Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I was just going to do a quick browse through this topic and wound up spending 45 minutes to an hour in it. This is some great stuff. Thanks to all who contributed.

yea you tube is fantastic. I am even to download the videos off you tube onto my hard drive which is brilliant.

Hey, I've never been able to do that! Is there a secret to it?

umm no secret you have to download a flv viewer and have firefox downloaded

try these websites

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

try that and if you have any problems pm me

Some rare jewels i found today: Mexico 86 WC Opening

Mexican president & Joao Havelange are booed by almost everyone (well, that mexican president wasn't the best thing after all :lol:), saying: ''paloma Cordero, tu esposo es un culero!'' hahaha, the same history was repeated at Mexico 75 PanAm Games ceremony, this time because of the pro-USA policies of the mexican president of that time (they cheered Cuba during the parade of athletes :o )

Now, something really good. This was prior to the Infinity segment of Sydney 2000 opening ceremony, when Adam Garcia with a hundred performers did a massive tap dance, representing the building of a new Australia (a freakin' similarity with the drum performers at Doha 2006 opening, well, remember it was the same team from 2000 olympics :lol: )

I am surprised that someone here hasn't put the news regarding YouTube and this topic yet. If you haven't heard it yet, then here it is. Don't take my word here just yet, but I heard that if you upload any of your clips to the popular website, you may be eligible to receive some of the revenues YouTube gets annually. However, specific details are sketchy and the business news I heard said that your potential share of those revenues may depend on how many times your uploaded YouTube clips have been viewed.

Two new interesting clips:

Excerpts from the opening ceremony of Mexico City 1968 (and great clips of highlights of those Games):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aodCkVOzj8g

And the same for the closing ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m84adPDnHY

Additionally, YouTube now has many new clips from Torino 2006. Search for "Olympic Ceremony" and click "Sort by date added" on the left side. Then you'll see those clips on the first page.

• 1 month later...

Here, the missed parts of Barcelona parade

Barcelona 92 Parade of Athletes - Part 4

Barcelona 92 Parade of Athletes - Part 5

And now, more videos to the collection :P

A fan video of all the Montreal 1976 games, scenes of the Opening & Closing ceremonies (does somebody have them?)

Sydney 2000 Closing - My Island Home (Live - High Quality) - Christine Anu -

Placido Domingo - Hymn of Nations Olympic Games LA' 84 (scenes from opening & closing ceremonies)

Tokyo 1964 Parade of Athletes (NOTE: This video only works in Internet Explorer, in Firefox it will not play)

Lets Get Together Now (Official theme of Korea Japan 2002 World Cup, performed before the opening match)

Now, a really rare jewel. Performances before the Euro '96 Final Match at the Old Wembley, a chorus performing the Les Miserables song ''Do you hear the People Sing''

Any idea where we can find the Opening Ceremony for the 1997 IAAF World Championship in Athens?

Here are 2 videos from youtube

Vangelis and Montserrat Caballe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxmEv8bRzM

A very small clip from the artistic part.

Awesome. Thanks.

This is one of the best Opening Ceremony ever!

Three new clips from the Seoul 1988 closing ceremony:

First segment of the ceremony (Friendship)

Parting Ships segment

Handover ceremony between Seoul and Barcelona

I only had time to watch the handover ceremony so far -- but I think it's very interesting that back then, they still had performers of the old and the new host city combined during that segment. Remember, Seoul's handover to Barcelona was the first handover ceremony conducted at the closing instead of the opening ceremony. But in terms of using performers of both cities, they still kept the tradition of previous handover ceremonies.

Additionally, I think that those long pauses between the seperate parts of the handover segment are quite funny.

Wait a minute. Wasn't it LA 1984 which conducted the first handover at the closing ceremony? I'm a little bit confused now.

Well, the flag handover is prescribed by the IOC Charter, so I guess it's always been there post-World War II -- or ever since they have picked the succeeding host at least 5 years before the current Games.

However, the staged Ceremonial/Artistic portion -- with the hoopla, performers, pizzaz, etc., -- put on by the incoming host, indeed (I think) started with LA/1984, when they had the Korean National Dance Troupe (or something) get a segue from the Dance Theatre Company of Harlem (dancing to Souza's "Stars and Stripes"); and then 2 sets of children from the 2 host cities, exchanging gifts, kisses and phone numbers. :D (And said practice is now de rigeur as well with the WOGs, Paralympics and the CWGs as well.)

Wait a minute. Wasn't it LA 1984 which conducted the first handover at the closing ceremony? I'm a little bit confused now.

Well, the Olympic Charter was changed between the Moscow and the LA Games.

Therefore, LA had the last handover during the Opening Ceremony (where it received the "Drapeau d'Anvers" from the IOC) and also staged the first handover at the Closing Ceremony (the flag was handed over to Seoul during the LA 84 Closing Ceremony). The Olympic Flag only stayed in LA for the duration of the Games.

Well, the Olympic Charter was changed between the Moscow and the LA Games.

Therefore, LA had the last handover during the Opening Ceremony (where it received the "Drapeau d'Anvers" from the IOC) and also staged the first handover at the Closing Ceremony (the flag was handed over to Seoul during the LA 84 Closing Ceremony). The Olympic Flag only stayed in LA for the duration of the Games.

You're correct. I'm confusing the previous handovers with the video bits prepared by the US network televising the show. Yeah, at the Closing in Montreal, the TV picture moved to some dancers in Red Square when they had the "See ya in Moskva in 4 Years" (or however it was said back then) segment.

Archived