Music Collection Of The Olympic Ceremonies

Actually, this is only a recording of the anthem produced on the occasion of the Montreal 1976 Games. It's obvious because this recording was made by a Greek choir and a Greek conductor in Greek language. A German TV channel broadcast Montreal's opening ceremony in the lead-up to the Sydney Olympics (I could still kick myself in the a** that I didn't record it back then), and if I recall correctly, an instrumental version of the Olympic Anthem was used for the hoisting of the Olympic Flag. At least I don't remember the Anthem to be sung by such a distinctive all-male choir.

By the way: The Harry van Hoof arrangement of the Olympic Anthem which can be downloaded at the nationalanthems.us thread you mentioned, too, is exactly the arrangement played (in a shortened version) at each IOC session. At least unless they use such awful singers like in Singapore.

According to the Montreal 1976 Official Report, the anthem overture started to play right when the Olympic Flag arrived into the stadium, carried by eight male athletes and accompanied by four female athletes (these twelve representing Canada's ten provinces and two territories). When the flag arrived onto the pole, the Orpheus Choir (formed by Canadians of greek origin or ancestry) sang the original unaccompained version of the Olympic Hymn by Spirou Samara and Costis Palamas (that's why the pitch is somewhat similar to the one used at Athens 2004).

Another curiosity is that i think some international games after Montreal 76 used this arrangement as somekind of official version of the Olympic Anthem (before the releasing in 1985 of the Harry van Hoof arrangement which, as you say, is used currently on the IOC Sessions). I say this because i remember to have listened to this same version of the anthem at the 1983 Pan American Games Opening Ceremony (when J.A Samaranch hoisted the olympic flag).

Speaking of other musical performances at Montreal 1976 OC, the report says that there was a massive performance of the Canadian Anthem (performed by a World Youth Orchestra composed by musicians from young people's orchestras of thirty countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas), as well for the March of the Athletes directed by Victor Vogel, based on musical pieces composed by Andre Mathieu, which had a very neo-romantic style that had a powerful effect on the athletes and the spectators. If you watch the vid that Christosm posted on Youtube about Montreal 1976, take a look at min. 01:48 and you will see what i'm talking about. Simply superb.

Maybe i should try to search for these ceremonies, since i think these were the first ones to introduce important cultural performances (altought Moscow 1980 is mostly remembered)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From Sydney 2000 OC The Warriors - Percy Grainger During the cauldron journey to the final position on the stadium top, this piece was played just after Tibi Omnes finished. Start at 15:40

Not sure if this will work, but here is the Medal Ceremony Music from Sydney 2000 - *Call to Glory* by Greg Bowman. Loved this piece, and really started the emotion charged medal ceremony compositio

Here's another rare studio quality track, the Flaming Arrow Torch theme from Barcelona 92 opening ceremony. Flaming Arrow

According to the Montreal 1976 Official Report, the anthem overture started to play right when the Olympic Flag arrived into the stadium, carried by eight male athletes and accompanied by four female athletes (these twelve representing Canada's ten provinces and two territories). When the flag arrived onto the pole, the Orpheus Choir (formed by Canadians of greek origin or ancestry) sang the original unaccompained version of the Olympic Hymn by Spirou Samara and Costis Palamas (that's why the pitch is somewhat similar to the one used at Athens 2004).

Oh, you're right. Forgive me my bad memory. I was really certain that they used an instrumental version of the anthem back then, but maybe I confused it with Munich (which had a magnificent arrangement of the anthem, by the way -- sadly, I haven't the facilities to upload it and haven't found the piece anywhere on the web).

Speaking of other musical performances at Montreal 1976 OC, the report says that there was a massive performance of the Canadian Anthem (performed by a World Youth Orchestra composed by musicians from young people's orchestras of thirty countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas), as well for the March of the Athletes directed by Victor Vogel, based on musical pieces composed by Andre Mathieu, which had a very neo-romantic style that had a powerful effect on the athletes and the spectators. If you watch the vid that Christosm posted on Youtube about Montreal 1976, take a look at min. 01:48 and you will see what i'm talking about. Simply superb.

This time, I think my memory serves me right: When the Montreal 1976 OC was broadcast on German TV in 2000, they used the version with the original German comment. And the commentator back then in 1976 actually complained about the music during the parade of nations: He found that it was dull, uniform and also very loud. And he complained that it hadn't any references to the different countries, unlike Kurt Edelhagen's legendary arrangement for the parade of nations in Munich four years earlier. But that was only his two pennies' worth. It's no miracle that the Germans were very eager that Montreal's OC didn't leave a better impression than their own OC in 1972.

