Beijing Olympic Torch Relay

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why they are not starting online torcbearer application? I am contacting every person related to selection of torchbearers but nobody is taking major steps, I sent fax to BOCOG and asked them why selection entities and sponsors are not chosing torchbearers in Pakistan but they replied "thanks your application is underconsideration" 1 month has gone but no consideratble effect has came yet. I wrote letters to associate secretary general of NOC Pakistan and he replied me on phone "son don't worry, we will definatley consider you". but as that conversation was on phone I have no hardcopy proof of his promise, ............... May be only cirketers and celebrties will have the chance to hold Olympic torch under the banner "the selection procedure was free and fair".

I don't know why they are not starting online torcbearer application? I am contacting every person related to selection of torchbearers but nobody is taking major steps, I sent fax to BOCOG and asked them why selection entities and sponsors are not chosing torchbearers in Pakistan but they replied "thanks your application is underconsideration" 1 month has gone but no consideratble effect has came yet. I wrote letters to associate secretary general of NOC Pakistan and he replied me on phone "son don't worry, we will definatley consider you". but as that conversation was on phone I have no hardcopy proof of his promise, ............... May be only cirketers and celebrties will have the chance to hold Olympic torch under the banner "the selection procedure was free and fair".

FYI, in Indonesia, torch bearer are choosen by Samsung (Indonesian torch bearer sponsor) from the list of torch bearer in Indonesia consist of Celebrity and Athletes, Samsung made a list of nominee, then Indonesian people choose from that list, so ordinary person can't be torch bearer in Indonesia

FYI, in Indonesia, torch bearer are choosen by Samsung (Indonesian torch bearer sponsor) from the list of torch bearer in Indonesia consist of Celebrity and Athletes, Samsung made a list of nominee, then Indonesian people choose from that list, so ordinary person can't be torch bearer in Indonesia

It should be conducted among the general public and highlight wide participation and representation of the local community. The Torchbearer Selection Process should be open, fair and transparent.

What is this? just a document? or joke with us? I am gonna send a hot fax-mail to BOCOG.

• 3 weeks later...

After sending faxes, emails, letters and phone calls to NOC Pakistan and BOCOG, I got this nomination letter. But still there will be few steps to complete. I am sharing this news with you becaues I am happy and wish to share my excitment with my Gamesbids friends.

i1255953_DSCI0009.JPG

I had already submitted my application for Torch Relay (Kuala Lumpur) as well.

http://www.samsungtorchbearer.com.my/entry_lib.aspx?id=116

Please support me!!!!!!! :)

Dear I have voted for you,

why you think of this submission?

I like this entry becaues this candidate has a very clear idea about Olympism and he has vast interst in Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. I hope this candidate has sense to enjoy the true meanings of Olympic flame and Beijing 2008. That is why I would like to recommend this candidate for selection as a torchbearer.

Please keep posting about your nomination and further development.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, the torch bearers for theAustralian leg of the relay have been announced:

CANBERRA, Jan 30 AAP - Five-time gold medallist Ian Thorpe and runner Ron Clarke, who lit the Olympic cauldron in Melbourne 52 years ago, head the list of Australians participating in the Beijing torch relay.

Eighty people, including past, present and future Olympians, will take part in the only Australian leg of the relay on April 24 in Canberra.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope announced the names of the 80 torchbearers in Canberra this morning.

Thorpe, Australia's most successful Olympian, described his inclusion as ``a great honour''.

Thorpe won a record nine Olympic medals, including five gold, before his retirement in November 2006.

Other former Olympians taking part include Clarke, who carried the flame around the Melbourne Cricket Ground before lighting the cauldron at the 1956 Games, and Canberra local marathon runner Robert De Castella, who competed at four Olympics.

Current Olympians will be represented by swimmers Jodie Henry and Alice Mills and archery bronze medallist Tim Cuddihy.

Gymnast Daria Joura and rower Elizabeth Patrick will represent future Olympians.

The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) has invited two junior Legatees and two Pierre de Coubertin award winners to carry the flame.

``We have chosen four young people who have demonstrated the Olympic values of fair play and respect,'' AOC vice-president Ron Harvey said.

Ninety-year old Julius (Judy) Patching, who has devoted more than 50 years of his life serving the Olympic movement, will carry the torch to the Australian War Memorial.

``Running with the torch the day before (Anzac Day) strikes a very deep and warm note as far as I am concerned,'' the navy veteran said.

Canberra will be the only Australian destination for the flame in what has become the world's longest Olympic torch relay.

Twenty two thousand torchbearers will carry the flame on its journey from Greece to Beijing for the opening ceremony on August 8.

• 4 weeks later...

Finnally I recicved a letter from NOC Pakistan today, BOCOG has selected me as a torchbearer for the subject Torch relay. I sent back commitment letter to confirm my position. I am feeling happy thats why I want to share this good news with all of you.

