Third Period:

15. Great Big Sea – Helmethead

16. Barenaked Ladies – If I Had A $1,000,000

17. Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Pump It Up

18. Tag Team – Whoomp! There It Is

19. Europe – The Final Countdown

20. Steam – Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

Overtime:

21. Alan Frew & Stephan Moccio – Free To Be (Canada’s Song)

22. Iron Maiden – Run To The Hills

I Believe (Official CTV Olympic Song)

IBelieveCTVOlympicSong.jpg

Track list:

1. I Believe (English Version) performed by Nikki Yanofsky

2. I Believe (French Version) performed by Annie Villeneuve

3. I Believe (Instrumental Version) performed by Stephan Moccio

Video list

1. In The Studio with Nikki Yanofsky

2. Behind The Scenes with Annie Villeneuve

3. The Making of I Believe with Stephan Moccio

And coming March 1, Sounds of Vancouver 2010: Closing Ceremony.

• 2 weeks later...

And now, to complete the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games music collection...

Sounds of Vancouver 2010: Closing Ceremony Commemorative Album

Vancouver2010ClosingCeremonyLarge.jpg

Track list:

1. Closing Ceremony Fanfare - The 2010 Vancouver Olympic Orchestra - 0:26

2. Strong & Free - The Cast of Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games/The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra - 2:38

3. O Canada (With Glowing Hearts) - Inward Eye/The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra - 2:18

4. Olympic Fanfare And Theme - Massed Orchestras Of The 2010 Vancouver Olympic Wintergames - 4:17

5. Entrance Of The Athletes Of The 2010 Olympic Winter Games - Massed Orchestras Of The 2010 Vancouver Olympic Wintergames - 3:22

6. Let's Have A Party - Eva Avila/Nikki Yanofsky/Derek Miller - 3:17

7. Greek National Anthem - Ariana Chris/The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra - 1:58

8. Olympic Anthem - Ben Heppner/The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra - 3:24

9. Long May You Run - Neil Young - 3:57

10. The Maple Leaf Forever - Michael Bublé - 3:05

11. Made In Canada - The Vancouver 2010 Swing Orchestra/La Bottine Souriante - 7:19

12. Burn It To The Ground - Nickelback - 3:29

13. Girlfriend (Radio Edit) - Avril Lavigne - 3:36

14. Emmeme-moi - Marie Mai - 3:25

15. Cha-Ching - Hedley - 3:29

16. Your Love Is A Lie - Simple Plan - 3:41

17. Wunderkind - Alanis Morissette - 5:16

18. Eye Know Something - K-Os - 3:40

And from the opening ceremony:

19. Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin - Garou - 5:24

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was music ever released from the Beijing OC and Games? I'm interested.

I found on Wikipedia a link for "You and Me" from the Beijing 2008 ceremonies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_and_Me_(Olympic_theme_song)

Under external links, there's a link for the MP3. Just right click and 'save target as'. I think the link goes to the Beijing 2008 site but I couldn't find the song on there for download.

Does anybody know if there were any albums released for Torino '06?

Anybody happen to have David Foster's "Can't you Feel it?", the theme for the Calgary '88 winter games? What I'm looking for is the version with the singing, not the instrumental version (I already got that one).

Rio 2007 here: http://www.4shared.com/file/cFkknMyF/XV_Pan_American_Games_Rio_2007.html

A few notes:

* - The Brazilian Anthem, performed by Elza Soares was performed live and a capella. Not included in the album

1 - Tempos: This one was performed during the welcome part

2 - Viva Essa Energia: This was the theme song of the Games, also called "Share the Energy" or "Viva esa Energia" in spanish.

3 - Chorinho na Gafieira: This one is a sample of the many "chorinhos" (a branch of samba from the early 20th Century) performed while the athletes marched in.

4 - Brasileirinho: This was the one performed during the entrance of Brazil.

* - The Rio 2007 Anthem, performed by the Symphonic Orchestra of Rio de Janeiro, was not included in the album. This music was also performed during the victory ceremonies.

