I thought the Greeks did a great job on making Athens 2004 the best as they could under their power. More so, I think it gave the IOC a "wake-up call" about how cities bid, prepare, and stage the Olympic Games "more efficiently" in the future. However, that idea has seemed to be lost in the documentation right now, with the way Beijing 2008 is preparing the XXIX Olympiad to me. The grand example of this is the continuing and "soaring" cost of staging the "16-day circus", as some people like to term it nowadays.

i agree

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - how did you work this out? Please tell.

Aren't the Greeks experts in bending over...I am sure they could make it happen...

I kinda thought it did seem smaller that I thought it would, however, I thought that about almost every cauldron I saw. When you think about how such a central point of any given main stadium it is, a

I think that the Athens games has made cities look more closely at timeframes and costs of staging the games and building th evenues on time. London certainly has looked at this and is further ahead with its plans than any other city has been at this stage according to officials and Ioc inspecters, so in a way it was good that Athens nearly didnt deliver on time. I was still disappointed with most of the ceremonies however.

• 1 month later...

Wow. How times have changed. Remember Dora Bakoyannis? She was the mayor of Athens, when the 2004 Olympic Games were held. Also, the following year, I believe, she was given the title of the world's top "mayor of the year." Now that she is the Greek foreign minister, she seems to be fixing her eyes on Macedonia. No, not Greece's section of land so named, but the FYROM -> Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, over the naming of an airport after Alexander the Great:

Link: BBC: Dispute Over 'Alexander Airport'

Edited by Guardian

Dora Bakoyannis is the number 2 at the conservative party. Many (me too) think that she will become the first female prime minister of Greece. She must be 51 or 52 now, so she still has a lot of time infront of her.

About the airport's name: Unfortunatelly for FYROM they came second. Greece has named the airport of Thessaloniki 'Airport Macedonia', and the airport of Kavala (east of Thessaloniki), 'Airport Alexander the Great'. Both the names are registered and copyrighted (or whatever) in ICAO and IATA, so it's impossible for FYROM to use these names since Greece registered them first.

(Also another interesting is that they name the airport of Ohrid as 'Apostole Paul', because they say that the Apostole came to Thessaloniki (which according to them isn't Greek and belongs to FYROM), and teach Christianity to 'Macedonian' nation. Now, the interesting thing is that the Apostole wrote two letters to 'Thessalonikians'', but both letters were written in Greek (and not in macedonian).

----------------------------------

Kostas Kenteris got married yesterday. His girlfriend is 3 months pregnant.

----------------------------------

Lady G (Gianna Angelopoulos Daskalaki), bought a newspaper, and now wants to buy a radio and a television station. Her husband was next to the Ecumenical Patriarch when the Pope visited him (the patriarch) in Turkey last month.

---------------------------------

I am (still) looking for the official report of Athens 2004.

Anybody knows something?

No replies from Greek Olympic committee, Greek organisation committee or the publisher......

I am (still) looking for the official report of Athens 2004.

Anybody knows something?

No replies from Greek Olympic committee, Greek organisation committee or the publisher......

Official Reports are not availalbe for public sale. So either:

1. Go to the IOC -- and read it there..

2. A local library or repository of sports material might have it.

3. Bribe an impoverished IOC member to sell his/her copy.

4. Break into the IOC library and treat yourself to a set!!

5. Constantly check eBay; a set might show up there.

Official Reports are not availalbe for public sale. So either:

1. Go to the IOC -- and read it there..

2. A local library or repository of sports material might have it.

3. Bribe an impoverished IOC member to sell his/her copy.

4. Break into the IOC library and treat yourself to a set!!

5. Constantly check eBay; a set might show up there.

i would have thought the ioc would have made these reports available to the public to buy as it could be used as another way to gain revenue for the ioc

There was one on ebay recently for over US$800 and it sold.

Still dont think that Athens was everything that everyone is making it out to be - it is still going to be remembered for the slack attitudes and half finished venues.

Makes one wonder what are the fates of some of those venues right now. Like I said, Athens 2004 was a wake-up call to deal with the way the Olympic Games are to be staged in the future. Now that London 2012 has recently went through the "growing pains reality" of the soaring costs of building their venues, which could surpass Beijing 2008 in a very scary way, it should bring alarms bells to potential 2016 Olympic Games bids to really see if it is worth the headaches to pursue it or not.

