Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dave199

Fifa U-20 World Cup Canada 2007

Well it's less than a year away before this tournament gets underway. I've never really watched this tournament before but since we are hosting the tournament I'll be attending and watching it on tv. Who else plans on going?

Canada has previously hosted the inaugral 2003 FIFA U-19 Women's World Championships, and plan on bidding for the 2011 Women's World Cup. Hosting this tournament successfully will help the cause in winning the Women's World Cup and possibly a future Men's World Cup sometime in the future.

Have any other GamesBids members watched previous U-20 World Cups? What would you say about them? Plan on watching it next year?

Do the Canadians on this board even know we are hosting this tournament? It's been publicized in Toronto and its surrounding area since the 2006 World Cup Finals ended about a month ago, I don't know about the other regions of the country.

Just to update members who are unaware.

There will be 6 host cities:

Toronto, Ontario

National Soccer Stadium (Currently Under Construction)

Future home to the Canadian National Team, Toronto FC of Major League Soccer (MLS), Toronto Lynx (Soccer) of the USL First Division, and the Canadian National Rugby Team

Capacity: 25,000 upgraded

Rendering:

rendering.jpg

Construction:

1.jpg

6.jpg

-Toronto will host 13 matches at the newly built National Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place.

-Included is the Canada Day Opener with the Canadian Team: Preliminary Round (July 1, 2007)

-Plus Six additional preliminary round matches, in total Seven preliminary round matches

-Two round of 16 matches

-One quarter final match

-One semi final match

-3/4th place match

-Final match

Edmonton, Alberta

Commonwealth Stadium

Capacity: 60,217

edmonton_commonwealth1.jpg

edmonton_commonwealth2.jpg

-Edmonton will host nine matches at the Commonwealth Stadium

-Edmonton will host Team Canada for two of their three preliminary matches

-In total, Edmonton will host five preliminary round matches

-Two round of 16 matches

-One quarter final match

-One semi final match

Ottawa, Ontario

Frank Clair Stadium, Lansdowne Park

Capacity: 28,826

stadium.jpg

-Ottawa will host eight matches at Frank Clair Stadium, Lansdowne Park

-Six preliminary round matches

-One round of 16 match

-One quarter final match

Montreal, Quebec

Olympic Stadium

Capacity: 65,255

olympi01.jpg

montreal_olympic2.jpg

-Montreal will host eight matches at the Olympic Stadium

-One round of 16 match

-One quarter final match

Burnaby, British Columbia

Swangard Stadium

Capacity: Expanded to 10,000

-Burnaby will host seven matches at Swangard Stadium

-One round of 16 match

Swangard Stadium will be expanded to seat over 10,000 fans for this event

Victoria, British Columbia

Royal Athletic Park

Capacity: 10,000

-Victoria will host seven matches at Royal Athletic Park

-One round of 16 match.

FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 Website

Hey, im from Edmonton and everyone here knows about the U-20 World Cup next year, tickets are going pretty fast for an event so far away... there was alot of publicity during the World Cup promoting it, people dressed as referrees would show up at sports pubs and hand out red and yellow cards with all the information on it, it was pretty sweet.

I watched Canada play 3 games in the Netherlands in 2005, Canada has an awesome youth program these days and do fairly well (Quarter-Finals in 2003 losing to Spain in extra-time). The tournament is very exciting and you can't really expect anything since the teams are young and alot of countries who don't make the World Cup regularly manage to qualify and show of some talent... and of course i will be watching all the games in Edmonton, I can't wait especially since 2/3 Canadian group games will be played here... and theres a chance portugal could be coming after they qualified from the UEFA tournament a couple weeks ago.

I CAN'T WAIT!!! This tournament is going to be awesome... I also experienced the U19 Womens Championships... it got so huge that the Canada vs USA final sold out the Commonwealth Stadium... 60,000 tickets sold for a women's youth game was incredible... the weather was bad that day but still about 75%-80% still showed up. Great atmosphere so no doubt it will be equal or better this time around.

QUALIFIED TEAMS... so far

Canada

Spain

Scotland

Czech Republic

Austria

Poland

Portugal

I will maybe get some tickets for some games in Montreal, I remember the only international Football game I ever went to (Canada-Egypt) and the atmosphere wase just incredible! To bad they don't have any games in Halifax, tought...

Right now in the Phase 1 of ticket sales, you can only buy bundels of tickets, with an option of purchasing a finals game ticket as well.

Phase 2 includes individual ticket sales and I'm not sure when that begins

Hey, im from Edmonton and everyone here knows about the U-20 World Cup next year, tickets are going pretty fast for an event so far away... there was alot of publicity during the World Cup promoting it, people dressed as referrees would show up at sports pubs and hand out red and yellow cards with all the information on it, it was pretty sweet.

Yeah, we had those people in Toronto as well. They were in Little Italy after Italy won the World Cup.