Journey of Harmony.

Finnally I recicved a letter from NOC Pakistan today, BOCOG has selected me as a torchbearer for the subject Torch relay. I sent back commitment letter to confirm my position. I am feeling happy thats why I want to share this good news with all of you.

Journey of Harmony.

Congratulations! I know you've been waiting for that good news!!!

Journey of Harmony.

ohh really,zainhasan15?

Congratulations!how could you do that?

don't forget to post some your pix here.haha,we'll wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Some info for those who like the ceremonials:

ATHENS, March 13 AFP - The Olympic flame ritual for this year's Beijing Games torch relay will introduce new elements such as male dancers, live music and a tableau recreating the frieze displays of ancient Greek temples, the ceremony's new choreographer said today.

``Every ceremony is different,'' said Artemis Ignatiou, taking over from longtime head choreographer Maria Hors who retired after 40 years of service.

``Only the first part which is inspired by Greek antiquity remains basically unchanged,'' she said.

``This year we will have six male dancers acting out a scene from the pentathlon'', an ancient Games competition combining race, wrestling, long jump, javelin and discus throw events, she said.

The 30-minute ritual on March 24 will have actresses in the role of ancient Greek priestesses coaxing the Olympic flame into life with the help of a parabolic polished mirror at ancient Olympia, southwestern Greece, where the Games were born in 776 BC.

The new head priestess, actress Maria Nafpliotou, will call on the ancient Greek god of light Apollo to light the flame.

The ceremony will also feature live music with four musicians playing flute, drums and rattles, Ignatiou said.

``Since 2000 when music was first introduced to the ritual it was mostly playback,'' she said.

The Olympic flame will then symbolically cover 1,528 kilometres on Greek soil during a seven-day relay.

Greek taekwondo athlete Alexandros Nikolaidis, a silver medalist at the Athens 2004 Games, will be the first relay runner followed by Luo Xuejuan, China's 2004 Olympics gold medal swimmer.

The flame will be handed over to the Chinese Olympic Committee on March 30 in another ceremony at the all-marble Panathenaic Stadium in Athens, where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896.

Greek organisers also said Thursday that they have set an age limit for future ceremony priestesses with a mind to television audiences.

``The image that goes out is very important...and the younger the priestesses are, the prettier they are,'' said Hellenic Olympic Committee member and IOC vice-president Lambis Nikolaou. The Beijing Olympics open on August 8.

List of Beijing Olympic torchbearers to be released

(BEIJING, March 12) -- The list of torchbearers for the Beijing Olympic Torch Relay is to be published shortly after the candidates' qualifications are confirmed.

The selection of the torchbearers has completed, as China's provinces, the Worldwide Olympic Partners, the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the Chinese Olympic Committee, the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad (BOCOG), the torch relay cities and the related national (regional) Olympic committees have completed thorough organizational and planning work as scheduled, the Beijing Daily reported.

On the Chinese mainland, the torchbearer candidates come from different industries, including model workers, scientists, exceptional entrepreneurs who have made outstanding contributions to the country's socio-economic development, as well as ordinary workers. They represent 56 ethnic groups and range in age from 14 to 93. The list also includes foreigners who have made prominent contributions to China's reform and opening drive; and compatriots from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan as well as overseas Chinese.

To ensure a fair, open and transparent selection process, the organizers have abided by the selection standards and operated through a procedure of personal application, organizational recommendations, panel assessment and public review to choose the most qualified persons for the mission of passing on the Olympic flame.

At present, the confirmation of overseas torchbearers is under way.

List of Beijing Olympic torchbearers to be released

Man, I had not realized how close we were getting until I saw this and saw the date. Ten days to the lighting in Olympia and, what, about two weeks to the start of the international leg?

Good luck to all the bearers. Wish I could be there to watch!

Man, I had not realized how close we were getting until I saw this and saw the date. Ten days to the lighting in Olympia and, what, about two weeks to the start of the international leg?

Thanks your wishes, hope everything in every city goes well.

we just have 9 days to wait...

Amitabha~!

Namo Amita Buddha ...

I am happy that NOC Pakistan has selected me and I have also signed a commitment with BOCOG but why they are creating so much suspence for annoucment on offical website while torch lighting is just one week a head, I don't know how will they send qualification confiration letters, uniform sizing forms and offical uniforms in such a short time to all torchbearers.

I am happy that NOC Pakistan has selected me and I have also signed a commitment with BOCOG but why they are creating so much suspence for annoucment on offical website while torch lighting is just one week a head, I don't know how will they send qualification confiration letters, uniform sizing forms and offical uniforms in such a short time to all torchbearers.

Wow zainhasan15,congratulations once again!

