Ceremonies On Youtube

I'm sure most excused the ceremonies for being "French". :P

Well, the French can definitely do better than that (although their World Cup opening ceremony in 1998 with those four giants meeting in the centre of Paris also was a little bit... strange -- and tedious). And I'm asking myself whether every Frenchman was proud and happy after seeing that opening ceremony.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an edited clip of most of Albertville's Opening. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyipsdgnbbY&NR=1[\media] What does it all mean (other than "Oh Look, I can design great costumes!

Regardless. The images are those paid for by NBC. But here's the thing: what are the IOC and NBC going to do with those clips? I mean they are meant to be enjoyed by anybody who gets a kick from th

/\ Thanks for posting that, olympics08. Indeed an interesting find. It's just like Moscow'80 redux...only "happier, more joyous! Oh, look at the happy, content citizens of the Soviet Union (the e

Keep in mind, the French were following the wiggle'esque dancing Dinosaurs from Calgary - so they probably thought they were safe with whatever piece of *concept performance* they pulled out of their arse.

I guess the other thing that Albertville did well was the fact that they were probably the first ceremonies to have a design stage element as a centerpiece to their ceremony - with their gigantic mast tower.

This more recently has been quite the popular with the likes of the Sydney waterfall, Athens lake, Beijing paper and globe, Delhi's aerostat etc etc.

I have the Albertville 92 opening soundtrack, and to be honest, it's just not enjoyable to listen to . The ceremony itself had its moments, but it lacked the glue to form a good show I think.

Christos would put up a couple of clips from the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony preshow before they were all eventually taken down like the "Pass the Flame" performance. Hoepfully, someone in Greece would put up the entire preshow that was on ET1 on YouTube. Here's one that Christos actually did not upload but is making its GamesBids.com debut from the show with the MCs. Areti Ketime beautifully perfoms on the santouri a traditional Greek song about the Aegean Sea.

• Like 1

Christos would put up a couple of clips from the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony preshow before they were all eventually taken down like the "Pass the Flame" performance. Hoepfully, someone in Greece would put up the entire preshow that was on ET1 on YouTube. Here's one that Christos actually did not upload but is making its GamesBids.com debut from the show with the MCs. Areti Ketime beautifully perfoms on the santouri a traditional Greek song about the Aegean Sea.

Now...that is TOO creepy. Nobody was singing like that anymore in Greece. Too kitschy.

• Like 1

Well, the French can definitely do better than that (although their World Cup opening ceremony in 1998 with those four giants meeting in the centre of Paris also was a little bit... strange -- and tedious). And I'm asking myself whether every Frenchman was proud and happy after seeing that opening ceremony.

Wait until the inevitable Paris Summer Olympics. Then you will see a bizarre, crazy opening ceremony. :P

Just a few days ago, a guy in Sweden uploaded five parts of the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony that was of course recorded from SVT with narration. And we still can't get the the full Parade of Nations from it on YouTube. As with any of the European broadcast of the Olympics back then, the call sounds like it was, as I would put it, coming from a telephone; the via satelitte technology didn't advance much yet. American sports broadcasts overseas sounded crystal clear even then, with some exceptions, when I saw the Opening Ceremony on NBC.

Part 1 (with Official TV Intro)

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Not exactly Opening Ceremony, but it's something that is related to it because...it's the Torch Relay! A rare and interesting look from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Torch report from Sweden's SVT as it made its way through northern California, long before CTV, ERT, CCTV, and 7 made it commonplace on TV several years later.

Not exactly Opening Ceremony, but it's something that is related to it because...it's the Torch Relay! A rare and interesting look from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Torch report from Sweden's SVT as it made its way through northern California, long before CTV, ERT, CCTV, and 7 made it commonplace on TV several years later.

Well, mostly this clip is just a "programme interrupted" sign ("Tillfälligt avbrott" means "Temporary interruption"), with only a few seconds at the end from the torch relay.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a rare jewel a couple of days ago. From the opening ceremony of the 1st East Asian Games in Shanghai. We can see a young Liu Huan performing with Wei Wei the theme song. He would perform again, fifteen years later, this time in the 2008 Olympics opening, the song ''You and me'' with Sarah Brightman.

These games were used back then to promote the Beijing bid for the 2000 games, which were held in the end on Sydney.

FINALLY! After centuries, someone posted the hardest Asian Games opening ceremony to find, i'm talking about Hiroshima 1994. Not full, but it shows several excerpts of it. More simple and less intimidating than Beijing '90 but with a more friendly atmosphere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrpCwUZgFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrpCwUZgFw

PD: The composer of the ceremonial music worked on Mobile Suite Gundam anime o.o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4r81P54AU

I found a rare jewel a couple of days ago. From the opening ceremony of the 1st East Asian Games in Shanghai. We can see a young Liu Huan performing with Wei Wei the theme song. He would perform again, fifteen years later, this time in the 2008 Olympics opening, the song ''You and me'' with Sarah Brightman.

These games were used back then to promote the Beijing bid for the 2000 games, which were held in the end on Sydney.

Boy, it's just EXHAUSTING to watch and listen to that /\ /\ !!