This time, I think my memory serves me right: When the Montreal 1976 OC was broadcast on German TV in 2000, they used the version with the original German comment. And the commentator back then in 1976 actually complained about the music during the parade of nations: He found that it was dull, uniform and also very loud. And he complained that it hadn't any references to the different countries, unlike Kurt Edelhagen's legendary arrangement for the parade of nations in Munich four years earlier. But that was only his two pennies' worth. It's no miracle that the Germans were very eager that Montreal's OC didn't leave a better impression than their own OC in 1972.

Well, since i never listened actually to the complete music of Montreal 1976, i can't tell much about, i just said my opinion because of the few things i have hearded from extracts. The two ceremonies had a very different style, and the strong rain the day of the opening on 1976 didn't helped that much (and on the closing ceremony a guy entered the turf an ran naked arround the performers :blink: )

Anyway, Kurt Edelhagen made a great music for the Parade of Nations, as you say, which featured musics of each participant country (for example, when USA entered, they used a special version of ''When the Saints Go Marching in'' as their music theme, and the host country was received with the traditional Polka music). I think the original CD can be finded on eBay or in Amazon.

Anyway, Kurt Edelhagen made a great music for the Parade of Nations, as you say, which featured musics of each participant country (for example, when USA entered, they used a special version of ''When the Saints Go Marching in'' as their music theme, and the host country was received with the traditional Polka music). I think the original CD can be finded on eBay or in Amazon.

Sorry, I have to correct you: For the entrance of West Germany, the traditional song "Hoch auf dem gelben Wagen" ("High Upon The Yellow Carriage" -- a reference to the old stagecoaches) and some other song (I don't know what it's called) were played. Polka is something different.

Oops, sorry, my bad :lol:. Anyway some excerpts of the music used at Munich 1972 can be found here:http://www.olympia72.de/ekecheirija.htm. Incluiding some audio records like the opening speech and entrance of the flag.

The first track below the flame pic is somekind of ancient prayer for peace, but since i don't know much german, maybe Olympian2004 could understand it :P .

I got only one track from the CD Olympia Parade, which are the musics used during Spain, South Korea, United States and East Germany. Anyway it's worth to listen:

Kurt%20Edelhagen%20-%20Olympia%20Parade%202%20klein.jpg

Kurt Edelhagen - Spanien: Flores d'España | Korea: Hongkong Parade | USA: Washington Walk | DDR: An Der Elbe

The first track below the flame pic is somekind of ancient prayer for peace, but since i don't know much german, maybe Olympian2004 could understand it :P .

Yes, it was an ancient oracle called "Ekecheirija". You can hear the text read by stadium announcer Joachim Fuchsberger when you click on the MP3 link.

The text reads:

"Abide by the old custom.

Preserve your country.

Stay away from war

and give a signal to the world

for brotherly friendship

when the time of the quadrennial Games

approaches."

By the way: You said that the website contains also an audio recording of the "entrance of the flag". Did you mean the Olympic Flag? If yes, where is that file? I didn't know that the website also has a recording of that segment. That would be great because as I said, Munich had a magnificent instrumental arrangement of the Olympic Anthem.

Thanks for the translation Olympian. About the sound file, i'm sorry, it only contains the opening speech by the President of Germany and some kind of fanfare signalizing the entrance of the flag, but not the anthem.

Here is the file: http://www.olympia72.de/reportagen.mp3

I see. But what you hear after Gustav Heinemann's opening speech is not the introduction to the entrance of the Olympic Flag. It's the moment when Günter Zahn climbed the last steps to the cauldron and finally lit it. By the way, the recording seems to be a part of a documentation of the live broadcasts on German radio during the Munich 1972 Games.

Here's the transcription of the whole clip:

"[Live commentator:] Gustav Heinemann erhebt sich, um die Spiele zu eröffnen, meine Damen und Herren. Und mit ihm das ganze Rund.

[President Heinemann:] Ich erkläre die Olympischen Spiele -- München 1972 -- zur Feier der XX. Olympiade der Neuzeit für eröffnet!

[Narrator:] Und dann erreichte das Olympische Feuer nach seinem langen Weg über mehr als 5000 Kilometer von Griechenland nach München das Stadion. Der 18-jährige Günter Zahn aus Passau trug es als letzter Läufer hinauf zur Feuerschale.

[Live commentator:] Die letzte Stufe. Er läuft etwa zehn Meter rechts herüber, steht dort oben und jubelt. Und die Menschen haben sich selbst von ihren Plätzen dort unten auf der Gegentribüne gedreht. Und jetzt ist es soweit: Er taucht die Fackel hinein in diese Schale -- und das Feuer brennt!"

