Beijing Olympic Torch Relay

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CAF if i may answer:

it is "Dimos Pellas". Dimos (in English Demos) is "the people" and in this case it means Municipality of Pella. Pella is a city, the ancient Capital of Macedonia, birthplace of Alexander the Great. Today the city of Pella is part of Nomos Pellas (Prefecture of Pella) and has about 7.500 citizens.

Hi CAF if i may answer:

it is "Dimos Pellas". Dimos (in English Demos) is "the people" and in this case it means Municipality of Pella. Pella is a city, the ancient Capital of Macedonia, birthplace of Alexander the Great. Today the city of Pella is part of Nomos Pellas (Prefecture of Pella) and has about 7.500 citizens.

thanks very much for the answer, savas!!!

:)

LOL - it is funny that I didn't get it myself - Elleniki Dimokratia is "Hellenische Republik" - Republic is the synonym of "power by the people" - therefore I should have got that "Dimos" has something to do with "the people"

"Pellas"- I couldn't see the first letter therefore I thought it could be "Hellas", but after you said that is is "Pellas" I had to recognised that it couldn't had been "Hellas" since in Greek it isn't "Hellas" but "Ellas"...

Of course I know Pellas - the greek mythology was a kind of my pet passions...

Hi CAF if i may answer:

So that's where Pella windows come from. BTW. Pella Windows are very expensive, top-of-the-line windows. So that is actually a compliment.

I agree, I don't see the need to continue these huge international relays. It suited Athens, but now it's all so much same old same old. In suppose the sponsors like it, though (well, it will be interesting to see how much they like it if this relay attracts the type of protests and controversy that's now expected).

One of the few things I like about Athens was that they stopped specifically in cities that were previous hosts. That I have no issue with. But the seeming randomness of this one and going to the top of Everest just seems to me a failed attempt at one-upping Athens.

I'd like to see, If Chicago gets 2016, just stopping at the cities in Canada, Mexico and the U.S. that have hosted.

Meanwhile - back to the protest front. In the continuing saga of the carnival of protesters that are fast at work suing the city for not releasing the route and making protest banners while inhaling copious amounts of BC Bud <_< Ben & Jerrys has sent a convoy to San Francisco to join in the protest.

Unless they are going to be handing out free bowls of Chunky Monkey I am not impressed. <_<

Clicky Here

Actually, T, they try to cover new ground with each new relay. To spread the 'Olympic spirit,; I suppose.

Oh, is that why San Francisco got it? I thought it was because of our large Chinese population but of course, now, the torch isn't going through Chinatown. Makes sense I guess, although you and I know that organizing a San Francisco Olympics would be a bigger nightmare than Montreal and Athens combined.

Apparently Rose Pak (or Pac or however it is you spell her name), the ruler (er, I meant "matriarch" of Chinatown) is not happy these days . . .

Actually, T, they try to cover new ground with each new relay. To spread the 'Olympic spirit,; I suppose.

Personally I like it if between the cities of the torch relay route is a "context" - for London 2012 I could imagine that the relay is e.g. through the Commonwealth countries or through the countries of the EU...

Personally I like it if between the cities of the torch relay route is a "context" - for London 2012 I could imagine that the relay is e.g. through the Commonwealth countries or through the countries of the EU...

I don't think they would necessarily go the CW route, CAF. That's already done with the CWG Queen's baton. So it would be repetitive. As someone suggested, it's either cities w/ Olympic connections, or maybe a heavy Euro emphasis for '12. The whole thing is a big logistical challenge.

Oh, is that why San Francisco got it? I thought it was because of our large Chinese population . .

Certainly that was a factor. Look, it skipped Vancouver (and NYC) and made us the only North American stop. I'm surprised they didn't start in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood :lol: -- then run up to SF.

Certainly that was a factor. Look, it skipped Vancouver (and NYC) and made us the only North American stop. I'm surprised they didn't start in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood :lol: -- then run up to SF.

O.K. THAT would have been awesome :lol:

Are you going to the ceremonies? Frankly, between the Christmas paper wrapped torch and Daly, who IMHO is going beyond protesting and making it an embarrassment on the United States, I am losing interest fast.

I saw Atlanta's go through Chicago. Maybe I'll just wait hoping Chicago gets '16.

Edited by LA84

O.K. THAT would have been awesome :lol:

Are you going to the ceremonies? Frankly, between the Christmas paper wrapped torch and Daly, who IMHO is going beyond protesting and making it an embarrassment on the United States, I am losing interest fast.

I saw Atlanta's go through Chicago. Maybe I'll just wait hoping Chicago gets '16.

I would like to. I emailed Newsom, told him April 9th is my B-day, told him I supported his efforts to make the day as orderly as possibly, even if protestors had to be shot ;) , I would support him if I was able to get an Official place. He replied that he would pass on the request to whomever was in charge.

