Rome 2016

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well they must have enough money to spend as the city cash is full lately.

BTW what are you complainig about? Rome won't win, right? it's our problem not your!

WHAT DO YOU WORRY ABOUT? WE are the foolish and WE have no chance.. let us stew in our own juice. RELAX, ENJOY the bid! :rolleyes:

psss.. if Rome will bid the race will be much more interesting than the US-Nippon battle, to the advantage of the final winner.

I'm not worried about anything, but rather sick of you European supporters who can't see past the fact 2016 ain't happening for you....be it Rome, Madrid, or whoever their all dead in the water before the race even starts, and it is unquestionably FOOLISH for them to bid....again not because they are a threat, but because they stand NO CHANCE IN HELL of ever winning...I hope Rome wises up and stays out

I'm not worried about anything, but rather sick of you European supporters who can't see past the fact 2016 ain't happening for you....be it Rome, Madrid, or whoever their all dead in the water before the race even starts, and it is unquestionably FOOLISH for them to bid....again not because they are a threat, but because they stand NO CHANCE IN HELL of ever winning...I hope Rome wises up and stays out

Could not agree more. The world would get sick of going to London in 2012, then Salzburg (i hope) in 2014, then Rome or Madrid in 2016. It is not going to happen, so stop thinking it will.

Could not agree more. The world would get sick of going to London in 2012, then Salzburg (i hope) in 2014, then Rome or Madrid in 2016.

The world? Or just Americans?? ;)

a london salzburg rome olympic games would do just great..attendances at a rome london and salzburg games wouldbe quite substantial and has much potential..however whether this is ideal for the IOC and the movement as a whole is debatable. however whether it should go to the US in 2016 instead is also debatable if Rio, Istanbul or a new frontier would be deemed ready instead...

Id be very careful in making statements like "europe aint getting 2016", once again and ive prob said this before, while we will only be able to tell closer to the time whether or not europe seems to be in the running for 2016, madrid did gain a large amount of votes in 2016, which at the time seemed unexpected, at the end of the day votes count, if the US is unable to lobby well enough to gain the necessary votes then the Games may well return to europe,

as mainad says --- the world would not be sick...perhaps just some americans, if any forumer is truly a proponent of moving the games around the hemispheres and the world then potential southern hemisphere hosts who are capable should certainly be in their favour.

The world? Or just Americans?? ;)

Americans? Well that would certainly include the Central and South Americans; not to mention the Asians and the Oceania/Micronesians. Why, that's more like 3/5ths of the world. Why should they make that trek?

Anyway, I'm fairly confident 2014 and 2016 will not take place in Europe -- so let those Europeans waste their time and money. They do look pretty foolish running for 2016. But hey, it's their money after all.

Europe isn't getting 2016...I don't say that out of my support for a USA 2016 bid, but rather out of facts and the opinion of EVERYONE (except Mo who seems to be in a new denial like the European 2016 suporters) outside and even Europe that agree the Olympics are a GLOBAL event....again whine and shout all you want, ANY European city chosing to bid for 2016 will fail

swolympiad...im not in denial..i just dont think ruling out a european victory for 2016 is wise...it comes down to votes, and while it may be unlikely madrid, rome, etc. could pose a real threat

Rome hasn't decided whether it's back in or not. So, unless they have made some announcement to that end, then I don't consider them even a contender.

And I don't know where all this 'Havana' talk comes from either. I mean their people can barely afford new cars (not that that's the measure or be-all of quality of life), and they're going to host a $2.5 billion extravaganza? Please.

Rome hasn't decided whether it's back in or not. So, unless they have made some announcement to that end, then I don't consider them even a contender.

And I don't know where all this 'Havana' talk comes from either. I mean their people can barely afford new cars (not that that's the measure or be-all of quality of life), and they're going to host a $2.5 billion extravaganza? Please.

I think the only reason why La Haban bids is because its the only international forum where they are allowed to play.

What merits does Cuba has in UN... none, OEA... even less... so the IOC is really the only place where they could show some descent international prescence, even better probably the only place where they are allowed to.

So my guess... they'll keep bidding for as long as they want to, just to tell the world: Hello, here we are! although they know they don't have a chance on winning.

and what if PC gets 2014? asia would have 2008 and 2014--->again 2016??? mmmm questionable!

Precisely. If PC wins 2014, that's going to be a liability for Tokyo. So, from all indications, 2016 should go to a non-European, non-Asian city: therefore, North America?

But then of course, some Mediterraneans here will turn around and say: well, it could turn out otherwise. Yeah, we could all get hit by an asteroid tomorrow -- so there won't be any 2008, 2010, nor 2012 to worry about then? :rolleyes:

And then again, North America will have had 2010. Not as recent as 2014, but still close enough to perhaps raise the same question that is being raised about Europe and Asia.

