Ceremonies On Youtube

Congrats raven. What a find! You're a pretty good researcher.

On viewing some of these simulations, I realize now why most of his overall concepts for this Ceremony did not appeal to me.

For example, those projections (varied phases of humankind, its achievements, etc.) and the music. It sounded too much like "2001: A Space Odyssey" and the projections were just TOO abstract for me. Humanity; mankind. Yeah? Humankind is more than just a collection of disparate images on floating pieces of styrofoam. I think humanity is MORE than just projected images -- perhaps if human beings actually performed something saying "this is humanity,' that might've impressed me more.

Also, the wonder of all the levitations I think, took away from the more profound messages DP was trying to convey.

That's why I felt a 'cold' quality to most of the proceedings of that night. Too abstract, and relying more on stage machinery rather than human exertions.

(The Clepsydra clip looked like a sneak peek/test for costumes, coloring and the concept for ATHOC bigwigs, probably some IOC members, and I think the costume and make-up crews. )

But it's nice to see the computerized simulations.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an edited clip of most of Albertville's Opening. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyipsdgnbbY&NR=1[\media] What does it all mean (other than "Oh Look, I can design great costumes!

Regardless. The images are those paid for by NBC. But here's the thing: what are the IOC and NBC going to do with those clips? I mean they are meant to be enjoyed by anybody who gets a kick from th

/\ Thanks for posting that, olympics08. Indeed an interesting find. It's just like Moscow'80 redux...only "happier, more joyous! Oh, look at the happy, content citizens of the Soviet Union (the e

No, only by the half because of a failure on the raising mechanism below Bjork. And because of the ripples, the map of the world could not be appreciated as it was intended.

Here, a vid of that part on the actual OC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QzrqHaHiu8g

At least in this video (which is obviously from the NBC HD broadcast) one can see anything of the world map (starting at 3:40). But it's very dim, though -- one can roughly recognise Australia, Eurasia and Africa, America is apparently cut off on the left side of the cloth.

Well, one can say that this segment flopped almost completely. Maybe that's the result if you try to copy a concept which was already used in two previous Olympics (Barcelona and Sydney). ;)

At least in this video (which is obviously from the NBC HD broadcast) one can see anything of the world map (starting at 3:40). But it's very dim, though -- one can roughly recognise Australia, Eurasia and Africa, America is apparently cut off on the left side of the cloth.

Well, one can say that this segment flopped almost completely. Maybe that's the result if you try to copy a concept which was already used in two previous Olympics (Barcelona and Sydney). ;)

The irony is that it worked perfectly during the final Dress Rehearsal. ;)

Going to shut down my YouTube account soon.

I suppose it's those trolls again. Why do you bother so much about them? And why do you punish us, the many users who very much enjoy your videos? We're still in the majority, aren't we? :huh:

And, by the way: There's certainly a way to report stalking YouTube members to the YouTube moderators. I've already seen that people who obviously constantly insulted other people in their text comments got their accounts suspended.

These last few days, I have been not feeling well. My physical illness has even started affecting my mind. So, let's just say that I seem to be targeted unnecessarily over there. What the h ell is going on over at YouTube? I didn't have any of those comments before, until it all started just last month in a snowball effect! :o

Lately, most of the posts I have been getting are about how all the performances, especially in the opening ceremonies of all the Games I have uploaded, have been faked. PERHAPS OR PERHAPS NOT! For one, I am not into the finer details of the music industry because I DO NOT KNOW WHAT GOES ON THERE! Yet, I bet all those guys complaining in their comments about the singing and the like in the clips think they are so better than all of them combined. And, yet, I would love to have them come up to those, like Gloria Estefan, Julie Anthony, Sissel, etc., and put in a YouTube clip that they are all fakes LIVE! I guess American Idol and its "reality foolishness" is all fake, too. "What creativity? There is none", they would say. The same goes with all the rest of the performances, athletic and show alike. For example, I got one comment from some "guy" that claims that he can run faster than Maurice Greene in the 100m. If you have forgotten about him, he was the Olympic gold medalist in the event with the time of 9.87 sec at Sydney 2000. Oh, sure, can you prove it? An athlete of that caliber will NEVER BRAG OR BOAST about his/her performance like an immature kid like that! :rolleyes:

And, on top of that, calling ME stupid with an IQ of zero. I am only uploading clips that I have and I AM BEING CRITICIZED FOR THAT?!?!? I guess some people have too much time on their hands. Talk about wanting to shoot the messenger, like all the hoopla about Tibet and the Beijing 2008 torch relay. And, you do not want to know what people have told me about that issue lately. It goes beyond al-Qaeda extremism, to put it mildly. You think the news you heard about it sounds bad lately, then think again. So much for the truth: it gets lost in the mail too many times! :(:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your illness, Guard.

OK, I won't post the fact that I know for sure that that wasn't Nikki Webster at the actual Sydney Ceremony. It was a double; and they just had the real Nikki on the side for the interviews. The double was actually a male midget who was cleverly made up to pass for Nikki.

I hope my not posting that on Youtube makes you feel better. ;)

Seriously, get better.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

No kidding, olympian. They are coming in like spam big time. I have already dealt with the obvious spam posts at my clip uploads; it is these "veteran" YouTubers that bug me. A few of them have seen THOUSANDS of clips of whatever kind over there. Again, talk about too much time on their hands. With me, the number of clips I have seen that is posted in my username is shown because I have to monitor what kind of comments that were coming my way. The only way I can see them, if I have to delete them before it is allowed to be shown, is for me to log on there. That is why my number is in a couple of hundreds of times.

