Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

what's with this being upset about cuts in the Parade of Nations? I say cut the whole damn thing... and it would be better Ceremonies. Less is more. You've seen it once; you've seen dem all.

We have discussed this many times.

The fact that YOU don't care about the Parade of Nations does not mean that some (most?) of us do not appreciate it.

I, for once, do feel it is a lack of respect for the athletes not to show the Parade of Nations.

If you don't like it, suck it up: go to the bathroom, move to another channel if you are home, bring a book if you are in the actual stadium and stop whining about it!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have discussed this many times.

The fact that YOU don't care about the Parade of Nations does not mean that some (most?) of us do not appreciate it.

I, for once, do feel it is a lack of respect for the athletes not to show the Parade of Nations.

If you don't like it, suck it up: go to the bathroom, move to another channel if you are home, bring a book if you are in the actual stadium and stop whining about it!

BULLSH*T! Well, yeah, if you like that tedious, boring kinda stuff. I don't and I have as much right to complain about it as you do.

The athletes? :blink: Yeah; I have absolutely no respect for those free-loading bits of scum. What have they actually done? Have they discovered a cure for cancer or poverty? Nope; they're nothing more than modern-day gladiators. Spoiled sons & daughters of b*tches. They're just good for serving the IOC's purposes.

BULLSH*T!

Would you care to elaborate on what part is bullsh*t?

The athletes? :blink: Yeah; I have absolutely no respect for those free-loading bits of scum. What have they actually done? Have they discovered a cure for cancer or poverty? Nope; they're nothing more than modern-day gladiators. Spoiled sons & daughters of b*tches. They're just good for serving the IOC's purposes.

Except that if it was not for the athletes there won't be Games in the first place and therefore not any of the precious ceremonies that you worship.

No kidding you have no respect for the athletes. You have never showed once respect for anything here except what comes out of your mouth.

You are entitled to your opinions as anyone else. You just don't have to be rude and disrespectful to express these opinions.

I remember when I was young and first discovering the Olympics. The Parade of Athletes and Nations was one of the items that really captured my imagination. It's a great ceremonial occasion, I do think it's important to the athletes, and is important to firing the enthusiasms of all the kids out there who will be future olympic fans and participants. Think of all those 6-10 year old kids who will watch their first Olympic OC and march of nations next year, who will be smitten by the Olympic bug, and who in future will continue our fine tradition of bitching and moaning about the games and the hosts.

That said, after having watched more than a dozen over the years, I too now find it tedious. When it comes to the teams I would be interested in, Australia might be over with quickly, but by the time Germany marches I've just about had it, and it seems excruciatingly interminable before the Swedes march. At least on GamesBids with the usual live thread chats during the OCs, there's a bit of bitching about the parade's fashion interest to liven interest. I'd never suggest the March should be disbanded, but I do sympathise with efforts to make it shorter. Alas, I don't know if that will ever happen _ it's been tried and the Parade does seem to be one of those untouchable areas for traditionalists and athletes. No big deal _ always a good time for toilet and snack breaks during watching the loong OC!

I actually like to see the Parade of Nations--that's the best part of it for me; I get to ID some athletes that NBC's announcers may not mention.

Atlanta's Opening Ceremony should've been commercial-free through out from NBC, but that was in the days before broadband and the Internet playing a role now in Olympic coverage here.

Who were those two who donned the national Georgian dress marching in front of their athletes for Atlanta and Sydney?

Nations and territories omitted from being shown on NBC 1996 (man there were a lot even though it was live):

Latvia

Cape Verde (was shown in the background as some Canadians were posing for photos at the lighted Olympic flagpole)

Maldives

Zambia (was quickly seen marching down the ramp)

Zaire

Yugoslavia

Venezuela

Vanuatu

Tonga

Uganda

Tajikistan

Krygzistan

Cameroon (the last of the Cameroonians are shown when Canada first appears)

Hungary

Austria

Sri Lanka (barely in the background with the camera focusing on the Spanish team in one shot)

Senegal

Suriname

Azerbaijian

Jordan

Tunisia

Uzbekistan

St. Kitts-Nevis

Bangledesh (hear the PA introducing them but not seen)

Togo

Burundi

Chile

Singapore

Vietnam

Laos

Malawi

Tanzania

Yemen

Rwanda

Sudan

Botswana

Denmark

Djibouti

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Ghana

Lebanon (actually briefly seen at the end of the ramp in front of the Lesothans)

Syria

Swaziland

Malta (there's a brief skycam shot of them before going to Jim Grey)

Mauritius (mentioned in the PA)

Mozambique

Namibia (seen though hurrying to Olympic Stadium when Jim Grey was talking)

