Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in case that some of you haven't seen it yet: Guardian has uploaded the first parts of the Lillehammer closing ceremony already.

Beginning of the ceremony with highlights of the Games

The athletes' entry into the stadium (Part 1)

The athletes' entry into the stadium (Part 2)

The athletes' entry into the stadium (Part 3)

Hoisting of the Greek, Norwegian and Japanese flags

Passing of the Olympic Flag to Nagano

Gerhard Heiberg's closing speech

Guardian, I can't thank you enough already now. These are great clips from a truly exceptional ceremony.

Just in case that some of you haven't seen it yet: Guardian has uploaded the first parts of the Lillehammer closing ceremony already.

Guardian, I can't thank you enough already now. These are great clips from a truly exceptional ceremony.

Of course, the Samaranch speech, too: Samaranch's Speech With His Famous Phrase

Some videos i have uploaded recently to Dailymotion:

A fragment from Albertville 92 Opening Ceremony - Michel Platini and François-Cyrille Grange (a little boy, something that also resembles a little with Calgary 88 OC) make their lap at the Ceremonies Theater and light the cauldron (notice that the cauldron start to burn before the flame actually reached it)

And also i'm starting to re-upload the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony here. The Welcome Segment.

Some videos i have uploaded recently to Dailymotion:

A fragment from Albertville 92 Opening Ceremony - Michel Platini and François-Cyrille Grange (a little boy, something that also resembles a little with Calgary 88 OC) make their lap at the Ceremonies Theater and light the cauldron (notice that the cauldron start to burn before the flame actually reached it)

That's a tiring climb. Poor kid.

Also: Hello, Barcelona and Atlanta!

If you look at that Albertville clip and compare it to Guardian's clips of the Lillehammer closing ceremony, Albertville absolutely didn't stand comparison with Lillehammer. Already that dull drum roll during Albertville's cauldron lighting creates almost no atmosphere at all.

However, once again many thanks to Guardian for the uploading of the whole wonderful Lillehammer closing ceremony! The rest of the clips can be found here:

Lillehammer closing ceremony clips

By the way: I just noticed that the official report of Lillehammer 94 mentions that the Nagano mascots, the "Snowlets" appeared at the closing ceremony, too:

The Snowlet mascots from Nagano came down from the spectator stands, wandered around the arena and finally walked over to the Norwegian, white-clad vetter who greeted them. From all the entrances to the arena, large helium balloons were carried onto the arena and were put together to form Nagano’s symbol for The XVIII Olympic Winter Games in 1998. Music and text were based on Japanese folk music. The snowlets welcomed the world to Japan in four years.

To the tune of the Norwegian folk melody Dovregubbens Hall (the troll cavern) all the mythical characters from the Opening Ceremony came onto the arena once again. The Norwegian and Japanese participants joined in a dance to symbolize the conclusion of the Lillehammer Games.

(Official report of Lillehammer 94, volume 3, page 166)

Funny that the Snowlets weren't shown in the TV broadcast although they even "wandered around the arena".

If you look at that Albertville clip and compare it to Guardian's clips of the Lillehammer closing ceremony, Albertville absolutely didn't stand comparison with Lillehammer. Already that dull drum roll during Albertville's cauldron lighting creates almost no atmosphere at all.

Fair comparison indeed: a few-minute clip Vs the whole ceremony.

Lillehammer and Albertville had very different ceremonies: Albertville was rather futuristic and very artistic while Lillehammer was more like a winterland fairytale. Lillehammer ceremonies put strong emphasis on peace while Albertville put strong emphasis on sports. Very different ceremonies for very different atmospheres.

A little "I think", "From my point of view" in your posts wouldn't hurt.

Fair comparison indeed: a few-minute clip Vs the whole ceremony.

Lillehammer and Albertville had very different ceremonies: Albertville was rather futuristic and very artistic while Lillehammer was more like a winterland fairytale. Lillehammer ceremonies put strong emphasis on peace while Albertville put strong emphasis on sports. Very different ceremonies for very different atmospheres.

A little "I think", "From my point of view" in your posts wouldn't hurt.