Today there was an article on newspapers about the stadiums.

There is a fight on who will get the canoe facility. There is an australian entertaiment company that wants to turn it in an acqua thematic park.

Also, half of the IBC (next to the Olympic stadium) is rented for 8 million Euros per year (for 40 years) and they will turn it in a mall. (In the other half they will make the IAAF museum and the museum of the Greek Olympic Games).

Today there was an article on newspapers about the stadiums.

There is a fight on who will get the canoe facility. There is an australian entertaiment company that wants to turn it in an acqua thematic park.

Also, half of the IBC (next to the Olympic stadium) is rented for 8 million Euros per year (for 40 years) and they will turn it in a mall. (In the other half they will make the IAAF museum and the museum of the Greek Olympic Games).

Well, an IAAF museum and the same with the Olympic Games? I like these ideas, given the history of the Olympic Games in world history. Even though Lausanne has the "modern" Olympic museum, the Greeks have the means to produce an Olympic museum that can rival it.

• 4 weeks later...

At this rate, I am going to end up having a "long cat nap." ZZZ....

Like, when is this Kenteris and Thanou situation going to end? Not to be a jerk, but does a case like this one take this long to resolve?

CBC: Trial For Sprinters Pushed To September

Justice in Greece works really slow it can take years untill there is a final decision.

From the athletic part everything is solved and they can participate in any event if they want.

From the Greek justice there was an investigation about the 'accident' they had and they were accused about prejury and missing doping tests. Their coach Christos Tzekos is accused about importing and supplying forbidden drags, 7 doctors from the hospital they were admitted after the accident are accused about violation of their mission (I don't know if it makes any sense in english), and prejury, and also 2 witnesses about prejury.

Also Kenteris got married in December and his wife is pregnant.

So, PYRROS2004, do you think the two athletes will compete in another international athletics meet again? If so, then I hope they won't be stigmatized by what happened to them since that day. News like this just don't go away nowadays.

They only that worries me is their age. Kenteris is 34, Thanou 32. I know that since 2004 they haven't stopped training, and even more the Greek national athletic team supports them. (And also the people, if we remember what happened at the 200m final at the 2004 Olympics).

I guess that if they want to continue, their first races will be in Greece, even better if their times are the same. Then they could participate in international events.

About doping, if IOC WADA IAAF EU various government wanted to stop it they should use a lifetime punishment.

We'll see.

Well, if it was up to me,.. they should not have the right to represent greece in any international competition... It may be a bit more complicated then that but for it is very simple: if you make a mistake then you have to stand for it.. If they have done that all things would have been ok... But now,... <_<

PYRROS2004, it does look that Thanou is going to continue her track and field career after all. According to this BBC article, she has qualified on her first official try, since her ban expired in December, to go to the European Indoor Championships in Birmingham, UK, next month.

Link: BBC: Thanou Wins On Sprinting Return

Do you want more interesting news? PYRROS2004 and others, it seems that Athens, Greece, is the host city of the 2013 Summer Deaflympics. These Games are the "Olympic Games for the hearing impaired." For evidence I got about the Greek capital getting these Games, the links I will put up comes from the Deaflympics official website.

1. Deaflympics Calendar Of Events Page

2. Official Deaflympics Website

And not only.

Athens will host the 2009 International Children's Games.

Athens bids for the 2011 Special Olympics (against Morocco and USA).

Athens will host the 2 major events in 2007. The champion's league final and also Euroleague's final four. (And also the volleyball's if a Greek team makes it to the final four).

And not only.

Athens will host the 2009 International Children's Games.

Athens bids for the 2011 Special Olympics (against Morocco and USA).

Athens will host the 2 major events in 2007. The champion's league final and also Euroleague's final four. (And also the volleyball's if a Greek team makes it to the final four).

That would be great to have the Special Olympics hosted in Greece. Besides, I think it is the only non-Olympic Games one that is allowed to have the torch ceremony at Olympia to light its torches to start their relays.