Fukuoka Outpoints Tokyo

It looks like the Tokyo bid may not be odds-on to get the JOC nod to go ahead after all. Just found this in the Yomiuri online:

Tokyo behind in Olympic race

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara is taking the initiative in Tokyo's contest with Fukuoka over the hosting of the Summer Olympics in 2016, despite his city's bid being poorly rated by sporting organizations.

The Japanese Olympic Committee will select the nation's official candidate city in a month's time.

Ishihara, who has so far stayed behind the scenes of the Tokyo campaign, vigorously pushed the Tokyo bid by JOC members during an inspection tour of Tokyo on Sunday.

Some sporting organizations have criticized the Tokyo metropolitan government's bidding committee, saying it did not properly understand their requests--an unexpected setback in the candidacy contest.

On Sunday, Ishihara outlined Tokyo's plans in front of 10 JOC assessment panel members in a Tokyo hotel.

In his opening remarks, the Tokyo governor said: "Once the media have left, I will speak frankly about hosting the Games in Tokyo. I hope we can exchange opinions candidly today."

Afterward, the governor reportedly gave an energetic 20-minute speech promoting the Tokyo campaign, stressing the extensive and effective public transport network, and the city's ability to raise 100 billion yen per year to pay for hosting the event.

Later, the committee traveled to Tachikawa by bus and Ishihara gave members a helicopter tour of areas earmarked for development, should Tokyo's bid be successful, including land earmarked for the main stadium area and athletes' village.

Initially, a Tokyo deputy governor had been scheduled to give the presentation and tour. However, after Tokyo's bid was criticized by several organizations, Ishihara changed his vacation plans to personally explain the advantages of Tokyo to the panel.

The 30 sporting organizations that will decide which city is selected inspected Tokyo and Fukuoka from July 1 through July 19.

An executive of the Japan Clay Target Shooting Association criticized Tokyo's plans to hold the shooting competition at Chuo Pier in Tokyo Bay, saying that the venue did not meet with the International Olympic Committee's standards because of the bay's strong winds.

In the postinspection report, Fukuoka was favored over Tokyo.

Tokyo was seen as being inferior to Fukuoka because, despite planning a new main stadium, it plans to use existing facilities for most competitions, such as Yoyogi National Stadium.

Conversely, Fukuoka plans to host most competitions in new or temporary venues, which would be built on reclaimed land in Hakata Bay.

Tokyo criticized Fukuoka's plan to fund 70 percent of the event by issuing municipal bonds worth about 97 billion yen, especially in light of the city's financial troubles. It also pointed to Fukuoka's problems in trying to negotiate the removal of a motorboat race course from the bay--an area destined to be reclaimed for Olympic renovation.

"Fukuoka's plans are an unrealistic dream," Ishihara said.

"When it comes to human relations, [such as with politicians,]deputy governor or bureau chief level is sometimes not enough. I need to talk personally to the right people," Ishihara said.

The governor's statement indicated his determination to lead Tokyo's campaign to qualify as the candidate city for the Olympic Games.

(Aug. 1, 2006)

Hmmm,Fukuoka over Tokyo? This may play well domestically but how would a Fukuoka bid play out internationally?A technically adept but completely unknown Japanese city as opposed to a famous,world class city like Tokyo!

I get the impression that the JOC is just trying to warn Tokyo not to take anything for granted and to tighten up some loopholes in its technical plan prior to the vote on Aug.30!

As other posters have been pointing out,technical ability is not everything.International profile is crucial also and Fukuoka possesses none while Tokyo has it in spades!

Given the well known failures of cities such as Birmingham and my hometown of Manchester in the UK (twice),I just can't bring myself to believe that the Japanes would want to select Fukuoka over Tokyo!!

Well, Germany did select Leipiz over like 10 other city...

That would be the perfect example as to why Japan should choose Tokyo and not Fukuoka - Leipzig failed to even make the shortlist for 2012 (albeit against strong opposition).

As Mainad has already said, Fukuoka would not have the international support that Tokyo would have - it would be a huge mistake. Of course Tokyo has a few problems at the moment with the location of certain venues, but it is really early days, there's plenty of time to iron out any difficulties - London 2012 scored quite badly in the initial evaluation by the IOC but after reworking a few of their plans it was a different story. As excitement grows in Japan about Tokyo's candidature I'm sure they can put forward some amazing plans.

