Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, while we're waiting for Guardian to wake up I saw these clips, not here yet...

He uploaded the Nagano Closing Ceremony!

Beginning with the host broadcaster's animation and the sprinkling of the field with petals.

The athletes enter the stadium. (1/2)

The athletes enter the stadium. (2/2)

Dance with taiko drums.Two lions damce.

The taiko drums again.

Raising of the Greek, Japanese and American flags. Their respective anthems are played. The Oslo Olympic Flag is then passed to Salt Lake City.

The presentation by Salt Lake City.

Samaranch's last ever Winter Olympics speech. Can be read by clicking here, selecting "1998 Nagano Volume 2" and going to page 130 of it. Adobe Reader needed.

The Olympic Flag is then lowered and the Olympic Hymn as explained below is played.

The Olympic Flame goes out and "Fursato" is sung.

Fireworkes display inside the stadium.

Fireworks outside the stadium.

Finale: Farewell celebration to the song "ILE AIYE - Let's Make A Circle And Dance".

Here are the actual reasons why there is no clip of NAOC's closing speech.

- The Canadian broadcaster of the Games took a commercial break.

- NAOC President Eishiro Sait was a no-show there. Its vice-president, Goro Yokoshima, read a speech on his behalf.

As for the Olympic Hymn, it is recorded in JAPANESE by the Nagano City Children's Choir. The lyrics:

In Kanji:

大空と大地に 生気溢れて

不滅の栄光に輝く

高貴と真実と 美をば創り

古代の御霊を崇めよ

全ての競技に 奮い立てよ

緑の枝の栄冠を

目指して此処に戦うものに

鉄の力と新たなる精神を与えよ

野山も海原も 今こそ煌めく

真紅と純白の神殿に

世界の国民 四方の国より 聖なる園に 集い来るは

古き昔の 永遠なる精神の 御前にひれ伏すためぞ

In Romaji:

Oōzora to daichi ni seiki afure te

Fumetsu no eikou ni kagayaku

Kouki to shinjitsu to bi o ba tsukuri

Shi kodai no mitama o agameyo

Subete no kyougi ni furuitate yo

Midori no eda no eikan o

Mezashi te koko ni tatakau mono ni

Tetsu no chikara to arata naru seishin o ataeyo

Noyama mo unabara mo ima koso kirameku

shinku to junpaku no shinden ni

sekai no kuni tami yomo no kuni yori seinaru en ni tsudoi ki ta ru ha

furuki mukashi no towa naru seishin no mimae ni hirefusu tame zo

For the music, its pitch is a precursor to the Athens 2004 verson.

That's all for now!

Sorry about not responding here. By the way, welcome to these forums, olympics08. :D

Uploading these clips are very time consuming. I have just managed to finish uploading the Salt Lake 2002 closing ceremony. I just hope those YouTube guys are not going to delete my account, like what happened to rav3n in the past. Besides, I will have to go through all the clips uploaded already from certain Olympic Games now. The ones that were never really uploaded before is practically done by me. I could do a few more clips, but I will have to be careful now because it seems to me that the more YouTube clips one puts up, the greater risk those YouTube guys will try to detect how those clips could be violating their terms of agreement.

For example, I have seen the count of YouTube members that favored one of my clips was going down. Also, a couple of comments I let go to show to others in YouTube at a couple of clips has been deleted not by me. So, let's just say that I am a little concerned, especially from what I heard last week in a business news show that YouTube is going to crack down on "all copyrighted material." In other words, that could be everything that wasn't made by a personal camcorder.

Welcome to the forum, olympics08! What do the clips you wanted to have uploaded by Guardian show? And why don't you make your own YouTube account and upload it there?

And Guardian: Which comments were deleted? I didn't know that YouTube does delete comments at all! I mean, there are so many videos on YouTube where the comments are full of rudest swearwords but they aren't deleted nevertheless. So what can be so problematic about some not very controversial Olympic video comments? :blink:

Thanks for uploading the SLC 2002 Opening Ceremony! If I still had the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony on videotape (it since got stolen), I might have tried to upload it myself only for comparison purposes. Picture quality is much better obviously than what we've seen uploaded taken from Brazil's Bandirantes TV by TcheBom.

The fire character, I think, is Jozef (last name escapes me right now) from the Czech Republic. He lives in Utah.

