Swimming Finals Might Be Held In The Morning

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was all evening finals, wasn't it?

The IOC and FINA are going to disucss NBC's request in September. In swimming, the prelims are always in the morning and finals in the evening.

The IOC and FINA are going to disucss NBC's request in September. In swimming, the prelims are always in the morning and finals in the evening.

yea that is right but i thought that we already had a discussion running on this topic??

I very much hope that NBC doesn't get its request through -- I hate that major sports event shall adjust their schedules to the needs of just one (although pretty important) TV station.

One should be glad that the 8 has such a strong meaning in Chinese culture -- because otherwise, I guess, NBC would have asked for shifting also the opening ceremony from 8:00 pm to the noon.

I very much hope that NBC doesn't get its request through -- I hate that major sports event shall adjust their schedules to the needs of just one (although pretty important) TV station.

One should be glad that the 8 has such a strong meaning in Chinese culture -- because otherwise, I guess, NBC would have asked for shifting also the opening ceremony from 8:00 pm to the noon.

Well the timezone does suck for North Americans where the majority of the IOC's television contract $$$ is coming from.

But I agree that Beijing shouldn't change it's schedule for TV stations. We'll all have to adjust to it even though NBC's Olympic ratings might suffer.

Well, it looks like the athletes are ghoing to mobilise against it!

Athletes want records before ratings!

And they must surely be the final arbiters on the issue.

exactly! it should be the athletes decision because the olympic games are about the athletes

I have no problems getting up at 6 or so to watch swimming or whatever sports there is on the evening. I bloody well got up at 2 to watch rowing and canoe/kayaking in Athens.

But the main issue aren't our viewing habits but the needs of the athletes. And obviously, the athletes oppose finals in the morning.

But the main issue aren't our viewing habits but the needs of the athletes. And obviously, the athletes oppose finals in the morning.

exactly but as Faster pointed out, it doesnt matter what time the events are on true supporters of the games would wake up at any time to watch their favourite events. I remember in athens i woke up at 3:30am to watch Sarah Ulmer win gold in the 3000m individual pursuit!

This is true. But why should Olympic athletes feel that the conditions for producing peak performances are being compromised to suit television audiences?

i found this article on the business.com newsletter that i was sent

TV FEARS IOC HAS DONE NBC DEAL

There is growing concern among broadcasters worldwide that the International Olympic Committee will give in to the demands of US network NBC to change the scheduling of the 2008 Beijing Olympics to suit US prime-time viewing it is exclusively reported in TV Sports Markets.

Some believe that a deal has already been agreed and are suspicious about an unofficial approach by the IOC which invited the European Broadcasting Union and the Japan Consortium to suggest whether they would like particular events moved to suit their prime-time schedules – in compensation for a possible shift of the swimming finals to suit NBC.

The IOC denied that a decision had been made. It said that it would send out a draft schedule to all broadcasters soon. The schedule would then be discussed and finalised at a World Broadcasters Meeting in Beijing in the next few weeks. Broadcasters, the IOC said, would have a “full opportunity to air their concerns”.

What are they going to do for London? Get us to have the finals at 2am so they can show them primetime?

DICK! Ebersol has already hinted that the London Games won't be altered to suit television audiences in the US - “There will be no 100 metres at three a.m.”

It looks like there will be a massive uproar if the IOC bows to the NBC request. The Far East isn't the most convenient time zone for Europe either, however, the scheduling of the Games should be for the benefit of the local population - it's their Games! Seoul '88 saw a huge amount of rescheduling for the US in both track and field and other events - this resulted in major events being staged before half empty venues, much to the embarrassment of the Koreans, and empty seats don't add to the atmosphere for the athletes competing and don't translate very well onto the television screen. Not having the major finals in their traditional evening slots could potentially spoil the 2008 Games for many spectators in China, the athletes and those watching on television around the world - including the US.

The IOC were keen to stress during the 2012 campaign that the athletes needs should be central the bids - I hope they listen to the athletes for the 2008 Games.

DICK! Ebersol has already hinted that the London Games won't be altered to suit television audiences in the US - “There will be no 100 metres at three a.m.”

It looks like there will be a massive uproar if the IOC bows to the NBC request. The Far East isn't the most convenient time zone for Europe either, however, the scheduling of the Games should be for the benefit of the local population - it's their Games! Seoul '88 saw a huge amount of rescheduling for the US in both track and field and other events - this resulted in major events being staged before half empty venues, much to the embarrassment of the Koreans, and empty seats don't add to the atmosphere for the athletes competing and don't translate very well onto the television screen. Not having the major finals in their traditional evening slots could potentially spoil the 2008 Games for many spectators in China, the athletes and those watching on television around the world - including the US.

The IOC were keen to stress during the 2012 campaign that the athletes needs should be central the bids - I hope they listen to the athletes for the 2008 Games.

i agree with you and as i have already stated the games are for the athletes