Ceremonies On Youtube

Sorry, guys. I had to delete my account at YouTube. It just seems that the IOC is really cracking down on Olympic Games uploads now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an edited clip of most of Albertville's Opening. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyipsdgnbbY&NR=1[\media] What does it all mean (other than "Oh Look, I can design great costumes!

Regardless. The images are those paid for by NBC. But here's the thing: what are the IOC and NBC going to do with those clips? I mean they are meant to be enjoyed by anybody who gets a kick from th

/\ Thanks for posting that, olympics08. Indeed an interesting find. It's just like Moscow'80 redux...only "happier, more joyous! Oh, look at the happy, content citizens of the Soviet Union (the e

Sorry, guys. I had to delete my account at YouTube. It just seems that the IOC is really cracking down on Olympic Games uploads now.

Weird. They never told me anything about the pre-2006 videos i post on Youtube, but now they are acting all batshit overprotective with the Beijing/Vancouver ones.

Anyway, i'm going to miss your videos so much Guardian :( but perhaps you took the right decision.

Hey Guardian? Just a question, did they took down your Lillehammer vids?

Because now the opening ceremony of Lillehammer which was uploaded by harrunostasj was taken down by himself because IOC was deleting them. Good thing i posted the torrent file some days ago :lol: Btw..he was very pissed off and dissapointed that the IOC is doing this instead of making a good use of Youtube technology (and its weird that they took down the ceremonies vids on their page... <_< talking about being hypocrite)

I'm not going to delete my videos anyway...

Weird. They never told me anything about the pre-2006 videos i post on Youtube, but now they are acting all batshit overprotective with the Beijing/Vancouver ones.

Anyway, i'm going to miss your videos so much Guardian :( but perhaps you took the right decision.

My videos of Salt Lake 2002 was getting deleted, along with Athens 2004 and Torino 2006. What is funny is that my Lillehammer 1994 closing ceremony, Nagano 1998 and Sydney 2000 videos were never touched.

My videos of Salt Lake 2002 was getting deleted, along with Athens 2004 and Torino 2006. What is funny is that my Lillehammer 1994 closing ceremony, Nagano 1998 and Sydney 2000 videos were never touched.

I dont get why they went after Lillehammer as well..weird considering some other guy uploaded the SAME videos some months ago and he never got busted ¬_¬ .

Anyway, perhaps its better to start saving the YT vids before its too late (some of your Nagano vids were uploaded by someone at Nicovideo.jp a couple of years ago)

Suggestion: don't use the word Olympic. Also vary the places a litte. If Lillehammer, maybe spell it out as Lilyhummer 1994 Apertura. Salt lake maybe Slat Lake...misspell them a little. That way they'll be a little harder to track down.

Perhaps. I'll start removing some obvious tags from my Albertville videos now (anyway i didnt put the Philipe Decoufle tag on them, fearing he can take down my videos as well)

Once again..thank god i saved your vids (specially the Albertville parade) :( . What the hell is happening to IOC anyway? Not like they are the complete owners of the show, how about Mr. Atkins in 2000 and 2010 :lol: i expected David Atkins would took down the Sydney vids for example.

*sigh* How about we try uploading somewhere else like Dailymotion instead of throwig all this footage back to the dust, so at least we can enjoy them from there (they are not that restrictive on Dailymotion, Youtube its starting to suck big time now with the copyright drama)

Well, I suppose that the IOC also took down the ceremonial videos from their own website because some YouTube members simply copied them and uploaded them to YouTube.

But what is happening there is a big, big shame. Especially that Guardian's very large and important library of ceremonial clips has vanished is sad. While it's still possible to post complete movies or songs on YouTube, they prohibit videos of Olympic ceremonies which are watched by probably only a rather small community of Olympic aficionados like us? Now that's very pathetic.

And if I was in your place, I would really move to another platform like Dailymotion. YouTube has obviously become too popular meanwhile and therefore is the prime target for such copyright raids. I would especially try to keep the videos from 2000 and before online -- if you already said that they were never touched so far (maybe only besides some clips of the musical performances at Atlanta's closing ceremony).

I think the IOC is getting its ducks lined up in somehow coming up with a whole DVD series on Ceremonies past...knowing how much the genre now attracts worldwide attention. That is the only reason I can see for them all of a sudden exercising all their copyright prerogatives. The Organzing Committees of the past mostly no longer exist and don't give a hoot. And I think Getty Images being named the Official Photographer of the IOC might also have something to do with it.