Personally, I tend to regard the Summer and Winter bidding cycles as separate, but related, processes. Hence, I think Asia hosting 2008 and Europe hosting 2012 is far more significant than who hosts 2010 or 2014.

I tend to agree with SOlympiadsW and Baron that any European city who bids for 2016 is probably barking up the wrong tree. But, were a European city to win (and I know it's a long shot), it would surely rule out any other European hostings for at least the next three summer cycles after that. Similarly, if Tokyo wins, that probably rules Asia out until the 2040s or 2050s.

Whatever the longer-term future, either of those scenarios becoming a reality in 2009 would surely mean 2020 was a North American certainty. And it would also surely open up new frontiers for the two Games after that. So while a European or Asian winner in 2016 might be controversial short-term, it might open up greater long-term possibilities.

Just a thought.

Why don't we cool it on this "Europe Can't get 2016 - Yes We Can" tit-for-tat for a while. Ultimately, the question won't be resolved for another three years anyway. Whether Europe has a chance or not, it's just human nature (especially amongst us passionate Olympics fans) that any of us would latch on to any chance, no matter how remote, to see the games in our home city or country. If a Euro city wants to bid, that's their prerogative _ it might even spice up what at this stage seems a very boring, predictable US-V-Japan race.

Why all the attacking against the Europeans? You guys should welcome more bids for 2016. To be honest, if its Chicago vs. Tokyo it will be quite boring. I want to see an alternative bid city in the race challenging those two. I'd welcome a bid from Rome or Madrid. It's most likely that they will not succeed but it is up to those countries if they want to spend that money to create and put forth a bid for 2016. I don't see this as a reason to attack the 2016 European supporters on this board. Can you blame Italian or Spanish members supporting their bids? You would do the same if you were a citizen of a bidding country.

go on and on all you want (I don't mean that in a nasty way)...either way Europe MOST LIKELY (in the strogest sense of the phrase possible) not going to get 2016, regarldess of 2014 etc. based on what has already been established....anyone who can not see that is either biased or doesn't know anything about the process...or sadly for some a combination of both I guess

In the long run, it's really quite stupid to run if it's obvious there is NO way you are going to win. Not only are you being used by the IOC; but among the strategists and the bookies, you look absolutely foolish. I mean there are certain obvious trends to portend the way an election will most likely go.

Other than that law they passed, I haven't heard much from Istanbul. I mean they should be beating their chest by now if they are going to make a run for 2016. Or maybe they realize things are still too tense in their region and they would be wasting their and the IOC's time?

go on and on all you want (I don't mean that in a nasty way)...either way Europe MOST LIKELY (in the strogest sense of the phrase possible) not going to get 2016, regarldess of 2014 etc. based on what has already been established....anyone who can not see that is either biased or doesn't know anything about the process...or sadly for some a combination of both I guess

It's not so much that people don't recognise that Europe's 2016 chances are slim. Rei, for example, has acknowledged as much. But given the slightest, no matter how remote, chance, who here wouldn't support wholeheartedly any efforts by their hometown to land the games. I mean, I certainly don't harbour any expectations or hopes at all that Sydney would host a games again in my lifetime, but if were to announce tomorrow that it would lobby for 2016, I'd jump straight on the bandwagon no matter how unlikely it would be to succeed. You can't blame people for wanting to see their dreams become reality, and deep down I think most observers here of the 2016 race know the various continents' strengths and weaknesses.

good points roltel. at the end of the day european cities have the choice to enter the race for 2016. and ur romes, madrids will all shortlist. and if they're in the final five or four they're in the race, ..once ure in the race anything can happen.

It's not so much that people don't recognise that Europe's 2016 chances are slim. Rei, for example, has acknowledged as much. But given the slightest, no matter how remote, chance, who here wouldn't support wholeheartedly any efforts by their hometown to land the games. I mean, I certainly don't harbour any expectations or hopes at all that Sydney would host a games again in my lifetime, but if were to announce tomorrow that it would lobby for 2016, I'd jump straight on the bandwagon no matter how unlikely it would be to succeed. You can't blame people for wanting to see their dreams become reality, and deep down I think most observers here of the 2016 race know the various continents' strengths and weaknesses.

exactly.

I think we all would jump on our country's bandwagons. But, we have to be realistic, and I'm not sure that's always been the case for some.

EXACTLY...for some, like roltel it is the case, but others it is just denial that Europe stands as good as chance as anyone or that things could easily go "Europe's way" in the end when it comes down to voting...if you believe that you are gravely mistaken...and again I am not criticizing people supporting bids or about cities bidding...but rather stating a fact that any European city going after 2016 is most likely wasting their time and money

Archived