Athens 2004

LinkParkFn

As I said in other posts I bought tickets 1 year before the Games, for various dates and events, but I couldn't actually go during the Games.

I also won tickets from Heineken trivia game, but again I couldn't go to Athens.

I wonder how many people could have done the same.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baloney! Atlanta '96 sold more tickets and had people actually use them than Athens '04.

And yet you want the Games back for 2016. Haven't you had enough?

And, no, Atlanta did not sell more tickets than Athens. I was in Athens and couldn't find tickets for the events I wanted to see during the second week. The fact the AMERICANS wouldn't use their free corporate ping-pong tickets during the 1st few days cannot be used against Athens. CNN dwelled on the empty seats at Ping-Pong during the 1st couple days, but they were silent about the filled stadiums during the track-field, basketball, gymnastics, and swimming finals. It comes as no surprise to me. You Americans always get filtered propaganda in your news media.

And no matter how you try to rationalize it, Atlanta was a logistical and security disaster. THAT'S why you were hoping that Athens would also be a disaster, which -to your disappointment- didn't happen. Cut the crap, America, and admit the obvious. Atlanta was a disaster. Iraq was a fuckin disaster. Yet you never take the world's advice and continue to shout and pout like a spoiled overgrown baby, so that you ALWAYS get your way. What a thick-skulled stubborn nation. You defy international laws that you expect others to abide by (Geneva convetions, World Criminal Court, and UN resolutions), you pursue your economic interests through bombing campaigns and covert coups (in order to "spread freedom and democracy"), and you enforce your own copyright laws on the 3rd world, so that AIDS patients in souther Africa can't have access to cheaper generic drugs. JUST CUT THE ****. Swallow your pride for once and step back. You can do ANY FUCKING THING YOU WANT. NO ONE CAN STOP YOU. So be considerate for ONCE.

I was in Athens and couldn't find tickets for the events I wanted to see during the second week.

I see! Now, it makes total sense.

_40015536_protesterap203.jpg

So that was you on the right of the photo, ex-Father Horan? Having been denied entry to paid events, you did the only thing available to you: you waited on the free marathon route and disrupted poor Vanderlai de Lima's run so you could have your 15 seconds of world fame!! It all ties in now. Shameless! Shame on you, skyduster. You have been exposed!!

I guess even the Greeks couldn't keep out the riff-raff, huh? :lol:

All in all, more tickets were sold than at any previous Games except Sydney, and Athens broke global television viewership records.

Uh-huh.

From Wikepedia:

"Olympics

Summer Olympics

2004 Athens Olympics: 3.8 million tickets sold.

2000 Sydney Olympics: 6.7 million tickets sold

1996 Atlanta Olympics: 8.3 million tickets sold

1992 Barcelona Olympics: 3.0 million tickets sold

1988 Seoul Olympics: 3.3 million tickets sold

1984 Los Angeles Olympics: 5.7 million tickets sold

Winter Olympics: Calgary - still 1st; SLC - 2nd.

2006 Turin Olympics: 0.9 million tickets sold [76]

2002 Salt Lake City Olympics: 1.525 million tickets sold

1998 Nagano Olympics: 1.275 million tickets sold

1994 Lillehammer Olympics: 1.2 million tickets sold

1992 Albertville Olympics: 0.9 million tickets sold

1988 Calgary Olympics: 1.6 million tickets sold

All figures except Turin 2006 from Olympic.org "

Wikepedia - Go to the Olympics' heading

Perhaps not always the most reliable of sources, but look at the quoted source. That is the IOC page. Hello, skyduster/Fr. Horan?

Now, you were saying about TV figures (including your brief moment of infamy on the day of the marathon!) ? :blink: Uhmmm, can you post anything close or bearing any authenticity to your high-blown claims? :rolleyes:

And yet you want the Games back for 2016. Haven't you had enough?

And, no, Atlanta did not sell more tickets than Athens. I was in Athens and couldn't find tickets for the events I wanted to see during the second week. The fact the AMERICANS wouldn't use their free corporate ping-pong tickets during the 1st few days cannot be used against Athens. CNN dwelled on the empty seats at Ping-Pong during the 1st couple days, but they were silent about the filled stadiums during the track-field, basketball, gymnastics, and swimming finals. It comes as no surprise to me. You Americans always get filtered propaganda in your news media.

And no matter how you try to rationalize it, Atlanta was a logistical and security disaster. THAT'S why you were hoping that Athens would also be a disaster, which -to your disappointment- didn't happen. Cut the crap, America, and admit the obvious. Atlanta was a disaster. Iraq was a fuckin disaster. Yet you never take the world's advice and continue to shout and pout like a spoiled overgrown baby, so that you ALWAYS get your way. What a thick-skulled stubborn nation. You defy international laws that you expect others to abide by (Geneva convetions, World Criminal Court, and UN resolutions), you pursue your economic interests through bombing campaigns and covert coups (in order to "spread freedom and democracy"), and you enforce your own copyright laws on the 3rd world, so that AIDS patients in souther Africa can't have access to cheaper generic drugs. JUST CUT THE ****. Swallow your pride for once and step back. You can do ANY FUCKING THING YOU WANT. NO ONE CAN STOP YOU. So be considerate for ONCE.