New Zealand

Netherlands Antilles (mentioned in the PA, maybe there was a brief shot of them)

Nicaragua (quickie shot of them going down the ramp prior to commercial break)

Niger (see Nicaragua)

Kazakhstan

St. Lucia

St. Vincent and the Grenadines (mentioned in the PA)

Sierra Leone

Mauritania

Oman

United Arab Emirates

Bahrain

Seychelles

Sao Tome & Principe (mentioned in the PA)

Philippines

Burkina Faso

San Marino

Thailand

Cambodia

Somalia

Eritrea

Burma (Myanmar)

Uruguay

Saudi Arabia

Mali

Madagascar

Fiji

Western Samoa

Cayman Islands

Turks & Caicos Islands

The Bahamas (?)

No wonder why people with lineage from several of these nations complained about their omissions, according to Bob Costas.

Looking forward to see the international version of the Atlanta parade of nations soon.

NBC also quickly cut to a commercial break when the dinosaurs appeared looming over Rice-Ecceles Stadium during the CC in Salt Lake City. :angry: So I finally got the see them in full from the CBC on YouTube.

I can't remember the last time before and since Atlanta a torch relay update, let alone a time to do the wave, was announced in the stadium's PA except for when the PA announcers mentioned the torch is in the stadium.

I spotted on YouTube, more Atlanta 1996 Opening Ceremony footage: this time coming from mmryt on Australia's Channel 7 with commentary by Sandy Roberts and Garry Wilkinson (I think). They don't get into the metaphorical reasons of the Thunderbird crashing the South like Bob Costas did for NBC. Because it's from a regional city, you'll barely see the Prime logo on the upper left hand corner, and it starts with the Southern Spirit. Nice to hear some commentary from other nations.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It's supposed to be in 6 parts, but apparently he'll do the rest later.

I'll actually get to the extended versions of Julius923's 1996 Parade of Nations later.

If there was no parade of nations, I doubt my interest in the Olympics would have ever escalated to the level that it did. The first one I ever saw was Lake Placid in 1980, I was 11 at the time and didn't have the slightest clue what the Olympics were about. I sat down with my parents to watch the tape-delayed version on ABC (they actually broadcast it twice). Andorra comes out and my parents have no inkling where that is, so I explained where it was located. What 11 year-old doesn't love to make his parents look like idiots? That night I realized that this was my thing, largely because I was into both sports and geography. but it took the OC and the parade with all the flags and other trappings to make me realize it.

Baron Pierre and I must be diametrically opposed when it comes to the ceremonies. I have every one on tape since Seoul and I usually only watch the opening countdown, the parade, the entrance of the Oympic flag, and the flame lighting. I watch very few of the theatrical presentations.

Just my personal tastes.

Like Roltel, the first few COMPLETE Ceremonies (parade and all) held me in thrall. But after 4 or 5, especially now that all the NOCs are more or less settled, then it becomes a 'been-there, done-that' syndrome. And with the bizarre outfits (like Germany? or Switzerland's mylar-aluminium uniforms in Salt Lake) :blink: , it becomes even more...why am I wasting my time with this portion?

But to each his own, I guess.

I actually like to see the Parade of Nations--that's the best part of it for me; I get to ID some athletes that NBC's announcers may not mention.

Atlanta's Opening Ceremony should've been commercial-free through out from NBC, but that was in the days before broadband and the Internet playing a role now in Olympic coverage here.

Who were those two who donned the national Georgian dress marching in front of their athletes for Atlanta and Sydney?

Nations and territories omitted from being shown on NBC 1996 (man there were a lot even though it was live):

Latvia

Cape Verde (was shown in the background as some Canadians were posing for photos at the lighted Olympic flagpole)

Maldives

Zaire

Yugoslavia

Venezuela

Vanuatu

Tonga

Uganda

Tajikistan

Krygzistan

Hungary

Austria

Sri Lanka (barely in the background with the camera focusing on the Spanish team in one shot)

Senegal

Suriname

Azerbaijian

Jordan

Tunisia

Uzbekistan

St. Kitts-Nevis

Togo

Burundi

Chile

Singapore

Vietnam

Laos

Malawi

Tanzania

Yemen

Rwanda

Sudan

Botswana

Denmark

Djibouti

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Ghana

Lebanon (actually briefly seen at the end of the ramp in front of the Lesothans)

Syria

Swaziland

Mozambique

New Zealand

Netherlands Antilles (mentioned in the PA, maybe there was a brief shot of them)

Niger (see Nicaragua)

Kazakhstan

St. Lucia

Sierra Leone

Mauritania

Oman

United Arab Emirates

Bahrain

Seychelles

Philippines

Burkina Faso

San Marino

Thailand

Cambodia

Somalia

Eritrea

Burma (Myanmar)

Uruguay

Saudi Arabia

Mali

Madagascar

Fiji

Western Samoa

Cayman Islands

Turks & Caicos Islands

The Bahamas (?)

