Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

Thank you very much for your efforts, Guardian. I suppose that that was an enormous task.

Another nice fellow just uploaded the complete Calgary 1988 opening ceremony, as it was broadcast by ABC:

YouTube playlist for the Calgary 1988 opening ceremony

Some may say that Calgary's OC was rather tacky, for example with that global "Can You Feel It" choir or the big "human pictures" of hockey players or ski jumpers (hello Torino, you copy cats...). But if you view it from a 1988 perspective, it probably was really innovative and impressive for that time. And even if leaving that "time shift" aside, I would say that Calgary did a good job, since it was a very joyous and somehow down-to-earth ceremony. I hope that after the rather philosophical (Athens 2004), technically-bombastic (Beijing 2008) or random (Torino 2006) ceremonial concepts of the most recent Olympics, Vancouver will stage a real feel-good ceremony again.

By the way: What I find very impressive -- even if viewed from a 2009 perspective -- is that big teepee structure they put up around the cauldron in Calgary. I think that it was a great backdrop for that huge flame. Too bad that, according to the official report (see here on page 186), the structure had to be lowered already during the ceremony because one of the guy cables of a scaffolding tower failed.

Thanks. It was not easy to do so, considering that a couple of my video links are gone, due to some people that do not want their work uploaded in YouTube to begin with.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any chance we may see the French language version of the opening ceremonies from SRC if someone, if not Guardian, recorded that?

I haven't seen the ABC broadcast of the Calgary 1988 opening ceremonies since it was broadcast! I watched it when it already in progress after coming back home from shopping with my Grandma and Mom! :)

I hate to snatch the laurel wreath away from Guardian -- but frankly, it was another guy who uploaded the Calgary opening ceremony.

That's alright. I don't put up commercials with my clips and I never had the chance to record Calgary 1988 in the first place. My house did not have even had a VCR then. In fact, he contacted me to get his video clips seen by more people via my YouTube page.

I hate to snatch the laurel wreath away from Guardian -- but frankly, it was another guy who uploaded the Calgary opening ceremony.

Regardless, it was good of whomever did it to share.

Ideally, I would think all the ceremonies at least as far back as LA should be on the 'Tube by now, but I imagine there are rights issues, no?

I think the reason is simply that no one has the missing ceremonies on tape and thus cannot share them.

Bit surprising with Seoul, but not shocking with LA. Although, I must confess I did have the ceremonies from both on tape, but both have been lost to the sands of time and my mom's love of soap operas.

My uncle's Betamaxs for LA's OC and CC may still survive though, I'm trying to find out. I'll keep you all posted on that hunt and if successful... maybe, just maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

A user on YouTube has obviously filmed the whole opening ceremony in Beijing as a spectator in the Bird's Nest. He's currently uploading part after part:

That user's YouTube videos

I think that these videos are very interesting so far -- since they prove, in my opinion, that Beijing's OC was mostly made for television. If I had seen the ceremony as spectator in the stadium, I would have probably had difficulties to understand it completely or get excited about it. Take, for example, the "footstep fireworks" segment (from 5:48 till the end of

and at the beginning of
). It probably hadn't that much of an impact on the stadium audience since they only saw it on the relatively small video screens. And the poor guy who filmed those YouTube clips sat so high in the stadium that he couldn't even see the real footstep fireworks above the stadium.

And the poor guy who filmed those YouTube clips sat so high in the stadium that he couldn't even see the real footstep fireworks above the stadium.

Thanks, F. But those being 'left out' of the fireworks show we knew from the beginning was going to happen. Really ironic that it happened in the land where fireworks were born.

That's an interesting view from opposite the Tribune of Honor POV -- the traditional angle of the telecasts.

Some more:

-Videos of the ceremony from inside the stadium. The angle is much, much lower than the videos posted above:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=beauty...amp;view=videos

-----------------

-Cauldron lighting from inside the stadium:

-----------------

- Cauldron lighting seen from the pov of American athlete Cheryl Haworth down on the stadium floor:

-----------------

-Cauldron lighting and fireworks finale seen from outside the stadium, in front of the National Indoor Stadium:

-----------------

-Starting at 0:34, snippets of the ceremony from the first rows of the stadium's bottom tier:

I think that these videos are very interesting so far -- since they prove, in my opinion, that Beijing's OC was mostly made for television. If I had seen the ceremony as spectator in the stadium, I would have probably had difficulties to understand it completely or get excited about it.

