Could The Us Boycot 2016 If Europe Gets It?

Absolutely not. I seriously doubt that even the USOC cares that much about receiving the 2016 bid, and the American public certainly does not. This would NEVER happen, but if it did, just imagine the uproar that would result from the USOC having to justify such an obviously petty protest to its own athletes. And there would definitely be government intervention to all but force the USOC to send a team.

But again, the odds of this happening are basically the same as the odds of the IOC giving the 2016 games to Antarctica. Unless the US is in an ongoing war with the host city/country, the US isn't boycotting any Olympics.

seriously.. could it happen?

it seems like USA (at least its rapresentatives here) won't accept a defeat by Europe cause the continental rotation.. just imagine a possible reaction.. :unsure:

Huh? Maybe Istanbul or Paris; but the U.S.? The US may NOT even bid for it -- so what even made you think it? :rolleyes:

It's not like the US lives or dies whether it gets an Olympic Games or not. I mean, in the last 26 years, 2 summers and 2 Winters -- how many countries can claim that? And the one time the US boycotted was because of political reasons not because of anything so mundane as not getting the hosting duties. We're used to it. Remember, the IOC rejected Detroit, what 6x? LA - 2x? Besides, we get a good haul of medals in the Summer, so why should we boycott? :rolleyes:

Huh? Maybe Istanbul or Paris; but the U.S.? The US may NOT even bid for it -- so what even made you think it? :rolleyes:

It's not like the US lives or dies whether it gets an Olympic Games or not. I mean, in the last 26 years, 2 summers and 2 Winters -- how many countries can claim that? And the one time the US boycotted was because of political reasons not because of anything so mundane as not getting the hosting duties. We're used to it. Remember, the IOC rejected Detroit, what 6x? LA - 2x? Besides, we get a good haul of medals in the Summer, so why should we boycott? :rolleyes:

yea that is exctly right! I think it is stupid to even suggest that the US will boycott if europe won the 2016 games

Honestly, I'm shocked that this thread even exists. I don't recall coming across any posts that suggested it was the United States' God-given right to host in 2016. Everybody knows that continental rotation is more of a tendency than a hard and fast rule. The US has no claim to 2016. One might justifiably argue that having hosted so many times in the past we ought to take a breather. Peter Ueberroth has also made it quite clear that his number one priority is mending international relations. A boycott is absolutely out of the question. I think we've all learned from the mistakes of 1980 and I doubt the US will ever repeat them.

till the day I posted it, the comments (mostly american) to a possible eropean bid were:

No way!

that would be ridicolous

I'm tired of Europe..

quite foolish

too soon after Athens, Torino and London bla bla bla.......

ok they won't boycot it but there's the risk that the share could decreae in the US as they get used to host the games in 12 years time.. a defeat in 2016 would be heavy to endure :rolleyes:

till the day I posted it, the comments (mostly american) to a possible eropean bid were:

No way!

that would be ridicolous

I'm tired of Europe..

quite foolish

ok they won't boycot it but there's the risk that the share could decreae in the US as they get used to host the games in 12 years time.. a defeat in 2016 would be heavy to endure :rolleyes:

if you don't like people's repsonses then don't post garbage threads that are completely off the wall

and yea Europe 2016 isn't happening

if you don't like people's repsonses then don't post garbage threads that are completely off the w

the problem is you don't like any euro bid for 2016.. it's not like I'm against the american bids on the contrary I personally support SF and Chicago and I think America continue being the best host for any olympic games..

To be honest, he would have a point if he'd said that. Why should Europe host back to back Games? There is little or no point in European cities bidding for 2016, because they have no realistic chance of winning. Simple as that.

the problem is you don't like any euro bid for 2016.. it's not like I'm against the american bids on the contrary I personally support SF and Chicago and I think America continue being the best host for any olympic games..

but what does me saying this thread is ridiculous (along with many other posters who are NOT from the USA) have to do with anything....your thread topic was off the wall and ridiculous regardless, and on top of that saying Europe stands allmost no chance at getting 2016 really is legitimate given the USA, Japan, SA, etc. will all likely have bids in the race....if you don't see that your dreaming

No way!

that would be ridicolous

I'm tired of Europe..

quite foolish

I don't think many people have much personally against a European hosting _ it's just more a matter than on any realistic assessment of the 2016 race, any European city would start off at a disadvantage because of London 2012. It's not impossible, just unlikely, and most European NOCs seem to recognise tbhis themselves.

And if the US doesn't win 2016, well, I'm sure it would be a disappointment for some people but it's not going to lead to a big backlash against the games in the US. By far the majority of Americans probably don't even realise their country is considering a bid for the games _ it's only fanatics like us who are following the process so closely. If they lose, the USOC and the US in general will just pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and reassess their chances for another future bid and try for the games again when the time seems right.

No way!

that would be ridicolous

I'm tired of Europe..

quite foolish

Rei, you're really not making any sense. And you're confusing dismissing a bid's chances to...I don't know -- I just can't figure out where you're coming from in this one, Rei.

Archived