Mar.24 lighting the flame, Apr.16 receiving your city.

we still have many time. When Athens 2004 Relay, torchbearers in Beijing received uniforms just a few days before Olympic flame coming to Beijing.

About qualification confiration letters, uniform sizing forms and offical uniforms, i think that's not things for you to consider. NOC of Pakistan and BOCOG will handle this very well. Dont worry about it.

And dont forget post some great pix of you in your great home country! Share your dream with us...haha

Wow zainhasan15,congratulations once again!

Mar.24 lighting the flame, Apr.16 receiving your city.

we still have many time. When Athens 2004 Relay, torchbearers in Beijing received uniforms just a few days before Olympic flame coming to Beijing.

About qualification confiration letters, uniform sizing forms and offical uniforms, i think that's not things for you to consider. NOC of Pakistan and BOCOG will handle this very well. Dont worry about it.

And dont forget post some great pix of you in your great home country! Share your dream with us...haha

Thank you so much Wen your delightful comments and appreciation made me very happy. I am feeling lucky that there are some people other than my parents who can really understand the true joy of being a torchbearer becaues here in Karachi everyone is unaware of this mega event, when ever i talk to any of my friend or relative about torch relay they ask me"whats this? is this a race?." these type of comments always make me cry, it is hard to explain the abstract meaning of torch relay to every one every time.

i1633798_DSCI0143.JPG

Climbers banned from Everest as China seeks to stop protests on summit

The plans of several international expeditions and dozens of climbers, including some from Britain, to scale the world's highest peak in May and June have been thrown into chaos by China in effect closing the mountain on both sides.

The Chinese are anxious that nothing should disrupt the high point of the run-up to the Beijing Olympic Games in August – the carrying of the Olympic Torch up Everest's slopes as part of its relay procession around the globe, due to take place sometime in the first half of May.

To make sure that nothing does disrupt it, the Chinese closed the mountain's north side in Chinese-occupied Tibet last week. At the weekend came the news that they have persuaded Nepal to close it from the south side also.

The closures are likely to last for about the first 10 days in May, but this is the absolutely crucial time for Everest expeditions seeking the necessary acclimatisation on the mountain's lower slopes – and it means that most if not all expeditions will be impossible. Among the many disappointed climbers will be the veteran British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes, who had hoped to make up for a failure to scale the peak in 2004.

Taking the torch up Everest is likely to prove a publicity coup for China on the grandest international scale. But the current nationalist unrest in Tibet, which led to violent protests in the capital, Lhasa, on Friday, is making the Beijing authorities extremely nervous.

Their anxiety is heightened by the fact that campaigns by Tibetan-independence activists have historically been supported by many climbers and mountaineers. Four American pro-Tibet demonstrators made their way to Everest base camp on the Tibetan side last year and unfurled a banner reading "One World, One Dream, Free Tibet 2008".

China announced the ban on climbing Everest from the Tibetan side on Wednesday in a letter to expedition companies from the China Tibet Mountaineering Association which said: "Concern over climbing activities, crowded climbing routes and increasing environmental pressures will cause potential safety problems in Qomolangma [Everest] areas. We are not able to accept your expedition, so please postpone your climbing." <_<

News of the ban from the southern, Nepalese side came in an announcement from the Nepalese Tourism minister Prithvi Subba Gurung, who said that the closure was in response to a request from China, adding: "This is to prevent some people who could infiltrate and cause trouble during the time when they take the torch to the top."

The ban has thrown the climbing industry into turmoil, with a number of expeditions set to depart next week from the UK. Sir Ranulph, for example, had been set make an attempt at scaling the summit on 15 May. However, the closure will leave no time for his expedition to fix ropes, cache oxygen and acclimatise. The 64-year-old had engaged the aid of the mountain guide and experienced Everest climber Kenton Cool, who had planned to take Sir Ranulph to the Alps in preparation for the Himalyan ascent. "With the mountain completely shut until 10 May our chances of a summit attempt are virtually zero," said Mr Cool. "Hopefully there is still room for negotiation with the authorities. We would only need a few days to stock camps and prepare, so we could still be in with a chance."

Beijing's Vice Mayor, Liu Jingming, who is overseeing Olympic preparations, said: "The torch relay to Mount Everest is a highlight of the whole relay and represents the idea of green Olympics, hi-tech Olympics and people's Olympics."

However, Mr Cool said that the Olympic Games were about competition and the celebration of sporting achievements, adding: "I don't see how closing the world's highest mountain to everyone but yourself is in the spirit of the games."

This year's Olympic Torch relay will begin on 25 March at Olympia, the ancient site of the games in Greece. From there it will travel to Athens and then to Beijing, arriving on 31 March. From Beijing, the torch will be carried by 21,880 torchbearers on a route passing through every continent except Antarctica before returning to China.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...mit-796782.html

Edited by Rob ♪