What you say has a lot of logic Baron. I still find a little hard they release DVD collections of ceremonies, but with the popularity on ceremonies raised, plus Gettyimages being the official photographers, makes you think about their reasons deleting them.

Perhaps we can upload their colection back on Dailymotion :P my Torino videos are still there after 3 years untouched, and they are not that restrictive like Youtube, like i said before. Another option is Bittorrent (and we can get a pretty good quality for the videos. For example, the person who uploaded the now missing Lillehammer OC has uploaded the ceremony on Bittorrent so people cans still enjoy it. However i still need to learn about how to upload and seed on BT before doing it. )

*sigh* anyway, enjoy the Melbourne 2006 parade of nations (i hope the CWG dont do the copyright bitchin as well <_< )

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

PART 6

What you say has a lot of logic Baron. I still find a little hard they release DVD collections of ceremonies, but with the popularity on ceremonies raised, plus Gettyimages being the official photographers, makes you think about their reasons deleting them.

Perhaps we can upload their colection back on Dailymotion :P my Torino videos are still there after 3 years untouched, and they are not that restrictive like Youtube, like i said before. Another option is Bittorrent (and we can get a pretty good quality for the videos. For example, the person who uploaded the now missing Lillehammer OC has uploaded the ceremony on Bittorrent so people cans still enjoy it. However i still need to learn about how to upload and seed on BT before doing it. )

I don't know whether Bittorrent is a good option. I personally wouldn't want to have to download the whole ceremony just to watch it. Watching it part by part on YouTube etc. is much easier.

I don't know whether Bittorrent is a good option. I personally wouldn't want to have to download the whole ceremony just to watch it. Watching it part by part on YouTube etc. is much easier.

I know, but after watching whats happening these last days, we're probably wont be able to watch ceremonies there. So i only suggested a possible option (although is the hardest one)

Well, I think I overstayed at YouTube anyway. Besides, I was surprised that it lasted this long: about 3 years, before the IOC started cracking down on my videos.

Yesterday was the opening ceremony of the IX South American Games in Medellin, Colombia (a mini version of the Pan Am Games). Although its not a very important sport event, they decided to put a major effort on their ceremonies, hiring Franco Dragone (former director of Cirque du Soleil) to make the show, which was called ''Ecos''.

I'll leave you with some vids..perhaps this is what could have happened if Vancouver 2010 hired the Cirque in the end? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nSls7uZoI

PD: Btw the firework show beats up the Vancouver one <_<...

Well, I think I overstayed at YouTube anyway. Besides, I was surprised that it lasted this long: about 3 years, before the IOC started cracking down on my videos.

And are you planning to re-upload the videos on another platform (such as Dailymotion)? I think it's a tremendous loss that especially your videos aren't available anymore.

And are you planning to re-upload the videos on another platform (such as Dailymotion)? I think it's a tremendous loss that especially your videos aren't available anymore.

I'll look up Dailymotion's website for more information, before I commit to the idea.

Somebody named MROlympicGames posted this on Youtube:

The clip very obviously says © IOC. So maybe Guardian, Ikarus, you might want to put that on the clips you want to post so that they won't be taken down. Apparently, the IOC has taken step to "own" even the 1936 clips even though technically by copyright lapse, those would be in the public domain...except of course, they bothered to renew ownership.

Astonishingly, even these clips of the Beijing 2008 opening ceremony are still on YouTube -- already since October 2008, and although one can find them easily with the search string "Beijing opening ceremony".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ItRrO6P1W4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3so3sqi8-Y&feature=related (and so on)

That guy obviously was only prohibited uploading the second part of the opening ceremony, with the glowing Olympic Rings, the "Ode to the Motherland", the Chinese anthem and the beginning of the paper segment. So the censors must know that these clips exist -- and that leaves you wondering why those weren't deleted, while Guardian already got problems by only uploading the overture of the CBC broadcast of the Beijing opening ceremony.

Strange thing... Anyway, if I were in your place, guys, I'd open a new account and make a test upload of any Olympic ceremonial clip, just to see whether they still crack down on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the increasingly strict video policy of the IOC, the great people of VANOC have uploaded the complete 2010 Olympic opening ceremony to their YouTube account:

The complete Vancouver 2010 Olympic opening ceremony

Thumbs up, VANOC and Vancouver! This only proves once more that you were terrific hosts.