* - O Trenzinho do Caipira, by great brazilian composer Villa-Lobos, performed during the "Energy of the Sun" segment, wasn't included also. The orchestra performed a beautiful arrangement of this one, that unfortunately is unavailable. But you can find tons of versions of it easily on the internet.

* - Águas de Março, by Tom Jobim, performed by the Orchestra during the "Energy of the Water", wasn't icluded. Again, not a hard song to find, but too bad that brilliant arrangement was performed only once and never recorded...

5 - Wave, by Tom Jobim, performed by Brazilian singer Céu (portuguese for Sky). Very nice arrangement for the last part of "Energy of the Water", that Copacabana beach part.

* - Acalanto (portuguese for lullaby), performed by Brazilian singer Adriana Calcanhoto during "Energy of Man". IMO, the highlight of the ceremonies. This song is magical, a very popular lullaby every brazilian know by heart. Too bad it wasn't included anywhere, Not even in the singer album...

6 - Foguete de Reis (A Guerra), performed by "Cordel do Fogo Encantado" during the last part of "Energy of Man". A typical song of Northeastern countryside folklore. Another highlight.

* - O Guarani, by Villa-Lobos, performed by the Orchestra during the entrance of the Olympic and Pan American flags, wasn't included also. But you can find it easily everywhere.

7 - Paz, by Chico César, performed during the corny peace part. Don't like this one, and I hope you can't understand the shitty poor lyrics hehehehe.

8 - Na Cadência do Samba (Que Bonito É), two legendary sambas performed during the final leg of the torch relay and lighting of the cauldron. These two sambas are very evocative of football also.

9 - Cidade Maravilhosa/Aquarela do Brasil, performed by Daniela Mercury, the first one is Rio de Janeiro City Anthem, a very famous carnaval song in Brazil. The second is Aquarela do Brasil, probably the most famous national song after our national anthem.

Did some research into Beijing 2008 music online. Looks like BOCOG released three official albums. I didn't post these, I just found them on a blog site and another forum:

I just call them by there colors as their titles are pretty much the same...

The grey album: The Official Album for Beijing 2008 Olympic Games: One World One Dream

Beijing2008coversmallerGrey.jpg

Contains music by mainstream artists like, Avril Lavigne, Pink, Backstreet Boys, John Mayer, as well as others:

http://mymusicandlyric.blogspot.com/2008/08/va-olympic-games-one-world-one-dream.html

The white album: The Official Album for Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Beijing2008coversmallerWhite.jpg

This one is a 3-disc set. Has music by various mainstream Chinese artists, including Jackie Chan. Has the Beijing, Beijing, I Love Beijing song from the closing ceremonies.

http://mymusicandlyric.blogspot.com/2008/08/album-va-official-album-for-beijing.html

The purple album: The Official Album for Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Beijing2008coversmallPurple.jpg

This is also a 3-disc set. This one has the complete opening ceremony. Disc 1 has music from the cultural segment of the ceremony and the flame lighting. Disc 2 has the complete parade of athletes. Disc 3 contains victory ceremony music. This set has the official Beijing theme song You and Me. The poster, isn't sure the background of this album. It's either a limited issue or a promo. Anybody on this board know? I never even knew it existed until I saw it posted on this forum:

http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=75319

I guess this is an unofficial one:

EMI 2008 Olympics

Beijing2008CoversmallerEMI.jpg

Contains music from Chinese artists. Sung in Mandarin. Has one song in English (One World One Dream)

http://mymusicandlyric.blogspot.com/2008/08/various-artists-emi-2008-olympics.html

I also ran ino this online, but forgot to bookmark where I saw it:

Beijing2008coversmallerSylver.jpg

It contains two remixes of One World One Dream.

I pretty much went through all the filefactory links in the beginning of this thread and found out they were dead.

I was just looking at some photos from the Nash Collection of Olympic Memorabilia, and something in this photo caught my attention:

http://www.olympicsource.org/RI%202%20Gold%20Disc%20and%20Pin%20Sets%20L.A.%201984.JPG

There was an album released for the LA '84 games? Does anyone have a track list? I wouldn't be surprised if it's mainly John Williams music.