No wonder why people with lineage from several of these nations complained about their omissions, according to Bob Costas.

Good mention of the Philippines too. But I heard the announcer on the clip saying that the Philippines is marching down the ramp.

In the edited clips, my fellow citizens wondered things like "Where is the Philippines?" and one of them said that he thought that Julius923 "discriminated my beloved country", then he exclaimed "MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS!" (Filipino/Tagalog for "Long Live the Philippines!")

Looking forward to see the international version of the Atlanta parade of nations soon.

Me, too. Guadian (rockies77) began to upload it (Canadian commentary). I hope they would not have the interview on their team at the "p" delegations unless the use thei P-in-P (picture in picture). Otherwise I'll make a disappointing face again. Look at Jacques Rogge, President of the IOC. He made a disappointing face as the Olympic Flag was raised at the opening ceremony of the 2003 Pan American Games in the Dominican Republic. The Olympic Hymn was supposed to be played but they replaced it with John William's "Olympic Spirit", that's why he's disappointed.

Latvia

Maldives

Zaire

Yugoslavia

Venezuela

Vanuatu

Tonga

Uganda

Tajikistan

Krygzistan

Hungary

Austria

Senegal

Suriname

Azerbaijian

Jordan

Tunisia

Uzbekistan

St. Kitts-Nevis

Togo

Burundi

Chile

Singapore

Vietnam

Laos

Malawi

Tanzania

Yemen

Rwanda

Sudan

Botswana

Denmark

Djibouti

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Ghana

Syria

Swaziland

Mozambique

New Zealand

Niger (see Nicaragua)

Kazakhstan

St. Lucia

Sierra Leone

Mauritania

Oman

United Arab Emirates

Bahrain

Seychelles

Philippines

Burkina Faso

San Marino

Thailand

Cambodia

Somalia

Eritrea

Burma (Myanmar)

Uruguay

Saudi Arabia

Mali

Madagascar

Fiji

Western Samoa

Cayman Islands

Turks & Caicos Islands

The Bahamas (?)

Good mention of the Philippines too. But I heard the announcer on the clip saying that the Philippines is marching down the ramp.

In the edited clips, my fellow citizens wondered things like "Where is the Philippines?" and one of them said that he thought that Julius923 "discriminated my beloved country", then he exclaimed "MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS!" (Filipino/Tagalog for "Long Live the Philippines!")

Me, too. Guadian (rockies77) began to upload it (Canadian commentary). I hope they would not have the interview on their team at the "p" delegations unless the use thei P-in-P (picture in picture). Otherwise I'll make a disappointing face again. Look at Jacques Rogge, President of the IOC. He made a disappointing face as the Olympic Flag was raised at the opening ceremony of the 2003 Pan American Games in the Dominican Republic. The Olympic Hymn was supposed to be played but they replaced it with John William's "Olympic Spirit", that's why he's disappointed.

Wait. Here's to solve if this happens again.

THIS* must be played ALWAYS whenever the Olympic Flag is raised.

Not THIS!**

* Olympic Hymn in English by Laura Garff Lewis during the SLC 2002 Closing Ceremony.

Lyrics: (for those who can't understand a soprano's voice)

Olympian flame immortal

Whose beacon lights our way

Emblaze our hearts with the fires of hope

On this momentous day

As now we come across the world

To share these Games of old

Let all the flags of every land

In brotherhood unfold

Sing out each nation, voices strong

Rise up in harmony

All hail our brave Olympians

With strains of victory

Olympic light burn on and on

O'er seas and mountains and plains

Unite, inspire, bring honor

To these ascending games

May valor reign victorious

Along the path of golden way

As tomorrow's new champions now come forth

Rising to the fervent spirit of the game

Let splendour pervade each noble deed

Crowned with glory and fame

And let fraternity and fellowship

Surround the soul of every nation

Oh flame, eternal in your firmament so bright

Illuminate us with your everlasting light

That grace and beauty and magnificence

Shine like the sun

Blazing above

Bestow on us your honor, truth and love

** "Olympic Spirit" by John Williams, full version (the one which omitted the Olympic Hymn at the opening ceremony of the 2003 Pan American Games.)

olympix08, what ARE u talking about? U're not making any sense in that last post.

