Goteborg 2006

Goteborg 2006 is gone, see you in Barcelona 2010. ;)

Yep, Barcelona will be the next host, and I hope our team can improve and have a good performance at home, like in 1992 :D

barcelona_logoG.gif

BARCELONA 2010 - OFFICIAL WEBPAGE

More than 8 million euros will be spent to renovate the Olympic Stadium, not only because of the 2010 Champs, but also because Barcelona is likely to bid for the 2011 Athletics World Championships. Other cities that have shown interest in hosting the IAAF WC are Madrid and Valencia, which lost to Berlin for the 2009 WC and will surely bid for 2011.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first gold for The Netherlands in 24 years came at the 800 meters today. Bram Som was pushed out of the track by Latvia's Milkevics but still managed to beat the competition. After a Latvian protest claiming Som pushed Milkevics instead of the other way around was wiped of the table by the jury, Som was the last athlete to get his medal this tournament.

The Dutch marathon runners won a bronze medal in the team competition, missing silver by just 10 seconds. Because the marathon's team competition isn't an official event it won't count for the medal table.

All in all a very good day for a country that hasn't really performed anything in athletics since the days of the late Fanny Blankers-Koen.

Something of a final day medal rush for Great Britain with five medals, including gold in the men's sprint relay. But this doesn't disguise the fact that there are fundamental problems within British athletics that cannot be solved overnight.

Of the leading athletes in our team who we would expect to perform, not many did perform to their potential. The medals came mainly from young, up and coming athletes, which does show promise for the future.

Moreover, many of the performances that won medals in Gothenburg will not be close to the required standard in the next two years. So though there have been some promising performances this time round, don't expect a major advance in British athletics any time soon.

Well, these championships aren't completely over yet. The aftermath is still to come...

Bag of suspected drugs seized outside athletes' hotel

According to the online version of Sweden's largest broadsheet Dagens Nyheter, the bag contained bottles, syringes, rubber tubes and phials. Both the bag and the phials bore Russian text.

After the reports of the recent days about Russian female athletes with deep voices and stubbles I'm not surprised that it has come to this. I'm just surprised that there are still dopers who are too stupid to dump their syringes and stuff where nobody can find it -- or at least where nobody can find it so quickly.

Something of a final day medal rush for Great Britain with five medals, including gold in the men's sprint relay. But this doesn't disguise the fact that there are fundamental problems within British athletics that cannot be solved overnight.

Of the leading athletes in our team who we would expect to perform, not many did perform to their potential. The medals came mainly from young, up and coming athletes, which does show promise for the future.

Moreover, many of the performances that won medals in Gothenburg will not be close to the required standard in the next two years. So though there have been some promising performances this time round, don't expect a major advance in British athletics any time soon.

I'd say the same for Italy.. we have the potential but it still exist a wrong relationship between the federation the trainers and the athletes..

and to think that many of the champions who got medals used to train here in Formia

My point was that Italy seem to have a lower base to work from than we do and yet the whinging that there is about the sport here just keeps growing.

How dare you sit there and cast aspersions without a single shred of evidence. Disgraceful!

What a needless comment. At least Italy has won the medals without any suspicion. Not like GB (Chambers, Lewis-Francis, Farah, Maduaka, Lyne,...).

:angry::angry::angry:

Sorry, I realise that other people have let this thread die, but this comment has been making me spit feathers for 3 days! I just couldn't come on before now so my anger has nicely simmered...

Where the hell do you get off raising suspicions about Gb athletes. You have absolutely no proof at all. Just a nasty mind... I take it that you are basing this on the news that 70 athletes have missed 1 doping test? I think it was you that posted a link to that.

I could have come on here and voiced my suspicion of German swimmers recently, but chose not to. Why? Because I think arwebb said it best just recently in that we are all getting highly suspicious of any decent performance of an athlete. Any good performances then we are all getting paranoid that they are taking drugs. This is not a good situation. You should be innocent until proven guilty. Suspicions are not good enough.

Oh and also, my thoughts on German swimmers were not really based on their performances only so to speak, but also the fact that the German Swimming guy had voiced his own suspicions because more German swimmers have missed doping tests than any other nation...

