Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy cow! I cannot believe I got that "yellow ribbon" under my YouTube username for being in the "top 100" for the day. That is all in thanks to that Beijing 2008 presentation at Athens 2004 clip. As of this post, I have 11 honors to it! :o I cannot fathom how many views took place there because the count is stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

A very rare find i did :o , an amateur record of the Closing Ceremony of the Montreal 1976 Olympic Games. One of the first olympic ceremonies to use mass performances (also you can see something of the awful moment when the naked demonstator entered the ground and started to dance in the middle of one of the olympic rings, poor girls T.T)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdMIXYhlqw

/\/\ Thanks, raven. Didn't realize how late at night they did that. I seem to remember it was much brighter when it happened.

Boy, wouldn't you have wanted to be the Cauldron flame-keeper and kept turning the flame off and on -- even after the Official Dousing? :lol::lol: I sure would've.

I wonder too if a very young Celine Dion was one of those hundreds of Montreal schoologirls who, exposed to the streaker, vowed: Someday, I will OWN these Closing Ceremonies and sing my heart out!! :wacko:

Another rare find: Placido Domingo performs the Olympic anthem at the Barcelona 1992 Closing Ceremony. Here you can hear the anthem on both Spanish and English (also you can hear a different english version, compared to the Atlanta and SLC ones)

The kids who carried the flag away, if i'm not wrong, were born the day Barcelona was chosen as the host of the olympics in 1985.

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJ_mhr6Il0

• 3 weeks later...

Oh. I didn't remember that it was here. Thansks Olympian2004 for reminding me.

I think you already saw the videos about the Bangkok 1998 OC. Here's what I have seen so far...

(Pre-show: Voulunteers Tribute)

(Pre-show: "Oh I Say", "Sweet Words", "Shawfagon" part 1)

(Pre-show finale: "Shawfagon" part 2, "Friendship Beyond Frontiers", countdown to the start of the OC itself and fireworks)

("The Dawn", United Asia" part 1)

("United Asia" part 2, "Muay Thai" (Thai martial art similar to kickboxing) "Saswadee Chai-Yo" part 1 (title means "Hello Chai-Yo"))

("Saswadee Chai-Yo" part 2, entrance of Royal Family)

("Phleng Samosen Phra Barami", Thai PM Chuan Leekpai's speech to the King, the King's initials, prelude to the parade of nations)

(Parade of nations: Cambodia-Japan (Thai alphabet))

(Parde of nations: Turkmenistan-Macau)

More of the parade of nations.

Malaysia

Myammar

Yemen

Lao People's Democratic Republic (Placard: Laos)

Lebanon

Vietnam

Sri Lanka (watch out for Tamil dancers!)

United Arab Emirates

Singapore

India

Indonesia

Islamic Republic of Iran (Placard: Iran)

Uzbekistan

Oman

This part begins with the last part of the parade of nations. The team from Hong Kong, China (first participation as such) entered the stadium, the last team to do so. Then comes the host nation - Thailand.

There's also a delgation made of technical officials from the 42 participating nations.

The flag of the OCA then entered the stadium by eight Thai athletes. Behind it was the flag with the logo of the 1st Asian Games (held in 1951 in New Delhi, India) and the Asian Sports torch. The two were taken to the dais before the royal box, and the President of the OCA, Sheikh Fahad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah, the Presidents of the National Olympic Committee of Thailand and that of the Bangkok organizing committee, and other high officials of the latter, were introduced.

This part begins with the mayor of Hirshima, Japan (1994 Asian Games host city) and the president of the Japanese Olympic Committee handing over the flag and torch to the Governor of Bangkok, Pirchit Rattakul.

The spech followed, first by the organizing committee president, Bhirchai Rattakul (maybe his brother), then OCA President Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah.

This part begins with HM The King Bhumibol Adulyadej declaring the 13th Asian Games open. After this the royal anthem was played once more, this time a wordless recording.

The Games' official fanfare then heralded the raising of the flag of the Olympic Council of Asia. The Hymn of the Olympic Council of Asia (Asian Games counterpart of the Olympic Hymn) was played for the first time ever in the Asian Games (the hymn was adopted as such in 1996).

