Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the increasingly strict video policy of the IOC, the great people of VANOC have uploaded the complete 2010 Olympic opening ceremony to their YouTube account:

The complete Vancouver 2010 Olympic opening ceremony

Thumbs up, VANOC and Vancouver! This only proves once more that you were terrific hosts.

Haha, the IOC has blocked that video to U.S. YouTube users due to copyright. I guess it's because NBC has the rights to the broadcast in the U.S., and that is the CTV coverage.

^

but it's not CTV coverage, it is the direct feed from OBS

Regardless. The images are those paid for by NBC.

But here's the thing: what are the IOC and NBC going to do with those clips? I mean they are meant to be enjoyed by anybody who gets a kick from them. So, this was the legacy of Juan Antonio Samaranch?? :blink:

I beg to differ, Atlanta's ceremonies were fun, lively and you knew what was going on and what each segment was about. Im sure those in the audience were very entertained as well as those at home. Its easy to say today that they were not good, but then they didnt have the technologies that we see in ceremonies today. I find some today can be boring, parts of Beijings ceremony, although visually stunning were long and to be honest quite boring. I say bring back the fun and audience participation.

(Ikarus), here's clip #15 of the Roma'09 FINA Worlds Ceremonia di Apertura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOaCOwrDcJw&annotation_id=annotation_959677&feature=iv

Quite impressive. Maybe you can assemble the whole series?

All the clips are in YT, yup, i can assemble them although it will take some time :P

Btw i believe this ceremonies were made by the same guys behind the Torino 2006 paralympic one.

• 2 weeks later...

/\ Thanks for posting that, olympics08. Indeed an interesting find.

It's just like Moscow'80 redux...only "happier, more joyous! Oh, look at the happy, content citizens of the Soviet Union (the early Gorbachev years)...smiling, fully enrapt, oh, and TWO black faces... :D" Just typical Soviet propaganda BS.

I think that was before Camcorders were readily available and affordable...which is why there isn't too much footage floating around.

Oh they were readily available and affordable. You either got a full size VHS or VHS-C camcorder, or at that time, the hot technology in camcorders was 8mm video, and Hi-8.

Oh they were readily available and affordable. You either got a full size VHS or VHS-C camcorder, or at that time, the hot technology in camcorders was 8mm video, and Hi-8.

Affordable is a subjective concept. And that doesn't mean the people who went to these events then (in 1990) had hundreds of them...unlike to day when every child and grandmother has a camera/cellphone.

I could've afforded a VCR in the mid-80s but didn't want. I always wait a few years before these Jap companies come up with something new. Just because they say it's the lastest tech, buy it...I DON'T.

I could've afforded a VCR in the mid-80s but didn't want. I always wait a few years before these Jap companies come up with something new. Just because they say it's the lastest tech, buy it...I DON'T.

Very wise. It's an old gospel rule of us tech writers - never buy Version 1.0 of ANYTHING (but if you can get it as a freebie, great!).

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the WC is approaching near, i'll bring you the dreadful opening ceremony of USA'94

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

PD: The tournament started the same way it ended...with a missing penalty :lol: Talking about irony

Now that the WC is approaching near, i'll bring you the dreadful opening ceremony of USA'94

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

PD: The tournament started the same way it ended...with a missing penalty :lol: Talking about irony

Ha - ha - ha!!

The missing penalty was consistency!!

Still it was the MOST HIGHLY ATTENDED WOrld Cup until now -- with 3.6 MILLION paid admissions...making an est. 94% attendance.

Let's see 2010 or 2014 beat that!! :P

Part 4:

Part 5:

Was watching these 2 clips which show vignettes of folk dances of the particpating 24 countries...and it's interesting to note that the European-So. American (OK, Christian societies) mostly show couples dancing whereas the non-Christian countries (the African, Arab nations, Korea AND the U.S.) feature group, line or individual dancing.

How telling is that of the various cultures?

P.S. Apparently WC 2010 will only sell some 2.9 million tickets = RSA's official capacity. So NO MATTER what anybody says, USA-1994 still stands as the MOST HIGHLY ATTENDED WORLD CUP EVER with only 24 teams and 54 matches at that!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! For everyone who misses the SLC 2002 ceremonies, rememberingSL2002 in Youtube is uploading once again the Opening Ceremony :) Check out his account: http://www.youtube.com/user/rememberingSL2002

So far he has published three parts of the OC

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtwyLPyeXME

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91nV-xYjuDI

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7YRGOl1wQ

Also, he has more video memories of the games on his account, be sure to watch them!

Archived