Jump to content

Rome 2016


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i don't think it would be so obvious USA vs Tokyo. Let me explain some points, which are simply geographical/temporal/cyclical matters, then you all can argue on them:

1)2016 could really be the SouthAmerican turn. I think the only two which can have possibilities are Rio (recently choosen as the candidate by Brazilian Comitee) and BuenosAires (don't think there are official declarations from Argentina). But I think the two have problems. The first with security in the city, the second with money after big argentinian collapse recently.

2)There's London2012, Europe seems done for.

3)There's Beijing2008, Asian Games are not no far away from 2016.

4)Could be a PeongChang2014...how many asians times?

5)No African Cities on the run, maybe international federations of everything are just waiting for SouthAfrica2010 WC to see if they can make it or not.

6)There have been many US Olympics.

7)I don't think many people in the IOC look in a very nice way to US, expecially SouthAmericans and Asians

8)I'm fed up with US Olympics, please IOC be with me! ihihih

On the basis of this, I can't see a real advantage for Tokyo, nor to US. Maybe 2016 race will be based only on the goodness project, not on geographical/cyclic points.

I beleve so. I think so. I hope so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok before the "Europe won't get it" Festival begins I'd like to make some considerations:

1. Europe won't get 2016. ok but if Rome candidacy will receive the support by the whole country and governement it will reach for sure the final list.

2. Rome has yet a new sport city on the stocks and they've just finished to refresh and recover the '60 olympic complex.. so compared to 2004 bid this will be even better! not an irrilevant detail as the other 2016 bids have nothing similar to offer yet!

3. someone said Rome doesn't need to show itself an other time to the IOC cause its fame is highly known.. but, as Paris remarked, even a city like Rome have to demonstrate constantly its value.. even in a close race for Europe like 2016. an additional bid wouldn't do any harm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

even a city like Rome have to demonstrate constantly its value.. even in a close race for Europe like 2016. an additional bid wouldn't do any harm

I'm sure you will find people who would argue that all Rome is succeeding in doing is wasting a lot of money in bidding for 2016 when chances are, at best, limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yesterday the municipal counsil decided unanimously to boost the Rome2016 bid.. but in any case it has to pass throgh the governement and CONI approval to start.

Uhmmm....Rei or Cesco, don't be ridiculous. Since 1952 -- so that's half a century now, the Summer Olympic Games have NOT, repeat, have NOT, returned to the same continent 2x in a row! The SOGs have survived, flourished and prospered with such an arrangement. Why should it suddenly change a winning formula? :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uhmmm....Rei or Cesco, don't be ridiculous. Since 1952 -- so that's half a century now, the Summer Olympic Games have NOT, repeat have NOT, returned to the same continent 2x in a row! The SOGs have survived and flourished with such an arrangement. Why should it suddenly change? :blink:

is time of changes...if one european bid is better than the americans or Tokyo could happens...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uhmmm....Rei or Cesco, don't be ridiculous. Since 1952 -- so that's half a century now, the Summer Olympic Games have NOT, repeat, have NOT, returned to the same continent 2x in a row! The SOGs have survived, flourished and prospered with such an arrangement. Why should it suddenly change a winning formula? :blink:

idiot, who said Rome will win?

everybody here knows there are poor chances for Europe.. I've only pointed out that at moment Rome has the best project bid to offer with 2 olympic complex near to be finished.. that's all!

but there's a lack of real conviction to bid from the other no-euro cities except for Tokyo

the US hesitate to build a stadium and don't enjoy so much international support, South America still can't suffer the effort to host the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

idiot, who said Rome will win?

everybody here knows there are poor chances for Europe.. I've only pointed out that at moment Rome has the best project bid to offer with 2 olympic complex near to be finished.. that's all!

but there's a lack of real conviction to bid from the other no-euro cities except for Tokyo

the US hesitate to build a stadium and don't enjoy so much international support, South America still can't suffer the effort to host the games.

IDIOT -- then why will Rome (& you Italians) bother even bidding? :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IDIOT -- then why will Rome (& you Italians) bother even bidding? :rolleyes:

we are legitimate to bother the extremely unlikely ROTATION, don't we? instead the US, which are expected to win, can't reach agreement on build a stadium or select the area where to place the olympic village.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i simply ask....why!?

Because the Summer Games have not returned to the same continent successively in the last 54 years of the modern Games. If no other continents were bidding, then yes, the Games would, of course, return to the previous continent. But that ain't the case, is it?

I will grant my great-great-grandpap's organization credit in that it upholds the symbol GGGP chose -- the 5 rings, remember? Passing the big prize around? :blink:

Right now, I'd say, without a US bid for certain, a European city might have a 20% chance; and Tokyo is 80%. Actually, look at the present Online Odds for the 2016 derby...

One site's odds for the 2016 Olympics as of 9/15/2006

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Torino 06 I would have thought.

yup

Athens 2004, Torino 2006, London 2012, and a possible 2014 victory all kill Europe's chances for 2016...and Italy is ESPECIALLY stupid having just had Torino....it isn't going to happen, and an already established city like Rome is purely wasting it's time and money bidding for 2016

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yup

Athens 2004, Torino 2006, London 2012, and a possible 2014 victory all kill Europe's chances for 2016...and Italy is ESPECIALLY stupid having just had Torino....it isn't going to happen, and an already established city like Rome is purely wasting it's time and money bidding for 2016

well they must have enough money to spend as the city cash is full lately.

BTW what are you complainig about? Rome won't win, right? it's our problem not your!

WHAT DO YOU WORRY ABOUT? WE are the foolish and WE have no chance.. let us stew in our own juice. RELAX, ENJOY the bid! :rolleyes:

psss.. if Rome will bid the race will be much more interesting than the US-Nippon battle, to the advantage of the final winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rome could certainly throw a spanner in the works between the US and Japan. But if Madrid and possibly Istanbul are there as well, then the small minority of votes that wouldn't go to either of the favourites would be split.

Rome would have a better chance if their bid was the only alternative to the two favourites. Same goes for Madrid. I think these two bids may cancel each other out rather than posing a real threat to the "big two".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...