If I go and see it in the City, it would be the 6th Torch sighting for me: Lake Placid, LA, Barcelona, Atlanta, Salt Lake, and this one. (God, you'd think I'd have better things to do.) I think the greatest photo opps would be at the Golden Gate Bridge.

If it works out, wanna try for lunch?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I would like to. I emailed Newsom, told him April 9th is my B-day, told him I supported his efforts to make the day as orderly as possibly, even if protestors had to be shot ;) , I would support him if I was able to get an Official place. He replied that he would pass on the request to whomever was in charge.

If I go and see it in the City, it would be the 6th Torch sighting for me: Lake Placid, LA, Barcelona, Atlanta, Salt Lake, and this one. (God, you'd think I'd have better things to do.) I think the greatest phot opps would be at the Golden Gate Bridge.

If it works out, wanna try for lunch?

Ask me after Tuesday, when the Board of Supervisors vote on Daly's resolution. If that passes I want nothing to do with it. All that is is grandstanding and as I said, an embarrassment on the United States and I want nothing to do with it. It will be my personal boycott of San Francisco. B) People can protest all they want but I want nothing to do with a Daly proclamation.

Otherwise yea I'd love to see it with you. Your right - there is no way it won't go across the Golden Gate but there is no way I can go over there and make it back to work on a lunch hour. I'll have my people call your people ( is Dickie Pound still serving as your personal secretary?) :lol:

Well today is an interesting day!

I received a confirmation of my acceptance as a torchbearer. I am not too sure who nominated me but I have my feelings as to who may have.

I am excited on one hand for this wonderful experience, but really feel this relay is slightly tarnished because of the Chinese issues. I had the option of filling in a form to advise if I was to forfeit my position, but today decided against it.

I am going to run, but run for the years I have been involved with the Olympics in one way or another - I am going to run for the IOC, for The Olympic Games, and for what I hold true to my heart. When I run I will also think about how much it is wonderful to live in a free country, to have the freedom to travel and the freedom to think without persecution. That is why I will run.

I received a confirmation of my acceptance as a torchbearer. I am not too sure who nominated me but I have my feelings as to who may have.

I am excited on one hand for this wonderful experience, but really feel this relay is slightly tarnished because of the Chinese issues. I had the option of filling in a form to advise if I was to forfeit my position, but today decided against it.

I am going to run, but run for the years I have been involved with the Olympics in one way or another - I am going to run for the IOC, for The Olympic Games, and for what I hold true to my heart. When I run I will also think about how much it is wonderful to live in a free country, to have the freedom to travel and the freedom to think without persecution. That is why I will run.

Congratulations!!!

Of course that is a very "unique" experience, which you won't forget in the rest of your life!!!

The handover ceremony is finished. You can click here for a blow-by-blow account of it!

Have you seen the ceremony on TV or online? Me, I tried to watch the webcast of it on the official website but it isn't working. Then I rushed to the TV scanning CNN, BBC World and Channel NewsAsia for the ceremony. For those who doesn't know the latter, it is a new channel from Singapore, run by Mediacorp Group which enjoys a monopoly on over the air TV in Singapore, and they're the Olympic broadcaster in that country. But when I reached Channel NewsAsia, I saw the ceremony! Live! I tuned in late, but good thing I tuned in just befor the Olympic Flame reached Panathinaiko Stadium.

Huh? Well done NOC!

Congratulations,dont forget to share some pix of your "unique" experience...

:blink:

:blink::blink::huh::huh:

24 foreign medias had been "uninvited", which had "certain acceptances", from the welcome ceremony of the olympic torch on the Tiananmen square!

Mhh - well it seems the situation is getting more and more complicated...

I wonder if among these 24 foreign medias are journalists, who have applied for accreditation by the IOC to cover the Beijing Olympics - if this is the case I wonder how the PR of China can think that the Beijing Olympics will become a success - the success of the Olympic Games is based on the coverage around the world through the media - I suppose a journalist, who was "uninvited" today, won't be very glad about that and will be very critical in August...

Futhermore in the case the IOC denies the accreditation of a journalist, who was just "uninvited", the assumption would be obvious, that the IOC award the accreditation on Chinas wish than I will forcast a disaster for the Beijing Olympics and a disaster for the IOC in the western world...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

The handover ceremony is finished. You can click here for a blow-by-blow account of it!

Thanks for the link, Olymps08. Interesting. The whole ceremony reminded me of the "One Grecian Urn" number from THE MUSIC MAN. (I'll try to find the link late.) :lol:

Anyway, some other observations:

1. The Torch (Relay) idea is the one thing the Nazis got right -- for all its symbolism and the awe it inspires in some of us.

2. What is it with Athens? Another 3/4ths empty stadium!! :blink:

3. Those seats must be the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE ever! Cold marble. Whew.

Edited by baron-pierreIV