Besides, baron, I already have known that the singing is faked in some ways in all the videos I have uploaded. For example, last January, I was in Walt Disney World in Florida. I know that the "singers" that perform at the Magic Kingdom's Main Street is fake because the music and the singing is just too exact every time they play them. So, if the guests haven't figured out that it is just a recording and the "singers" are just lip-synching it in some fashion, then I have no further comment to add. Besides, you don't do some dance moves and expect to sing like that at the same time. If you guys have been to any of the Disney parks in Florida, Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong and have seen any of those kind of performances, then you do understand what I mean.

It is the bragging and boasting comments that say they are better than any of them are the ones that really irks me. I guess some of them hang around karaoke bars too much or whatever fantasy club they fashioned to amuse themselves in an underground way. One does not want to embarrass oneself too much in public nowadays.

Okay, guys. I want this question straighten out because I am getting a "lot of positive answers" about one of my descriptions that is now confusing me. Here is the question:

"How many times has the Olympic Anthem (Hymn) been sung in GREEK, other than the two Athens Games (1896 and 2004)?"

It seems that there are a lot more times than what I know, according to many YouTubers commenting on my videos. I know PERSONALLY that Sydney 2000 and Calgary 1988 had them because I heard them loud and clear with no doubt. Now, I was told that it was sung at Montreal 1976 and Moscow 1980. The first one got me scratching my head because I thought the organizers then really wanted to have things all French big time. Rav3n could help me with the latter one because of his uploads of those ceremonies.

Okay, guys. I want this question straighten out because I am getting a "lot of positive answers" about one of my descriptions that is now confusing me. Here is the question:

"How many times has the Olympic Anthem (Hymn) been sung in GREEK, other than the two Athens Games (1896 and 2004)?"

It seems that there are a lot more times than what I know, according to many YouTubers commenting on my videos. I know PERSONALLY that Sydney 2000 and Calgary 1988 had them because I heard them loud and clear with no doubt. Now, I was told that it was sung at Montreal 1976 and Moscow 1980. The first one got me scratching my head because I thought the organizers then really wanted to have things all French big time. Rav3n could help me with the latter one because of his uploads of those ceremonies.

Well, rav3n has cleared up that Montreal thing in the "Music Collection of the Olympic Games" thread a couple of months ago:

According to the Montreal 1976 Official Report, the anthem overture started to play right when the Olympic Flag arrived into the stadium, carried by eight male athletes and accompanied by four female athletes (these twelve representing Canada's ten provinces and two territories). When the flag arrived onto the pole, the Orpheus Choir (formed by Canadians of greek origin or ancestry) sang the original unaccompained version of the Olympic Hymn by Spirou Samara and Costis Palamas (that's why the pitch is somewhat similar to the one used at Athens 2004).

Another curiosity is that i think some international games after Montreal 76 used this arrangement as somekind of official version of the Olympic Anthem (before the releasing in 1985 of the Harry van Hoof arrangement which, as you say, is used currently on the IOC Sessions). I say this because i remember to have listened to this same version of the anthem at the 1983 Pan American Games Opening Ceremony (when J.A Samaranch hoisted the olympic flag).

Back then, you could even download the file of that version of the Olympic Anthem at the nationalanthems.us forum. But it seems to have been deleted from the "Olympic Anthem" thread there.

Luckily, I've downloaded the piece already back then and so here it's back up again:

Montreal 1976 - Orpheus Choir - Olympic Anthem

I know we've mentioned this before; but it's always refreshing to go back and visit the Mass Games of North Korea. Nothing beats them for SHEER SPECTACLE and the MASS use of bodies -- the thousands recruited for the show -- and the writhing bodies!!

Here's the 2007 edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBWOEdy_-qM...feature=related

Why was Beloved God-Leader so bored in this one?

I mean the spectacle is just unceasing!!

I'd like to see something like this for Beijing at 10x the scale!!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
I know we've mentioned this before; but it's always refreshing to go back and visit the Mass Games of North Korea. Nothing beats them for SHEER SPECTACLE and the MASS use of bodies -- the thousands recruited for the show -- and the writhing bodies!!

Here's the 2007 edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBWOEdy_-qM...feature=related

Why was Beloved God-Leader so bored in this one?

I mean the spectacle is just unceasing!!

I'd like to see something like this for Beijing at 10x the scale!!!

Actually they did this for the 1990 Asian Games Opening Ceremony, almost all of the north tribune of the Workers Arena was turned into a giant stunt card section. Besides, it was the Chineses who first introduced this ''Mass Games'' during the Mao Zedong era.

Also i highly recommend you to watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=F9c0bGNqDJg . And you will understand why the chinese were the ones who gave the idea to North Korea (and the Soviet Union, which never reached the same level of it)

Actually they did this for the 1990 Asian Games Opening Ceremony, almost all of the north tribune of the Workers Arena was turned into a giant stunt card section. Besides, it was the Chineses who first introduced this ''Mass Games'' during the Mao Zedong era.

Also i highly recommend you to watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=F9c0bGNqDJg . And you will understand why the chinese were the ones who gave the idea to North Korea (and the Soviet Union, which never reached the same level of it)

Great!! THanks, raven. Say do you -- or anyone on the forum -- know if one can print still images from these videos? Is there a way to do it?

Great!! THanks, raven. Say do you -- or anyone on the forum -- know if one can print still images from these videos? Is there a way to do it?

1. When displaying the respective YouTube video, choose the "full screen" mode by clicking on the symbol in the lower right corner of the video window

2. Press the "Print" key (on my notebook that key is called "PrtSc/Sys Req") when you've reached the requested frame of the clip

3. Open "Microsoft Paint" (if you use Windows) and view the screen print by pressing Ctrl+V.