Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

Who were the commentators at the OC?

The first commentator in the clip is Heribert Faßbender, back then one of ARD's leading sports reporters. But he retired a few years ago -- if I recall correctly, his last major broadcast as commentator was the closing ceremony in Athens. And thank God he retired! He was pretty infamous in Germany for his mostly annoying and embarrassing comments, starting with his compulsive trademark greeting "Guten Abend allerseits" ("Good evening everyone") and continueing with statements like "And now the fans are screaming again, 'Türkiye, Türkiye'. Which means Turkey, Turkey." or "The current score is 1-1. But it could also have been the other way round." He sucked! :rolleyes:

I couldn't identify the second male commentator who can be heard shortly before the German team enters the stadium.

But the female commentator was Heide Ecker-Rosendahl (nee Rosendahl) who won two gold and one silver medal in athletics at the Munich 1972 Games.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way (since you seem to be interested in foreign Olympic broadcasts): Did you know that ARD and ZDF strictly take turns in broadcasting the Olympic ceremonies and also the opening and final matches of the major soccer tournaments?

That means: In 1972, it was ZDF's turn for broadcasting the Summer Olympic opening ceremony. In 1976, it was ARD's again. In 1980, ZDF's turn had to be skipped due to the boycott but then in 1984, it was ARD's again. And so on.

Or regarding the World Cup finals: In 1970, it was ZDF's turn, then ARD's in 1974, ZDF's in 1978 and so on. In 2006 it was ARD's so that ZDF will broadcast the final in 2010.

Maybe that's a very fair system, but I think it's ridiculous nevertheless.

QUICK UPDATE:

The Athens2004 HD version has just been uploaded.

Just search for the Athens 2004 HD and enjoy!

Its really nixce to watch the ceremonies from totally new angles. Noteworthy is the new angles of the "flaming arrow" and the cycladic head segments.

Just wish that succeeding ceremonies would be uploaded soon in this format

The first commentator in the clip is Heribert Faßbender, back then one of ARD's leading sports reporters. But he retired a few years ago -- if I recall correctly, his last major broadcast as commentator was the closing ceremony in Athens. And thank God he retired! He was pretty infamous in Germany for his mostly annoying and embarrassing comments, starting with his compulsive trademark greeting "Guten Abend allerseits" ("Good evening everyone") and continueing with statements like "And now the fans are screaming again, 'Türkiye, Türkiye'. Which means Turkey, Turkey." or "The current score is 1-1. But it could also have been the other way round." He sucked! :rolleyes:

What were his final words in Athens before signing off for the last time?

But the female commentator was Heide Ecker-Rosendahl (nee Rosendahl) who won two gold and one silver medal in athletics at the Munich 1972 Games.

Danny Ecker's mother!

Thanks blueview for the NBC HD version with multiple direction differences. In some ways I liked Al Trautwig's and Mary Carillo's call more than Costas and Couric. I feel, if the Athens DVD set were to be re-released as a multiDVD set, I'd like to see this version added on. Shame about the lack of Parade of Nations and Olympic protocol on what's offered. How were they shown (for those who seen the HD version). The only thing I've seen on YouTube from NBC HD Olympics was the men's 4x100 relay that South Africa won in--Dara Torres and Dan Hicks(?) called it.

What were his final words in Athens before signing off for the last time?

I don't know anymore, I would have to look it up. But Athens wasn't his final broadcast, so he probably said nothing special. Later on he still commented the World Team Cup in tennis (which takes place each May near my hometown, in Düsseldorf) on the regional ARD station WDR. So, as I said, the closing ceremony in Athens was only his last major broadcast as commentator.

Thanks blueview for the NBC HD version with multiple direction differences. In some ways I liked Al Trautwig's and Mary Carillo's call more than Costas and Couric. I feel, if the Athens DVD set were to be re-released as a multiDVD set, I'd like to see this version added on. Shame about the lack of Parade of Nations and Olympic protocol on what's offered. How were they shown (for those who seen the HD version). The only thing I've seen on YouTube from NBC HD Olympics was the men's 4x100 relay that South Africa won in--Dara Torres and Dan Hicks(?) called it.

The other commentator is a woman? To me it sounded rather like a man with a slightly womanlike voice. Poor girl.

But as I already said in the comments for the cauldron lighting clip, I think that the cauldron lighting looked pretty dull with that wide shot. And the most thrilling shot, from behind the cauldron as it rose above the athletes, is missing, too. On the other hand, the milky way/DNA segment looks great, especially when they show the shot of the whole stadium with all those sparkling starlights.

