Chicago 2016 Transportation Plan

Does anybody know what Chicago's plan is for transporttaion? I was in Chicago this past weekend and the traffic was terrible tryign to get to and from O'Hare(and I'm from L.A. so I know bad traffic). There is one way in and out of O'Hare and the majority of the freeway is 2 lanes plus an express laneand there didn't seem to be much room to widen the freeway. Something would surely have to be done to accomodate the people in for the games so does anybody know Chicago's plan?

Guest ChiIn2016

I assume that you drove into town rather than take the Blue Line train that goes direct from the airport to the Loop and beyond? I live downtown and never drive to the either of the airports. The transit system runs every 10 minutes, and I know that the lines will be upgraded for the games. Express trains are one upgrade that is consistantly being addressed. I am not sure what your traffic hold up was, or what time you were travelling. You may have experienced CUBS baseball traffic, or some of the crowds attending Lollapalooza in Grant Park.

I live in Wisconsin, about an hour from downtown Chicago, and the way I usually go downtown is either I-Pass, Metra from Kenosha, (which I hope wil come to Milwaukee in a few years, and if Chicago wins 2016, it will), or Amtrak, which Barrett and Daley also hope to add high speed to like Ascela.

Traffic from O'Hare must have been really bad when you went, because most of the time, it only takes a half and hour, driving down the Eisenhower to the loop, but if you really don't want to drive, you can always take the CTA blue line downtown.

During the Olympics, I would think the oraganizers would use all 4 airports surrounding Chicago.

Mitchell International- Milwaukee, WI- 1.5 Hours by cars, 1 hour by direct train to the loop

O'Hare- 1/2 by car, 40 mins by CTA

Midway- 20 Mins by car, 30 mins by CTA

Gary/Northern Ind- 45 mins by car, 50 mins by Metra, or North Shore Line

Chicago really has the best transportation in the country, and I really don't see a problem, all cities can get congested, but Chicago has a lot of options avaliable. B)

Does anybody know what Chicago's plan is for transporttaion? I was in Chicago this past weekend and the traffic was terrible tryign to get to and from O'Hare(and I'm from L.A. so I know bad traffic). There is one way in and out of O'Hare and the majority of the freeway is 2 lanes plus an express laneand there didn't seem to be much room to widen the freeway. Something would surely have to be done to accomodate the people in for the games so does anybody know Chicago's plan?

Hmmm - did you take a cab from O'Hare? because it sounds like you went up Irving Park Road instead of the Kennedy which is six lanes plus reversible express lanes. There are actually about 5 ways out of O'Hare depending which way you are going. I can only think of a handful of times in the 20 years I lived there that it took me more than 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to make it to the loop.

Archived