Cities Cut-official

About 4hrs ago, the USOC announced at least one city has been cut, and the next round cities will be announced to the public at 3:30 P.M CDT from Denver, Colorado.

Also at the press conference, MUCH greater detail will be given to the public about the US 2016 plans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4068576.html

On Wednesday, 6/26. Sorry didn't put that date down

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston gave little to no indication as to what they would do. All that was said from George DeMontrand and co. was that they had a better plan this time around. Apparently not. I was skeptical as soon as the city anounced DeMontrand would be on board again for a run at 2016. Never have been a huge Drayton MacClaine fan either. Not much was heard out of the Philly camp either.

Houston gave little to no indication as to what they would do. All that was said from George DeMontrand and co. was that they had a better plan this time around. Apparently not. I was skeptical as soon as the city anounced DeMontrand would be on board again for a run at 2016. Never have been a huge Drayton MacClaine fan either. Not much was heard out of the Philly camp either.

The Houston bid leaders are not obliged to tell the public what their plans are. Just because we don't know, doesn't mean the USOC doesn't know.

I think Houston will be eliminated not for that reason, but for lack of international appeal.

The Houston bid leaders are not obliged to tell the public what their plans are. Just because we don't know, doesn't mean the USOC doesn't know.

That's been my feeling all along. In fact, the USOC has even encouraged the cities to keep hush-hush about their bid plans.

That's why I found it funny, some of the discussions on here about SF and Chicago; those two were the only cities that had anything on the news about their bid plans, yet some people on these boards were already saying things like "I think Chicago has the best bid" and then after SF had something in the news, "Now I think SF has a really good shot at hosting." Hehe I'm sure if Houston had put out some info on the news about their bid, then some people would be saying "Now I think Houston might be on the shortlist."

Well, we'll all find out tomorrow.

That's been my feeling all along. In fact, the USOC has even encouraged the cities to keep hush-hush about their bid plans.

That's exactly what the people running the Philly bid have been doing all along, keeping things quiet and not revealing any important details until need be. Which is why there's a specific lack of detail on the Philly bid.

Yeah, a lot of assumptions are made based on past bid efforts and existing and planned facilities. The USOC keeps saying they aren't even sure if they are going to forward a bid at all.

One can't get too excited about any of the remaining candidate cities until next year. The USOC realizes that they need to do more than find a city with the potential for hosting a great 2016:

Interesting read from today's USA Today:

USOC Working To Improve It's Image

I think that only San Francisco and NYC would have good chances if they put forward a bid as they will have to fight many international appealing cities like Berlin, Rome, Rio and other possible bidders. Chicago is also an option, though I'm not a fan of a two-stadium-concept and I don't think the IOC will be too. But that could easily change in the next phase

Chicago is also an option, though I'm not a fan of a two-stadium-concept and I don't think the IOC will be too. But that could easily change in the next phase

The 2-stadium concept is really just an early faux pas of the Chicago team. No harm; no foul. It's not like it's going to joepardize the Chicago bid. They just opened their mouth too soon before looking at its feasibility. Let's say, they got a little carried away.

Unlikely that it will get indepth coverage in the mainstream media...just a side story.

As for Chicago's early "plans" - or any plans at this stage - they are likely to change numerous times before any final bid is submitted and then change numerous times before any concrete is poured. The IOC is pretty good at telling bidding cities what they like and don't like, what works and what doesn't work. And they sometimes can be surprisingly flexible. Remember last year that when NYC's Manhattan stadium fell through, they allowed them a chance to submit a revised stadium proposal - some organizations would have flat out rejected NYC for bureaucratic reasons.

WBBM 780 radio in Chicago just broke in with a breaking news report (2:50 PM CT) that they have learned from "sources" that Houston and Philly have been eliminated from contention and that the USOC will announce Chicago, Los Angeles and SF are still in the running...not really a surprise to everybody here...

Here's hoping for Chicago 2016 B)

Archived