OMG!!!! hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif Cropduster has given me the biggest laugh of the day! Thank you.

Your anti-American bias is so pathetically obvious that you make Pyrros look objective! To post something like you did which is factually incorrect across the board makes you look totally foolish!

Frankly I don’t give a flying fig what your opinion is. We will in all likelihood bid for 2016 and whether you like it or not, the games will continue to come back to the United States and Canada on a regular basis as long as the large amounts of revenue that a games here generates continues. That is not arrogance – that is just the facts. As I stated earlier, the IOC exists to make money off the Olympics and North America provides the biggest returns.

Athens is a study in how not to plan for and run a games. It was the Montreal of the 21st century. And as for the empty seats and more than adequate amount of tickets available even Pyrros has admitted that the games were held during the holiday season in Europe which accounted for the dismal attendance the first week.

Say what you will about Atlanta’s logistical problems but the facts speak for themselves – it made a profit, it outsold all other Olympics, 95 percent of all venues and housing have been in constant use since the end of the games and there was zero debt, resulting in Atlanta’s city debt to be paid off.

Step back? For what? If Brazil and or Argentina want the Olympics they are going to have to work for them like every other country in the world. And why aren't you bitching about Europe? They have held way more games than we have. And don't give me that crap about it being "well that's different because that involves several countries" because this whole thing is about continental rotation.

Now run along -

OMG!!!! hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif Cropduster has given me the biggest laugh of the day! Thank you.

Your anti-American bias is so pathetically obvious that you make Pyrros look objective! To post something like you did which is factually incorrect across the board makes you look totally foolish!

Frankly I don’t give a flying fig what your opinion is. We will in all likelihood bid for 2016 and whether you like it or not, the games will continue to come back to the United States and Canada on a regular basis as long as the large amounts of revenue that a games here generates continues. That is not arrogance – that is just the facts. As I stated earlier, the IOC exists to make money off the Olympics and North America provides the biggest returns.

Athens is a study in how not to plan for and run a games. It was the Montreal of the 21st century. And as for the empty seats and more than adequate amount of tickets available even Pyrros has admitted that the games were held during the holiday season in Europe which accounted for the dismal attendance the first week.

Say what you will about Atlanta’s logistical problems but the facts speak for themselves – it made a profit, it outsold all other Olympics, 95 percent of all venues and housing have been in constant use since the end of the games and there was zero debt, resulting in Atlanta’s city debt to be paid off.

Step back? For what? If Brazil and or Argentina want the Olympics they are going to have to work for them like every other country in the world. And why aren't you bitching about Europe? They have held way more games than we have. And don't give me that crap about it being "well that's different because that involves several countries" because this whole thing is about continental rotation.

Now run along -

Yeah, u tell it like it is. And who wouldn't get tired dealing with rank amateurs who actually start insulting you before making their points -- all under the veil of someone who doesn't even identify him/herself. Why should one have to take that crap? You post as a civilized, intelligent person -- you'll get replied to the same. You start insulting the nationality and achievements of the other; then you get it right back. What has that got to do with the spirit of the Games, savas? :blink:

Being a very visual person, I especially appreciated the Look of the Games

I liked it too, the vibrant hues and color palette reminded me a lot of Los Angeles 1984.

As you all may be able to guess from my username, the Athens Olympics were one of the highlights of my life. I cannot imagine a better Olympic host. No matter how spectacular Bejing turns out to be, the Chinese will not be able to equal the magic and the poetry of Athens.

The charm of Greece and its people is undeniable. People were friendly, helpful (though not always knowledgable), and extremely welcoming. The city itself is a wonderful blend of style, history, and laid-back sloppiness. Where else can you see an impeccably groomed woman in Prada heels walking over broken pavement, past a cluster of stray dogs, beneath a balcony that is overflowing with laundry, while still seeing the Parthenon in the background. Its just an absolutely fantastic atmosphere.

The transportation was excellent. Directions were clear and trains and buses moved efficiently. The venues were gorgeous. Calatrava's roof, arch, animated wall, velodrome were all magnificent. I will never forget how my fellow passengers on the train to OAKA let out a collective gasp as they took in its beauty. It was audible admiration.

Great review, couldn't say it better! I am a HUGE Athens fan and I will always keep the memory of it alive in my heart. Last June I went in Lausanne at the Olympic Museum, and when I holded Athens Torch, I cried. I really hope the Games will one day go back again to Ellada, and I will be alive to see it!

Money is not the issue.

It hurst that a small country got the Games and there were no organizational mistake at all.