Manchester and Birmingham failed. London succeeded.

Brisbane dropped early. Sydney won.

Lille didn't make the short list. Paris got on twice and just got edged out by 4 votes to London.

For some countries, the second tier city can't hold the same appeal as the primate cities.

hey guys

what do u guys think about this idea for hosting aquatic events? what are the pro's and con's...i think this venue will also host baseball finals if im not mistaken.

cg_domepool600.jpg

and the olympic stadium...is quite weird being squareish but its pretty cool..of course it wont be the final design but its not bad..

cg_nanotsu1_800.jpg

Hmmm,Fukuoka over Tokyo? This may play well domestically but how would a Fukuoka bid play out internationally?A technically adept but completely unknown Japanese city as opposed to a famous,world class city like Tokyo!

I get the impression that the JOC is just trying to warn Tokyo not to take anything for granted and to tighten up some loopholes in its technical plan prior to the vote on Aug.30!

As other posters have been pointing out,technical ability is not everything.International profile is crucial also and Fukuoka possesses none while Tokyo has it in spades!

Given the well known failures of cities such as Birmingham and my hometown of Manchester in the UK (twice),I just can't bring myself to believe that the Japanes would want to select Fukuoka over Tokyo!!

Going by that logic, then, that means only "world-class cities" should host or bid to host the Summer Olympics. Wouldn't that mean "more of the same," every time, then? So whenever Japan wants to bid for the Summer Games, they should only go with Tokyo?

I like that Germany put forth Leipzig as their candidate city for 2012. Of course the other 2012 European candidates were the really big, more well-known cities, but I would think even the IOC would've wanted to let the Olympics go to an "undiscovered" European city, since everyone seems to think that the IOC wants the summer games to go to "new frontiers."

Go Fukuoka! We on the US West Coast are behind you!! Don't let the big, bad Tokyo badger you in your Olympic dreams.

hey baron

what u really mean? go fukuoka second rate city ..increases the USA's chance of winning the 2016 bid..

hey guys

what do u guys think about this idea for hosting aquatic events? what are the pro's and con's...i think this venue will also host baseball finals if im not mistaken.

cg_domepool600.jpg

Hey, Chicago was first with this "double-stadium" concept! Can't the Japanese think of something new? :lol: But I do like that stadium w/in a stadium idea. Overkill on security; but it does the job!!

and the olympic stadium...is quite weird being squareish but its pretty cool..of course it wont be the final design but its not bad..

cg_nanotsu1_800.jpg

How about a square w/in a circle?

hey baron

what u really mean? go fukuoka second rate city ..increases the USA's chance of winning the 2016 bid..

Read between the lines.

hey guys

cg_domepool600.jpg

I'm wondering why there would need to be all that seating just for aquatic events.

I'm wondering why there would need to be all that seating just for aquatic events.

Ejay, the inner "temporary" stadium doesn't seem to hold that much. Going by that rendering, I would say that's an estimated 8-10,000 seating capacity. Besides, swimming is one of the triumvirate of the Summer Olympic sports that always sell out early.

Also, notice the "practice" pool in the left side of the graphic, beside the Indian teepees. :rolleyes:

hey guys

cg_domepool600.jpg

Why would they want to do that seeing as they already have a perfect swimming venue _ the Marine Messe _ which hosted the FINA World Championships in 2001.

To answer myself, I suppose, one benefit would be for greater audience numbers _ as baron said, swimming is one of the guaranteed sellouts at any games.

Why would they want to do that seeing as they already have a perfect swimming venue _ the Marine Messe _ which hosted the FINA World Championships in 2001.

To answer myself, I suppose, one benefit would be for greater audience numbers _ as baron said, swimming is one of the guaranteed sellouts at any games.

Funny, too, that that would be a 'night' rendering, when we all know that outdoor 'swim' events are never staged at night? :blink:

But I guess, the Japanese have this penchant for 'record-shattering' architecture. Remember the Big Hat in Nagano? How about the WC venue in 2002 with the completely moveable pitch, which slipped in and out of the enclosed stadium? Maybe this is the one stadium that will turn night into day? :blink:

Archived