If I had said that to you, you would have jumped down my neck goethe, so STOP being a hypocrite!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

OK, perhaps i should try to defend myself a little bit. :P

First of all i jumped on Arwebbs comment, that Italys medal haul must be "a serious worry". I totally disagree with this comment. Every sportsfan knows, that Italy has the toughest anti-doping-law in Europe. You dont get only a two year ban in Italy, you also face criminal charges by the Italian justice.

So, i think an Italian athlete will be very carefully.

In the rest of Europe (including Germany), there is much talking about a tougher anti-doping-stance, but not much is happening.

Secondly, to the British athletes: I think, we wont disagree about Chambers and Lewis-Francis. Both have failed a doping test in the past. Chambers got his two years ban and Lewis-Francis got a warning.

Maduaka is 32 years old. She ran a new PB. The last time she was so quick was in 1999/2003. Sorry, but i dont believe in Santa Claus anymore.

Lyne and Farah are young athletes, so a new PB can be natural. But a new PB of Lyne nearly 2 sec under the old one, makes her suspicious to me (maybe only me).

Ok, i take Farah off my list.

A different fact about the British team, i dont understand is, why the convicted cheater Linford Christie was a member of the team as a "mentor"?

Thirdly, to the German athletes and the anti doping system: I would not give any guarantee for any single German athlete that he or she is clean. The German NADA has not the resources to control all the German summer and winter (!) athletes. Britta Steffen, the new German "goldfish" has been tested only once this year. I mistrust her.

Please apologize my poor knowledge of the English grammar and tenses. I fear, it wont improve.

I'd say we don't suffer for a lack of talents.. I'd say there's a lake of international experience most of the ita athletes were very young and they joined for the first time an international tournament.. but our real problem is the wrong cooperation between the athletes the coachs and the national federation..

see what happened to Gibilisco.. in spite of being considered one of the greatest talent in pole vault (as Bubka said) he failed noisily in Goteborg.. why? cause serious incomprehensions with his coach, Petrov

that's the the perfect example of what we have to worry about..

OK, perhaps i should try to defend myself a little bit. :P

First of all i jumped on Arwebbs comment, that Italys medal haul must be "a serious worry". I totally disagree with this comment. Every sportsfan knows, that Italy has the toughest anti-doping-law in Europe. You dont get only a two year ban in Italy, you also face criminal charges by the Italian justice.

So, i think an Italian athlete will be very carefully.

In the rest of Europe (including Germany), there is much talking about a tougher anti-doping-stance, but not much is happening.

Secondly, to the British athletes: I think, we wont disagree about Chambers and Lewis-Francis. Both have failed a doping test in the past. Chambers got his two years ban and Lewis-Francis got a warning.

Maduaka is 32 years old. She ran a new PB. The last time she was so quick was in 1999/2003. Sorry, but i dont believe in Santa Claus anymore.

Lyne and Farah are young athletes, so a new PB can be natural. But a new PB of Lyne nearly 2 sec under the old one, makes her suspicious to me (maybe only me).

Ok, i take Farah off my list.

A different fact about the British team, i dont understand is, why the convicted cheater Linford Christie was a member of the team as a "mentor"?

Thirdly, to the German athletes and the anti doping system: I would not give any guarantee for any single German athlete that he or she is clean. The German NADA has not the resources to control all the German summer and winter (!) athletes. Britta Steffen, the new German "goldfish" has been tested only once this year. I mistrust her.

Please apologize my poor knowledge of the English grammar and tenses. I fear, it wont improve.

What I said about the Italian team was absolutely nothing to do with drugs, but to do with the fact that, given they only won three medals at this championship of a comparatively low standard, there is little immediate hopes for the next two years. And, at the same time , many of the British performances which won medals won't be anywhere near good enough come Osaka and Beijing.

As for slurring many British athletes left, right and centre, all you're doing is showing yourself up. You see someone has improved, so you assume they're on something. A pathetic attitude that I usually find from non track and field fans.

Have we gone so far down the road of suspicion and innuendo that any improvement in any athlete's performance can only be put down to foul means? That's a pretty sad indictment if it is.

And as for Linford Christie, can you offer any reasonable explanation why a semi-retired 39 year old would test positive for a substance that has caused so much controversy? Christie had done everything in the sport. Why would he do it at that stage? It does not add up, no matter how you look at it.

And while we're on the subject, let's talk about Grit Breuer and Dieter Baumann to name two disgraced athletes. I'm not casting aspersions on other German athletes. I believe a person is innocent until proven otherwise. It's a shame you don't believe it.

Archived