Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Continuing with the Lillehammer vids:

Lillehammer 1994 OC - Last part of the fiddlers performances | Entrance of King Harold and Queen Sonia of Norway | Weeding Celebrations

If you might ask why you hear God save the Queen, is because this is also the Royal Anthem on Norway (they have two anthems, the Royal one is player when the King or Queen are present)

What the ...! They actually sing the British national anthem, God Save the Queen (King) HERE?? Unbelievable! Canada does that in some regal and other high-formal events that deal with the Queen in any capacity, too.

This anthem is called ''Kongesangen'', and it was inspired from the British Royal Anthem. That's why they use the same tune for this anthem. Anyway the lyrics are pretty similar in meaning to the original God Save the Queen/King

The music played when they arrived on the sleighs is ''Venite Rex'', by norwegian composr Arne Nordheim (which composed various scores for the OC and CC, incluiding the arrival of the flame)

What the ...! They actually sing the British national anthem, God Save the Queen (King) HERE?? Unbelievable! Canada does that in some regal and other high-formal events that deal with the Queen in any capacity, too.

Did you also know that the melody of God Save The Queen is also used for Liechtenstein's national anthem and for the official/unofficial national anthems of the German Empire (1871-1918, there it was called "Heil dir im Siegerkranz" = "Hail To Thee In Victor's Crown"), the Russian Empire (until 1917, called "Molitva russkikh" = "The Prayer of Russians") and Switzerland (until 1961, called "Rufst du mein Vaterland" = "When You, Fatherland, Call")?

I just noticed Rav3n has just posted the the Moscow 1980 CC! It would be nice to see the SAGE TV logo and the opening logo for the closing ceremony that we've seen at RuTube, but I'll let him explain what he has to upload all to us when he writes.... :)

(At least there is no need for a long wait for uploading)

Did you also know that the melody of God Save The Queen is also used for Liechtenstein's national anthem and for the official/unofficial national anthems of the German Empire (1871-1918, there it was called "Heil dir im Siegerkranz" = "Hail To Thee In Victor's Crown"), the Russian Empire (until 1917, called "Molitva russkikh" = "The Prayer of Russians") and Switzerland (until 1961, called "Rufst du mein Vaterland" = "When You, Fatherland, Call")?

Ja. And when England went to play Liechtenstein in a Euro qualifier in Vaduz, they had to play the same anthem tune twice! :lol:

Ja. And when England went to play Liechtenstein in a Euro qualifier in Vaduz, they had to play the same anthem tune twice! :lol:

Must get confusing, to say the least. :huh:

Wouldn't it have a very nice touch if they'd play the tune only once and let both teams and supporter blocks sing together, with their respective lyrics? Just like at international services where everyone may speak the Lord's Prayer in his own language.

That Moscow Opening and Closing Ceremonies were great! :D It's just too bad that the Parade of Nations and the athletes' (Nikolai Andrianov) and judges' (Aleksandr Medved) oaths were omitted from the replay. That would show its entirety, but this was good. As much as I enjoy them, I prefer the present format in ceremony organizing; the athletes are much a part of them festivities by qualifying and this is part of their reward for that. I would also like to see the Opening and Closing Ceremonies from Munich and Montreal. I think those would only be possible, I assume, if the BBC works on their on-demand library that it is supposedly working on from all of their programming they preserved over the years adding on their roster with the likes of Live Aid and coverage of past British elections. This will take a while...

Back to Athens, I remember when NBC did their horrible Opening Ceremony coverage (despite winning an Emmy), it did not show ONE shot of DJ Tiesto like you saw internationally. Never mind he was the first Olympic DJ. Why?!! When the Dutch came into the stadium, they partied and danced in front of their countryman as they marched as if they were in a club until they were shooed away into the field. Another thing, when he was composing the Heroes soundtrack, the IOC told him not to add lyrics to them as they could be vulnerable to inadverdant misinterpretation. Like to see him brought back for Beijing.

Christos, I have the DVD to the Opening Ceremony with the ERT Greek commentary that contains in the beginning the moments before the countdown. I got it from a guy in Pennsylvania on eBay that he recorded on ET1 via satelitte. The YouTube uploading has the NET logo (and not ET1) but it was simulcasted--as evidenced by the NOVA TV guide online. Haven't played it in a while, need to find it. Won't sell it. Wish the pre-olympic ceremony was on it. On that note, I would like to meet the guys who recorded everything on the ERT channels during the Athens 2004 Olympics, including the ones from ET4-9 that were specifically designed for Athens.