The moment we've all been waiting for has arrived. The Sacred Flame of the Asian Games (similar to the Olympic Flame) entered the stadium in the hand of a Thai athlete who then passed the flame to Somrak Kamsing, Thailand's first ever Olympic gold medalist (featherweight boxing, Atlanta 1996). He went on to become a movie star, and even a singer.

Kamsing was then followed by the flagbearers of the 42 nations following him as the choir and orchestra performed the "Bangkok Asian Games March".

Then, here's what you may be thinking of. The lantern from "The Dawn" earlier reappeared. Kamsing approached it with the flags gathered behind him. He mounted the steps, and was then taken to a lift. Finally he lit the lantern.

The lantern was then hoisted itself. In midair it began to spew pyrotechnics. The pyrotechnics then gre stronger and brighter as the lantern reached the cauldron. With the pyrotechnics, the flame was finally transferred to the cauldron. It would be nonstop until the closing of the Games, where the flame was put out after a Thai poet performed a traditional Thai chant in the closing ceremony.

The clip ends with the first part of the athlete's oath.

This clip begins with the finishing of the athletes' oath, taken by Preeda Chultamonthol. The officials' oath was then followed by volleyball official Songsak Charoenpong.

After that, the flagbearers returned to their positions as the marshalls exit the stadium, followed by the athletes.

The artistic section, the second of two, then began. This was based on the Rayamana legend.

The first segment, entitled "The Gods Joyfully Granting Victory", was based on the part in the legend when Rama, the main character whose brother Bharata was the king of Ayodha, and an army of monkeys from Kishkinda fight in Lanka. They were fighting an army of demons led by their king Ravana for Rama's wife Sita.

The segment began with a dance by gods. Then a creature resembling Hanumaan, the minister of Sugriva, king of Kishkinda was hoisted.

From the four gates of the stadium came performers (dressed as Ravana's soldiers) holding sparklers. Then from the east gate (energingfrom laser light) came Rama and his army of monkeys.

The two armies then assembled to watch a fight between Rama and Ravana.

This segment continues in the next part...

This part begins with the entrance of boats from India to continue where we left off ("The Gods Joyfully Grant Victory"). The boats were followed by a dragon to symbolize the gods' blessing of prosperity.

A cage was slowly lowered, as performers gathered at the center of the stadium to catch white silk from the cage. The segment ended with performers forming a human temple with the dragon wrapped around them to represent Rama's victory, as Sita returns to him.

The next segment, 'The Spirit of Asia", then began with a projections of the sun, the moon and the stars, to symbolize the East (the sun) and West (the moon and the stars).

A red ball with a sun on it (representing east Asia, as this is the part of Asia with the earliest time zone, the GMT+9 time zone) then bounced to the spectators, then to the performers, before it reaches a swan, which now looks like a snail.

More of this segment in the next part as we reach the finale of the OC...

This continues the "Spirit of Asia' segment, the last part of the clip shows the last part of the segment.

This begins with where we left off, a yellow ball with a crescent and stars on it (to symbolize Islam, the main religion of almost all of the west Asian countries) to represent west Asia bounced in the same manner. Performers represent West Asia entered and switch places with the East Asian performers. Again the ball was taken to a swan, which now, again, looks like a snail. The music is "Alexandra" by HM the King (Bhumibol Adulyadej).

Next a blue ball representing South Central Asia bounced in the same manner. On it has a sun and the stars. Performers reoresenting the Indian Ocean entered the stadium and mixed with the two other groups. The ball was then placed on a swan, which now, once more, looks like a snail. The "snail" was positioned before the "snail" with the yellow ball. The mixed group of performers ran through the three "snails". The music is "I Think of You" , again by His Majesty the King.

Finally, a fourth "snail" entered. It has a white ball with a lantern on it to represent both Southeast Asia and host nation Thailand. The "snail" was followed by a group of performers and they ran to the center of the stadium. The four "snails" were then moved to the four corners of the field (clockwise from the top left: white, blue, red, yellow).

Finally, the performers that followed the last "snail" spread out to form a sun. The "snails" meet together at the center of the sun, which was meant to represent the 1998 Asian Games host city, Bangkok. This represented all of Asia gathering in Bangkok.