1. Uhmm... the roof for the swimming venue? :rolleyes:

2. No organizational mistake at all? Well, that's because there were no spectators to mess up or complain. :lol:

3. Athens 04 had lousy volunteers. From first-hand reports here -- and not just one person -- your so-called "volunteers" were off busy attending to themselves rather than to the other paying guests.

4. Of course, everyone else has been kind and diplomatic to turn a blind eye to other mistakes -- that's why there seem to be so 'few.'

Why should it 'hurst" that a small country got the Games? Australia, population-wise, is considered a 'small' country; so what makes Greece so special being a 'small' country? :blink:

I agree with Baron, sentimental reasons gave the games to Athens, hence them not being awarded the Centenial Games, and there was slip ups including the swimming roof and the stadium just being finished on time. I remember up to a year before the games reading stories in the papers that if the Greeks did not meet their deadlines then the IOC would move the games to a city with facilities ready to go. Im sure Los Angeles was looked at.

Don't hold your breath. They only got it for sentimental reasons; not for practical, logistical reasons.

Do you live in that forum? And why so evil, evry single time, you are fighting someone! What a true Olympian! :blink:

Do you live in that forum? And why so evil, evry single time, you are fighting someone! What a true Olympian! :blink:

Evil? And I thought you liked bad boys? :blink: I think more FEISTY and exciting! And it's because we have rabid anti-American and stupid posts (like yours) and they'll get it right back every time they strike. Yes, blow for blow, I'll come back.

True Olympian? :blink: I never TOOK the oath of the Athletes or Judges -- so I'm NOT bound to Rogge or Zeus -- or any so-called Olympic rules. OK? <_<

Everyones entitled to their own opinion, so everyone stop getting at Baron, he talks sense especially when it comes to Athens Olympics. Speaking of Athens maybe they hold the Bi Centenial games in 2096 or maybe theyl lose out again.

Evil? And I thought you liked bad boys? :blink: I think more FEISTY and exciting! And it's because we have rabid anti-American and stupid posts (like yours) and they'll get it right back every time they strike. Yes, blow for blow, I'll come back.

True Olympian? :blink: I never TOOK the oath of the Athletes or Judges -- so I'm NOT bound to Rogge or Zeus -- or any so-called Olympic rules. OK? <_<

I am sorry, but you are a TOTAL idiot! Who gave you the right to qualify whose posts are stupid or not? I feel petty for you, for sure you are fat a**hole, sitting 23 hours at the computer, trying to be someone. In my post I expressed my feelings about Athens, didn't insult anyone, did I?

I am sorry, but you are a TOTAL idiot! Who gave you the right to qualify whose posts are stupid or not? I feel petty for you, for sure you are fat a**hole, sitting 23 hours at the computer, trying to be someone. In my post I expressed my feelings about Athens, didn't insult anyone, did I?

Uhmmm... stop looking in the mirror and describing yourself. We really don't want to know.

They were totally crushed and felt stealed after the scandal of the Centennial Olympics bid. The great sadness was so great that even the IAAF Championship weren't enough consolation. So they gaved a try to obtain the XVIII olympiad hosting, beating Rome on the election (i admit that they won more because of sentimental factors, like Baron said)

Athens 2004 never had the superb organizating quality as it's predecesors Sydney & Barcelona (but better than Atlanta). Anyway, they showed to the world that a country in development can do a lot of things (almost all of the summer olympics were welded in economically powerful countries like USA, Australia, the old Soviet Union...). Some things like that the f***in irish priest who attacked the Brasilian runner Vanderlei on the final day of the Marathon (we was on the first place, latter he lost to Baldini & Keflezhigi) screwed the image of the Athens olympics. Anyway they were a nice competition, called by Rooge as the ''Unforgettable, dream games'' (instead of Samaranch & his ''best ever'' speech, he gives each olympiad a special attribute).

The opening ceremonies, like the Barcelona ceremonies at their time, created a new style (totally different that i had expected to see at that August 13, two years ago, i were totally surprised). They didn't had the frenetycal rythm or the Broadway style performances, but they created a so realistic and emotional ceremony that some people didn' paid attention to that (well, at least the ones that are not veterans on the ceremonies area). Anyway, i think that the Parade of History wouldn't be that attractive live (as someone said before, they look better on TV).

What i never liked of the closing is that they only used greek stars for the traditional celebration concert, they could use some international singers to make the thing more interesting (anyway some songs were good).

PD: If someone want to read the Official Program of the Opening Ceremony ;) , visit this page: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/olympicceremonies/. You must have a Yahoo account and register as a member of the group, then go to the photos section.

Really impresive, thought

I thought the Greeks did a great job on making Athens 2004 the best as they could under their power. More so, I think it gave the IOC a "wake-up call" about how cities bid, prepare, and stage the Olympic Games "more efficiently" in the future. However, that idea has seemed to be lost in the documentation right now, with the way Beijing 2008 is preparing the XXIX Olympiad to me. The grand example of this is the continuing and "soaring" cost of staging the "16-day circus", as some people like to term it nowadays.

Archived