And I think that what Al Trautwig said was plainly embarrassing at times. He managed to botch the names of all six final torchbearers ("Mikos Gallis", "Domazos Dimitrios", "Patoulidou Paradaskevi", "Kakiasvili Akakios", "Melissanidis Ioannis", "Nikolas Kalamanakis"). And what was even more annoying: During that wonderfully calm and meaningful DNA segment, he thought it was clever and necessary to say, "That is pretty deep stuff but it's cool if you let yourself go". :angry: That was real Faßbender style -- but actually worse.

This is really cool to see parts of the ceremony from a different viewpoint. Some views were really nice but many detail views are missing that made this ceremony so fantastic. For example the transitions of the single parts were missing. Also in the part of Clepsydra the tension is missing as they dodnt show it from the start.. Also the projections on the marbles pieces didnt showed good which were very emotional...

As for the commentators: what can i say.. I suppose they prepared themeselves for this job? They say some really amazingly embarrassing things sometimes:

"I bet, that green thing is Poseidon" This is her description of the Charioteer of Delphi (Iniochos)!!!

"There, just a flat-stretch of dirt" This is his description of the Stadium in Ancient Olympia!!!

Thank you very much for this blueview

So this year is ARD's turn to telecast the Opening Ceremony. With the first two German national TV networks in existence, and of the fact there's a provision mandating the Olympics should be televised to the widest possible audience (at least the significant events like the ceremonies), it does seem fair to me.

As for Al Trautwig and Mary Carillo, the latter usually does tennis analysis for US TV be it on ESPN, CBS, and NBC (Olympics event) and is known for her quick wit and pointed humor, it was embarassing to hear Trautwig mispronounce the Greek athletes' names--it's Nick Gallis (and he was New Jersey-born and raised but turned into a Greek basketball legend). Some stuff from them was indeed cring-worthy and it would've been better at those times to just shut up and not state the obvious or act ignorant. There were some IDing that the regular counterparts did not do like the Olympia drummer that I like. Wish the start of the Clepsydra was shown up close on HD.

Perhaps the earlier stuff that was uploaded from the Opening Ceremony of the 2007 All-Africa Games in Algiers, Algeria is now gone, so here's the cultural stuff that followed the Parade of Nations and the formalities. Here's hoping they'll all return with other more Parade of Nations and the protocol.

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 1

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 2

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 3

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 4

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 5

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 6

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 7

All-Africa 2007 Cultural Performance 8

All-Africa Games 2007 Cultural Performance 9 (Algerian Anthem Finale)

Shame the official website is now gone because that was the most detailed of any All-Africa Games in recent years.

Hey guys new to the forums. Big soccer and airplane guy so the Olympics come natural. Quick question, does anyone have or know someone that has the SLC 2002 Opening spot for NBC. It has been since NBC went to the narration format (2000-present) the only one I have missed and not been able to see on the internet. If anyone is willing to post that'd be wonderful.

It's a pleasure, and by the way can't wait for 08' 10' and hopefully 2016 in Rio. (Ill be there for WC 2014).

This is really cool to see parts of the ceremony from a different viewpoint. Some views were really nice but many detail views are missing that made this ceremony so fantastic. For example the transitions of the single parts were missing. Also in the part of Clepsydra the tension is missing as they dodnt show it from the start.. Also the projections on the marbles pieces didnt showed good which were very emotional...

As for the commentators: what can i say.. I suppose they prepared themeselves for this job? They say some really amazingly embarrassing things sometimes:

"I bet, that green thing is Poseidon" This is her description of the Charioteer of Delphi (Iniochos)!!!

"There, just a flat-stretch of dirt" This is his description of the Stadium in Ancient Olympia!!!

Thank you very much for this blueview

Haha, despite what alot of other Kiwi's will say, I am glad that New Zealand has had pretty decent ceremonial commentators for the last few editions. Traditionally, Keith Quinn is always given the job, probably the most prominent New Zealand sports tv media journo. In recent times he has been teamed up with John MacBeth, who admitedly I can't stand.

Though the good thing that TVNZ always does, is getting in a local from the host nation - normally a member of the media, to provide expert comments. I guess stuff that you wouldnt have written down in the media script for the ceremonies.

In the case of Sydney 2000, they used Aussie Sports journo Greg Clark, probably helped by the fact that he used to work for TVNZ.

