Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

Hey, Julie Anthony's version of the Australian national anthem at the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony is kinda identical (but slower) to another version also by Julie Anthony. Notice the similarities (especially the end):

Sydney - September 15, 2000

(This was later used on the ABC network in Australia when it ceased broadcasts every night until then went 24/7.)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, Julie Anthony's version of the Australian national anthem at the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony is kinda identical (but slower) to another version also by Julie Anthony. Notice the similarities (especially the end):

Sydney - September 15, 2000

(This was later used on the ABC network in Australia when it ceased broadcasts every night until then went 24/7.)

I haven't looked at the clips, but wouldn't surprise me if they were similar - Julie's main claim to fame is as a singer of the anthem. She's sort of our unofficial/official anthem presenter (well, she was. I haven't heard from her for a while ... perhaps even since the Games. Maybe she's retired now). I even went to a formal function once where she was the after-dinner entertainment. And you guessed it, she wasn't allowed off the stage till she sang the anthem.

• 4 weeks later...

A. Last night I scrolled back to the beginning of this thread and was amazed that about 80% of the clips previously posted have all been removed.

B. Finally rewatched my tape of the Athens '04 Opening just now and discovered the ff:

1. I fell asleep for about 20 mins. So I had to rewind

2. When the Olympic Hymn/Anthem(?) was begin sung, it was deep, adult voices but the faces they were showing on camera were the kids' faces. :blink: Why?

3. The them was "the sea" but all the modern-day Greeks who participated in the Ceremony either wore all-white or the khaki and tan colors (which were OK, too) -- but what happened to the blue Aegean sea?

4. Just noticed that the reefer/torch had a counterweight to it. And that whole contraption of the rising stairs, the flipping jumbotron, the bowing reefer must've cost a pretty penny. I'd guess that whole thing (+ the actual cost of the reefer/cauldron) was probably over $1 million bucks (maybe $1.2 mil) considering the staircase in LA cost $35,000; the McDonal's fried cauldron of Atlanta was about $500,000 -- and then Beijing's scroll cauldron cost $1.5 million; so Athens' $1.2 mil falls right in place.

Again, a reviewing 5 years later confirms that it was a joyless ceremony. Everyone in the Clepsydra was all so serious and solemn. Only Gianna and the little boy in the boat were all smiles.

Oh, and the fireworks were all white and gold. None of the other usual colours.

• 2 weeks later...

Some videos from the Barcelona ceremonies:

A video of the popular 'Mar Mediterraní' segment in HQ brought by La Fura dels Baus, the group that staged it:

The traditional Catalan castellers (human towers) at the opening ceremony, with German commentary

A parody of walking races by the theatre group Tricicle at the closing ceremony:

Ok guys i'm back (with a new account), i have reuploaded the Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremonies! You can watch all the vids right here on this playlist (sadly i dont have the parade of nations)

Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremony

Now, some other vids i found on YT:

A rare jewel:

Fireworks at the 2009 World Games Opening Ceremony in Kaohsiung, Taiwan

World Cup France 1998 - Closing ceremony - Yves Saint Laurent fashion show (Part 1)

World Cup France 1998 - Closing ceremony - Yves Saint Laurent fashion show (Part 2)

My old pal Christos has started to reupload some of his olympic vids at his new account in YT

(this opening is also remembered for the booes against Samaranch for reasons we all know :lol: ...) Also,

I started the Reupload of Barcelona 1992 opening ceremony, but since most of you already watched it i'll just post the Parade of Nations here (since it wasnt complete on YT when i came back)

Only two parts to upload, i'll post them here soon, for the moment, i leave other rare jewels (most of them, more Goodwill Games stuff :lol: )

Here's a rare one...the Lillehammer handover portion in Albertville...one of the best ever.

Link sent to me by the lady choreographer who conceived that sequence...and who posted the clip.

Awesome find baron! D: I've been looking for that handover clip for centuries (btw someone should upload the Albertville closing ceremony soon at YT...)

Sissel has such a nice and powerful voice :P

Ikarus, can you post anything on the Lake Placid 1980 Opening?

Sadly i dont have anything of Lake Placid, but you can find a vid of the opening at the IOC website (they made new ones the last year because of the Beijing olympics xD)

Very well, someone on Youtube has uploaded the opening ceremony of the 1997 IAAF World Cup in Athletics (this was just WEEKS before they were awarded with the 2004 olympic host). Those ceremonies were completly under Vangelis direction, as he took it to a very artistic way. i recommend everyone to watch it:

Some people criticizes that Vangelis wasnt featured at the olympics ceremonies, but anyway :lol: ...

Another video, this time of

(not as good as 1997 but still has its wow factor XD)

Very well, someone on Youtube has uploaded the opening ceremony of the 1997 IAAF World Cup in Athletics (this was just WEEKS before they were awarded with the 2004 olympic host). Those ceremonies were completly under Vangelis direction, as he took it to a very artistic way. i recommend everyone to watch it:

Some people criticizes that Vangelis wasnt featured at the olympics ceremonies, but anyway :lol: ...

Another video, this time of

(not as good as 1997 but still has its wow factor XD)

Muchas gracias, Ikaru!! Actually, it was about a month before the vote.

Funny, and then Vangelis was snubbed for the actual Games.

Beggining of the 1984 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony in Los Angeles

I know this one was posted before (altough the original has been deleted) but this one contains the very start of the opening ceremony, with the final countdown and the Olympic Fanfare by John Williams (then, the Welcome segment featuring the famous ''Rocket Man'' )

And now the 2009 Maccabiah Games' Opening

It's strictly amateur...but some interesting shots. I think it's a series of 10. A very high energy Opening!!

Did you guys know that the Maccabiah Games attract some 7700 athletes, started in 1932, and is now on its 18th edition -- just celebrated late July in Israel?

I forget now...does anybody how to download these YouTube videos and/or capture them on a disc?

Or if you have the latest Real Player installed, there should pop up a small window above the video which contains a download link. Works with Internet Explorer as well as with Firefox.

Archived