Chicago Thoughts

Hi everyone, just stumbled across these boards today as I was reading about the Chicago bid. I write about sports in the city at my website Chicagobaseballtalk.com. Today, I have a long post about why Chicago and the Olympics would be a perfect match. If you have a second, I would appreciate any feedback as you all seem pretty informed of the process.

Hi everyone, just stumbled across these boards today as I was reading about the Chicago bid. I write about sports in the city at my website Chicagobaseballtalk.com. Today, I have a long post about why Chicago and the Olympics would be a perfect match. If you have a second, I would appreciate any feedback as you all seem pretty informed of the process.

Welcome to the boards! B) Glad your here - I need some help to fend off some of my San Francisco friends critisisms of Chicagos bid!

I really enjoyed reading your article and couldn't have said it better. The temp stadium idea, while in theory a good one, is going to have to be really something special to pass international scrutiny. As San Francisco appears to be in trouble right now with their plan it is time for Chciago to get off their collective asses and come up with something that says WOW like the 1893 Columbian Exposition did!

BTW - see that my Cubbies are at the bottom of the barrel again. <_< Some things never change :angry:

Guest ChiIn2016

Welcome to the boards. As you can see, I am a bit of a rookie myself, and obviously biased towards Chicago. I am a bit perplexed about the discussions of a temporary stadium being unaccceptable to the IOC and their desired legacy. There is also much talk of the success of the World's Columbian Exhibition, and that was held 113 years ago. New books come out about that 1893 event each year, and only one permanent structure was built for the fair, the Palace of Fine Arts, which is now the Museum of Science and Industry and sits in what is now Jackson Park. That sounds like a pretty good legacy to me.

As long as a temporary stadium fills the needs of the Olympic events, and looks better than row after row of wooded bleachers, I really don't see the problem with it.

Welcome to the boards. As you can see, I am a bit of a rookie myself, and obviously biased towards Chicago. I am a bit perplexed about the discussions of a temporary stadium being unaccceptable to the IOC and their desired legacy. There is also much talk of the success of the World's Columbian Exhibition, and that was held 113 years ago. New books come out about that 1893 event each year, and only one permanent structure was built for the fair, the Palace of Fine Arts, which is now the Museum of Science and Industry and sits in what is now Jackson Park. That sounds like a pretty good legacy to me.

As long as a temporary stadium fills the needs of the Olympic events, and looks better than row after row of wooded bleachers, I really don't see the problem with it.

The problem is that while the IOC has all this rhetoric about wanting the games to be downsized, economical so that all the nations can eventually host them, prefer existing venues, etc. the fact is that that history is showing that they would prefer a country going into debt (Athens) or want all new venues (London) then running a games as Los Angeles was.

You and I understand that Chicago has a long history of making grand plans and seeing them through in a short period of time. The Columbian Exposition and the '33-'34 Worlds Fair, in the midst of the depression, are older examples but the '96 Democratic Convention and Millenium Park are the most current. I think once the international community sees how we do things in Chicago and realize that the temporary stadium will not be some tin can and have a legacy that they will change their minds.

What's wrong with a 'temporary' stadium you say?

My child; my child. In the eyes of the IOC, they like to look back on photos of themselves and see themselves against these glorious surroundings. If you have a gummed-up, thumb-tacked-&-burlap 'stadium' that no longer exists, how would that play in the living rooms of the IOC members when after they've retired and throw cocktail parties at home? How can they impress their guests if such a 'background' no longer exists? Compare that to being seated in the Birds Nest Stadium or the Calatrava remake in Athens; or that Faerie-Queenie* stadium in England. :blink:

That's why.

* after all, it will be Liz II's Diamond Jubilee that year; so the 'queenie' theme is not out of the question!!

My child; my child. In the eyes of the IOC, they like to look back on photos of themselves and see themselves against these glorious surroundings. If you have a gummed-up, thumb-tacked-&-burlap 'stadium' that no longer exists, how would that play in the living rooms of the IOC members when after they've retired and throw cocktail parties at home? How can they impress their guests if such a 'background' no longer exists? Compare that to being seated in the Birds Nest Stadium or the Calatrava remake in Athens; or that Faerie-Queenie* stadium in England. :blink:

That's why.

* after all, it will be Liz II's Diamond Jubilee that year; so the 'queenie' theme is not out of the question!!

Yep - that pretty much says it. Egos are abound in the IOC. Don't believe me - take a look at the Avery Brundage Collection at the San Francisco Asian Museum or whatever the hell that place is called.

Guest ChiIn2016

"What's wrong with a 'temporary' stadium you say?"

