Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

This is not directly an opening cremony but Vangelis has writen one of the most famous compositions related to the Olympic Games. He also was the artistic director for the Athens '97 IAAF Opening Ceremony

He loves monumental and very archaic pictures. This ceremony was realy fantastic except the last part with

In 2001 live in Athens at the Temple of Zeus in the shadows of the Akropolis he gave a live concert "Mythodea", 8 years after he composed this oratorio.

It was used as music for the NASA Mission: 2001 Mars Odyssey.

Here the start and the end of the concert. You can see all 10 Movements on youTube

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have to ad that although his work is great i am glad that ATHOC did not choose him for the job. Vangelis was very mad about this because ATHOC gave him the impression of being the one for the job after he composed the handover for Sydney. But Daskalaki had other plans (thank god). She knew the last thing Greece needs is another ceremony of monumental hellenism.

I have another treat.

Song: "Light of Asia"

Oh, a good song to sing on New Year's Eve! Because it has Auld Lang Syne in the last part.

Enjoy :)

Interesting, O'08 (I really wish people here would pick more distinctive names than Olympics01, Olympics02, etc., etc.)

It's kinda plodding though and one wouldn't really appreciate those patterns in the dark unless you are seated higher up. But I can see this as a possible forerunner to a similar closing in Manchester 2002, and the Children of Light in Salt Lake. And I suppose that rather serene state of the performance and performers is in keeping with the serene temperament of the Thai people.

Thanks.

I should've said "Been there, saw that"

Anyway, I just noticed Guardian has put up more CBC's footage of the 2000 Sydney Opening Ceremony on YouTube. I do think ARD/ZDF and the BBC would show everything in its entirety without any interruption (ERT surely did for Athens)--like to hear theirs whenever an opportunity arises here. The images are, for the most part, redundant to me aside from the different directions here and there and unseen shots to many of us; I like hearing the CBC commentary on Guardian's clips.

OK, there were somethings I noticed upon watching the Sydney 2000 Marching Band while viewing the CBC coverage of the Opening Ceremony and thinking back to my copy of the Sydney Opening Ceremony DVD (this goes to what was discussing earlier in this topic watching the coverage taken from ET1 by Christos). Disc 1 of the Opening Ceremony, remember there two single sided discs in the set, ended with the band playing Ode To Joy with the red Driza-Bone wearing batoner at rest with the band to a rousing ovation. When Part Two starts, the marching band was very well back underway playing the classic Waltzing Mathilda following an aerial shot of Stadium Australia (and there was a brief shot of the Olympic Flame on CityBoat at Sydney Harbour making its way to Homebush). This was of course all from 7's telecast, but surely it didn't take a break for news at that point. The DVD ciompletely omitted the marching band playing Bugler's Dream and some crowd reaction, which is a shame. Thanks to watching the CBC's and ERT's showing we do get to see them playing that.

With the exception of NBC's tape-delayed take on it (more on them later), I never saw any Sydney athletes getting ready to march into Stadium Australia in the Parade of Nations (Brazil and naturally Canada) until I saw the CBC footage. It seems to me the CBC took footage of the Aussie athletes from the opposite side of them marching as opposed to what Seven did in some directions. It even took shots of notable Aussies up in the VIP section like Rupert Murdoch and John Newcombe, something 7 did not even do with them, except for, say, Greg Norman, John Howard, and former NSW Premier Bob Carr (though he was shown earlier in 7's broadcasting). No surprise that 7 would show some of the hometown athletes that opted not to march at the Olympic Village watching it all. The CBC showed the flame going through the streets of western Sydney I presume instead of the harbour and shots of Palauans waving the flag in the stands. Yeah, there's the shots of the Canadian athletes in the field like Hayley Wickenheiser and Anne Monmity, usually before and after the breaks.

I forgot that NBC completely omitted Tin Symphony and the James Morrison Swing Band. Again, it omitted a good chunk of the marching band as it was on a local newsbreak.

As we approach Beijing 2008, I would like to see Warner Vision Australia release an updated. deluxe edition of the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony on Blu-Ray that should mirror the original DVD with numerous extras exclusive to Blu-Ray and widescreen capabilities that will have the complete marching band segment (since it will all be in one disc) and the Prelude hosted by Chris Bath and may contain various audio commentaries, if it's not going to be multi-disc set. I'll discuss more on a separate post to my DVD wishlist.

I forgot that NBC completely omitted Tin Symphony and the James Morrison Swing Band. Again, it omitted a good chunk of the marching band as it was on a local newsbreak.

I don't think so, Durban. I remember seeing part of the Tin Symphony on NBC. What NoBodyCares totally omitted were the Garden and the Marching Band sequences, if memory serves me right.

I don't think so, Durban. I remember seeing part of the Tin Symphony on NBC. What NoBodyCares totally omitted were the Garden and the Marching Band sequences, if memory serves me right.

I stand corrected on that, now that memory serves me. I did tape the tape-delayed ceremony--I since lost it among other Sydney tapes. Wikipedia was wrong about the Tin Symphony.

One thing NBC DID omit on the Closing Cerermony was the extended fireworks run after the Sydney Harbour Bridge; 7 had the fireworks representing the five continents to the sounds of The Arrivals score, seemingly coing through the Sydney skyline or CBD. I hope someone will upload that again. Forgot to link it.

Actually, the 2000 Closing Ceremony's one thing I don't have a copy of, and would love to see again! Does anybody have a copy of it in on DVD?

I suppose that rockies77/Guardian will upload the closing ceremony at YouTube anyway. The opening ceremony is almost complete already.

Here's a real treat: The (almost) complete opening and closing ceremonies of Seoul 1988 without any commentary.

