Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

After the outstanding show they put on, i wonder if Sochi 2014 organizing comittee is considering them as potential people for their ceremonies...

I would think they might be the leading candidates for Sochi. Did they also do the Sochi Handover in Vancouver?

But since the Sochi contracts are very political, I think whomever has the most influence with Putin and his gang/associates who are pulling the strings of Sochi, will probably get the Sochi Ceremonies contract.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooooooooooooooooooooo! That's a cool effect...but the audio is TERRIBLE!!! But that cannot be done in Sochi...not unless they build a temporary roof over that open arena.

Actually it could, assuming they want those cloth rings with projections on them, then you build a temporary "roof" and suspend such rings. One of which would be collapsible like shown here for the countdown, the others used in the actual artistic parts of the ceremony.

Then perhaps sometime during the ceremony, could be prior or post parade of nations, the whole "roof" collapses (which would be made of a breakable material that would break on cue and have little soft pieces falling from the "sky" like little snowflakes) This would allow for a visible aerobatic flyby, visible outside fireworks, and a flame that can burn freely in the open air.

Actually it could, assuming they want those cloth rings with projections on them, then you build a temporary "roof" and suspend such rings. One of which would be collapsible like shown here for the countdown, the others used in the actual artistic parts of the ceremony.

Then perhaps sometime during the ceremony, could be prior or post parade of nations, the whole "roof" collapses (which would be made of a breakable material that would break on cue and have little soft pieces falling from the "sky" like little snowflakes) This would allow for a visible aerobatic flyby, visible outside fireworks, and a flame that can burn freely in the open air.

It could be done easily if they install a roof structure a la Athens or Beijing. Now, it will be a bit harder to hide elements on the roof like Astana did.

The ones who did the ''skirt'' things first werent Vancouver, but the chinese, at the OC of the last National Games, which showns you dont need a covered stadium to do the trick

20100507230740247.jpg

yes, Ik....but that floating 'hat' of Jinan 2009 is good only for projections since it's lightweight. If we are using the Astana OC as a reference point, then I mean by requiring a roof, would be for heavier, more MAJOR stunts coming from the 'roof' so to speak. I know Sochi could employ the Athens/Beijing style and just have a ton of cables suspending whatever aerial riggings are necessary for aerial stunts. What I am thinking of is something more substantial for Sochi. Don't even mention Delhi 2010's Aerostat. Or maybe "Aeroflot" would put their name to a similar thing for Sochi?? :lol:

Hey, since this thread is now OVER 100 pages long -- making it very hard to go back to past pages -- let's close this and start ANOTHER one.

So from hereon, please go to Ceremonies on YouTube, Part 2.

• 3 months later...

Vancouver was "good", but there could have been so much more (even in spite of the cauldron malfunction).

Some elements I would have liked to have seen would be:

The use of moving floats. Assuming it was possible to fit say, a 1 story float through the Olympic rings where they had the marches past and go forward at a slow pace exiting the other end of the stadium, it would have been nice to have seen a float showcasing each of the 10 Provinces and 3 Territories. Each Provincial/Territorial float would have been specifically designed by firms and representatives from each locale, and been showcased in each Provincial/Territorial house (wherever it was located in Vancouver) for the duration of the Games.

The closing ceremony could have used the same idea, having the 3 renowned actors, William Shatner, Catherine O'Hara and Micheal J. Fox, on floats respective of what they were famous for. William Shatner could have done his speech on a float donned by the USS Enterprise for example, Catherine could have had elements from her films and TV work as could have Micheal J. Fox (why not a couple of more faved Canadian celebrities? It would have been nice to have seen Alex Trebek do a parody of what he's famous for, Jeopardy!).

Torino was generic "Italian" (with that futurism feel in it too), as in it could have been more about the region than mere car and motorbike manufacturing, but I guess foreign audiences would have been quizzical if they showed the real Torino region.

• 2 years later...

Archived