Ceremonies On Youtube

Oh, you have the version from Squaw Valley? Please post that soon, I'm curious for that version. Especially because it was the first time after the re-introduction of the original Olympic Anthem in 1958 that the anthem was played at an edition of the Olympic Games.

Where do you always find those rare musical pieces, by the way?

Yup, although is not a high quality recording, but i got the opening ceremonies of Squaw Valley 1960, although only the audio (i published the Parade of the Olympians track on my youtube account early this year). I have posted it right now on the Music collection thread, be sure to check it out ;)

A friend of mine gave me those audio files three years ago, by the way :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an edited clip of most of Albertville's Opening. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyipsdgnbbY&NR=1[\media] What does it all mean (other than "Oh Look, I can design great costumes!

Regardless. The images are those paid for by NBC. But here's the thing: what are the IOC and NBC going to do with those clips? I mean they are meant to be enjoyed by anybody who gets a kick from th

/\ Thanks for posting that, olympics08. Indeed an interesting find. It's just like Moscow'80 redux...only "happier, more joyous! Oh, look at the happy, content citizens of the Soviet Union (the e

Here's an edited clip of most of Albertville's Opening. :blink:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyipsdgnbbY&NR=1[\media]

What does it all mean (other than "Oh Look, I can design great costumes!")? But one can see how Cirque du Soleil heavily influenced this Ceremony and how Papaoinnou wanted to copy this so much. And the whole FLAG orgy at the end is a big mess...and you know you've seen it before.

Really an ego trip for Decouffle.

• Like 1

You really don't make secret about how much you despise Papaioannu, dont you :lol: ?

Anyway, i've seen that video before. It shows excerpts of the closing as well (the fireworks and that weird angel extinguishing the cauldron). Craziest olympic ceremonies ever, but maybe it's originality is what i liked the most. I mean, they didn't repeated the trend established by most of the ceremonies back then and it was a bit of fresh air, at least.

Almost all sport ceremonies made in france have a Cirque feel (1993 Mediterranean games, WC'98, Rugby World Cup 2007...), so it's probably that Annecy will resurrect Decoufle from the dead for their ceremonies, if they get the games of course.

You really don't make secret about how much you despise Papaioannu, dont you :lol: ?

I don't really despise him personally..since I don't know him. I just feel very strongly that his Athens ceremonies were a very wrong FIT for what could have been FAR OUTSTANDING ceremonies. And considering the budget he was given, it really was a wasted opportunity...and Jose, as you'll see in my book, I also single him out because he admitted he was NOT a big Olympic fan...so what the heck was he doing taking on the job???

I don't really despise him personally..since I don't know him. I just feel very strongly that his Athens ceremonies were a very wrong FIT for what could have been FAR OUTSTANDING ceremonies. And considering the budget he was given, it really was a wasted opportunity...and Jose, as you'll see in my book, I also single him out because he admitted he was NOT a big Olympic fan...so what the heck was he doing taking on the job???

I liked the ceremony, but i hated the fact that the water pool could have been used better (for example, lika a naval battle or something) but it really didn't do much. I already knew that Papaioanu said that he didn't liked the olympics and he even said it was a symbol of everything that was wrong in the world, on his point of view of course...even so, he didn't do a bad job at all. Just that it wasted a lot of oportunities with the given budget, like you said.

The opening ceremony of the 1st Asian Para Games in Guangzhou, or what if the Asiad ceremonies were held on the stadium instead of Haixinsha

OK, this is it: the crowning moment of ANY Opening Ceremony--the Lighting of the Cauldron!

Of course, you have to watch it. While this Asian Paralympic Opening is charmingly quaint and endearing--and NOT quite as over-the-top as the able-bodied Opening out in the harbor, the Lighting of the cauldron is NOT to be believed. It is almost the height of ridiculousness in its desire to TOP all OTHER Ceremonies!!

They built a mini-Everest (is it ice? styrofoam? sugar? coke?) so that two handicapped climbers can huff and sweat and puff to get the flame to the top. It leaves one totally speechless as to, pardon the pun, the "heights" of inanity special event producers will go to try to TOP the last one!! Having a cold, it was also so painful to laugh at what was unfolding! But I suppose we must cheer them on as they "...strive to get to the top." Oh, and the able-bodied little girl (I don't know what she's doing there...) even KISSES the torch!! :blink: YIKES!! It's unbelievable how the Chinese do this with straight-faced sincerity!!

