Sign in to follow this  
ChicagoFan90

Ceremonies On Youtube

A few more of Auckland 1990, with shades of Barcelona 2 years later. I guess the voyage of discovery concept was also used during the opening ceremony of Euro 2004.

opening007.jpg

opening025.jpg

Isn't that Tokyo opening ceremony footage actually taken from the excellent Criterion Collection Tokyo Olympiad DVD? I believe it is..and I want to get it soon! :)

Isn't that Tokyo opening ceremony footage actually taken from the excellent Criterion Collection Tokyo Olympiad DVD? I believe it is..and I want to get it soon! :)

PS: RIP Bullet Bob Hayes. Nice footage of his winning the 100m sprint.

There are very few *new ideas* when it comes to stadium theatre.

Where you can complain another city copied anothers idea, u could do the same for most.

Barcelona 92's El Mar segment, with a boat travelling through an ocean, was for instance, very similar to Auckland 1990's Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony by Logan Brewer and Mary Jane O'Reilly.

bigevents05.jpg

http://www.teara.govt.nz/Places/Auckland/A...s/Standard/7/en

Interesting. Thanks, Matty.

Yeah, there are very few 'new, original' ideas left for live stadium theatre. Some just get more refined in a succeeding edition.

Atlanta's opening ceremony was for the most part extremely beauiful in my opinion.

From the spirits of the rings comig up from th side of the stadium, to the river of puppets, to the *tradition of the games* shadow play.

Perhaps parts of the welcome to the world segment was kitch and cheesey, but no different to a giant *gday* banner in Sydney really?

Thanks. Yes, perhaps in structure, the Atlanta OC 'copied' Barcelona's in some aspects -- but how else could it go? There are certain goalposts you have to TOUCH upon in each Olympic Ceremony.

1. The Olympic spirits -- very integral to the Centennial theme of the Games.

The Drum opening -- yes, Barcelona had the drums; but so did Athens. (And the 5 Olympic tribes, representing all the peoples of the world mingle together. Well, that's like the "Arrivals" portion in Sydney.)

2. The flags and National Anthem and colors and welcome of the head of state of the host nation - required by IOC protocol. ALL the OCs must have that.

3. Welcome to Atlanta -- yeah, that's kinda kitschy and cheesy -- but they had to show something expressing the vitality and youth of the host region. If it was kitschy, then so be it.

4. The "Life on the River" segment -- yeah, sure. But it represented the history and WAY OF Life of the South. Barcelona had its Ramblas Opening, then the El Mar which was a mythical retelling of the region; and Sydney had its "Deep Sea Dreamin." I don't see how else one could've told the host region's story in a beautiful and stately pageant.

5. Zeus' Temple (the Magic Lantern) -- And then an homage to ancient Greece where the Games began. No other Opening's had that -- so each Ceremony will always have its strengths and weaknesses -- and whatever appeals to the viewer. What do the say: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We've been thru this before.

I am sure most elements of Beijing's Ceremonies will be refinements of earlier executions.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think one of the absolutely original pieces in recent memory would be from the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony, and their *Under the Milky Way* segment.

A duet of sorts with a gaggle of ballerina's and bmx riders.

Amazing how the segment was extremely beautiful and romantic, based around the concept of chance encounters in Melbourne during the Commonwealth Games.

An amazing orchestral/band soundtrack with it too.

I think one of the absolutely original pieces in recent memory would be from the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony, and their *Under the Milky Way* segment.

A duet of sorts with a gaggle of ballerina's and bmx riders.

Amazing how the segment was extremely beautiful and romantic, based around the concept of chance encounters in Melbourne during the Commonwealth Games.

An amazing orchestral/band soundtrack with it too.

Yeah, I liked that one too. My only complaint was the color-scheme. A little to flat. It could've used more color (in the costumes, lighting, etc.,) as the segment wore on.

thanks! wow that opening is definately much more solemn than all of the other one's...and I forgot NBC "borrowed" Jim McKay for the 2002 coverage....after seeing all of thier openings on youtube, I can't wait to see their Beijing one...I wonder who will host the opening with Bob Costas now that Couric is completely gone (although she didn't do Torino either because she was getting ready to leave NBC at the time)...

I wonder who will host the opening with Bob Costas now that Couric is completely gone (although she didn't do Torino either because she was getting ready to leave NBC at the time)...

I nominate our very own 'taichi.'

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I hope it's not Brian Williams. I thought he was so annoying in Torino *cringes*

I don't think I would mind Meredith Viera.

It probably won't be. It may end up being Al Michaels, though I hope it goes better than "Baseketball".

yea Williams was a little umm...gloomy...that night in his commentary (The Daily Show even poked fun at that lol)...it won't be him again, he was just a last minute replacement for Katie who was on her way out...they said it was because she was "touring Italy" prior to arriving in Torino, but everyone knew the real reason....