Translation:

"[Live commentator:] Gustav Heinemann rises to open the Games, ladies and gentlemen. And with him the whole round [=the whole stadium].

[President Heinemann:] I declare open the Olympic Games -- Munich 1972 --, celebrating the XX Olympiad of the modern era!

[Narrator:] And then the Olympic Flame reached the stadium, after its long way of more than 5,000 kilometres from Greece to Munich. The 18-year-old Günter Zahn from Passau carried it as last runner up to the cauldron.

[Live commentator:] The last step. He runs about ten metres to the right, stands there and cheers. And even the people down there at the opposite grandstand have turned from their seats. And now the moment has come: He dips the torch into that cauldron -- and the fire is burning!"

A friend of mine, Erik Bell, helped me to get this (altought i think the original file is on NationalAnthems.us). Before the Olympic Hymn of Spiros Samaras was aproved as the official anthem of the games (in 1960), the olympics were permitted to use their own olympic anthem. Probably the most distinguished case was the Olympische Hymne in the Berlin 1936 Olympic Games (the nazi ones), composed by Richard Strauss (the one written for the Berlin Olympics).

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympische_Hymne) : In 1932, Richard Strauss was approached by Dr. Theodor Lewald, the German Olympic Committee’s representative to the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The German committee desired an anthem composed for the 1936 Summer Olympics to be held in Berlin. Early in 1933, Strauss agreed to compose an Olympic Hymn, with the condition that a suitable text be found to set to music. However in 1933, the IOC chose Bradley Keeler's composition, written for the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics, as the official Olympic anthem for all time. The IOC however accepted Lewald's proposal to allow Germany its own Olympic anthem for the Berlin games.

Gerhard Hauptmann initially agreed to write the required text, but he never produced it. Therefore the text was determined by competition. Wilhelm von Scholz, President of the German Poets’ Academy, won first place but his composition (a Germanic ode devoted to Siegfried’s battles) was considered far too nationalistic. A second competition resulted in 3,000 texts submitted. Most were unsuitable, but from fifty possibilities, four were sent to the composer. Strauss chose Robert Lubahn’s and said he was "extraordinarily satisfied" with it. Lubahn, an unemployed Berlin actor, received 1,000 Reichsmarks on September 22, 1934 for his poem. It consists of three stanzas, each of which ends with the word “Olympia”.

Here is the file: Richard Strauss - Olympische Hymne

Also i leave the lyrics of the song (this were the lyrics used at the Opening Ceremony in 1936):

Völker! Seid des Volkes Gäste, kommt durch's offne Tor herein!

Friede sei dem Völkerfeste! Ehre soll der Kampfspruch sein.

Junge Kraft will Mut beweisen, heißes Spiel Olympia!

deinen Glanz in Taten preisen, reines Ziel: Olympia.

Vieler Länder Stolz und Blüte kam zum Kampfesfest herbei;

alles Feuer das da glühte, schlägt zusammen hoch und frei.

Kraft und Geist naht sich mit Zagen. Opfergang Olympia!

Wer darf deinen Lorbeer tragen, Ruhmesklang: Olympia?

Wie nun alle Herzenschlagen in erhobenem Verein,

soll in Taten und in Sagen Eidestreu das Höchste sein.

Freudvoll sollen Meistersiegen, Siegesfest Olympia!

Freude sei noch im Erliegen, Friedensfest: Olympia.

Olympia! Olympia! Olympia!

A photo of the rehearsals at the Berlin Olympiastadion, with Richard Strauss directing the orchestra

rs111.jpg

PD: Olympian, if you can help us with a correct translation of the anthem to english, i would be thankful.

This is a thread to post the musics played on the opening & closing ceremonies of the olympic games (and another games like the Pan Am or Commonwealth). For all the fans of the OC and CC.

Upload your music files on this page: www.filefactory.com

1980S_emblem_m.gif

Moscow 1980

A lot of songs played on the ceremonies.

http://anp.lib.ru/songs/l_m_sprt.shtml

1984S_emblem_m.gif

Los Angeles 1984

The song ''The Olympian'' (lighting of the olympic cauldron by Rafer Johnson)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/6f5eb9/

Panamericanos_pindianap1987.gif

Indianapolis 1987 (Pan Am Games)

Official Fanfare

http://www.filefactory.com/file/67d8ed/

1992S_emblem_m.gif

Barcelona 1992

ALL of the olympic fanfares of Carles Santos, played on the Opening and closing of the games. Click the music icon on the right side of the names to play them (the Bienvenidos song is a sample and not the complete song, sorry)

http://www.starzik.com/mp3/produits/Musica...icas-39669.html

El Cant dels Ocells, by Pau Casals (at the closing ceremony, during the extinction of the olympic flame)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/6071ff/

1996S_emblem_m.gif

Atlanta 1996

The Power of the Dream, by Celine Dion (opening ceremony)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/45b297/

Call To All Nations, by Mickey Hart, played at the beggining of the Opening Ceremony (and on other parts of the OC, if i remember).Just a sample, sorry, if someone have the complete song please contact me or post it here

http://www.filefactory.com/file/eeed34/

Reach, by Gloria Estefan (closing ceremony & official theme).

