• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only city that the torch will pass in latin america is buenos aires ¬¬

I know. I hope the Buenos Airenos are ready to welcome the Torch and sing:

Stand Back, Buenos Aires

Because you oughta know what'cha gonna get in me

Just a little touch of

Just a litte touch of

Just a little touch of star quality!!" B)

Wouldn't it be great if there have been a GPS-signal from the torch and you can follow the relay around the world and in china on a map? Of course this map has to be updated every 15 minutes (or something like this)

They actually did do exactly that for the Queen's Baton relay for the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games:

Using technology to bring the relay to you

The Queen’s Baton Relay harnessed the very latest in digital and other communication technology to enable people across the globe to join the baton on its epic journey to the Opening Ceremony of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games.

The high-tech baton-tracking technology housed in the baton enabled schoolchildren, adults, families and friends to pinpoint the baton’s location via the internet, supported by satellite coverage. The special interactive online baton tracking features included:

baton tracker – using the latest global positioning system technology, the online tracking device could pinpoint the exact location of the baton at anytime and indicated this on an online map of the world which zoomed in to the actual location

baton cam – cameras mounted in the baton transmited video footage of key relay moments to this website.

Now there is a possibility of San Francisco's leg of the torch being shortened after the ACLU has threatened to sue if the city doesn't release the torch route:

Clicky Here

I do hope that the protestors do not raise a ruckus near my palace on the day it enters London. The Countess of Glouchester and Lady Carmen Middleton-Jones are schedule to stop by that day for a rousing game of Bridge with Phillip and I, as well as tea and light refreshments.

It's funny that Queen can't spell Gloucester.

.....and shouldn't you be busy entertaining the Sarkozy's rather than posting on here.

Because of the insident at the lighting ceremony, it looks like that the NOC and the Greek police consider to not allow viewers in the Panathinaiko Stadium at the handover ceremony.

The IOC member in Greece Lambis Nikolaou is upset with the French reporters that insulted the lighting ceremony and the land of Ancient Olympia.

The president of ERT (national television that covered the ceremony) says that when the activists entered the stadium a Chinese official was speaking and transmitting his speach was more important than showing the activists.

------

The general sense in Greece is what the activists did is more that stupid, a real insult to the Greek people. If they want to protest about the human rights in Tibet, there are more proper places and institutions to do it than the lighting of the Olympic Flame. If they have the balls they should do in Beijing, but obviously they don't have them.

It's funny that Queen can't spell Gloucester.

.....and shouldn't you be busy entertaining the Sarkozy's rather than posting on here.

My dear commoner, I regret to inform that your wild assumptions of my inability to spell correctly are quite ill-mannered. I do not input my worldly responses myself. How gauche. I merely dictate to the Royal Secretary my thoughts for typing.

I am so happy the Sarkozy’s are gone. Did you per chance observe the hat Camilla wore to greet them? It looked as though she had run through the woods and leaves became entangled in it.

The general sense in Greece is what the activists did is more that stupid, a real insult to the Greek people. If they want to protest about the human rights in Tibet, there are more proper places and institutions to do it than the lighting of the Olympic Flame. If they have the balls they should do in Beijing, but obviously they don't have them.

I understand why the Greeks should be miffed. But what better oppty than when the Relay starts? This happens only once very 2 years. The next one will be for Vancouver. I mean they're reserving the First Nations protests for that one.

Also, I mean Greece is the birthplace of democracy -- so why hold 2 standards? Why can't other peoples (NOT that I'm taking sides) express their views, in light of the occupation of their homeland, in the cradle of western democracy? Or did we forget the hoplites?

Of course, I also got into some words (via email) with the biggest clown of the SF SUpervisors, Chris Daly, about his efforts to mess up -- as reported by LA84 -- the Torch's one day visit to North America. Ordinarily, I wouldn't take umbrage -- but dang, it's happening on my birthday, so I don't want anything messing up the festivities on April 9!! Any day but my birthday -- or all your firstborns for the next 6 generations will be born with the mark of Cain on their foreheads!!! :angry:

------

If they want to protest about the human rights in Tibet, there are more proper places and institutions to do it than the lighting of the Olympic Flame. If they have the balls they should do in Beijing, but obviously they don't have them.