I would also like to see the Opening and Closing Ceremonies from Munich and Montreal.

Back to Athens, I remember when NBC did their horrible Opening Ceremony coverage (despite winning an Emmy), it did not show ONE shot of DJ Tiesto like you saw internationally. Never mind he was the first Olympic DJ. Why?!! When the Dutch came into the stadium, they partied and danced in front of their countryman as they marched as if they were in a club until they were shooed away into the field. Another thing, when he was composing the Heroes soundtrack, the IOC told him not to add lyrics to them as they could be vulnerable to inadverdant misinterpretation. Like to see him brought back for Beijing.

Munich and Montreal OCs -- not worth pining over. Very dull -- a few folk dances and the requried protocol parts. That's it.

Re Athens OC -- why should DJ Tiesto be given any importance? I mean he was just the DJ who spun the intro march music. You don't see the directors (other than the more famous conductors) or choreographers of the Ceremonies being shown or singled out.

Munich and Montreal OCs -- not worth pining over. Very dull -- a few folk dances and the requried protocol parts. That's it.

But Munich's OC was ground-breaking in having non-military music for the parade of nations -- with the legendary arrangement by Kurt Edelhagen. That one was even so entertaining that the parade didn't become boring like today's parades. But of course, that's also because there were less participating nations and athletes back then and the parade was shorter.

Re Athens OC -- why should DJ Tiesto be given any importance? I mean he was just the DJ who spun the intro march music. You don't see the directors (other than the more famous conductors) or choreographers of the Ceremonies being shown or singled out.

But unlike DJ Tiesto, the directors and choreographers usually don't appear on or around the field during the ceremonies. By contrast, they brought Tiesto and his turntables out for everyone to see -- as performer of the ceremony. So it was only consistent that the international broadcast showed him also to the audience outside the stadium, in front of their TV sets.

I've never understood this glamourisation of DJs either. They can spin discs. Big deal!

Regarding the Moscow ceremony, I'd be curious to see the parade of athletes just to see which nations used Olympic, NOC, or other alternate flags. (The closing ceremony video isn't clear enough to read all the placards).

As for Athens, I rate it the worst musical backdrop to a parade of nations for any Games I have watched (some might say that about Torino, but I'm so stuck in the 70s some times that I absolutely loved it). The music was great for a nightclub (again, some could say that about Torino), but seemed out of place for an event.

Nations who used Olympic flags in Moscow:

Australia

Great Britain

France

Italy

The Netherlands

Belguim

Switzerland

Andorra

Denmark

Ireland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

San Marino

Luxembourg

Nations that used its NOC flag in Moscow:

Spain

New Zealand

Do you think it's possible we will see something like a military band performing like the Soviet Red Army at the CC for Sochi? I doubt that. But it got me thinking about what aspects (or references) of both Moscow 1980 ceremonies could be applied for Sochi so the whole world can see them live without the issue of a boycott.

I forgot to add that with Athens, I'd like very much get the English translation of the Greek commentary from ERT's announcers (can't remember their names right now) of both ceremonies if possible.

What's more about DJ Tiesto is, I think, that perhaps it was more due to Americans' general lessened appetite for techno music than in other nations in the West and in Pacific/Latin America/South Africa.

You're welcome BTHarper. :)

BTW, remember those portions of the All-Africa Games in Algiers, Algeria this year? Well Rav3n has added more stuff from including the cultural presentations. I hope the complete Parade of Nations is there culminating with Algeria's entrance into the stadium. I'll let him explain it all to put it up for all of us to look at.

Christos, I have the DVD to the Opening Ceremony with the ERT Greek commentary that contains in the beginning the moments before the countdown. I got it from a guy in Pennsylvania on eBay that he recorded on ET1 via satelitte. The YouTube uploading has the NET logo (and not ET1) but it was simulcasted--as evidenced by the NOVA TV guide online. Haven't played it in a while, need to find it. Won't sell it. Wish the pre-olympic ceremony was on it. On that note, I would like to meet the guys who recorded everything on the ERT channels during the Athens 2004 Olympics, including the ones from ET4-9 that were specifically designed for Athens.

Hi there!

Yes you see that logo because I recorded the ceremony from NET, I had better quality in picture.As for the commmets I think they spoke too much in some parts, I prefer watching it without any.

Unfotunately I didn't have NOVA....and I regret that I didn't recorded the sports but it was difficult to do it, almost every day I was in stadiums.

But I have recorded them when they showed highlights, summer of 2005.

Archived