Viera would be wonderful, but I don't think they will go with her....it probably will be that female tennis player Mary Carillo who usually helps out a lot in the coverage and who always hosts the closing ceremony coverage....if not female, I would say Tiki Barber will do it

Edited by SOlympiadsW

There are very few *new ideas* when it comes to stadium theatre.

Gotcha, Jack Morton, Gianna and Dmitris!!

Including that 'Psychedilec head rising out of the Athens 2004 'lake' and exploding (because of a giant headache). :lol:

I thought that was so original. Apparently it ain't.

Was just watching an "Ancient Discoveries" docu on the History Channel tonight. There was a segment on the 'naval battles' staged in the man-made lake at the Roman Colosseum; and at one time, apparently, they had a giant statue or 2 rise out of the 'waters.' But the Colosseum had a lot of underground passages and stage machinery underneath the field.

Crowd-pleaser that it was, a suceeding emperor (I forget now who - Diocletian or something like that) then ordered an even larger spectacle comprising some 50 'battle ships' staged at the now-dry Lago Fusine (sp?) outside Rome. And from a historian's account, a 40-foot high statue of Triton (or was it Poseidon?) rose out of the waters as a climax to the mock battle. The docu showed how they thought it was done -- some 20 centuries ago.

All of this is recorded in history. And that I believe was their inspiration for that astonishing piece of theatre in Athens. However, JMWW refined it by giving it an 'aerial' dimension and making it 'explode.' But still, all courtesy of ancient Rome.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Technology always advance. And that's a help for improving new ideas for the ceremonies. Now that the technology is more advanced that 4 years before, it should be mandatory to see something new and impressive, altought i can't say it will not have similarities with previous shows, since they gave a lot of influence to the creators.

In 2004 i was expecting a Broadway style show, but i was completly surprised by the final result. Zhang Yimou already confesed that his main headache was not to do his ceremony much similar to the one made by Pappaioanu in Athens. So we will see something new, probably (or at least, some interesting segment).

Technology always advance. And that's a help for improving new ideas for the ceremonies. Now that the technology is more advanced that 4 years before, it should be mandatory to see something new and impressive, altought i can't say it will not have similarities with previous shows, since they gave a lot of influence to the creators.

In 2004 i was expecting a Broadway style show, but i was completly surprised by the final result. Zhang Yimou already confesed that his main headache was not to do his ceremony much similar to the one made by Pappaioanu in Athens. So we will see something new, probably (or at least, some interesting segment).

Well, raven, if u r referring to the little segment I related on the idea of some statue coming out of the water, there really wasn't much technological advance on that concept. Pappageno and his Morton crew used cables and aerial rigging to execute their idea (thanks in part to the added Calatrava roof structure). The ancient Romans used an underwater system of pulleys and ropes -- and in the case of the statue, pulled by oxen and men on dry land. I'm too lazy to try and recreate it here.

When it comes to lasers, projections and hydraulics -- anything w/ electricity, then indeed you have technological advances over anything done before 1910. But flying on stage these days (any Peter Pan production) still uses old-fashioned rigging w/ counterweights.

Hey guys, I know that I've taken part in such kind of discussions in this thread, too. But meanwhile, it's getting a little bit out of hand. So could you please continue your discussion elsewhere? We're getting very much off the original purpose of this thread, the posting of new links to ceremonial videos. Everytime I see that a new posting has been made here, I have to find that it's only another contribution to a discussion instead of a new video link. That's getting pretty annoying.

What's the difference? It's all about Ceremonies. We veer off wildly in other discussions anyway.

So start a new thread. Besides, it's going on 58 pages anyway.

What's the difference? It's all about Ceremonies. We veer off wildly in other discussions anyway.

But the focus in this thread are the videos. We have dozens of other ceremonial threads -- so why do you have to discuss every ceremonial aspect in this of all threads?

So start a new thread. Besides, it's going on 58 pages anyway.

You occupy this thread with your discussions and I shall start a new thread? :blink: And it wasn't the length of the thread I criticised -- it was that the thread has lost its focus although there are still new ceremonial videos coming.

Now, returning back to the original meaning of the thread:

A rare jewel i find, from the Opening Ceremony of the 1986 Goodwill Games at Moscow, Soviet Union:

Now, returning back to the original meaning of the thread:

A rare jewel i find, from the Opening Ceremony of the 1986 Goodwill Games at Moscow, Soviet Union:

Except your link doesn't work.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Too much work -- esp if it's a Games I'm not too interested in. :P

Whatever, this is about ceremonies, not about games interest. And remember the commies did very good shows back then.

ikarus366 (rav3n) has uploaded this on Youtube:

LIFE - There is nothing higher than your life -

It's a good song, a song for the 1995 Universiade in Fukuoka, Japan. After the Universiade, the song was turned over to NHK, Japan's national broadcaster, and, I remember when I was small, when I watched this channel on the cable system, they used it on their international channel as the background music for their World Weather Forecast! No voiceover, no meteologists, just an instrumental recording of this lovely song played over their weather maps and charts.

And you know what else about that? 13 years have passed since the Fukuoka Universiade, and their website, despite it is permanetly frozen, is still up!