The Hiroshima one is very playful altho a lot of its patterns and moves seem meaningless to me. Just a lot of running around and jumping--kinda a lot of the qualities in Nagano '98. The Japanese seem to love this 'cutesy' stuff. Here's part 2 of the Hiroshima ceremony, w/ the Lighting of the Cauldron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4r81P54AU&NR=1

Thanks, Jose. (So far, I think the Albertville pre-show and the Mexico '86 ones are the most interesting from a historical POV.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Boy, it's just EXHAUSTING to watch and listen to that /\ /\ !!

The Hiroshima one is very playful altho a lot of its patterns and moves seem meaningless to me. Just a lot of running around and jumping--kinda a lot of the qualities in Nagano '98. The Japanese seem to love this 'cutesy' stuff. Here's part 2 of the Hiroshima ceremony, w/ the Lighting of the Cauldron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4r81P54AU&NR=1

Thanks, Jose. (So far, I think the Albertville pre-show and the Mexico '86 ones are the most interesting from a historical POV.)

I agree with you, it seems that japanese prefer to use a simple style for their ceremonies (but which are very well organized), and some of the Hiroshima vids remind me a lot of Nagano (in fact i think that even the announcers are the same). I have a better video of the lighting of the cauldron, since the one posted at youtube had the entrance of the torch cut, but i'll post it later. For what i've read and seen on pics, there are still several segments missing from those vids (they brought life sized cherry blossom trees, or Sakura as you prefer to call them, inside the arena, and there was a performance of Samurais as well)

Also, Hiroshima 94 was probably one of the last sport ceremonies on which the final torch bearer(s) didnt do any handover of the torch to other athletes on the final leg, and lit the cauldron by themselves (the other last one i remember it happened this way was the 1995 Pan Am's).

Also did you know that the guys who designed the mascots of the Hiroshima Asiad (those two doves on the first video) did also the design of the mascot of the Nagano bid? (you know, that weasel on skies). However the design was later scrapped and they used those creepy owls in the end, kinda like what happened to the Chamois (the mascot of the Albertville bid).

I heard rumours that the reason behind the change is because weasels are considered to bring bad luck, according to them. Kinda ironic since they used a weasel as a mascot and they got the games.

Quite strange, that cauldron lighting in Hiroshima. They dipped their torches into the cauldron, they stepped away from the cauldron and only then, after 25 seconds, the cauldron actually lit up??? Or it's only that crappy camera angle from below which prevents one from actually seeing what happens in the cauldron.

Anyway, here's another jewel: The first ten minutes of the closing ceremony of Lake Placid 1980, the second-to-last Olympic ceremony held indoors before the Vancouver 2010 Games (the last indoor ceremony was Sarajevo's closing in 1984). Obviously, the guy who uploaded the clip plans to upload further parts of the ceremony (he named the clip "part 1").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFN4Yk4zo4E

The interesting thing about that Lake Placid clip is that at 5:27, Jim McKay comments on the Olympic Orchestra that it played outside in the cold at the opening ceremony after special preparations. "Special preparations" -- does that mean that they actually played live, only with the instruments being especially prepared, or does that mean that they simply mimed? ;) I'm surprised since Baron always said that it's practically impossible for an orchestra to play live at freezing temperatures.

Anyway, it's great that the Olympic Orchestra seemed to play live at least at Lake Placid's closing ceremony. Live orchestras have become very rare at major sports events (including the national anthems played before World Cup and EURO matches, they are always pre-recorded as well).

The interesting thing about that Lake Placid clip is that at 5:27, Jim McKay comments on the Olympic Orchestra that it played outside in the cold at the opening ceremony after special preparations. "Special preparations" -- does that mean that they actually played live, only with the instruments being especially prepared, or does that mean that they simply mimed? ;) I'm surprised since Baron always said that it's practically impossible for an orchestra to play live at freezing temperatures.

Lake Placid '80 had a very small Ceremonies budget; and I didn't read anywhere where it said that there was miming involved. But perhaps Jim MacKay might've meant things like obviously, thicker uniforms, and for the trumpeters, etc., whose lips actually have to touch cold brass, they might've been fitted with plastic fittings in order to render them 'playable' or maybe they had some 'warming devices' by them in order to warm them up. Maybe I'll have to look more into 'winter' preps of bands & orchestras. But I believe the LP Opening conditions were nowhere as freezing as Salt Lake City's was. The LP opening was held under overcast conditions...so at least there was some humidity there. Of the last two decades, it LOOKS like the most freezing Openings were Calgary, Lillehammer and Salt Lake. Albertville, Nagano and Torino seemed to be bearable. Of course, Vancouver was the warmest; and Sochi's will also probably be bearable!!

That reminds me, on the handover of Vancouver 2010 to Sochi, when they shown the orchestra playing at Red Square in Moscow...i think all of us know how dreadful are winters in Russia, so i'm surprised they managed to play on that moment (even if it was prerecorded). Sapporo 72 and Innsbruck 76 had music bands playing during the opening ceremonies (their CC were also held indoors), however i'm not very sure how cold it was back then.