Perhaps I used the wrong adjective in "temporary" stadium. "Semi-Permanant" is a much better term. What the hey, the Eiffel Tower was built as a temporary structure too.

That's why.

I think temporary venues are fine. Fine for everything, except the Olympic Stadium. On that point, I would sympathize with the IOC's desire for an iconic landmark. I imagine the IOC knows their desire for both a cheap games and a lasting legacy can conflict.

If I were the IOC I would rate stadiums as follows:

1) New Stadium, Close to Village, Hotels, Mass Transit, and City Landmarks=10

2) Old or Temp Stadium close to village, Hotels, Mass Transit=8

3) New Fabulous stadium in the Boondocks =5

4) Old or Temp stadium in Boondocks (London)=3

So the temp stadium in Chicago is a bit of down grade, but may not kill the bid. Heck, London won with a Temp stadium on the edge of town.

However SF has the POTENTIAL to put up a competition crushing bid. (New Stadium, New Olympic Village, Mass Transit, Near Downtown, Compact footprint, Great Weather, lots of existing venues)

I think temporary venues are fine. Fine for everything, except the Olympic Stadium. On that point, I would sympathize with the IOC's desire for an iconic landmark. I imagine the IOC knows their desire for both a cheap games and a lasting legacy can conflict.

If I were the IOC I would rate stadiums as follows:

1) New Stadium, Close to Village, Hotels, Mass Transit, and City Landmarks=10

2) Old or Temp Stadium close to village, Hotels, Mass Transit=8

3) New Fabulous stadium in the Boondocks =5

4) Old or Temp stadium in Boondocks (London)=3

So the temp stadium in Chicago is a bit of down grade, but may not kill the bid. Heck, London won with a Temp stadium on the edge of town.

However SF has the POTENTIAL to put up a competition crushing bid. (New Stadium, New Olympic Village, Mass Transit, Near Downtown, Compact footprint, Great Weather, lots of existing venues)

The Key words there are POTENTIAL. SF has a lot of red tape to cut through first, and with a new NFL stadium, comes the demand of the NFL and the 49ers, for close proximity to the field, which an athletic track could obviously not accomidate. Also the lack of room in the peninsula of SF, makes Hunter's Point, the only real option besides Palo Alto.

In a perfect world, I think SF would beat local and int'l competition hands down. Unfortunately, some of its key components are a bit shaky -- and I don't know where Mr. Newsom gets his 83% of the venues are in place? But those would not all be SF-centric. Unless they have some tricks up their sleeve that they haven't revealed yet. swimming I guess will still either be in Stanford and/or Santa Clara. Gymanstics will be at the HP Pavilion in San Jose; basketball in Oakland; only T&F will actually be in SF.

We shall see. I think we'll all get a clearer picture when the questionnaires are submitted on Sept 22; and then if the USOC will reveal results soon after that.

In a perfect world, I think SF would beat local and int'l competition hands down. Unfortunately, some of its key components are a bit shaky -- and I don't know where Mr. Newsom gets his 83% of the venues are in place? But those would not all be SF-centric. Unless they have some tricks up their sleeve that they haven't revealed yet. swimming I guess will still either be in Stanford and/or Santa Clara. Gymanstics will be at the HP Pavilion in San Jose; basketball in Oakland; only T&F will actually be in SF.

We shall see. I think we'll all get a clearer picture when the questionnaires are submitted on Sept 22; and then if the USOC will reveal results soon after that.

As long as the village and stadium are in SF proper, I think it should be fine to have other venues around the bay area. At most Olympics the venues are spread out quite a bit, whether they call it different towns or one big metropolis like Greater London. I think sj, the peninsula (Stanford), and the east bay (oakland and UCB) should all get their share of the Games so that we are a metro area of 7 million rather than a city of 780,000 coming together on a bid.

As long as the village and stadium are in SF proper, I think it should be fine to have other venues around the bay area. At most Olympics the venues are spread out quite a bit, whether they call it different towns or one big metropolis like Greater London. I think sj, the peninsula (Stanford), and the east bay (oakland and UCB) should all get their share of the Games so that we are a metro area of 7 million rather than a city of 780,000 coming together on a bid.

I should add something on this. I'm a little worried that Newsome has overlearned the lesson of the failed 2012 bid about it not being SF-centric enough. I don't think NYC won the USOC process because it had a better plan - the 9/11 sympathy factor and the power push from ny seemed to be what carried the day. Having the stadium and village in SF are better than having them at Stanford and in mountain view, and the GG Bridge should gets its moments of glory in the marathons, but apart from that, this should still be a regional bid I would think, with all the major cities and counties in the bay area joining in.

Archived