The protagonist in the artistic portion is Ryne Sandborn, who later went to achieve greater fame as Jason Cross in that monstrosity that is the High School Musicals.

Pro football Hall of Famer from the LA Express and the San Francisco 49ERS QB Steve Young leads Great Britain in the Parade of Nations. In fact, he was the very first SLC volunteer to sign up for these games.

Back to Moscow 1980 for a moment with some questions:

Where did the athletes go to in Lenin Stadium to make way for the second part of the artistic presentation?

How did that section of spectators (or athletes) were able to make those moving placards and the ramp up to the cauldron for Sergei Belov? Were they as athletes? And why was the Soviet Red Army band in front of them?

Where is the full translation to what the astronauts say to the athletes?

Will there be any chance to see the missing Parade of Nations, the protocol pledges, and speeches from someone else?

Did anyone notice some of the spectator shots during it?

I hope one day in the future we will see these ceremonies in their entirities at some point perhaps when that planned USOC TV channel airs supposedly next year. I know some TV networks around the world like ERT would do that.

PS: Roy and HG on "The Ice Dream" (I have the DVD! :D ) poked fun at his Mitt Romney's speech and his alleged blue discussions by playfully censoring his profanity-free speech as SLCOC President at the Opening Ceremony to make it sound dirtier than it was. ("Is this a great BLEEP or what?!") Hilarious! :D

Welcome to the forum, olympics08! What do the clips you wanted to have uploaded by Guardian show? And why don't you make your own YouTube account and upload it there?

And Guardian: Which comments were deleted? I didn't know that YouTube does delete comments at all! I mean, there are so many videos on YouTube where the comments are full of rudest swearwords but they aren't deleted nevertheless. So what can be so problematic about some not very controversial Olympic video comments? :blink:

The main ones were from the Mitt Romney clips. Remember, he is trying to get the Republican nomination for US president in 2008. YouTube is full of clips about him and other candidates, Republican and Democrat, for US president lately. Besides, I need to clean house on some clips with questionable comments now. I left them for now because I would love to see what reactions I could see from those "informed guys." And, yes, as "the owner" of the clips, I can delete comments that do not suit what the clip is all about. However, if a comment I know is there and it is deleted regardless NOT by me, then there is really one answer to that: that account was forced-deleted by the YouTube guys. Just like what happened to one of our members here. (sorry about mentioning it here) :(

In fact, I have been seeing YouTube accounts being deleted at least once a week by them.

Thanks for uploading the SLC 2002 Opening Ceremony! If I still had the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony on videotape (it since got stolen), I might have tried to upload it myself only for comparison purposes. Picture quality is much better obviously than what we've seen uploaded taken from Brazil's Bandirantes TV by TcheBom.

1. The fire character, I think, is Jozef (last name escapes me right now) from the Czech Republic. He lives in Utah.

2. The protagonist in the artistic portion is Ryne Sandborn, who later went to achieve greater fame as Jason Cross in that monstrosity that is the High School Musicals.

Pro football Hall of Famer from the LA Express and the San Francisco 49ERS QB Steve Young leads Great Britain in the Parade of Nations. In fact, he was the very first SLC volunteer to sign up for these games.

Back to Moscow 1980 for a moment with some questions:

3. Where did the athletes go to in Lenin Stadium to make way for the second part of the artistic presentation?

4. How did that section of spectators (or athletes) were able to make those moving placards and the ramp up to the cauldron for Sergei Belov? Were they as athletes? And why was the Soviet Red Army band in front of them?

1. Jozef Sbocek (or something like that). I think he was the bronze medalist in Calgary or Albertville.

2. That's right; that's his name.

3. That's why there's always an auxiliary stadium beside the main one. The 2ndary one is the'holding tank' for those athletes.

4. The stunt card section was actually Red Army regulars. The 'ramp' was erected and dismantled with stilts which quickly folded back into the seats of the section. The Red Army Band was in front of them so that the Red Army bosses could keep an eye for the regulars comprising the Stunt Card section and easily pick out any errant 'holders' and sentence them to 2 years' hard labor or to a gulag.

I had an acquaintance who said that the videos for the Moscow Games pop up in all the flea markets in Moscow -- except that I don't know what Region Russian-produced DVDs are and if they would play on Western players.

