Official Gb 2020 Worls Expo Competition

As an alternative (not in competition, um yeah) competiton I announce the beginning of the 2020 World Expo competition!

What you need to consider before starting or announcing a bid is the following - does the city/region you propose have adequate space for a large scale temporary installation like an Expo? Is there sufficient transport links? Is the climate of your city appropriate for an event spanning 6 months and three seasons? Is there sufficient accomodation and supporting infrastructure to stage an Expo? What theme will your Expo take on and how will taht affect the design and running of yoru Expo? What are your expected visitor numbers? Price of admission? Cultural side events? How will your Expo work in the context of the host city? Future uses of the sites?

If so you can enter and submit your city! Nominations close August 20. Submissions (a no more than 10 page proposal document - I will insist on PDF/word/powerpoint presentations) will be due September 3. Voting will be from September 4.

This should be a budding urban planners dream competition! Think of all that crazy arse architecture you can throw in!

So come on in and have some World Expo fun!

Obviously entry is not mandatory and if you'd rather not play this game and get straight into a 2028 cycle, so be it - but this comp is on now and will run at the same time.

Milan would be a perfect choice to host a world Expo.. it has the biggest expo fair in the world and the city together with its region is one of the most productive area in Europe..

but I've never submit a city before.. could anyone help me? :)

I can convert your file to pdf for you - and just have a look through the requirements a city needs in my first post - it's pretty straightforward - but I am sure someone may help out. It doesnt have to be a highly professional job.

sorry but I referred to the contents not to the technic issue.. I mean is there a basic plan we have to attend or we are totally free?

OK technically - as in the first post - consider the following - does the city/region you propose have adequate space for a large scale temporary installation like an Expo? Is there sufficient transport links? Is the climate of your city appropriate for an event spanning 6 months and three seasons? Is there sufficient accomodation and supporting infrastructure to stage an Expo? What theme will your Expo take on and how will that affect the design and running of your Expo? What are your expected visitor numbers? Price of admission? Cultural side events? How will your Expo work in the context of the host city? Future uses of the sites?

You can cover all those points, or none - up to you.

More concretely check out the last expo -

Aichi 2005

And the next one -

Shanghai 2010

To get an idea of the scale and land needed.

Decide where in or near your main city the site is, come up with a transport plan - and then the design of the expo is totally up to you. Rememberabout 120 countries will partcipate and thus making clusters of continents in 'lands' (like in Disneyland - tomorrowland, frontierland etc) is easiest. Then just fill in the gaps with rides, attractions etc. Go crazy!

It doesn't have to be a 100% believable bid. Hell, Shanghai is 80% fictional in my opinion! :)

Cape Argus, August 2006

Cape Town plans to welcome the world expo

Cape Town - The mayor of Cape Town, Helen Zille, announced today in a speech to local parliament, that Cape Town plans to bid for the World Expo in 2020. The announcement came as a suprise to many members of parliament who assumed that the announcement would be that of a possible olympic bid in 2020. Zille, outlined the proposed real benefits such an expo would add to the city and the country as a whole, ecnomically and otherwise.

Plans for the bid have not yet been discussed but a two-week study was set to begin at the end of the month to consider various proposals and to identify possible sites for the event which takes place over close to 200 days.

Zille said the concept is set to be finalised soon and could include the new gateway and base to antartica being built in Cape Town, the success of the use of Wind Energy in the city, the floral kingdom and the new space station currently under construction.

"Plans have certainly not been finalized yet, but certain succesful key projects in the city stand out and it would be best to include these. The World Expo needs to come to Africa and 2020 is the time."

The 2005 event was held in Aichi, Japan with the 2010 event set for Shanghai.

Call me crasy :P but

Los Angeles 2020 "Elements of Humanity"*

*this might change xD

To Note: The site that is proposed is just North East of the OC Great Park a.k.a. El Toro Marine Station xD will write about it later on the day/week

MANILA2020 is now officially, up and running!

More of the concept will be revealed in the coming days,

Question:

How detailed should the proposal get? Is the proposal limited to a maximum of only ten pages? (No, i'm not making a novel out of the bid book but i plan to put a lot of imagery - sketchups, cad dwgs, sketches, vignettes etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived