Beijing Olympic Torch Relay

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have talked about this before, but most of the cauldrons are still around (and function), it would be interesting to ignite every previous cauldron (or replicas of in the case of Atlanta) and than add Beijing to that. Kinda a 'unite' the world thing.

I know that there are going to be multiple flames in China, becase all the stadiums being used for football are fitted with a cauldron.

I think we have talked about this before, but most of the cauldrons are still around (and function), it would be interesting to ignite every previous cauldron (or replicas of in the case of Atlanta) and than add Beijing to that. Kinda a 'unite' the world thing.

I know that there are going to be multiple flames in China, becase all the stadiums being used for football are fitted with a cauldron.

Replica? I was unaware that the cauldron from Atlanta had been demolished. I was told that it was either just left standing out in the parking lot of Turner Field or moved there as the stadium was converted for baseball.

For my money... at the very least, a relay from Olympia to Athens should be included as part of any torch relay before moving on to the host country. Keep it as simple as you can given what it is.

BOCOG now issued a very "precise" press release mentioning that the torch relay route and the torch itself will be presented "in the near future":

BOCOG press release

Oh yes, in the near future? And I expected the route to be announced npt before 2009...

No :lol: , the torch relay & design will be unveiled arround April 26, it's official now. We gotta be more pacient for the moment xD

No :lol: , the torch relay & design will be unveiled arround April 26, it's official now. We gotta be more pacient for the moment xD

From where do you have that info? I haven't found anything on the web mentioning that precise date. And why does BOCOG still talk about "the near future" when a precise date has already been set?

Why they are creating so much suspense :blink: every one is waiting for design and route but they are just releasing news and news, news and views.

BOCOG Pleaseeeeeee...................Pleasee, reveal your designs, otherwise we will make our own torches ;)

Replica? I was unaware that the cauldron from Atlanta had been demolished. I was told that it was either just left standing out in the parking lot of Turner Field or moved there as the stadium was converted for baseball.

For my money... at the very least, a relay from Olympia to Athens should be included as part of any torch relay before moving on to the host country. Keep it as simple as you can given what it is.

He have talked about this before and it was mentioned that Atlanta, Seoul, Moscow and any games before 1928 did not have cauldrons.

Hmmm. The rebel province has fallen into line ....

BEIJING, April 23, 2007 (AFP) - Taiwan has agreed to be included in the Olympic torch relay for the 2008 Games, a senior official in charge of preparing the Beijing Games said Monday.

``Taiwan will be included,'' Wang Wei, the vice president of the Beijing organising committee, told reporters in Beijing.

``You all know that this is a very sensitive matter and needs discussion and I will not go into details. But according to the previous discussion between the two sides, a tentative decision has been made,'' Wang said.

Finally, the story had a good ending. Taiwan acepted to make part on the olympic torch relay. It also has been confirmed that the Everest WILL BE included on the route also.

And now, ladies and gentleman, we are on the week of the unveiling. This thursday, i hope to get a good surprise :rolleyes:

Hmmm, It doesn't seem to be settled yet. Taiwan is denying an agreement has been reached:

BEIJING, April 23, 2007 (AFP) - An official from Taiwan denied Monday that the country had agreed with political rival China to host a leg of the Olympic torch relay, as Beijing prepared to unveil the torch design and relay route.

``In general, both sides agreed that the torch relay can go through Taiwan. As for the details, they are under discussion,'' Wang Wei, the vice president of the Beijing Games organising committee, told reporters.

But a senior Taiwanese official later denied that an agreement had been reached.

``This is not true. Discussions are still going on,'' Liu Teh-hsun, the deputy chairman of Taiwan's policy making body on Chinese matters, the Mainland Affairs Council, told AFP.

Yeah, ''unfortunely'' xD. Taiwan demands that the torch relay route don't put their country like it was part of China territory (Macau, Hong Kong, for example). They want that they appear like a country that has nothing to do with the other one, since they still consider a independent country from territorial China, although this last ones don't accept it.

Anyway, hoping that the things end good. If this get more complex maybe the relay & torch design anouncement could be delayed.

Finally, the story had a good ending. Taiwan acepted to make part on the olympic torch relay. It also has been confirmed that the Everest WILL BE included on the route also.

And now, ladies and gentleman, we are on the week of the unveiling. This thursday, i hope to get a good surprise :rolleyes:

YES DEAR, you are rightt, I am 99% sure that they will unveal design and route on 26th becaues President Rogge is sheduled to leave Beijing after meeting and inspection on 27th April, and BOCOG will offcourse invite him in unvealing ceremony.

only 1 day to goooooooooooooo...............................

Although China is my neighbour and best friend of my country but still I think that torch design will not be magnifesent and shocking becaues they havent presented any breathtaking item before since presentation of logo till today.

I am expecting that Pakistan will be in torch relay route as we have never attend any torch relay on our home-land.

ANYWAYS, BOCOG IS CREATING A LOT OF SUSPENSE...