Quite strange, that cauldron lighting in Hiroshima. They dipped their torches into the cauldron, they stepped away from the cauldron and only then, after 25 seconds, the cauldron actually lit up??? Or it's only that crappy camera angle from below which prevents one from actually seeing what happens in the cauldron.

For what i've read, the opening ceremony ran 30 minutes longer than planned (probably because of delays during the parade?). The organizers said that the delay on the cauldron lighting was a deliberate ploy to ensure that any low-flying doves which were simultaneously released would not be fried in the fire. Shigeaki Saegusa mentioned that they wanted to avoid what happend in Seoul 88 (aka dove barbacue), specially since doves are also a special symbol in Hiroshima.

For what i've read, the opening ceremony ran 30 minutes longer than planned (probably because of delays during the parade?). The organizers said that the delay on the cauldron lighting was a deliberate ploy to ensure that any low-flying doves which were simultaneously released would not be fried in the fire. Shigeaki Saegusa mentioned that they wanted to avoid what happend in Seoul 88 (aka dove barbacue), specially since doves are also a special symbol in Hiroshima.

That explanation makes complete sense, Jose. Of course, they could've altered protocol a bit and lit the cauldron first AND THEN released the doves afterwards.

But you know, you will always have depressed, suicidal doves! Kamikaze? Sepuko? Why not give all of them Zoloft before the show? :lol:

Really? That's interesting. Where do you get all those information from?

But did you read anywhere what happened to the original flame from the torches dipped into the cauldron? Did it silently burn in the cauldron on low gas until they completely opened the gas valve or did it go out and they simply lit the cauldron automatically?

Really? That's interesting. Where do you get all those information from?

But did you read anywhere what happened to the original flame from the torches dipped into the cauldron? Did it silently burn in the cauldron on low gas until they completely opened the gas valve or did it go out and they simply lit the cauldron automatically?

Well i searched through the archive on Google News (which has an archive of various news arround the world) on the year 1994, thats how i got this info (it was from the Manila Standard newspaper).

The article doesnt say if they lit it with low gas or automatically, Probably they lit it with low gas, however i'm not sure. Blame that angle they used for the broadcast, which made hard to see if the flame was lit automatically or not.

We finally have the producers of the opening ceremony... after 2007, Scott Givens will return in 2011

FiveCurrents appointed Executive Producer of Ceremonies for the Guadalajara 2011 Pan and Parapan American Games

11/9/2010

8 November 2010 - Guadalajara, Mexico - The Organizing Committee for the XVI Pan American Games (COPAG) today announced that they have appointed FiveCurrents as Executive Producer of Ceremonies for the Guadalajara 2011 Pan and Parapan American Games. The Opening Ceremony of the 2011 Pan American Games will take place on 14 October 2011 at Omnilife Stadium. The Closing Ceremony will bring the Games to an end on 30 October and will include a handover to the next host city, Toronto, Canada. The Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games will be broadcast throughout the Americas and around the world.

On 12 November 2011, the Parapan American Games Opening Ceremony will commence the Games at the Pan American Athletics Stadium and the Closing Ceremony will bring the Games to an end on 20 November 2011.

Scott Givens, FiveCurrents' president said, "We are thrilled and honored to work with COPAG on the Ceremonies of the XVI Pan American Games and look forward to bringing the story of Guadalajara to life in front of a worldwide audience."

FiveCurrents is a mega-event production firm with production credits ranging from the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games to the Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Ceremonies. FiveCurrents also produced the Ceremonies of the XV Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The Pan American Games is a multi-sport event between athletes from all nations in the Americas, held every four years in the year before the summer Olympic Games. Recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC), the Pan American Games was established 8 August 19

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=35928

Our friend ikarus360 has uploaded recently the finale of the Beijing 1990 Asiad OC. Thank you, I'm looking for this for a long time...

P.S. I like the song in this video, if anyone can translate the title, please do!

Oh? That was the Opening? I thought it was the CLosing.

Here's what the Opening theme song is:

We are China...China is we

We are a great and gentle people

Ever hospitable and kind

We may raise the red lantern

But we do not pollute the environment

We do NOT put melanine in baby's milk

We do NOT devalue our currency

Polite but NOT pollute

We do NOT overpopulate the planet!!

Together, India, Pakistan, Japan and Korea

Have more people than us!!

Oh, don't forget Taiwan too!!

Those heathen, brazen cowards

Who only think of money!!

But never mind, they are Chinese too!!

China is great!

China is heaven on earth!

Clean, beautiful, gentle China!!

Do NOT **** with us!!

BTW, where is this stadium now?

Oh? That was the Opening? I thought it was the CLosing.

Here's what the Opening theme song is:

BTW, where is this stadium now?

I loled :lol:

And that's Worker's Stadium, it still exist and in fact it was used as a venue for football at the 2008 Olympics (and on the 2001 Universiade)

I have the Albertville 92 opening soundtrack, and to be honest, it's just not enjoyable to listen to . The ceremony itself had its moments, but it lacked the glue to form a good show I think.

!!

If you don't mind, could you please upload it?

Thanks in advance.