It has to be seen to be believed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BARjzTY8WfU&feature=related

:blink::blink: Edited by baron-pierreIV

Ohhh, I didn't like that at all - kinda reminded me of that pyramid thing they have on Gladiators.

I dunno, the Para ceremonies organisers never make it easy on the torch lighters do they, always seem to make them climb up something or winch themselves up holding a torch while dangling on a wire.

Possible it's a little bit cliche by now..... we get the point.... they do their stuffs with just one leg.

Well, I didn't find the idea that bad, although I will always fail to understand why recently, non-disabled final torch bearers (at the Olympic or Asian or whatever Games) often have such a rather comfortable job lighting the cauldron while the disabled torch bearers have to sweat their as*es off to get to the cauldron. OK, I get that "he overcomes all obstacles" image, but I find it somewhat outrageous anyway.

Anyway: The mountain idea was actually not that uninteresting and I liked how the two torch bearers passed the torch to each other, and the one who had the torch waited for his/her companion to climb up. But: The segment was much too lengthy and therefore highly anti-climatic, just like the lighting of the cauldron at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics.

But how about the lighting method itself -- the torch being put in some kind of case and then being automatically pulled up to the cauldron? I thought that was interesting. Although I hope that they'll never do that at Olympic Games, since it's always better when there's still the final torch bearer involved in some way with the cauldron lighting itself. But with that artificial, "unsacred" Asian Games flame, they can do whatever they like (in my opinion). :lol:

What I found remarkable as well is how artificial those CCTV commentators sound. It sounds as if they got all their commentary pre-scripted by the Communist Party (I don't understand a single word of Chinese, but I always get that impression only by that artificially enthusiastic tone the commentators have in their voices).

I liked the ceremony, but i hated the fact that the water pool could have been used better (for example, lika a naval battle or something) but it really didn't do much. I already knew that Papaioanu said that he didn't liked the olympics and he even said it was a symbol of everything that was wrong in the world, on his point of view of course...even so, he didn't do a bad job at all. Just that it wasted a lot of oportunities with the given budget, like you said.

I think I just found Papaioannou's "inspiration" for his Athens 2004 Klepsydra: the 2,500th anniversary parade of the Persian empire hosted by the late Shah Reza in Persepolis in October 1971. It's just the history and might of ancient Persia marching in front of the Royal Grandstand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuh8BzKQzc&feature=related

I've seen that video before, and yes, it kinda reminds me of the Clepsydra, although i think there were other ''historical'' parades like this one. If i remember right, at both the 1987 Mediterranean Games and the 1991 All Africa Games (in Syria and Egypt respectively) they did a parade of the phoenician and ancient egyptian culture as well, with performers dressed as ancient soldiers and priests marching along with carriages.

Speaking of the Mediterranean Games, i've found something very interesting. A twenty-six minute film from the Greek National Audiovisual Archive which revies the 1991 Mediterranean Games.

http://mam.avarchive.gr/portal/digitalview.jsp?get_ac_id=3439&thid=10990

It starts with the Water Ceremony at the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion, and excerpts of the opening ceremony are shown between 03:02 and 09:23 (you can also see a small glympse of Samaranch getting booed by the crowd)

No, Papaioannou's inspiration for his Athens 2004 Klepsydra parede was Moscow 1980 ancient greek parede.

Look in this video posted by Ikarus, start at 4:00. No doubt he watched this ceremony before he produced his show.

Another segmente clearly "inspired" was the Welcome from Albertville. The signal language was used in the welcome to the athlets just after the Olive Three.

Look, the Albertville announcer were probably the first "sexies" voices used to this propose. In Athens 2004 we can see and especially heard they've picked the same type of voices.

No doubt he watched this ceremony before he produced his show.

Uhmmmm, how do you know? :blink:

If anything, I think he would've been repulsed by that EXTREMELY PHONY representation of ancient Greeks by Slavs!! That segment always make me cringe. And it looks more ROMAN than Greek.

Uhmmmm, how do you know? :blink:

If anything, I think he would've been repulsed by that EXTREMELY PHONY representation of ancient Greeks by Slavs!! That segment always make me cringe. And it looks more ROMAN than Greek.

Well, he elected Albertville 1992 as the best ceremony. So we can conclude he'd watched all the others opening ceremonies.

