entirely sure about the negative thing to the post was. I did have another rare piece of music used for a cauldron lighting sequence that I've recently come across too.

I've always liked Call to Glory, and got used to it even more when the Australian Rugby Union used it for alot of their game presentations a few years ago.

Its taken me a while to find it, but got it from a friend of a friend - one of those things. haha.

Once more, a great find! Thank you for that (I can't give you another positive vote right now, I've reached my quota of the day ;)).

But do you know, by any chance, the name or composer of that piece I mentioned -- the piece which was played after the end of "Tibi Omnes" when the Sydney cauldron travelled up the grandstand and the fireworks went off?

It's the piece of music starting at 5:07 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-cxAmnuSvs

I don't know for sure, but for some reason, the title *skyline firedance* or something similar seems to be familiar to me for that particular piece of music. That's just a guess though. I will try do abit of research and get back to you. It doesn't seem that it is a David Stanhope piece though, as I think he just composed the Games 2000 Fanfare music and the composition used during the closing ceremonies fireworks start.

Here's another rare studio quality track, the Flaming Arrow Torch theme from Barcelona 92 opening ceremony.

Flaming Arrow

WOOOOOOW! I was looking for it for ages. This one has the exact classical-glorious-olympic pitch. Gives me the shivers. Sorry I can't give you a positive vote now, but many thanks!

Here's another rare studio quality track, the Flaming Arrow Torch theme from Barcelona 92 opening ceremony.

Flaming Arrow

Thank you so much, i've been looking for this Angelo Badalmeti song for ages. Probably the most epic cauldron lightning song, along with Pigorov (2004) and ''The Olympic Flame'' (2010)

Here's another one for you guys from the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony, the Olympic Zeibekiko which opened the show. The composition is the same, but unfortunately it's not the exact Olympic version - sort of lacks the power of it. Still, pretty close, so a good track to have.

Olympic Zeibekiko