Ceremonies On Youtube

ChicagoFan90

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LA84 Parade of Nations/Jamaica,Japan,Jordan & Chinese Taipei

A little fragment i saved from Youtube one year ago of the Opening Ceremony of Los Angeles 84. Taiwan march for the first time as Chinese Taipei, to avoid problems from the People's Republic of China that was participating in the games for the first time (also they had to use another fllag, different of the National One, and which they keep using today)

Did you notice that since Los Angeles the boards became standard surrounding the playing area? It does provide decoration and color.

Also I think starting with Seoul, volunteers started to surround the field to shield the athletes, especially when they try to get a closer look at the Olympic torch when it makes its way around the track and not to step outside the boundaries.

Did you notice that since Los Angeles the boards became standard surrounding the playing area? It does provide decoration and color.

Yes, and I'm glad that they have become standard. When I see pictures of the Olympic venues before 1984, they always appear a little bland without those boards. But it's funny that the respective organisers hadn't that idea before. Advertising boards at sports venues (especially soccer stadia) were already in use since the 1950s, I guess. So why didn't they consider advertising the Games' trademark in such form, too?

Also I think starting with Seoul, volunteers started to surround the field to shield the athletes, especially when they try to get a closer look at the Olympic torch when it makes its way around the track and not to step outside the boundaries.

That's true -- I was pretty surprised to see which difficulties Gina Hemphill had to get past the athletes at the LA 1984 torch segment. That incident was probably the main reason for the change.

2)Did the Chinese actually not complain about the flag graphic for Chinese Taipei?

I don't think so. I suppose it was far more important for them that the Taiwanese team didn't compete (and march into the stadium) under its national flag. Maybe they didn't even notice the wrong graphic! ;) At least I didn't.

Also, a curious video of a fan film of the Lillehammer 94 Olympics. If you go to the minute 2:43 you can see a little fragment of the opening ceremony cultural performances (not the vetters as appears in the www.olympic.org vid)

I find the video rather interesting because it shows what a small town Lillehammer actually is. It reminds me a lot of my own home town, a city of 30,000 inhabitants and thus of pretty much the same size as Lillehammer. Isn't it amazing that such a small town managed to organise the best Olympic Winter Games in history? But that tranquility and cosiness was probably the key to Lillehammer's success. I wished that at least the Winter Olympics could be hosted far more often in such smaller cities.

By the way: Isn't there anyone who owns videos of Lillehammer's ceremonies and could upload them on YouTube? That would be perfect!

Two observations:

1)I also notice they did not do multi-lingual announcements in LA>

2)Did the Chinese actually not complain about the flag graphic for Chinese Taipei?

Actually they did do multi-lingual announcements in Los Angeles. I think that is a voice-over in the Greenspan film.

Actually they did do multi-lingual announcements in Los Angeles. I think that is a voice-over in the Greenspan film.

Except during the ceremonies (which is strange).

I have the video of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and annoucements were made in English alone.

Here's a great clip of the Lillehammer torch relay and lighting of the cauldron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1zMTiYKUQo

Is there still noone who could post further clips of the Lillehammer ceremonies? :(

Well, I have only the closing ceremony of Lillehammer 1994. I was stupid not to record the opening of it, when I had the chance.

Well, I have only the closing ceremony of Lillehammer 1994. I was stupid not to record the opening of it, when I had the chance.

Is it possible for you to convert and upload it on YouTube? That would be superb.

Anyway, here are two more clips from Los Angeles 1984, posted by our friend DrunkWithBode:

US team entrance at the opening ceremony

Antwerp Flag handover to Seoul at the closing ceremony

Is it possible for you to convert and upload it on YouTube? That would be superb.

Anyway, here are two more clips from Los Angeles 1984, posted by our friend DrunkWithBode:

US team entrance at the opening ceremony

Antwerp Flag handover to Seoul at the closing ceremony

I have never done anything of the sort before, fearing copyright and how I saw one of the YouTube subscribers got his account "forcibly withdrawn" because of copyright rules. Well, give me a couple of days to try to make it work properly, if I can do it.

I have never done anything of the sort before, fearing copyright and how I saw one of the YouTube subscribers got his account "forcibly withdrawn" because of copyright rules. Well, give me a couple of days to try to make it work properly, if I can do it.

That's true. But obviously, there are still many TV broadcasters who either haven't noticed their clips on YouTube or who even accept them to be posted (since they are also some kind of advertisement for the broadcasters). The YouTube user Ikarus360, for example, has tons of Olympic clips on his channel, partially even since a couple of months -- and obviously without any consequences.