Nah, mainly inspirational style pop, similar to Rhythm of the Games from Atlanta.

I'm actually trying to get a hold of these too (anything with the Olympic logo on it :D ), but it seems anything before 2004 is hard to find as it's pretty much all OOP. And then you have the games that didn't release any sort of music album - so i'm trying to put together my own (for example Calgary - got 3 tracks but i'm looking for two more. For Barcelona I got 5 tracks so far.) I'm looking for more Torino music but it's pretty much impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this interesting tidbit on another board. Apparently there was an album released for Calgary '88! B)

The title is:

(The Big Picture) Dream on the Horizon: A Tribute to the Olympic Spirit & Calgary 88: Soon the Glory Begins

Yeah, long title.

I did a Google search and came up empty handed on cover art and a track listing, but, I did find out that Rush's Alex Lifeson was involved with two tracks on this album. That's all I know. Anyone happen to have it?

Found this interesting tidbit on another board. Apparently there was an album released for Calgary '88! B)

The title is:

(The Big Picture) Dream on the Horizon: A Tribute to the Olympic Spirit & Calgary 88: Soon the Glory Begins

Yeah, long title.

I did a Google search and came up empty handed on cover art and a track listing, but, I did find out that Rush's Alex Lifeson was involved with two tracks on this album. That's all I know. Anyone happen to have it?

Did a little research on Google...

An extremely rare one in the Olympic Games music library. The correct name of the album is:

Dream on the Horizon: A Tribute to the Olympic Spirit

(Chartwell WSC-331)

DreamontheHorizon-TributeToOlympicS.jpg

(this was the best image I could find of the cover)

by

The Big Picture

Alex Lifeson of Rush

Rik Emmett of Triumph

Liona Boyd

Produced by Keith Elshaw

(Craig Farraway's track was added to it)

It was a 5-track LP. It appears it was released sometime before the Calgary 88 games, basically a promotional album. Some of it was tied into what today is known as the Cultural Olympiad.

Two of the tracks are available online:

Dream on the Horizon - Craig Farraway (192 kbps)

found on Craig Farraway's site:

http://sites.google.com/site/farraway/mymusic

Hands of Man (Instrumental) - The Big Picture (Alex Lifeson) (128 kbps)

found on The Rush Is a Band blog:

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1899

One of the other three songs is a vocal version of Hands of Man. Don't know what the other two songs are. The only place you may likely find this album, is in a used record store in Calgary.

Some additional info:

In last week's update I discussed the 1987 Alex Lifeson side project Beyond Borders with Rik Emmett (Triumph) and a few other Canadian musicians. In 1988 Alex again teamed up with Emmett, and along with Liona Boyd and Joel Wade recorded a song called Hands of Man for 1988's Dream on the Horizon: A Tribute to the Olympic Spirit!. You can listen to the instrumental version of the song at this link or by using the player below. Alex performs the second solo in the song. Thanks to Eric at Power Windows for the info

From the site: http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1899

"Hands of Man" (vocal and instrumental version), Alex Lifeson with The Big Picture on Dream On The Horizon: A Tribute To The Olympic Spirit!, 1988

Recorded for the 1988 Winter Olympics held in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Alex performs on two versions of "Hands of Man" along with Rik Emmett and Liona Boyd (these three, along with jazz guitarist Ed Bickert, made up the Canadian Guitar Summit the previous year), with vocals by Joel Wade (who would later sing background vocals on Triumphs' Surveillance, 1989, and Rik Emmett's Absolutely, 1990). "Hands of Man" was also written by Boyd, who apparently sang the song during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in Calgary on February 13th, 1988, along with special guests Lifeson and Emmett. Boyd later gave "special thanks to Alex Lifeson" on her album Dancing On the Edge, 1991. During the instrumental, Rik solos first, followed by Alex.