For Athens 2004, they had Julia Kofitsa.

Though the good thing that TVNZ always does, is getting in a local from the host nation - normally a member of the media, to provide expert comments. I guess stuff that you wouldnt have written down in the media script for the ceremonies.

In the case of Sydney 2000, they used Aussie Sports journo Greg Clark, probably helped by the fact that he used to work for TVNZ.

For Athens 2004, they had Julia Kofitsa.

ARD and ZDF do the same here in Germany.

ARD has at least a local for the pre- and post-ceremony chat: For Sydney 2000, they had German TV host Joachim Fuchsberger who lives in Australia since a couple of decades -- and for Salt Lake 2002 they had Katarina Witt who did ice revues back then in the USA.

ZDF has (at times) locals for the live comment of the ceremony. For Atlanta 1996 they had CNN's Bettina Luescher (originally from Germany, back then living and working in Atlanta) and for Athens 2004, they had the Greek journalist Dimitra Kousi. For Torino 2006 they had no locals at all.

I've uploaded a couple of new videos from 1984:

Rhapsody in Blue (with the 84 grand pianos)

Welcome (includes the dude with the jet pack)

Sorry for not uploading more videos sooner. To tell the truth, I've been busy and I don't really have the time to upload the entire ceremony. But if there are any particular suggestions, I could get around to uploading a couple sooner or later.

FIFA World Cup 1978 Opening Part 1

FIFA World Cup 1978 Opening Part 2

FIFA World Cup 1978 Opening Part 3

DrunkWithBode, thank you very much for these last videos, hope you have enough time in the future to post the rest ;)

By the way, something i heard from the African Cup of Nations which will start this sunday at Ghana. Famous south african choreographer Penny Jones (which worked at Atlanta 96, Sydney 2000, Torino 2006 and Doha 2006 Asian Games as member of the production team) will direct the opening ceremonies at Accra. They promised to make the best ever on the tournament history.

Welcome (includes the dude with the jet pack)

Sorry for not uploading more videos sooner. To tell the truth, I've been busy and I don't really have the time to upload the entire ceremony. But if there are any particular suggestions, I could get around to uploading a couple sooner or later.

Thanks a lot for both clips! But to be honest, I'd find it great if you could upload the entire ceremony. It really doesn't need to be all at once -- take your time.

And here are some more clips -- first two clips of the highlights of the Summer Olympic opening ceremonies since Moscow 1980:

I think that "Nacholympic" has done a fine job.

And here's rare footage -- a clip about Athens' preparations for the 2004 Olympics, following the "sirtaki principle". It was shown shortly before the countdown at the opening ceremony. It's great so see how self-mockingly ATHOC dealt with its construction delays:

Thanks Bode. B)

Putting my obvious bias to the side, I still view this Rhapsody In Blue Sequence as perhaps the greatest entertainment feature (not counting torch lightings) in any Opening Ceremonies ever. Keeping all those pianos out of sight during the ceremonies and then wheeling them in on lift trucks through those arches (which, btw are not that wide) in synch and then orchestrating 84 pianist in a song that is very hard to play, especially without sheet music (believe me - I've played it) still astounds me 24 years later. B)

If only they hadn't worn those powder blue tuxes that were so in style at the time . . . tragic.

I guess I can't say much. I wore that same tux to my prom in 1981. ;):blink::o

Aren't you glad Gershwin decided not to call it RHAPSODY IN CHARTREUSE or RHAPSODY IN HOT PINK? :o

LOL. O.K. I am a little dim sometimes. Thank you for pointing out the obvious

Besides, I shouldn't bitch. They matched the stadium!

So Baron - curious about your thoughts on this, the entrance of the athletes in 1996. I think it is phenomenal - one of the best. But I guess there was some controversy about it?

Athletes Entrance - Starts at 5:40

So Baron - curious about your thoughts on this, the entrance of the athletes in 1996. I think it is phenomenal - one of the best. But I guess there was some controversy about it?

It was impressive at first, AND different. But ultimately, as you watch it part -- I think unnecessary because the ramp was WAY TOO STEEP. If you look at other delegations where the ladies wore heels, it was torture for them and they looked so undignified trying to negotaite that steep bank. I'm surprised no one stumbled (and hence sued ACOG). Plus, I think by the time they got down to the ground, they were pretty winded. I would not have used it -- or at least a shorter and LESS steep ramp.

Archived