1988 Seoul Olympic Archive - Ceremonial Videos

You should open the link and the videos with the Internet Explorer. Firefox doesn't seem to work and I haven't tested any further browsers.

The opening ceremony videos don't contain the parade of athletes (besides the rest of Team Korea's march at the beginning of video #6). But the closing ceremony seems to be complete. You can even watch videos of the electronic board during the closing ceremony (videos #10 and 11) so that you can understand what the president of the Seoul Organising Committee says in his closing speech.

Additionally, the site contains tons of additional videos from the preparation and staging of the Seoul 1988 Olympics:

1988 Seoul Olympic Archive - Video Main Page

A little and curious thing i find out there. Go to the 1986 Asian Games vide section. There are four parts of the opening ceremony, but just the first two are from the actual Asiad opening, the other two are of Seoul 1988 opening, but as shown by NBC. And not just that, but at the time they went to cuts during the parade of nations, the commercials didn't appeared (i think this was taken from the NBC archives) and you can hear Bob Costas and company babbling behind the screens O.o, while you can see the parade without sound. Truly weird.

I have two things for you about the Sarajevo Winter Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3Bnwby0YI

The TV opening animation of the broadcast of the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo.

Don't mind the war scenes on the clips, just listen to these!

Clip 1

:33-4:22 Olympic Hymn in Serbo-Croatian, sung at the opening and closing ceremonies.

4:22-4:40 Olympic fanfare played at the opening and, I think, the closing ceremonies.

4:41-5:25 An extract of the parade of nations (OC) music, I think.

5:27-1:05 (Clip 2) One of the theme songs of the Sarajevo Games.

Sorryfor thegunfire at the last part of the Olympic Hymn, but this is about the Siege of Sarajevo which happened eight years after they hosted the Games. ALL of the venues were destroyed. How terrible!

I suppose that rockies77/Guardian will upload the closing ceremony at YouTube anyway. The opening ceremony is almost complete already.

And, there's the rub. I haven't mentioned this, but I have been warned about copyright issues there. Since there has been only THREE clips, (yes just THREE clips) from the Sydney 2000 closing ceremony, I need to tread carefully about uploading videos of it.

On another front there, the comments I got over there are starting to get more obscene and aimed at me. Give me a break! Here's one example I got, but you guys did not get to see it. How in the **** was Celine Dion an AMERICAN and A PERUVIAN on top of that?? I got that comment and was told by this "intelligent person" to "shut your cakehole" and "f*** your s***!" :angry: :angry: :angry: SHEESH!!! Where are these people coming from?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And, there's the rub. I haven't mentioned this, but I have been warned about copyright issues there. Since there has been only THREE clips, (yes just THREE clips) from the Sydney 2000 closing ceremony, I need to tread carefully about uploading videos of it.

I think starting with Sydney, the IOC has all of a sudden become very protective of all official Olympic images, especially the much sought-after Ceremonies.

I didn't realize a viewer can add his/her comments on Youtube.

I think starting with Sydney, the IOC has all of a sudden become very protective of all official Olympic images, especially the much sought-after Ceremonies.

I didn't realize a viewer can add his/her comments on Youtube.

Sure you can, Baron!

Anyway...

Exactly! It's no accident the IOC is doing such with the advent of DVDs and other next-gen media like the Internet. Ever since DVDs became a full-fledged medium to sell, buy, and distribute in 1997, there have been DVD titles for Sydney Salt Lake City, and Athens--still waiting for Torino's though. All the other past ones prior to Sydney never had any videos of the ceremonies for retail, so apparently they're fair game.

Great! :rolleyes: I am starting to have a lot of crap thrown at me because of my video uploads. I hope it wasn't any of you guys because I am not a happy person. Again, it has to do with Celine Dion. This time, she did not sing her own songs. She was doing the "Milli Vanilli" act and fooling millions of people of her singing talent for years. This guy is claiming that someone else is doing all the singing for her. :angry: Also, this guy is Brazilian who claims to be "a rising singing star" and "can detect singing fraud anytime." :P

Great! :rolleyes: I am starting to have a lot of crap thrown at me because of my video uploads. I hope it wasn't any of you guys because I am not a happy person. Again, it has to do with Celine Dion. This time, she did not sing her own songs. She was doing the "Milli Vanilli" act and fooling millions of people of her singing talent for years. This guy is claiming that someone else is doing all the singing for her. :angry: Also, this guy is Brazilian who claims to be "a rising singing star" and "can detect singing fraud anytime." :P

I wouldn't bother too much about it. The internet and especially YouTube is full of such people. And if he claims to be a singing star who can detect fraud anytime, one should rather pity him for his completely disturbed self-perception.

Once, I got a PM on YouTube from a user who had read one of my video clip comments. Without any reason, he tried to engage me in a discussion about an older female German singer he obviously was madly in love with. He wrote me lengthily what he adores about her, that a colleague of his looks pretty much like her and thus he was always trying to make approaches to that colleague... -- and so on. I tell you, that was pretty creepy. But I simply deleted his PM, and that was it. So it's better to not bother too much about such people.

Tell me about it, Olympian2004. First, he tells me it wasn't live. Second, David Foster was not even playing his piano in that clip. Third, that big choir wasn't even singing at all and so on and so on. Makes one wonder how in the world how people, like him, see the world. I bet he would go on and say that everything in the Atlanta 1996 opening/closing ceremony was fake from the start.

Something very interesting. A 3D video rendering of the Oceania segment at Athens 2004. As some of us knows, this segment had problems since the raising floor below Bjork didn't worked, but this is how the giant dress would have looked if it was completly unveiled above the athletes:

Also, more 3D renderings of the plans of the Athens 2004 opening:

Clepsydra presentation:

Archived