I had an acquaintance who said that the videos for the Moscow Games pop up in all the flea markets in Moscow -- except that I don't know what Region Russian-produced DVDs are and if they would play on Western players.

I wouldn't trust them _ those Russkis use a different TV system from the the rest of us. While North America and others have NTSC (never the same colour twice), and Europe and Oz use PAL, the Russkis have their Secam system. It might be changing now, but I'd assume legacy footage like the Moscow games would certainly be in Secam.

I see that the Nagano and Torino ceremonies (CBC broadcasts) are on the playlist too. It was nice to see Nagano, which CBS absolutely butchered here in the USA, but I think NBC's Torino ceremony was better, even though it was tape-delayed and with commercial breaks. CBC had too many split-screen shots.

His name is Jozef Sabovčík, also known as "Jumping Joe". He actually was the bronze medallist in Sarajevo.

See here: Wikipedia

Thank you for this news. I was wondering how to type his name properly and I had completely forgotten about his figure skating credentials. Is he the only Czech figure skater to ever medal in the Winter Olympics so far?

Thank you for this news. I was wondering how to type his name properly and I had completely forgotten about his figure skating credentials. Is he the only Czech figure skater to ever medal in the Winter Olympics so far?

No. According to the medallists database on olympic.org, the Czechs also won the following figure skating medals:

-- Karol Divín: Silver in men's individual in Squaw Valley 1960

-- Hana Mašková: Bronze in women's individual in Grenoble 1968

-- Ondrej Nepela: Gold in men's individual in Sapporo 1972

-- Petr Barna: Bronze in men's individual in Albertville 1992

Those medals were won when Czechoslovakia still existed. Since the founding of the Czech Republic in 1993, there have been no additional figure skating medals for the country (even not for Slovakia) anymore.

No. According to the medallists database on olympic.org, the Czechs also won the following figure skating medals:

-- Karol Divín: Silver in men's individual in Squaw Valley 1960

-- Hana Mašková: Bronze in women's individual in Grenoble 1968

-- Ondrej Nepela: Gold in men's individual in Sapporo 1972

-- Petr Barna: Bronze in men's individual in Albertville 1992

Those medals were won when Czechoslovakia still existed. Since the founding of the Czech Republic in 1993, there have been no additional figure skating medals for the country (even not for Slovakia) anymore.

Here the Complete 1984 results from www.olympic.org

1. Scott Hamilton - USA

2. Brian Orser - Canada

3. Josef Sabovcik, Czechoslovakia

Here are some new treats for all ceremony enthusiasts:

First of all, here are large parts of the Moscow 1980 closing ceremony:

Moscow 1980 Closing Ceremony

It seems to be the video of the original broadcast of Soviet television. But the videos loads very slowly and strangely, its duration shall be 1:19 hours but only about 52 minutes are displayed. Also some segments of the ceremony (for example, the raising of the flags of Greece, the USSR and Los Angeles) seem to be cut out. And it's incomprehensible that the stadium announcements were obviously made in Russian only. Incredible that the IOC approved of that.

Secondly, here are two clips of the Barcelona 1992 closing ceremony:

Hahahaha, you were faster than me Olympian, i was just going to put the Barcelona 92 vids here, and i see your message :lol: . Anyway thanks very much.

I have the Closing Ceremony of Moscow 1980 (is the same record as the link you put but without the logo), i'm going to publish it very soon at Youtube so stay tunned

OK, here's the opening to Australia's Seven Network's 2004 Athens Olympic Games coverage leading up to the Opening Ceremony (Seven actually started its telecast with preliminary games for the Olyroos and the Matildas a day before). It of course doesn't have the intros narrated by James Earl Jones on NBC, but it does feature Bond's "Explosive" (did see their video to it) interspersed with Sydney 2000 footage with calls from Seven's sportscasters--lots of "gold to Australias". This is really good! :)

Seven's Athens 2004 Opening

Continuing with the Lillehammer vids:

Lillehammer 1994 OC - Last part of the fiddlers performances | Entrance of King Harold and Queen Sonia of Norway | Weeding Celebrations

If you might ask why you hear God save the Queen, is because this is also the Royal Anthem on Norway (they have two anthems, the Royal one is player when the King or Queen are present)

Archived