By the looks and sounds of things, there's really not that much interest here about this event.

I watched the 2005 edition because it was held in The Netherlands. The games are usually more entertaining than the ones at the real world cup and the level is of play is quite good as well.

Edmonton was pretty much a natural choice here. That's why Calgary didn't really bother to step in to rival it. In any case, Calgary doesn't really have a "real soccer stadium" at all.

Edmonton was pretty much a natural choice here. That's why Calgary didn't really bother to step in to rival it. In any case, Calgary doesn't really have a "real soccer stadium" at all.

Well if Canada ever decided to put forth a bid for a World Cup, I'm sure Calgary will be one of the host cities for sure.

Or, even better, a chance to bid for "the" Men's World Cup.

Or, even better, a chance to bid for "the" Men's World Cup.

Well I think Canada should host a Women's World Cup before it even thinks about bidding for the Men's tournament.

Tickets package are allready on sale for the games in Montreal.

I decided not to buy, but instead live the tournament being involve as a volunteer.

I had a very nice experience as a volunteer for the Swimming World Championship last year. And after that I become involve in few others majors internationnal events held in Montreal.

Well I think Canada should host a Women's World Cup before it even thinks about bidding for the Men's tournament.

Speaking of the Women's World Cup for Canada, the Canadian women's team is one win away from going to China next year:

Link: CBC: Canadian Women Eye World Cup Berth

Speaking of the Women's World Cup for Canada, the Canadian women's team is one win away from going to China next year:

Link: CBC: Canadian Women Eye World Cup Berth

Qualified to go to China 2007:

Link: CBC: Canada Qualifies For Women's World Cup

Getting back to the topic, I have to get the list of the qualified nations for the U-20 World Cup, but the Republic of Congo (with Brazzaville) has qualified for Canada 2007:

BBC: Congo Reach FIFA U-20 World Cup

Getting back to the topic, I have to get the list of the qualified nations for the U-20 World Cup, but the Republic of Congo (with Brazzaville) has qualified for Canada 2007:

BBC: Congo Reach FIFA U-20 World Cup

All right, I have found this very list. These nations, other than host nation Canada, have qualified so far for this World Cup:

Asia (completed):

1. North Korea

2. Japan

3. South Korea

4. Jordan

Note: This is going to get interesting, if the two Koreas here end up going against each other in a match.

Africa (completed):

1. Gambia

2. (Republic of) Congo (Brazzaville)

3. Zambia

4. Nigeria

North America & the Caribbean (still ongoing in qualifying):

1. USA

2. Panama

3. TBA

4. TBA

South America (still ongoing in qualifying):

1. Brazil

2. Uruguay

3. TBA

4. TBA

Europe (completed):

1. Spain

2. Scotland

3. Czech Republic

4. Austria

5. Poland

6. Portugal

Also, the Oceania qualifier has not been determined yet. So, this is the updated list so far.

And Chile is in :)

We had a great second round but at the end, we lost to Paraguay and we get the 3rd/4th place (depends of the Argentina-Uruguay match). We won't be in Beijing but La Roja will be in Canada this year. ;)

Speaking of Beijing, anyone has an idea of when/how the CONCACAF is going to set up the qualification? Could they just send the top 2 North American teams from Canada 2007 to Beijing (like EUFA is douing for the WWC 2007) or will they have another qualifying tournament?

Speaking of Beijing, anyone has an idea of when/how the CONCACAF is going to set up the qualification? Could they just send the top 2 North American teams from Canada 2007 to Beijing (like EUFA is douing for the WWC 2007) or will they have another qualifying tournament?

That will be impossible. In fact, the qualifications for the Beijing 2008 soccer (football) tournament has already started SEPARATELY from Canada 2007. So far, the South American confederation (CONMEBOL) has already completed their Olympic qualifier list. They are Brazil and Argentina. For our Brazilian and Argentinian friends here, it is great that the two teams are on their way to China for Olympic glory. However, the question that has been mentioned by the CBC commentators "over and over again" is this: when is Brazil going to finally win that Olympic gold medal? ;)

As for the other FIFA confederations that needs to qualify their teams to Beijing 2008, this is the number of spots, other than host nation China, alloted for each of them:

1. AFC (Asia) -> 3 spots

2. CAF (Africa) -> 3 spots

3. CONCACAF (North America and the Caribbean) -> 2 spots

4. OFC (Oceania) -> 1 spot

5. UEFA (Europe) -> 4 spots

For more information on this regard, click on the link below to the specific page from the FIFA official website.

Link: Qualifier List For Beijing 2008 Soccer Tournament Page

New Zealand just qualified. Ever since Australia joind the AFC, nz teams have been getting quite alot of experience playing in major international championships. its great!

New Zealand just qualified. Ever since Australia joind the AFC, nz teams have been getting quite alot of experience playing in major international championships. its great!

brilliant news for new zealand!