Sign in to follow this  
ChicagoFan90

Ceremonies On Youtube

I know this is not related with ceremonies, but here i leave a rare jewel. A commercial spot of canadian CBC during the Montreal 1976 Olympics:

Nations who used Olympic flags in Moscow:

Australia

Great Britain

France

Italy

The Netherlands

Belguim

Switzerland

Andorra

Denmark

Ireland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

San Marino

Luxembourg

Nations that used its NOC flag in Moscow:

Spain

New Zealand

I believe there were more nations that did not use their national colors. Only 80 nations participated in Moscow 1980.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, I have done all of the clips I had for the Winter Olympics. Some of you have been "demanding" that I put up what I have for the Summer Olympics. What do you guys think?

Well, I have done all of the clips I had for the Winter Olympics. Some of you have been "demanding" that I put up what I have for the Summer Olympics. What do you guys think?

Go ahead!

Yeah, should be also pretty interesting to see canadian footage of these games.

By the way, two rare finds:

Rome 1960 Opening Ceremony (an amateur footage, no-sound, sorry)

Zagreb 1987 Universiade Opening (back then on Yugoslavia, the city is now in Croatia)

Interesting on the Zagreb event. I keep thinking the stupid Youth Olympic Games will be nothing but a duplication of the Universaides.

The Rome one I've seen better footage of. One of the last of the boring, traditional Ceremonies.

Thanks, Raven.

Really interesting vid....a CBC interview with Don Mischer on rehearsal night of the Atlanta 1996 Opening Ceremony....watch at 2:11, where you'll see a glimpse of the rehearsal of "Welcome to the World", and during the entire interview "Welcome to the World" is being rehearsed if you listen closely to the directors giving cues to the performers---minus the pickup trucks..Baron, maybe you remember that night? Sounds like stop and go with the music and soundtracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9WMU-lv_HM

Really interesting vid....a CBC interview with Don Mischer on rehearsal night of the Atlanta 1996 Opening Ceremony....watch at 2:11, where you'll see a glimpse of the rehearsal of "Welcome to the World", and during the entire interview "Welcome to the World" is being rehearsed if you listen closely to the directors giving cues to the performers---minus the pickup trucks..Baron, maybe you remember that night? Sounds like stop and go with the music and soundtracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9WMU-lv_HM

Yeah, that must've been like a month before July 19. The green carpet was already laid out but the performers (as you said doing "Welcome to the World" were too sparse and far between (it could also have been a Closing Ceremony portion). They started bringing all the elements together like around June 30, w/ constant rehearsals every 2 or 3 days, adding on new layers (the music, the lighting, the cues, the costumes, etc.) with each rehearsal. Really one of the memorable experiences of my life.

Side note: didn't know Mischer seemed to be a real affable guy.

Yeah, that must've been like a month before July 19.

But the commentator said in the lead-up to the interview (2:11) that it was made in the week before the opening ceremony.

Another amateur footage, this time of Squaw Valley 1960 Winter Olympics:

Olympics SQUAW VALLEY 1960 (Victory Ceremony) 4/13

Olympics SQUAW VALLEY 1960 02/13

In the user Youtube channel you can find more footage of this games and Rome 60.

Italy 1990 WC - Germany awarding and somekind of Closing Ceremony

Rare finds of Beijing 1990 Asian Games i did hours ago (recorded from Hong Kong television), enjoy:

TV Opening Ident

Beggining of the Ceremony (Marching Band)

Excerpt of the Parade of Nations

One of the cultural performances (i think this was near to the finale)

(this was done on the RCA Dome, while the Opening was on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway)

Curious that USA have not put a bid for the Pan Am Games after San Antonio :S

Wonderful -- that clip makes my old German football heart beat faster of course. ;) How did you find that clip, with all those Chinese letters in the description and the tags? I don't want to know how many ceremonial clips are still out there and we can't find them because of things like that...

Wonderful -- that clip makes my old German football heart beat faster of course. ;) How did you find that clip, with all those Chinese letters in the description and the tags? I don't want to know how many ceremonial clips are still out there and we can't find them because of things like that...

I just used an online translator (Google Translate, for example) to find it. Try it someday :P

I was hoping to see how formally dressed all of the athletes were in Rome during the Parade of Nations, and even more so to see the old Canada flag. It would've been nice to see footage of the South Africans marching into Olympic Stadium since it was going to be the last one they would compete in before getting kicked out of the Olympic movement for its evil and racist policies until 1992. Didin't really expect sound in it.

In fact, I've never seen the Rome opening ceremony with sound (only apart from a short clip in a Torino 2006 promotional video where one could hear the then-president of Italy opening the Games). But maybe the sound isn't that important because it was one of the traditional, unspectacular ceremonies indeed.

What sound would you get for such footage? Applause. An announcer saying (in Italian): ...the athletes from Timbuktu are marching in.... The sound of doves' wings flapping. The screeching of a woman whom the doves shat upon! :)

Who cared about Rome's ceremony when they could just come outside the stadium and see the most spectacular scenario.

Um.. this isn't about ceremonies, but I found a good treat... (especially to Guardian who lives in Calgary)

It begins at 1:39, this clip is from the end of broadcasts on the CBC television station (CBWT) serving the Canadian provinces of Manitoba, Saskachewan and parts of Ontario.

Enjoy :)

P.S. Does anyone have the opening or closing ceremonies of Calgary as shown on that clip? I want to see it in its entirity!

(One of few Winter Games where there is a tiny Philippine contingent, alpine skier Raymond Ocampo is the only Filipino man in Calgary.)

Julius923 over at YouTube has made the full Parade of Nations of the 1996 Atlanta Centennial Summer Olympic Games uncut (and with commercials). Some nations are still omitted even in this either due to commerical breaks or simply that NBC didn't get to them prominently on camera. But it's something that I didn't see in full since then. I'll get to the list on my next post here plus some 1996 Atlanta pre-Opening Ceremony stuff from the CBC, like an interview with Andrew Young.

NBC really buthered the 1996 parade of nations, (especially from T-Z) which really upset me at the time because I really thought every nation should be acknowledged somehow. To others it may have not been a big deal because many think the parade just drags on and on. NBC, however, now does recognize every nation in some form during its OC coverage.

Unfortunately, the clips of the Atlanta OC with the Mexican broadcast were removed from Youtube many months ago.

NBC really buthered the 1996 parade of nations, (especially from T-Z) which really upset me at the time because I really thought every nation should be acknowledged somehow. To others it may have not been a big deal because many think the parade just drags on and on. NBC, however, now does recognize every nation in some form during its OC coverage.

Unfortunately, the clips of the Atlanta OC with the Mexican broadcast were removed from Youtube many months ago.

I meant to say they butchered it, not buthered it.

what's with this being upset about cuts in the Parade of Nations? I say cut the whole damn thing... and it would be better Ceremonies. Less is more. You've seen it once; you've seen dem all.