Music Collection Of The Olympic Ceremonies

From Athens 2004 cauldron light song

Dmitri Shostakovich - Pirogov Suite Finale

http://hotfile.com/dl/123663156/b3d510b/Dmitry_Shostakovich_Pirogov_Suite_finale.mp3.html

From Sydney 2000 cauldron light song

The Berlioz Te deum - Tibi Omnes

http://hotfile.com/dl/123662712/8d638f8/18_Tibi_Omnes_From_The_Berlioz_Te_Deum.mp3.html

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From Sydney 2000 OC The Warriors - Percy Grainger During the cauldron journey to the final position on the stadium top, this piece was played just after Tibi Omnes finished. Start at 15:40

Not sure if this will work, but here is the Medal Ceremony Music from Sydney 2000 - *Call to Glory* by Greg Bowman. Loved this piece, and really started the emotion charged medal ceremony compositio

Here's another rare studio quality track, the Flaming Arrow Torch theme from Barcelona 92 opening ceremony. Flaming Arrow

• 2 months later...

Not a direct link here, but I managed to find the memorable Olympic Welcome Joik from the Opening Ceremony of Lillehammer 94.

Search on iTunes *Dalveleaikkat* by Nils-Aslak Valkeapaa .

While you're there, check out Fanitullen (the version from Sigbjorn Bernhoft Osa), another piece from the opening folk segment of the Opening Ceremony.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now this is a big treat -- the complete soundtrack for the Beijing opening ceremony. It was never released for sale but only given as a present to some VIPs who attended the opening ceremony. Some sold the soundtrack on Ebay and from there it found its way via an "anonymous source" to the guy who uploaded it on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OlympicsBeijing2008/videos

This is still my favourite piece from the opening ceremony's score - so simple and emotional. Great to hear it without cheers and TV commentators talking:

• Like 2

Now this is a big treat -- the complete soundtrack for the Beijing opening ceremony. It was never released for sale but only given as a present to some VIPs who attended the opening ceremony. Some sold the soundtrack on Ebay and from there it found its way via an "anonymous source" to the guy who uploaded it on Youtube:

If you know where to look, there is a rar file with this soundtrack floating around online. It's 3 discs worth of music, 320 kbps mp3. There's actually a bunch of official and unofficial albums for Beijing 2008 floating around out there.

If you know where to look, there is a rar file with this soundtrack floating around online. It's 3 discs worth of music, 320 kbps mp3. There's actually a bunch of official and unofficial albums for Beijing 2008 floating around out there.

OK, but I had never seen it so far. Or has someone already posted those files (or links) here?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

^^ Memorable piece. I kinda disliked they didn't included "The Warriors" in the Sydney 2000 official OST like the rest of the tracks, since it was for me one of the most climatic songs ever, when the Cauldron was rising (even if it was unintentional, since the plan was for the Cauldron to finish setting up as soon as Tibi Omnis ended XD)

From Sydney 2000 OC
The Warriors - Percy Grainger
During the cauldron journey to the final position on the stadium top, this piece was played just after Tibi Omnes finished.
Start at 15:40

THANK YOU - I have been wondering for 14 years (TODAY) what this music was, and why there was no Grainger at the Opening- and now I know. Fantastic piece of music, and fantastic piece of Australian musically history from our greatest classical composer.

HAPPY 14th SYDNEY- I rode my bike to work along the faded blue marathon line this morning, rode down the finishing straight of the road races and had some very fond memories.

• 1 month later...

I was looking for the song "The Run Through Time" played at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics but I cant find that song until I discovered this forum and I've seened one post where have one link to download that song, the problem is, that link doesn't work and I ask you if you can upload that song again, thank you, and greetings from Chile.

From Sydney 2000 OC
The Warriors - Percy Grainger
During the cauldron journey to the final position on the stadium top, this piece was played just after Tibi Omnes finished.
Start at 15:40

Great find, thank you! Just like Torchbearer, I wondered all those years which piece that was - and it's truly a magnificent one, now that I can listen to it in its entirety. It was never really mentioned in all those articles and other texts written about Sydney's opening ceremony, which is a shame because Percy Grainger (even if I have to admit that I didn't know his name until now) seems to have been one of the most important Australian composers.

The ballet has never been performed with this original scenario, but as Grainger scholar Alessandro Servadei says, “I think Graeme Murphy would have a field day!” The Warriors also got unexpected exposure at the opening ceremony of the Sydney Olympics, says Servadei, when “the MSO recording of The Warriors was substituted at the last moment when the cauldron got stuck and the pre-recorded music ran out!” - See more at: http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/Article/261050,percy-grainger-s-hall-of-mirrors.aspx#sthash.9SD4o9sM.dpuf

I was looking for the song "The Run Through Time" played at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics but I cant find that song until I discovered this forum and I've seened one post where have one link to download that song, the problem is, that link doesn't work and I ask you if you can upload that song again, thank you, and greetings from Chile.

Was it the music to this portion with the recall of the past host cities??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq9yWUIsH1k

Found this also: more obscure facts about who and how music for past Olympic ceremonies were put together:

http://olympicstudies.uab.es/volunteers/guegold.html

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Olympic music related.

Jemma Rix, who plays Elphaba in the Australian cast/NZ/Asian cast of Wicked, belted out Heroes Live Forever at yesterday's Melbourne Cup.

I've thought Jemma was amazing since she starred as Elphaba, and this is a pretty good version I think.

• 1 year later...

First there was a video on Youtube with pictures of the Sydney 2000 OTR and sung by a man (so not the song by Tina Arena).

After it was removed from Youtube never found this song again. Anyone remember this song and can you give me the name (or place where to find the video now)?

Notes from the Sochi 2014 Media Guide for Closing Ceremony (c/o TNMP)

Music ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ was composed in 1946 by Dimitri Tiomkin (1894-1979). Tiomkin studied at the St Petersburg Conservatory, where he crossed paths with Prokofiev, and went on to worldwide fame as a composer of Hollywood film scores. He wrote the music for more than 100 films, won four Academy Awards (including two for High Noon) and received 22 nominations (including Best Foreign Language Film for his production of Tchaikovsky starring Innokenty Smoktunovsky).   Music in this segment includes two film scores by Dimitri Tiomkin (1894-1979): ‘Cyrano de Bergerac’composed in 1950 and ‘Giant’ composed in 1956.

My added research:  The score for "It's A Wonderful Life" was originally a symphonic treatment; but director Frank Capra rejected that treatment and so, Tiomkin's original scoring is finally heard at the Closing, and given its world debut, after 68 years.  

Maybe more later...