Well, it was pretty obvious anyway that it's only my personal opinion, wasn't it? I certainly can't speak for all people in the world.

And I've seen more of the Albertville opening ceremony than just this one clip -- and on this basis, I simply have to say: I don't like it. I'm not too much into that futuristic and circus-like stuff. And in my opinion, it lacked emotionality.

Well, it was pretty obvious anyway that it's only my personal opinion, wasn't it? I certainly can't speak for all people in the world.

And I've seen more of the Albertville opening ceremony than just this one clip -- and on this basis, I simply have to say: I don't like it. I'm not too much into that futuristic and circus-like stuff. And in my opinion, it lacked emotionality.

I can understand that.

I also agree that the Opening Ceremony kinda lack emotion (although the welcome segment performed in death/mute people language was a really nice touch). On the other hand, the Closing Ceremony was a true celebration. I especially like the fact that at the very end, all the public, athletes and officials join to dance. Lillehammer closing, I think, lacked a little festive celebration mood.

I actually liked Albertville's Ceremonies (except for the "Bubble Girls") or what CBS DIDN'T show!! Someday, I would like to see Albertville's Ceremonies whole and uninterrupted. (I did actually go to Albertville in the summer of 1990 to check things out and get a few souvenirs.)

Lillehammer, visually, was stunning -- but I can just imagine, was FREEZING cold! It'd be interesting to note how many people and performers get sick after watching and participating in these winter Ceremonies.

Well, it is all done now, guys. Here are the rest of them:

Samaranch's Speech With The Famous Phrase

The Olympic Flag And Hymn

Storytime About Vetter Again

Evil Vetters

The Troll

The Olympic Flame Goes Out

Final Clip: Nagano 1998

15 clips in all. I may want to do this again, but I will wait and see here.

I would put the lighting of the cauldron of Albertville 92 as, with Atlanta 96, the worst of all time (except for it extinction, which i have heard it was somewhat innovative, with a small fairy blowing out the flame). But the rest of the ceremony was cool. More artistic and abstract that the Lillehammer 94 ones (the 1994 ceremonies had a better winter feeling, and a touch of fantasy, along with a great music), the typical dinamysm of the frenchs. Philippe Decoufle, the director of these ceremonies, is a renowned mime and theatrical director, leader of the DCA Company (and he was the inspiration for Dimitris Papaioannou for the Athens 2004 ceremonies), so no wonder why the show had that kind of touch (he also was going to do the Germany 2006 WC opening ceremonies at Berlin Olympiastadion, but it was suddenly cancelled).

Well guys, by the way, i decided to return to Youtube to publish my olympic vids. But in case of emergency, i will keep alive my Dailymotion account.

. I recommend it, a beautiful performance of the hymn

Thanks for that rav3n. I missed that. On the night of the Closing, there was something happening with my family, so my watching (& taping it) that night got pretty screwed up. The Lead Light Boy from the Opening (Ryan) again led the Olympic flag out. Nice touch. (I did see the latter parts of the Ceremony; mostly the performances by the popular artists -- Harry Connick, Josh Groban & Charlotte Church, etc.).

The ENTIRE Nagano 1998 Olympic Winter Games opening ceremony in my small library.

1. CBC's Nagano 1998 Day 1 Opening Credits

2. Nagano 1998 OC Opening

3. The Onbashira Festival

4. Chad Rowan, Sumo Wrestlers and Emperor Akihito

5. When Children Rule The World

The ENTIRE PARADE OF ATHLETES SEGMENT (without commercial breaks, but with picture-in-picture highlights and "live commentary"):

6. Greece To Bulgaria

7. Canada To Iceland

8. India To New Zealand

9. Norway To Ukraine

10. United States of America To Host Nation: Japan

11. Saito's Speech

12. Samaranch's Speech

13. Opening the Games and the arrival of the Olympic Flag

14. Japanese National Anthem

15. Midori Ito and the Olympic Oaths

The Complete Beethoven's Symphony #9 In D Minor (Fourth Movement) in THREE PARTS (Ode To Joy):

16. Part 1

17. Part 2

18. Part 3

The Ode To Joy segment was the last act of this opening ceremony. Have fun watching them all!

