Fukuoka Is Likely To Take The Lead Over Tokyo.

I don't see them going with Fukuoka....it will go down the same exact path as Osaka for 2008 and all of the other second class cities that have been chosen in lost by past nations....

Exactly. The technical inspection is one thing, but surely the most important thing is who has got the best chance of winning a bid and there's only one winner there.

Exactly. The technical inspection is one thing, but surely the most important thing is who has got the best chance of winning a bid and there's only one winner there.

Shush!! Fukuoka is a well-known international city. Why, everyone in my....household knows about it!! It doesn't have the smog or teeming humanity of Tokyo!!

I am 100% behind Fukuoka's bid. It is a widely known international city with a wonderful cultural. Tokyo is a "been there done that" scenario. :P

I am 100% behind Fukuoka's bid. It is a widely known international city with a wonderful cultural. Tokyo is a "been there done that" scenario. :P

Just shows how the Oly bid game is anything but boring. It wasn't so long ago, after the 2012 race of the glamour cities, conventional wisdom here had 2016 as a sure-fire New York versus Tokyo race. Now it's quite conceivable it could be LA versus Fukuoka versus Monterey versus Hamburg. Don't let the Spaniards know, at this rate Madrid just might have a realistic shot at it!

:o

The trouble is,nobody outside Japan can pronounce "Fukuoka".History shows that the IOC never votes for a city whose name it can't pronounce! :huh:

Therefore Fu-kw-ka (how do you say it again?) can never win and the JOC must bid with Tokyo.

Everyone can say "T-o-k-y-o"! :lol:

Just shows how the Oly bid game is anything but boring. It wasn't so long ago, after the 2012 race of the glamour cities, conventional wisdom here had 2016 as a sure-fire New York versus Tokyo race. Now it's quite conceivable it could be LA versus Fukuoka versus Monterey versus Hamburg. Don't let the Spaniards know, at this rate Madrid just might have a realistic shot at it!

:o

I agree this list of cities really is taking an unexpected turn...it won't be the same race that 2012 race was, and really has a wider door for who can win

The trouble is,nobody outside Japan can pronounce "Fukuoka".History shows that the IOC never votes for a city whose name it can't pronounce! :huh:

Therefore Fu-kw-ka (how do you say it again?) can never win and the JOC must bid with Tokyo.

Everyone can say "T-o-k-y-o"! :lol:

Shaddap! Everyone here can say "Foo-koo-woka." It is the BEST City!! It will win 2016! I will stake my and my great-grandpappy's reputations on it!! :angry:

The JOC would be fools to put forward a big, overcrowded, overly expensive city like Tokyo. Who can afford to eat there? I bet the seaweed sashimi in Fookoowoka is very tasty and affordable!!

Shaddap! Everyone here can say "Foo-koo-woka." It is the BEST City!! It will win 2016! I will stake my and my great-grandpappy's reputations on it!! :angry:

The JOC would be fools to put forward a big, overcrowded, overly expensive city like Tokyo. Who can afford to eat there? I bet the seaweed sashimi in Fookoowoka is very tasty and affordable!!

Methinks ye do protest too much! ;)

Hmmm,why do I get the sneaking suspicion your passionate defence of Fookoo-whatisname is not totally disinterested?? <_<

How will Jacques Rogge pronounce it...

"The Games of the XXXI Olympiad are awarded to F@ck-You-OK-Eh."

NBC would be sure to petition the Japanese government to change the name of the city so that the 2016 Games could be shown on television in America before the watershed without the bad language.

NBC would be sure to petition the Japanese government to change the name of the city so that the 2016 Games could be shown on television in America before the watershed without the bad language.

How would the Brits pronounce "Fukuoka?"

I look at the word and say "Foo-koo-OH-kuh."

For some reason I can imagine a British announcer pronouncing it "Few-koo-OH-kuh" or "Foo-cue-OH-kuh" or even "Few-cue-OH-kuh."

And of course when they would say "Fukuoka Olympics," it would probably come out "Few-koo-OH-kur Olympics." I always wondered why English people insert an "r" between a word that ends in a vowel followed by a word that begins with a vowel.

I'm actually hoping now that Fukuoka gets the Olympics. :) I mentioned it on the other thread, but everyone else is saying that Tokyo should be Japan's bid city, because it's "world-class." But if only "world-class" cities should be allowed to bid for the summer games, wouldn't that just mean "more of the same?' Then does that mean only Tokyo should be Japan's summer games bid all of the time?? Then they'd only be allowed to bid once every 40 years or so?

I live in Fukuoka for many years.

Here in Fukuoka, people pronouce like "Fu-quo-ka".

And if I describe the Japanese word "Fu-quo-ka"...

We can separate it in two words "Fuqu" and "Oka".

"Fuqu" means happy and "Oka" means "hill", so you can call

our city "Happyhill"!! :lol:

Anyway Fuquoka is a dynamic city which can try new projects.

If Olympicgame is held in Fuquoka, they will do a nice job like

the Universiade Games which was held in 1995 in Fuquoka.

Does anybody remember it?

It was the biggest and the most excellent Universiade in its History.

post-1443-1154514914.jpg

Archived