I really don't know what the big deal is about getting the Torch to Everest. I mean, it's NOT even the highest point on the planet. It's K-2 isn't it; except Everest was the first one scaled by a human. Well, the eagles and the upper atmosphere microbes will protest!! They were first on K-2; why WON'T they be part of the Relay? :blink:

I really don't know what the big deal is about getting the Torch to Everest. I mean, it's NOT even the highest point on the planet. It's K-2 isn't it; except Everest was the first one scaled by a human. Well, the eagles and the upper atmosphere microbes will protest!! They were first on K-2; why WON'T they be part of the Relay? :blink:

Er..no.Last time anyone looked,Everest was still the highest peak on earth.I haven't heard that it has shrunk or that K2 has grown since they were last measured. B)

The World's 14 Highest Mountain Peaks

Er..no.Last time anyone looked,Everest was still the highest peak on earth.I haven't heard that it has shrunk or that K2 has grown since they were last measured. B)

The World's 14 Highest Mountain Peaks

Yeah, Everest's still number one. But there's a possibility that Aconcagua may be surpassed as the Americas number one:

Ojos del Salado versus Aconcagua

Although China is my neighbour and best friend of my country but still I think that torch design will not be magnifesent and shocking becaues they havent presented any breathtaking item before since presentation of logo till today.

I am expecting that Pakistan will be in torch relay route as we have never attend any torch relay on our home-land.

ANYWAYS, BOCOG IS CREATING A LOT OF SUSPENSE...

Mybe you're right.

BOCOG do pay too much attention to the Chinese traditional culture in Olympic design. i have the same feeling too.

Bout torch relay,i think Pakistan and India will be both in. Because these two counties is really important for China in culture and history fields and so on.

Mybe you're right.

BOCOG do pay too much attention to the Chinese traditional culture in Olympic design. i have the same feeling too.

Bout torch relay,i think Pakistan and India will be both in. Because these two counties is really important for China in culture and history fields and so on.

Thanks Xu Wen Ting, lets see what will they show us, are you from China?

I am very excited

So, tomorrow Beijing 2008 will announce all the info for the relay?

Hello Pyrros, you are my best member since beginning of Athens 2004 Olympic games, I am very happy to see you again.

If I am right you were also a lucky torch bearer of Athens relay. LUCKY MAN

Hey If you live in Athens or Greece, can you send me some Olive seeds through Hellenic Post, becaues Olives and Olive trees are exteremely rare in Pakistan, so I wish to grow a tree in my Garden. I will send you postage costs through Draft before your mail.

Keep posting intersting details and messages.

TOMMARO IS A BIG DAY, ATLEAST FOR ME, BECAUES I AM WAITING FOR DESIGNS AND INFORMATION SINCE ANNOUCMENT OF DESIGN PROPOSAL COMPETITION.

Hope to see torch tommaro, but no body is 100% sure,

Well, now it's already April 26 in China, so it will be a matter of hours to see finally the torch design & route. Anyway, with the problems with Taiwan i'm having the felling that something bad will happen (hope not).

What i want is something innovative, that doesn't repeat or copy the previous torchs, something that makes a big jump for the future designs

What i want is something innovative, that doesn't repeat or copy the previous torchs, something that makes a big jump for the future designs

How different can it be? There is still the basic mechanism of a small storage chamber for the gas, a wick etc., etc.. It has to be safe, practical, lightweight, some 10,000 have to be manufactured and shipped to the several hundred stops. I mean, really what more do you want? Try processing all the practical requirements of such a device -- AND then merging it will all the complexities of the Torch Relay, and I don't think you'll get anything much more different.

The 'glass' design of Zainhasan was innovative, but in the long run IMPRACTICAL. If they used actual glass, many hundreds would have broken up, if not by the heat, then in transport -- even before or shortly after they were used. In the end, a material such as glass is HEAVIER -- which is why they always end up with a mainly aluminum torch; PLUS aluminum is more cost efficient.

DON't expect the moon guys. You're setting yourselves up for a big disappointment.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Activists Detained For Anti-Olympics Protest On Mount Everest

Posted 12:44 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

Three Americans and a Tibetan-American were detained on Mount Everest Wednesday as they called for independence for Tibet and protested against the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Games. Three were holding up a banner at a base camp on the Tibetan side of the mountain that read One World, One Dream, Free Tibet 2008. The fourth arrested was the cameraman. One World, One Dream, is the slogan for the 2008 Beijing Games. The group also held up a symbolic torch.

An activist group called Students for a Free Tibet organized the protest.

Hein Verbruggen, head of the International Olympic Committee’s coordination commission for the Beijing Games, answered reporters questions about the protest Wednesday saying “we are certainly going to have more of this (protests). We know that”.

That's the problem with all the suggestions and predictions I'm hearing about the relay _ it seems more like a parade of triumphalism and statememnt of ownership across the likes of Tibet, Taiwan etc than bringingn the flame of Olympism to the masses.

I expect Verbruggen's right _ we ain't seen nothing yet!