Thanks a lot Guardian.

I also have to say that I wish every broadcaster was as good as CBC in their coverage of Olympic ceremonies.

Well, in my opinion, the CBC broadcast was not that good. All those interviews with Canadian athletes during the parade of nations leading to actually the same answers every time ("It's a unique experience to march into the stadium" etc.) became pretty annoying. I'm glad that the ceremonial broadcasts here in Germany are much less focussed on our team -- they only show a few pictures of the team with their own cameras in the course of the ceremony (mostly during the parade itself), and that's it. No interviews during the ceremony, no excessive talking about the team while forgetting that there are also other teams and ceremonial aspects to talk about. And, most of all: We don't have any commercial interruptions during the whole ceremony.

At least the CBC commentators managed to keep their mouths shut during the performance of the Ode to Joy. I have to admit that for some German sports commentators, being silent for 18 minutes would have been an unsolvable task.

Well, if the CBC was not that good, then why did I remember that they got the "gold medal" for broadcasting the Nagano 1998 Olympic Winter Games? Now that the CBC is not going to do it after Beijing 2008, it makes me wonder if the IOC decision to let the CTV conglomerate broadcast the Olympic Games, starting in 2010, has led the downturn of the CBC here.

Actually, CBC did a good job, and altought they went to commercials, they didn't cut important things. Hope i can say the same for NBC :angry: , Bob Costas is a good sportcaster, but my god, how he screwed a lot of ceremonies with the constant comments (an example is Atlanta 96, great part of the Welcome to the World was constantly screwed up)

By the way, i'm recovering what i have lost from my old account, and uploading also new things, like this great resume of the Torino 2006 Winter Olympics (this was the official one, before the Closing Ceremony)

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

A curious find, the Doha 2006 handover at Busan 2006 Asiad Closing, curious to see the big contrast between the performance, which was very simple, and the actual ceremonies of 2006.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QeLx_bm9JzE

Well, if the CBC was not that good, then why did I remember that they got the "gold medal" for broadcasting the Nagano 1998 Olympic Winter Games? Now that the CBC is not going to do it after Beijing 2008, it makes me wonder if the IOC decision to let the CTV conglomerate broadcast the Olympic Games, starting in 2010, has led the downturn of the CBC here.

The gold medal awarded by whom?

And I was talking only about the opening ceremony coverage -- of course, I can't judge the rest of CBC's Olympic broadcast back then.

Probably we set different standards or have different personal tastes, but we Europeans are pretty indulged, if not spoiled by our Olympic broadcasters in terms of ceremonial coverage. We're simply not used to commercial breaks during ceremonies, and also not to excesssive coverage about our own teams while the ceremonies are running.

Man, why are the phrases I put up in quotes recently become literal to some of us? I put such phrases up in such a fashion because I know that they will not be agreed by some of us.

By the way, these awards are called the Olympic Golden Rings awards from broadcasting the Games from the IOC. The categories here are as follows:

- Best sports coverage;

- Best Olympic feature;

- Best athletes' profile; and,

- Best Olympic program (overall).

I think the last category is the most generalized one of them all. It MAY include the way the ceremonies (opening and closing) are used by a particular international broadcaster. Of course, all of them use the live footage of the host nation broadcaster then. Therefore, that host broadcaster cannot win such a reward because it was giving the footage for all the other international broadcasters to use.

For example and in one case for Canada at Nagano 1998 then, the curling coverage then gave CBC the gold medal for "best sports coverage" at the time. As for the best Olympic program for the same Games, I really do not know if they managed to get the gold medal there, too, but I am still sure that it was the case.

Anyway, as a reminder to some of us, the best Olympic program for the 2006 Winter Olympics, in Torino, were as follows:

Gold Medal - Seven Network Australia - “Prime Time, XX Olympic Winter Games”

Silver Medal - NBC Olympics - “Men's Downhill & Women's 1500m Long-track Speedskating”

Bronze Medal - Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - “Torino 2006, the Olympic Winter Games on CBC”

Link: IOC: Winners Of The Olympic Golden Rings 2006

Archived