From the site: http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/Solo.htm

The Calgary games were preceeded by a five-week Olympics Arts Festival (23 Jan-28 Feb 1988), an extravaganza of diverse performances and exhibitions. Orchestras, dance troupes, choirs, chamber ensembles, rock groups, percussionists, theatre and opera companies, comedians and jugglers, films, literature, poetry, photography, the visual arts, architecture, technology in the arts, Native culture, and special events such as snow sculpting were represented. The chairman of the festival committee was Ron Ghitter, and the manager was Michael Tabbitt. The event highlighted local and Canadian talent, but artists from abroad were also featured, notably the Juilliard String Quartet, the Joffrey Ballet, the Peter Brooks production of La Tragédie de Carmen, the Flying Karamazov Brothers, and the Mikali Chamber Choir (Sweden). The $10-million budget, 70 per cent federally funded, was the largest of any winter Olympics.festival to date. The festival aimed to 'offer the world a magnificent showcase of Canadian talent at a level equal to that of the athletic competitions' (Otto Jelinek, federal sports minister, Toronto Star, 28 Dec 1987). Performances - most were broadcast on CBC radio, and many were televised internationally - were held at the Olympic Saddledome, Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary Centre for the Performing Arts (now EPCOR Centre for the Performing Arts), and the Banff CA. Some events toured nationally before or after the games. The official theme song 'Come Together in Calgary,' first recorded in 1981, was re-recorded in 1988 and incorporated into the film score of Calgary 88: Soon the Glory Begins. The LP Dream on the Horizon: A Tribute to the Olympic Spirit featured Rik Emmet of Triumph, Liona Boyd, and Alex Lifeson of Rush, and was produced by Keith Elshaw (Chartwell WSC-331).

From the site: Encyclopedia of Music in Canada (Olympic Games)

From Craig Farraway's site:

In the fall of 1987, I was sitting in the back of my parents' car on our way home from somewhere. It was an hour drive and the sun was starting to touch the horizon. As I stared at it, I reflected upon my dream to become a singer or performer of music. I thought, "There's a dream out there, a dream on the horizon."

The very next day, I was awakened early in the morning by a phone call from someone who said he had heard some of my music, and he wanted me to write a song for an album he was putting together. The album was going to carry a theme having to do with the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, Canada. He wanted me to write a song about the Olympics. I agreed, of course, but I knew little about this subject, so I got up and asked my Mom. She explained some things to me, and I went down and wrote the song while still in my underwear. I recalled my thoughts from the day before, and "Dream on the Horizon" was born. The song eventually became the pivotal track on the album, and in fact, the album was named after the song. The album, "Dream on the Horizon: A Tribute to the Olympic Spirit" featured Rik Emmet of Triumph, Liona Boyd, and Alex Lifeson of Rush, and was produced by Keith Elshaw. The song was rotated on many Canadian radio stations, and a video we produced aired on Canada's "Much Music". The Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC) produced a documentary about these Olympic games and they used the song "Dream on the Horizon" as the main theme of the program. It was on TV MAN!! I was on the news, and all kinds of exciting stuff happened. It was a very exciting time for me. Needless to say, this is one of my favorites.

From site: http://sites.google.com/site/farraway/mymusic

If anyone finds the complete album, or knows the full track listing, post it here! B)

After digging around some more, I found there exists a 3rd official album for the Athens 2004 games, in addition to the Unity and Harmony albums that were released in North America:

Phos: The Official Athens 2004 Olympic Greek Album

PhosTheOfficialAthens2004OlympicGam.jpg

The track list:

1. Train Leaves at Eight - Pyx Lax

2. My Love (Phaedra) - Alkistis Protopsalti

3. Beautiful City [Live] - George Dalaras, Metropole Orchestra

4. Who Pursues My Life - Haris Katsimihas, Panos Katsimihas

5. Someday They'll Come - Yiannis Kotsiras

6. Old Streets

7. If You Remember My Dream - Yannis Ploutarhos

8. Kites

9. Magical Night [Live] - Yiannis Parios