We are near the finale of the OC... enjoy this one, you'll find it spectacular!

Last musical piece played of this clip: "Magic Beam" by HM the King Bhumibol Adulyadej

This part,of the OC, the second to the last, begins with a dance representing the friendship and brotherhood of the Asian peoples. This segment is entitled "Songs of Friendship".

Eventually a platform is erected at the center of the stadium. Then, Tata Young, a renowned Thai singer, aged 18 at that time, sang the official song of the 13th Asian Games, "Reach For The Star".

"Reach For The Star" - Tata Young

1. From the day we're born in this wide world

We are born with missions to keep

There are calls from voices in despair

To love, to share to give

From the seas, the hills and the cities

Smiling faces, the best of the best

Listen to the calls, here we are standing tall

To love, to share, to give

R: Reach for the star

Fly high as we can

Brave the wind, move the mountain

We can do it, yes we can

Reach for the star

Ride the clouds and the rainbow

Dreams to borrow

Dreams to inspire

2. From the seas, the hills and the cities

Marching in together with pride

There's more to the game, it's victory unclaimed

For someone who dares to try

(Repeat refrain)

B: We finally found no matter win or lose,

Silver, gold, or bronze or not at all

The joy we share will always linger in our hearts

Let's make a vow, before we start

(Repeat refrain 2x)

Reach for the star (2x)

We're Asian friends

Reach for the star

She is still a singer today, becoming an Asian surperstar. Other songs by Tata Young:

Sexy, Naughty, Bitchy

A grand fireworks display then took place. Very spectacular! Compare it to the most recent of Olympic Games editions!

The next clip is the last of the Bangkok 1998 OC.

The last clip.

First, Tata Young was shown greeting the 65,000 crowd at the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok, where the ceremonies, as well as the football finals, took place.

Then, as the royal family exits the stadium, the royal anthem is played (same recording as the one after the opening declaration by the King). This concludes the Bangkok 1998 Asian Games opening ceremony

The rest of the clip involves a recap of the OC and the farewell from the Thai-speaking commentators. Again, I'm telling you that this, that's why the commentary is in Thai, is from the host nation's broadcast of the OC.

Then a real treat - the TV opening/closing (world feed, like the BOB in Beijing 2008) sequence for the Bangkok 1998 Asian Games. After that, that's it.

Note: I think this is from a simulcast of the OC, hence the feed is from NBT Channel 11 and the footage was from BBTV Channel 7, for the backdrop of (Perhaps all channels that make up the Thailand TV Pool would simulcast an Olympics or Olympic-like OC or CC such as this one.)

• 5 weeks later...

Rare find! A song written for Beijing's key to host the 2008 Olympics - the Beijing 1990 Asian Games.

The official song of the Beijing 1990 Asian Games - "Asian Mighty Winds"

Listen

Download

Lyrics (with pinyin):

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲shān山shì是gāo’áng高昂de的tóu头

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲hé河xiàng象rè热xuèliú血流

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲shù树dōu都gēn根lián连gēn根

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲yún云yě也shǒu手wòshǒu握手

Mǎng莽yuán原chán缠yù玉dài带tiányě田野zhī织cǎi彩chóu绸

Yàzhōu亚洲fēng风zhà乍qǐ起Yàzhōu亚洲xióng雄fēng风zhèn震tiān天hǒu吼

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲Jiāngshān江山duō多jùn俊xiù秀

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲wùchǎn物产yě也fùyǒu富有

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲rénmín人民zuì最qínláo勤劳

Wǒmen我们Yàzhōu亚洲jìn靳gèng更fēngliú风流

Sì四hǎi海huì会bīnkè宾客wǔ五zhōu洲jiāo交péngyou朋友

Yàzhōu亚洲fēng风sì四qǐ起Yàzhōu亚洲xióng雄fēng风zhèn震tiān天hǒu吼

La啦Yàzhōu亚洲xióng雄fēng风zhèn震tiān天hǒu吼

La啦Yàzhōu亚洲xióng雄fēng风zhèn震tiān天hǒu吼

(Repeat)

Sung by Wei Wei and Liu Huan (who also sang "You And Me")

• 1 month later...

Archived