Celtic-Fc Copenhagen 1-0

G

CSKA Moscow-Hamburg 1-0

Arsenal-Porto 2-0

H

AEK Atene-Anderlecht 1-1

Lille-AC Milan 0-0

just some gossip..

do you know that the Lille-Milan match was previously scheduled in the Stade de France (as Lille's stadium didn't reach UEFA's standards) but due to the Ben Hur stage it has been moved to the Lens' stadium

I should have stayed at home and watched Manchester United on television than go and watch the drivel I paid for.

Which match, Chelsae? Arsenal?

I am shocked, but extremely happy that Bayern beat Inter, in recent years Bayern has had problems against well anyone and everyone in the Champions League, and its nice to see two victories already.

Grimsby Town 1-4 Hartlepool United, after we scored first. Shocking, awful, depressing, useless, shambolic are some of the kinder adjectives I could use to describe it.

A team can't play great, good, or alright all the time, somethimes there needs to be bad, terrible, crappy, abismale, etc.

yesterday results

A

Levski Sofia-Chelsea 1-3

Werder Brema-Barcellona 1-1

B

Inter-Bayern Monaco 0-2

Spartak Mosca-Sporting 1-1

C

Liverpool-Galatasaray 3-2

Bordeaux-Psv Eindhoven 0-1

D

Shakhtar-Olympiacos 2-2

Valencia-Roma 2-1

A team can't play great, good, or alright all the time, somethimes there needs to be bad, terrible, crappy, abismale, etc.

Believe me, as a Grimsby supporter of many years standing I know that only too well. What I can never accept is individual players not putting in the effort that professional footballers should be putting in. I saw too much of that the other night.

Four months ago we were in a promotion playoff at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. We lost there and now we're in a mess. I know it's small beer compared to the likes of Barcelona and Chelsea and most of you reading these ramblings are probably wondering who or where Grimsby are. And sometimes, especially after Tuesday, I wonder why I don't just sit on my backside watching Champions League like so many seem to instead of going to watch Grimsby.

But then you remember what it gives you. I've met some wonderful people following Grimsby all over the country. I think of our little team playing and winning twice at Wembley Stadium in the space of five weeks in 1998. I think of that trip to Cardiff in May and just seeing a sea of black and white. Despite the result, it was a fantastic trip. I think of nights of glamour beating the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham (sorry, Rob) and it reminds you. THIS is why you support the small club. This is why you don't sit on your backside watching a team you claim to support but have never actually seen play live. While it is absolutely gutwrenching to see your team get ripped apart, you also enjoy the elation when you do get that bit of success that little bit more because you've been there through the rough times and not just for the good times.

Keep the Champions League millions. If we ever got to that level, I know I would be surrounded by Johnny-come-latelys who wouldn't have come within a million miles of the place when we were getting beaten 6-0 at Oldham and 8-1 at Hartlepool (I was at both). It may be hard now, but I know that the people who go through the turnstiles are truely loyal Mariners. Our patience is being tested, but it will come good again in the end, sometime, anytime. Please.

UP THE MARINERS!

• 3 weeks later...

Today's Mathches and my predictions

* Group E

Dynamo Kiev Vs Lyon 1-2

Real Madrid Vs Steaua 2-2 * Real hasn't won in Romania since the 60's

* Group F

Celtic Vs Benfica 0-2

Man United Vs Kobenhavn 4-1 * Kobenhavn could be the Thud of this season

* Group G

CSKA Moscow Vs Arsenal 1-3 * I would who will be second in this group after Arsenal

Porto Vs Hamburg 1-0

* Group H

Lillie Vs AEK Athens 2-0 *The French clubs look very strong this season

Anderlecht Vs Milan 0-3

Tonight results

Werder Brema-Levski Sofia 2 - 0

Chelsea-Barcelona 1 - 0

Inter-Spartak Mosca 2 - 1

Sporting-Bayern Monaco 0 - 1

Bordeaux-Liverpool 0 - 1

Galatasaray-Psv Eindhoven 1 - 2

Olympiacos-Roma 0 - 1