It's always the case... I was at the Opening inside the stadium at Athens 2004 and Torino 2006, and I did not enjoy it. When i watched them on DVD, I discover something else...

Ceremonies are mostly made for TV! When you are in the stadium you enjoy a global view but you did not see the details.... or you staid all the time focussed on the giant Video screens....

In addition to the ceremonies choregraphy, when you watch them on TV you have the cameras choregraphy.... and that improve the looks of the ceremony !

It's always the case... I was at the Opening inside the stadium at Athens 2004 and Torino 2006, and I did not enjoy it. When i watched them on DVD, I discover something else...

Ceremonies are mostly made for TV! When you are in the stadium you enjoy a global view but you did not see the details.... or you staid all the time focussed on the giant Video screens....

In addition to the ceremonies choregraphy, when you watch them on TV you have the cameras choregraphy.... and that improve the looks of the ceremony !

My sentiments exactly! This is one major reason why I really can't see myself attending an Opening or Closing Ceremony at the stadium, even if I was wealthy. I actually like how a television network like NBC with its multiple cameras to get intimate angles, reactions, and details. Without the commentators, I would be always be able to recognize the allegorical aspects in the presentations. Only things I could get inside the stadium, as cfm Jeremie says, would be the feel and the global view (like memorabilia points out); I would definitely feel the emotion of the home team marching in and that of the 2008 Fou drummers at the welcoming on their LED-embedded drums counting down the start. Nice to see soem of the pre-Opening Ceremony footage like from the PLA's marching band moments before the start. Jumbotrons won't do the events justice.

Additional thought: As many would suspect the Opening Ceremonies are seen by many Olympic fans (if not some) as the apex in their Olympic enjoyment and ends their anticipation. After that for some, the enjoyment goes downhill but not by much once the sports kick off: some events depending on the nation, with the exception of the marquee events, get greater viewership than others. Some TV viewers are just there for the ceremonies that are on the main network.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Freshly caught from the YouTube ponds:

Three video clips of the "Olympic All-American Marching Band" at the opening and closing ceremonies of Los Angeles 1984.

Actually I like the choreography of the marching band in clip 1 better than the one of the marching band in Sydney's opening ceremony:

Sydney 2000 OC - The Sydney 2000 Olympic Band (Part 1)

Sydney 2000 OC - The Sydney 2000 Olympic Band (Part 2)

And it must have been very flattering for Ronald Reagan (especially during his campaign for re-election) that they cut to him when the marching band displayed the map of the United States. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching Guardian's uploading of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics Opening Ceremony on Tuesday and Wednesday finally in full, and I spotted something that was, now in retrospect, criminally omitted, from NBC's telecast. You would think with all of the pagentry that preceeded it in the Traditions of the South segment, that was that. But no! There was the Hallelujah finale with that dazzling trumpeter James Thompson stealing the show..and he wasn't credited by the Olympic graphics unlike the gospel composer! NBC went out to a commercial break, despite that the OC was aired live. So I'm very glad I saw him. Let that be a lesson to NBC when it airs the Vancouver OC live. A few other posters spotted the omission too. So thanks for recording that Guardian! :)

So I was watching Guardian's uploading of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics Opening Ceremony on Tuesday and Wednesday finally in full, and I spotted something that was, now in retrospect, criminally omitted, from NBC's telecast. You would think with all of the pagentry that preceeded it in the Traditions of the South segment, that was that. But no! There was the Hallelujah finale with that dazzling trumpeter James Thompson stealing the show..and he wasn't credited by the Olympic graphics unlike the gospel composer! NBC went out to a commercial break, despite that the OC was aired live. So I'm very glad I saw him. Let that be a lesson to NBC when it airs the Vancouver OC live. A few other posters spotted the omission too. So thanks for recording that Guardian! :)

Who is James Thompson? :blink: NEVER HEARD OF HIM before! So why should NBC showcase a nobody?

I mean if I haven't heard of him/her, that means he/she hasn't really made it.

And even during rehearsals for that OC, no big deal was ever made about any 'James Thompson.' We all knew Gladys Knight was going to sing; Celine and that scary woman, Jessye Norman -- but whodaheck was this 'James THompson'? Must've been a nobody at the time. I mean the big saxophonist at the time was a certain guy named Bill Clinton -- and he was up in the stands enjoying the show. So don't blame NBC. Your accusation is unwarranted.

Archived