Serie A Scandal Comes To An End

tonight the sport federal court will emit the final sentences about the Serie A scandal..

some rumours say Juve in B with 15 penalization points, Lazio and Fiorentina in A with some points of penalization, Milan in A

UEFA has postponed tomorrow (expected for today) the presentation of the eruopean teams to the uefa cups to allow the Italian teams to join the Uefa Cup and the Champions league.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we are

Juventus FC

Serie B with 17 penalization points; 3 days of disqualification

2 italian champion leagues revoked

Milan FC

Serie A with 8 penalization points in 2006/2007 season

30 penalization points in 2005/2006 season

Milan will join the preliminaries of Chamions League

Fiorentina

Seria A; -19 points of penalization in 2006/2007 season

Lazio-30 points in 2005/2006 season

Serie A; -11 points in 2006/2007

5 years of inhibition for the former Juve executives, Moggi and Giraudo

4 years of inhibition for referee De Santis

3 years for Fiorentina executive Della Valle

2 years half for Lazio executive, Lotito

9 months for Milan executive, Galliani

I'm not surprised by this, but on what grounds have these punishments been reduced? I did think the 30 point deduction for Juventus seemed like a lot and I wondered at the time (as I still do) whether the judge handed out such a big deduction becuase he knew the clubs would win their appeals.

I may wrong but it seems you guys hoped that some of the most important italian teams would have been destroyed letting the field free to your national teams for the race to the euro cups..

it would have been wrong a strong penalization only cause the behaviour of a bunch of executives and a corrupted referee..

Actually Rei, it's more about justice being served. Don't suddenly start getting a chip on your shoulder. I think most people here would agree that this has all been a farce... It has nothing to do with not wanting certain Italian clubs in the Champions League

I may wrong but it seems you guys hoped that some of the most important italian teams would have been destroyed letting the field free to your national teams for the race to the euro cups..

it would have been wrong a strong penalization only cause the behaviour of a bunch of executives and a corrupted referee..

Just out of interest Rei, who do you support?

Actually Rei, it's more about justice being served. Don't suddenly start getting a chip on your shoulder. I think most people here would agree that this has all been a farce... It has nothing to do with not wanting certain Italian clubs in the Champions League

let me remember you how the story developped:

starting with the phone interceptions, all the italian istitutions were the first to condemn these facts threating relagations and cups revoked for Juventus..

yuo know we are the first to criticize us enlarging the facts emphatically.. so all the international medias joined this trand and the italian league was literally attacked..

at this point the federal court hobstinated to punish without strong proves but only suppositions.. and that's not exactly what I call "justice"..

they will even judge without listen the defence.. that's not reasonable

then the court goes back to its sense and realized that the first requests were too strong and unfair

for me justice has been served fairly

Just out of interest Rei, who do you support?

I support the good sense

Don't suddenly start getting a chip on your shoulder

I've serious reasons to be suspicious as the precedents insults by some members here.. I'm sorry if you filled in question it wasn't referred to you

I'm sorry, but this is a farce. Anyone with a brain could see the punishments were going to be reduced. Now, two of the clubs are still not satisfied and are threatening to disrupt the start of the new season by taking this through the courts. If I were connected with any of the clubs concerned, I would be thanking my lucky stars that the punishments are as limited as they are.

Be realistic, Rei. An eight point deduction and permission to enter the Champions League qualifiers for Milan? That is not a punishment, merely an inconvienience. Lazio should at least finish mid-table and I would still expect Fiorentina to avoid relegation. Juventus could well come straight back up in one season and be back in the Champions League in two. Does that punishment really fit the crime? I really don't think it does.

I'm sorry, but this is a farce. Anyone with a brain could see the punishments were going to be reduced. Now, two of the clubs are still not satisfied and are threatening to disrupt the start of the new season by taking this through the courts. If I were connected with any of the clubs concerned, I would be thanking my lucky stars that the punishments are as limited as they are.

Be realistic, Rei. An eight point deduction and permission to enter the Champions League qualifiers for Milan? That is not a punishment, merely an inconvienience. Lazio should at least finish mid-table and I would still expect Fiorentina to avoid relegation. Juventus could well come straight back up in one season and be back in the Champions League in two. Does that punishment really fit the crime? I really don't think it does.

I agree wholeheartedly. Those clubs are just too well known, powerful, and popular worldwide (with Italy as a nation being a very significant power player and market in world soccer) to be slapped with a heavier punishment that they all deserve for the scandal. Though I think mandating that Juventus give up the Scudetto and relegating Lazio and Fiorentina to the lower divisions (Serie C) with the Old Lady is more appropriate. Everything will turn out OK for them ultimately.

Well this scandal made many believe that Italian football was rife with corruption. The first verdicts - which were perfectly adequate - gave the impression that this corruption was not something that would be tolerated, and gave some prestige back to the Italian football leagues.

The verdicts after the appeals show that Italian football IS rife with corruption and it may not end here.

Archived