Olympics08 wrote:

Olympix08, I am surprised that the Olympic flag even went up in Sto. Domingo. But here's the deal. The O flag went up because PASO is an Olympics-affiliated organization. However, the Olympic Hymn was NOT used because those weren't the actual Olympics. The Olympic Hymn is reserved for use in the Summer and Winter Olympic Games. (It used to be "Ode to Joy" that was played in some SOG/WOGs of the past. I know in Atlanta, the O flag was marched in to the Quaker hymn, "Simple Joys (or Simple Things)," (I forget now which one it is) and then when the flag reached the grandstand and was about to be raised, they switched to the Olympic Hymn.

In Torino, when the all-women team marched it in, they entered to the Triumphant March from AIDA.)

Also, you're lucky if you get to hear the O Hymn in English. Traditionally, it's sung in its original Greek (and it actually sounds better). However, you cannot dictate how it will be used in the Games. The Ceremonies team takes care of that. If it sounds undecipherable in English, wait till it shows up in Beijing. God forbid it and even Ode to Joy will be sung in Chinese!! :o

I, like a lot of people, miss seeing the Mexican broadcast of the Atlanta Olympics before it was even complete, particularly at the Parade of Nations, which in the international cut, the emphasis is on the athletes going down the ramp and instead of marching around the track like NBC usually showed with the nations. All of the cameras were utilized and commissioned by the IOC but see what I just uttered. Why was the international cut like that, was it becuase the ramp was unique?

I hope no picture-in-picture after the Canadians arrive.

Think I missed a nation that was omitted by NBC in Atlanta, I'll think back to it later...

Nigeria

Dominica

Trinidad & Tobago

Nauru

Kuwait

Turkmenistan

There was no shots from the CBC of the Canadian athletes taking pictures at the Olympic flagpole, for all of the time the Canadians took and making a huge gap during the Parade of Nations thanks to their congestion with the multiple shot chances.

It's still not the complete one; CBC's better with some nations but not with others. I'm still hoping the return of the Televisa/TV Azteca's coverage of the Atlanta Olympic Opening Ceremony as well as some from a European nation--commercial-free!

what's with all this pining for a Parade of Nations that happened 11 years ago? I mean, c'mon, all the nations present there, marched. Get real, folks. And even I myself was physically present there -- but we were like having dinner and taking a rest, it's not like we were hanging on every moment that was happening. C'mon, ALL the nations there, marched in.

what's with all this pining for a Parade of Nations that happened 11 years ago? I mean, c'mon, all the nations present there, marched. Get real, folks. And even I myself was physically present there -- but we were like having dinner and taking a rest, it's not like we were hanging on every moment that was happening. C'mon, ALL the nations there, marched in.

At least it's there for historical purposes particularly for those who want to relive it and/or see it from different perspectives and nations. True, they were all there, but not all nations were given their proper due by the networks. But I, for one, would like to see how other OCs compare, and there are those I that haven't seen in years or not at all since YouTube came along.

Anyway, with Sydney and Athens, all nations participating were shown and introduced--got the DVDs for them so I know, which is a big reason I would like tosee if NBC for example would do the OC in Beijing commercial free or eventually done so online.

Just seen the handover for Atlanta at the Barcelona closing ceremony.

so so so disappointed

This was the centenial olympic host, they shulda celebrated that fact with a huge handover.

Didnt undestand what was going on with the dancers, it reminded me of the fresh prince of bel air lol

Still think the best handover was Sydney at the Atlanta games. They made the best use of space and made people crave for the next games

Just seen the handover for Atlanta at the Barcelona closing ceremony.

so so so disappointed

This was the centenial olympic host, they shulda celebrated that fact with a huge handover.

Didnt undestand what was going on with the dancers, it reminded me of the fresh prince of bel air lol

Still think the best handover was Sydney at the Atlanta games. They made the best use of space and made people crave for the next games

U shud've seen Barcelona's handover at Seoul. Maybe a smidge better than Atlanta's.

Now, as far as Atlanta's handover in 1992, there really wasn't much for Atlanta to portray (being a much, much younger city than Barcelona). What did you expect the Atlantans to do? Recreate the burning of Atlanta? Blow up 3 giant Coca-Cola bottles? :rolleyes:

lol that probably would have been better..... no seriously, look at Sydneys handover, it was Australian, it had aborigiones, kangaroos, exotic plants and animals, lifeguards and the opera house portrayal.

Atlanta should have showed that in 4 years time they were going to celebrate 100 years of the modern games. It should have been full of colour, with reference to the fact that it was going to be the centenial games, they could have madea huge 100 like at the start of the games in 1996.

It just should have been so much better

Archived