Is your recording from CBC? As you can see here, it's obviously possible to post CBC clips and keep them online for more than a year:

But I'd also understand if that's too risky for you.

Yes, and I'm glad that they have become standard. When I see pictures of the Olympic venues before 1984, they always appear a little bland without those boards. But it's funny that the respective organisers hadn't that idea before. Advertising boards at sports venues (especially soccer stadia) were already in use since the 1950s, I guess. So why didn't they consider advertising the Games' trademark in such form, too?

That's true -- I was pretty surprised to see which difficulties Gina Hemphill had to get past the athletes at the LA 1984 torch segment. That incident was probably the main reason for the change.

The only time advertising was allowed in the Olympics was I think Antwerp with an ad for Coca-Cola along the track. Since then there's an Olympic provision against advertisements at Olympic venues. I too think it's blah to see past Olympics without a fundamental display of decoration.

Another thing I noticed that is related to what we were talking about happens to be with the volunteers now surrounding the stadium's field that, because of what happened to Gina Hemphill, the placards in front of the teams and the flags are now designated at separate points, all assembled together, from each other instead of just staying on the field with the volunteers obscuring the view of them.

Nice to see more of the Parade of Nations, especially the shots of young Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, (all future Dream Teamers), Joe Klein, Karch Kiraly, Sam Perkins, Carl Lewis, and Julianne McNamara. Where was Zaire? It certainly didn't boycott LA 84, and they came after Yugoslavia--good shot of HOFer Drazen Dalipagic carrying the flag. John Phillip Sousa's "Stars And Stripes" was played as the Americans entered as hosts just like 12 years later.

Last time, US TV mentioned a country's size was I think Sydney during Parade of Nations, if not Atlanta.

Couldn't find a shot Cuba Gooding Jr. breakdancing in the 1984 closing ceremony.

That's true. But obviously, there are still many TV broadcasters who either haven't noticed their clips on YouTube or who even accept them to be posted (since they are also some kind of advertisement for the broadcasters). The YouTube user Ikarus360, for example, has tons of Olympic clips on his channel, partially even since a couple of months -- and obviously without any consequences.

Is your recording from CBC? As you can see here, it's obviously possible to post CBC clips and keep them online for more than a year:

But I'd also understand if that's too risky for you.

No. It was its rival network: CTV. In fact, once it broadcasts the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, it will be the first time it has done that, since Lillehammer 1994. Ever since the 1996 Olympic Games, it was the CBC, but that will end after Beijing 2008 is over.

Hiroamorim, the guy who uploaded the Countdown/Man From Snowy River and Advance Australia Fair Sydney 2000 videos on Youtube, just uploaded a really nice video of the Countdown/Welcome to Athens segment.

The most interesting thing about this video is that the camera angles are different from the ones previously uploaded (ikarus360, thanostt). The sound quality is better. The crowd sounds are almost eliminated, and the music is crisp. The video quality is better, too. The flashbulbs from the stands are sparklier and the close-ups of the star drummer are sharper.

I'm guessing that this is from a DVD since there are no correspondent audio commentaries.

Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xd8u5IEixA (Percussion Dialogue)

Hiroamorim also uploaded the full runner video shown on the big screen during the countdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1v5ycBamQw

Hiroamorim, the guy who uploaded the Countdown/Man From Snowy River and Advance Australia Fair Sydney 2000 videos on Youtube, just uploaded a really nice video of the Countdown/Welcome to Athens segment.

The most interesting thing about this video is that the camera angles are different from the ones previously uploaded (ikarus360, thanostt). The sound quality is better. The crowd sounds are almost eliminated, and the music is crisp. The video quality is better, too. The flashbulbs from the stands are sparklier and the close-ups of the star drummer are sharper.

I'm guessing that this is from a DVD since there are no correspondent audio commentaries.

Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xd8u5IEixA (Percussion Dialogue)

Hiroamorim also uploaded the full runner video shown on the big screen during the countdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1v5ycBamQw

Those are great to see from different angles... :)

Having the Olympics shown on different angles and shots, particularly both ceremonies (preshow, countdowns, and all), should be something to show on DVD should the more recent Olympics get released (in a few cases, re-released as a title) on next-gen DVD along with the option to cut off the various commentaries. I'll get to that soon with my dream Olympic DVD wishlist post (something I haven't really finished)...

Here's a video of the taekwondo demonstration at the Seoul 1988 opening ceremony:

By the way, Christos: Didn't you mention that you had clips of Seoul's ceremonies, too?

I don't remember if I did :unsure: but I have some, I'll search

Archived