Quite frankly Pyrros, I was expecting something smarter from you.

What do you know about Reporter Sans Frontière? Do you know for how long they have been campaigning for Tibet?

Do you think members of RSF are welcomed in China?

I didn't particularly enjoy RSF action in Olympia but to state that they don't have balls is ignorance at best, bad faith at worse and disrespectful in any case.

The Olympic torch relay could be scaled down for the London Olympics amid concerns that it has become a magnet for protesters.

Members of the International Olympic Committee are expected to demand that the extravaganza seen this year to launch the Beijing Games is replaced with a much more modest curtain-raiser in four years' time.

They fear that the anti-China protests at the start of the relay in Greece this week will be followed by worse disruption on the torch's four-month journey around the world which includes a stopover in London on 6 April.

The news comes as Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson both told the Evening Standard today that they support the rights of Free Tibet demonstrators to protest in London while the torch is on its way through.

But IOC sources have told the Standard-they, and president Jacques Rogge, fear it is now in danger of damaging the reputation of the Olympic movement.

They fear a grand event before London could be hijacked by other political activists including anti-war protesters.

The Olympic flame for Beijing will be carried 85,000 miles by 21,880 torchbearers through 135 cities..

While there is no suggestion the tradition of taking the flame from the birthplace of the Games in Mount Olympus to the host city will be abandonedthe proposal would be to keep the route largely within the host country.

Such ideas are expected to be raised at the IOC's general assembly before the Beijing Games and they would need to be approved by the IOC's executive board after the Games.

One IOC member said: "We don't know how it is going to pan out this year but it looks like the torch will be used as a symbol of protest. If you keep it within the country hosting the Games then it limits the opportunities and risks." The source added that the relay could become a "nightmare" for sponsors Coca Cola, Samsung and Lenovo.

But the Mayor and Mr Johnson today made clear that demonstrators should be free to protest about China's foreign policy record.

Mr Livingstone said: "I have a long record of supporting Tibet and I have met the Dalai Lama several times. I strongly defend the right to peaceful protest at the torch relay and applications to hold such protests have already been agreed."

Mr Johnson said: "If people feel they want to protest peacefully I support their right to do it.

"Freedom of Speech is a fundamental right we should always defend."

Link

The first part of this article is all very speculative, and I can't see the IOC or London 2012 wanting the next torch relay to be confined to the borders of the host nation, especially a small country like ours.

The last part of the article is more pertinent. We will be seeing protests in London; presumably near Parliament since they had to be applied for in advance. And they have the approval of Livingstone, the mayor of the host city after Beijing. The only remaining question is how big will they be?

Edited by Rob ♪

Link

The first part of this article is all very speculative, and I can't see the IOC or London 2012 wanting the next torch relay to be confined to the borders of the host nation, especially a small country like ours.

The last part of the article is more pertinent. We will be seeing protests in London; presumably near Parliament since they had to be applied for in advance. And they have the approval of Livingstone, the mayor of the host city after Beijing. The only remaining question is how big will they be?

That's exactly what I said 3 days ago.

Maybe it's time to shut down these torch relays. I think they were only good when you had the Games within running distance of Greece. Now everyone's taking them to ridiculous distances.

We really don't have to wait for official word from Lausanne on new developments. You'll hear it from me first.

the flame sits in this torch a lot better then it did for Torino or Athens, I like it

As for protest, go for it, the more the between

as for the London torch relay, I say just do a land rout from Athens to London, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France and the UK, no need for a big long thing across on the continents

as for the London torch relay, I say just do a land rout from Athens to London, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France and the UK, no need for a big long thing across on the continents

I agree, I don't see the need to continue these huge international relays. It suited Athens, but now it's all so much same old same old. In suppose the sponsors like it, though (well, it will be interesting to see how much they like it if this relay attracts the type of protests and controversy that's now expected).

The Hellenic Olympic Comittee decided to change the route of the torch relay in Athens.

So, the flame won't pass from an area that is 'dominated' by anarchists.

Also, when the flame arrives at the Acropolis only cameras from the Greek National TV Broadcaster will be allowed to enter inside the archaelogical area, and no TV crews/photoreporters for other media.