Hong Kong In The Olympic Family

Since Hong Kong is a part of China now, what's the status of their NOC? They are allowed to participate in the Games under their own flag. Is there a time limit for this? Do they have to participate under China's flag and NOC in the future?

Since Hong Kong is a part of China now, what's the status of their NOC? They are allowed to participate in the Games under their own flag. Is there a time limit for this? Do they have to participate under China's flag and NOC in the future?

It'll probably stay there for awhile -- much like there are the Puerto Rican, Guamanian, US Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas IOCs -- really should all fold under the USOC. THe IOC is more proficient at accepting new NOCs than streamlining the old ones and getting rid of duplicative NOCs.

Hong Kong is still in the "one country, two systems" agreement until 2047 (50 years after the handover from the UK), and should have their NOC until at least then (although you could say that Hong Kong should have been represented under the British Olympic Association, which I assume they weren't - correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe Macau is under a similar agreement, however their NOC is an "honourary" member (they can't send a team). This is at least what a friend of mine from Macau told me, and he knows the Vice President of their NOC. However, I have noticed that the IPC aknowledges the Macau NPC. I have also noticed that the Macau NPC has sign up to the WADA code, whereas the Macau NOC hasn't. I have my suspicions...

It'll probably stay there for awhile -- much like there are the Puerto Rican, Guamanian, US Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas IOCs -- really should all fold under the USOC. THe IOC is more proficient at accepting new NOCs than streamlining the old ones and getting rid of duplicative NOCs.

i think hong kong will stay indefinately or at least until 2047

Macau and the Northern Marianas Islands aren ´t members of IOC.

Hong Kong is member since 1951 and for China is not problem that continues in IOC,like Taiwan ("Chinese Taipei"),they say "three NOCs,one nation".

In 1991 IOC changed their rules and didn´t accept no-indepent states since then (like Macau,Gibraltar,Niue,Tokelau,etc...)

post-1307-1154425061.jpg

Macau and the Northern Marianas Islands aren ´t members of IOC.

Hong Kong is member since 1951 and for China is not problem that continues in IOC,like Taiwan ("Chinese Taipei"),they say "three NOCs,one nation".

In 1991 IOC changed their rules and didn´t accept no-indepent states since then (like Macau,Gibraltar,Niue,Tokelau,etc...)

Macau do have their own National Olympic Committee, though they can't send a team. They are not a "full" member. I suspect this is because they did not sign the WADA code (though I maybe wrong on this).

Macau do have their own National Olympic Committee, though they can't send a team. They are not a "full" member. I suspect this is because they did not sign the WADA code (though I maybe wrong on this).

is not member of IOC because isn´t a independent state

is not member of IOC because isn´t a independent state

Well, nuto, I just checked the IOC website. Macau and the Marianas do NOT have recognized NOC's, but the following are:

- British Virgin Islands

- Guam

- Netherlands Antilles

- Puerto Rico

- Virgin Islands (I guess they dropped U.S.)

None of those are independent, sovereign states. Guam & PR are Commonwealths. British V.I. is still a UK colony. N.A. are a so-called 'autonomous' part of the Netherlands. And the Virgin Islands are U.S. Territory. So, the IOC is really quirky in this respect.

Well, nuto, I just checked the IOC website. Macau and the Marianas do NOT have recognized NOC's, but the following are:

- British Virgin Islands

- Guam

- Netherlands Antilles

- Puerto Rico

- Virgin Islands (I guess they dropped U.S.)

None of those are independent, sovereign states. Guam & PR are Commonwealths. British V.I. is still a UK colony. N.A. are a so-called 'autonomous' part of the Netherlands. And the Virgin Islands are U.S. Territory. So, the IOC is really quirky in this respect.

all they are IOC members BEFORE 1991,since then only indepedent states can be IOC members...

post-1307-1154460742.jpg

Archived