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3d9ff3/

Summon the Heroes, by John Williams

http://www.filefactory.com/file/130f30/

Georgia on my mind (not the version played on the OC, but the one singed by Ray Charles)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/0bfd69/

2000S_emblem_m.gif

Sydney 2000

The Man from Snowy River (at the beggining of the Opening Ceremony)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1294f7/

Olympic Fanfare performed by Swing City, at the entrance of Samaranch & the General Gouvernor of Australia.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3d50d9/

2002W_emblem_m.gif

Salt Lake 2002

Fragile, by Sting (without the violin guy)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c62d24/

02-02-08.gif

Manchester 2002 (Commonwealth Games)

Dont Stop Movin', by S Club 7 (opening ceremony)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/131971/

2004S_emblem_m.gif

Athens 2004

Adagio for Strings, by DJ Tiesto (Parade of the Athletes)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ee7059/

I didn't post Oceania of Bjork for obvious reasons xD

PD: If the files appears without extension, rename them and write, at the end of the name, ''.mp3''

I heard it all in a satellite radio, and it was unlimited music (non-stop) try to check that one on satellite radio. Hope this help you more

Here is the file: Richard Strauss - Olympische Hymne

Also i leave the lyrics of the song (this were the lyrics used at the Opening Ceremony in 1936):

Völker! Seid des Volkes Gäste, kommt durch's offne Tor herein!

Friede sei dem Völkerfeste! Ehre soll der Kampfspruch sein.

Junge Kraft will Mut beweisen, heißes Spiel Olympia!

deinen Glanz in Taten preisen, reines Ziel: Olympia.

Vieler Länder Stolz und Blüte kam zum Kampfesfest herbei;

alles Feuer das da glühte, schlägt zusammen hoch und frei.

Kraft und Geist naht sich mit Zagen. Opfergang Olympia!

Wer darf deinen Lorbeer tragen, Ruhmesklang: Olympia?

Wie nun alle Herzenschlagen in erhobenem Verein,

soll in Taten und in Sagen Eidestreu das Höchste sein.

Freude sei noch im Erliegen, Friedensfest: Olympia.

Olympia! Olympia! Olympia!

That is a pretty rough, literal (and of course not very poetic) translation, so you should better not add it to Wikipedia (if you intended to do so):

"Peoples! Be the people's guest, come in through the open gate!

Peace be upon the festival of peoples! Honour shall be the slogan of strife.

Young strength wants to prove courage, hot game Olympia!

Praise your splendour with deeds, pure destination: Olympia.

Many countries' pride and bloom came here to the festival of strife;

all fire that glowed there merges together highly and freely.

Strength and spirit approaches with hesitation. Self-sacrifice Olympia!

Who may wear your laurel, sound of glory: Olympia?

While now all hearts are beating in distinguished union,

loyalty to the oath shall be the highest value in deeds and sagas.

Champions shall win joyfully, festival of victory Olympia!

Joy shall be even in defeat, festival of peace: Olympia.

Champions shall win joyfully, festival of victory Olympia!

Olympia! Olympia! Olympia!"

• 1 month later...

Hi all, does anybody happen to have the complete OST for Sydney 2000 opening? I would love to have it, so please upload it somewhere if you do.

rav3n, if you're reading this, I tried to send you a PM, but your box is full. You had uploaded that OST to filefactory a while ago (page 2 of this thread), but the link has expired. Would you be kind enough to re-upload it, or point me to a current link?

Thank,.

You can reach me by email

Hi all, does anybody happen to have the complete OST for Sydney 2000 opening? I would love to have it, so please upload it somewhere if you do.

rav3n, if you're reading this, I tried to send you a PM, but your box is full. You had uploaded that OST to filefactory a while ago (page 2 of this thread), but the link has expired. Would you be kind enough to re-upload it, or point me to a current link?

Thank,.

You can reach me by email

Hello there Pkiachule1. Sadly i don't have time for the moment to upload the OST, but you can find it on eMule (i think also on Bittorrent), you should try these programs.

See you ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...