He could've adapted the "parade" CONCEPT showd in moscow opening and adopted as greek history parade.

Well, he elected Albertville 1992 as the best ceremony. So we can conclude he'd watched all the others opening ceremonies.

R u the same guy in SSC who thinks and pontificates that the Moscow 1980 Ceremonies are/were the font of all Ceremonies seen today? :blink:

He could've adapted the "parade" CONCEPT showd in moscow opening and adopted as greek history parade.

Yeah, but the Persepolis parade PREDATES Moscow by 9 years as well as I am sure OTHER 'historical' parades of history!! I've read all the published Papaioannou interviews re his creation of the 2004 Ceremonies and NEVER does he mention Moscow. And just because he mentions Albertville DOESN'T necessarily mean Moscow is the origin of his vision. Sorry, I reject your baseless assumption.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Yeah, but the Persepolis parade PREDATES Moscow by 9 years as well as I am sure OTHER 'historical' parades of history!! I've read all the published Papaioannou interviews re his creation of the 2004 Ceremonies and NEVER does he mention Moscow. And just because he mentions Albertville DOESN'T necessarily mean Moscow is the origin of his vision. Sorry, I reject your baseless assumption.

Talking of baseless assumptions... Please notice the statement in bold letters. ;) I have certain doubts about your theory that before 1971 and before the Iranians, no one on this big planet of several billion people ever had and realised the idea of staging a historical parade.

Talking of baseless assumptions... Please notice the statement in bold letters. ;) I have certain doubts about your theory that before 1971 and before the Iranians, no one on this big planet of several billion people ever had and realised the idea of staging a historical parade.

We seem to be having a semantics problem here, F. You are misreading my posts in the Danny Boyle thread; and now here I SPECIFICALLY said that there have been OTHER historical parades before Persepolis 1971. Or at least that was the "implication" I intended to convey. I would've thought that you, of all people, would've picked that up. This conversation is somehow going like the last one between RobH and OTO in another WC thread.

And to make it even clearer to hiroamorin, Moscow's Little "Greek portion" isn't even exactly a "historical parade." It's merely a small homage of another culture to the founding civilization of the event it was celebrating. NO WAY is it like the FULL PANOPLY of the Persepolis parade where the present day Iranians recreated the glories and eras of their own history, NOT another culture.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

One question...

I would like to know if is there any making off and/or behind the scene documentary about the Athens 2004 opening ceremony?

I ask you because of this video found...

ps: you can see Dimitri dissatisfied and angry. Just look his facepalm at the end video...lol

ps: you can see Dimitri dissatisfied and angry. Just look his facepalm at the end video...lol

Hiro, how do you know that was Dmitris? It was just a back view. It could've been the Lighting Director or someone else?

OK, for you Athens-04 fans, look what I found: the NBC-HDTV version of the Athens 2004 Opening (part 1)!! This was the first Olympic OC telecast in HD ever! It has angles much, much better and grander in scale and scope than the regular version broadcast. The whole series is there!!

[media]

[/mdia]

BTW, the narration on this HD version is more theatrical and excitable with Lester Holt and another voice I don't recognize (like a X between a Bart Conner and a Scott Hamilton).

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^^ I didn't liked NBC broadcast in both Athens, Beijing and Vancouver ceremonies, they talk too much which kinda becomes annoying and although some of the NBC angles are interesting, it sometimes ruins the impact the original broadcast wants to transmit to the watchers.. I would watch a BBC broadcast instead any day, specially because they rarely, if ever, do commercial cuts.

PD: Baron the video doesnt have the 720/180p option so it's not really HD. Anyways, the quality is far better than many other Athens 2004 videos in Youtube so i guess its better than nothing :lol:

I think both version are perfect and if there were another one I would love it too. NBC captured interesting images. The comet lighting the olympic rings was superb. Also, you can see all the lighting effects like the light changing from the blue to yellow or the effect after the greek anthem, stunning!

Too bad the worldwide broadcast ignored and cut this few interesting details.

I downloaded the NBC version two years ago, I almost fell of my chair the first time I watched. Really thrilling.

Baron, I'm sure the angry guy is Dimitri Papaioannou. Watch that video bellow. You can see him in some pictures. Look his head form and his hair style.

Bonus! Watch the olympic stadium transformation for the Opening Ceremony. I loved it.

ps: WOW how times goes quick. I still remember when I danced Ragatanga. My embarrassed moment! :lol: