Ceremonies On Youtube

The only bad thing is that this only contains the ceremony starting from the ligthing of the cauldron (no protocol, in other words), but anyway this was the worthy part of the show, directed by Philipe Decoufle. Also this was the biggest inspiration for greek director Dimitri Papaioannou to create the world recognized Athens 2004 OC.

I hope you like it as i did, i almost lose my hope on watching it :lol: . Hope to see the closing someday.

Thanks for that.

Good time. Definitely one of the most original ceremonies ever. Don Misher also said that, from an artistic point of view, it was his favourite ceremony.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an edited clip of most of Albertville's Opening. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyipsdgnbbY&NR=1[\media] What does it all mean (other than "Oh Look, I can design great costumes!

Regardless. The images are those paid for by NBC. But here's the thing: what are the IOC and NBC going to do with those clips? I mean they are meant to be enjoyed by anybody who gets a kick from th

/\ Thanks for posting that, olympics08. Indeed an interesting find. It's just like Moscow'80 redux...only "happier, more joyous! Oh, look at the happy, content citizens of the Soviet Union (the e

Everyone! Look!

Beijing 2008 Logo Presentation Ceremony - Temple of Heaven - 3 August, 2003

Order:

1. Opening Sequence

2. Pre Ceremony interviews by CCTV (Chinese, last one in English)

3. Opening segment

4. Speech By Liu Qi (OC president) vChinese with ticker showing English translation, faster than his words.)

5. Rogge's Speech (TV link, in English with the Chinese he can understand. Chinese subtitles.)

6. The Unveiling!

7. Video pesentation of Beijing 2008 logo.

8. Final acts directed by Zhang Yimou himself!

9. Farewell by CCTV.

The last word you will see is the word that says "中国中央电视台" (Zhōngguó Zhōngyāng Diànshìtái) which of course means "China Central Television" .

Enjoy the show! If you think some of the artistic elements here would be used in the opening ceremony on 8.8.8, I'll join in your discussion (in the thread "Opening Ceremony Details".) Enjoy again! :)

5. Speech

Everyone! Look!

Order:

1. Opening Sequence

3. Opening segment

4. Speech By Liu Qi (OC president) vChinese with ticker showing English translation, faster than his words.)

5. Rogge's Speech (TV link, in English with the Chinese he can understand. Chinese subtitles.)

6. The Unveiling!

9. Farewell by CCTV.

The last word you will see is the word that says "中国中央电视台" (Zhōngguó Zhōngyāng Diànshìtái) which of course means "China Central Television" .

Enjoy the show! If you think some of the artistic elements here would be used in the opening ceremony on 8.8.8, I'll join in your discussion (in the thread "Opening Ceremony Details".) Enjoy again! :)

5. Speech

Everyone! Look!

Order:

1. Opening Sequence

3. Opening segment

6. The Unveiling!

9. Farewell by CCTV.

5. Speech

Everyone! Look!

Order:

1. Opening Sequence

3. Opening segment

4. Speech By Liu Qi (OC president) (Chinese with ticker showing English translation, faster than his words.)

6. The Unveiling!

9. Farewell by CCTV.

5. Speech

I mean, that clip is the ceremony to unveil the Beijing 2008 logo (Dancing Beijing) on August 3, 2003. It shows the full CCTV broadcast of it.

That's one of the clips you can find on the Beijing official website's video section. Also a must see is how Chinese commentators reacted to the Mayor Wang Quishan reciving the Antwerp Flag. That clip shows the CCTV broadcast of the Beijing 2008 handover (the complete one: the two mayors, the Greek and Chinese anthems, the handover and the presentation).This is also Zhang Yimou's work

Wow, I had seen most of the Opening on Youtube but the closing was as impressive as the opening: Amazing!

Thanks for that.

Some curious find, opening ceremony of the FIFA World Cup in 1978, Argentina.

ed2k://|file|Presentacion.Mundial.78.AC3.XVID01.avi|733353984|49354C706FBCEFD133FEBCD22

9E27F2|/

According to some comments, this was similar to a Nazi spectacle :huh:

Some curious find, opening ceremony of the FIFA World Cup in 1978, Argentina.

ed2k://|file|Presentacion.Mundial.78.AC3.XVID01.avi|733353984|49354C706FBCEFD133FEBCD22

9E27F2|/

According to some comments, this was similar to a Nazi spectacle :huh:

How does that link work? I can't open it.

How does that link work? I can't open it.

You need the eMule program to download it. However is a little slow (since it needs to reconnect to search sources) but is the best P2P downloader out there.

In response to baron, remember that the country was under a rough dictatorship, where hundreds of people dissapeared, so i'm not stranged that they used the youth image to the show. The ''nazi'' comparation was indeed, said by a german reporter who was at Argentina during the World Cup. Anyway, it would be interesting to see this lost jewel.

ina3.jpg

uina5.jpg

uina2.jpg

so i'm not stranged that they used the youth image to the show.

Well, yeah, who else would they show? Seniors in their wheelchairs and their walkers doing calisthenics? Why, that would be "The Producers"!! :lol: where, indeed, they have this musical number: Springtime for Hitler!

A lot of other Ceremonies have used masses of youths for calisthenics: Tokyo 1964, Mexico 1968, Munich 1972, Moscow 1980, Seoul 1988, St. Petersburg GG 1994. And I am sure even Beijing this fall will have their youth doing taekwondo or whatever it is the Chinese want to boast about.

Well, yeah, who else would they show? Seniors in their wheelchairs and their walkers doing calisthenics? Why, that would be "The Producers"!! :lol: where, indeed, they have this musical number: Springtime for Hitler!

A lot of other Ceremonies have used masses of youths for calisthenics: Tokyo 1964, Mexico 1968, Munich 1972, Moscow 1980, Seoul 1988, St. Petersburg GG 1994. And I am sure even Beijing this fall will have their youth doing taekwondo or whatever it is the Chinese want to boast about.

Calisthenics are pretty outdated now, very few ceremonies use it (not event the most recent ones on other China sport events, with exception of the 2001 Universiade). But hey, i tought the cultural performances weren't made until Munich 1972 (or was it Montreal?).

Calisthenics are pretty outdated now, very few ceremonies use it (not event the most recent ones on other China sport events, with exception of the 2001 Universiade). But hey, i tought the cultural performances weren't made until Munich 1972 (or was it Montreal?).

Like rav3n said, calisthenics or other "simple" mass exercise are generally outdated for Olympic Ceremonies. Yeah they used it in Seoul, but ever since Los Angeles in 1984, ceremonies have grown larger, with an ever popular use of storylines and better transitions from segment to segment . Barcelona had the use of the story of Hercules and the Mediterranean Sea, Atlanta had the story of the South from Atlanta to the entire region, Sydney had the best of all with the story of a young Australian girl (Nikki Webster) discovering the enchantment of her homeland, and finally Athens had the story of the foundation of mankind.........so I assume Beijing won't just have simple "Calisthenics performed by smiling children anymore:)

Mexico had some calisthenics (actually at the Zocalo). then some Aztec stuff and some latter-day folk dancing at their Opening. But it was heavy on IOC protocol.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'm glad that calisthentics is already out of the Opening Ceremonies. We already got that out later into the Olympic program with gymnastics, with the exception of the Spanish rythmic gymnasts starting the Parade of Nations in Barcelona (that wasn't shown on NBC for some reason).

I have found some footage of the LA 1984 Summer Olympics highlights featuring the Federal Republic Of Germany (commonly known as West Germany of course) and Ghana marching into the LA Memorial Coliseum. Will Kuheweide carries the German flag. Also as a bonus there's footage of the preliminary men's handball match between West Germany and Spain at the campus of Cal St. Fullerton. ARD and ZDF did the Olympics for FRG, but I think is the ARD's portion with Stanley Schmidt commenating the handball included among that. Yes, the commentators at the time sound like they are speaking on the telephone. But that's back in 1984 with the satelitte technology in communicating isn't as crystal clear as it is now when transfered one nation to another.

I'm hopeful we'll soon get the complete 1984 Olympic Opening Ceremony with the Parade of Nations on YouTube.

Um.. this isn't about ceremonies, but I found a good treat... (especially to Guardian who lives in Calgary)

It begins at 1:39, this clip is from the end of broadcasts on the CBC television station (CBWT) serving the Canadian provinces of Manitoba, Saskachewan and parts of Ontario.

Enjoy :)

OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting that clip. :o

That is the version of Oh Canada that was played at Calgary's opening that I have been trying to find since I lost my Calgary tape years ago! Of course, at the opening a Southern Shoshoni (sp) Indian first sang it in his native tongue which was followed by this version.

I have always thought this was the best version of Oh Canada ever. B)

I have found some footage of the LA 1984 Summer Olympics highlights featuring the Federal Republic Of Germany (commonly known as West Germany of course) and Ghana marching into the LA Memorial Coliseum. Will Kuheweide carries the German flag. Also as a bonus there's footage of the preliminary men's handball match between West Germany and Spain at the campus of Cal St. Fullerton. ARD and ZDF did the Olympics for FRG, but I think is the ARD's portion with Stanley Schmidt commenating the handball included among that. Yes, the commentators at the time sound like they are speaking on the telephone. But that's back in 1984 with the satelitte technology in communicating isn't as crystal clear as it is now when transfered one nation to another.

Was it really the satellite technology which created that "telephone effect"? I always thought that in fact, the commentators used the telephone back then. Because I don't understand why the commentators' sound was transmitted in such inferior quality while the sound of the ceremony was actually pretty clear. And it seems as if Greek television used the telephone to transmit their live comments even until 2000. Remember the clips of the Sydney ceremonies posted by ChristosM? By the way, his YouTube account seems to be suspended. That's too bad. I hope that he uploads his videos again.

I'm hopeful we'll soon get the complete 1984 Olympic Opening Ceremony with the Parade of Nations on YouTube.

Well, LA84 offered to post LA 1984 ceremonial clips of one's choice a couple of months ago. Obviously he has the full original broadcasts.

Well, LA84 offered to post LA 1984 ceremonial clips of one's choice a couple of months ago. Obviously he has the full original broadcasts.

I did? Man I must have been posting under the influence that day if I did. :blink:

I do have several tapes from '84 but haven't bought a DVD machine yet to convert them. That is on my "to do list" for 2008.

I did? Man I must have been posting under the influence that day if I did. :blink:

I do have several tapes from '84 but haven't bought a DVD machine yet to convert them. That is on my "to do list" for 2008.

But this YouTube account is yours, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=olympics84

If so, how did you manage to convert the videos then?

Was it really the satellite technology which created that "telephone effect"? I always thought that in fact, the commentators used the telephone back then. Because I don't understand why the commentators' sound was transmitted in such inferior quality while the sound of the ceremony was actually pretty clear. And it seems as if Greek television used the telephone to transmit their live comments even until 2000. Remember the clips of the Sydney ceremonies posted by ChristosM? By the way, his YouTube account seems to be suspended. That's too bad. I hope that he uploads his videos again.

I actually think you're right Olympian2004. Given how advanced West Germany was technology and economy wise (and surely even more so as part of the reunified Germany) was, the telephone sound surely made it inferior to the visual quality at the time. Who were the commentators at the OC? Was Greek TV really that behind sound-wise with the technology in place back then up to 2000? Notice when the CC 2000 was played the sound improved as the commentators made way for Christine Anu's "My Island Home" and reverted back to the lower quality audio transmission.

I agree, ChristosM's YouTube account was one of the best I've seen for the Olympics there because it provided a Greek perspective to the Olympics. I too hopes he re-uploads them with more stuff, like an extended Athens 2004 Pre-Show (I don't mind if another Greek recorded that too and uploaded it in its entirety instead).