The Latest From Vancouver............

ya, um don't cry. it was blowing snow (i admit, DRY snow) for the past 3 days in kelowna. temperature outside my house: -14. and i'm by the lake. so it's warmer than say, the university. and if that isn't enough, there are 30-40km/h winds. yay wind chill of -26.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it will be worst with the Canada Line. Trains might be running slightly off schedule, but the trains are really short. Lots of ppl (especially snowy days) will croud around transit, especially Rapid Transit. So platforms will be packed (just like today =p).

IT'S FREEZING TMR. -10 CEL. AND VANCOUVER IS NOT USED TO NEGATIVE NUMBERS! AHHHHH!

too true.

This makes me laugh. You guys are hosting a winter Olympics, and you can't handle ONE snow storm!!

We get snow once or twice a year and the city has 33 snow plows and salt trucks. In comparisson, Toronto has more than 600 snow plows and salt trucks.

nd add in that we're not used to driving in snow.

This makes me laugh. You guys are hosting a winter Olympics, and you can't handle ONE snow storm!!

Don't you know we are the warmest city to ever host the Winter Olympics?

Snow storm = chaos in Vancouver. Normally, there is snow but only 4 cm. It's more like 20 cm. this time. The last time this happened I think was like 1980's.

AND IT'S FREEZING COLD OUTSIDE, WIND CHILL IS LIKE -20 RIGHT NOW. AND WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL?!!!!!

Snow storm = chaos in Vancouver. Normally, there is snow but only 4 cm. It's more like 20 cm. this time. The last time this happened I think was like 1980's.

AND IT'S FREEZING COLD OUTSIDE, WIND CHILL IS LIKE -20 RIGHT NOW. AND WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL?!!!!!

Relax, I was just having some fun. I realize Vancouver is not used to heavy snowfalls and cold temperatures. Anyways, here is Southern Ontario, we are expecting a high of +16 today!!

That will depend on how cooperative the Vancouver and Whistler area weather forecasts are going to be, when the 2010 Winter Olympics begin. When Calgary had its 1988 Winter Olympics, it started cold enough, but the chinook winds kept on giving the organizers problems when it came to the alpine and ski-jumping events, as examples. By the time those Games were over, the city was well in the positive temperatures. A stupid joke, I think, came from JAS as a result. He commented that Calgary "hosted a 'summer Olympics' with snow." Man, I remembered being in Canada Olympic Park on the Games' last day of competition and I was wearing my springtime clothes! :P

Development on the east side of BC Place Stadium and south of GM Place:

area-m.jpg

Guys, I don't know if any of you mentioned it here yet. Did you know that Vancouver is 11th. ranked in the world, when it comes for a city to become the "sporting capital of the world?" If you guys haven't seen the list, go to the Madrid 16 topic in the 2016 Olympics discussion and find the Mo Rush post, which he has posted that list.

Well, it seems that Vancouver is the city to beat on these kinds of surveys nowadays for other Canadian cities. From "best city to live in the world to live in" to this latest one, it makes me wonder if other Canadian cities are "no good" in the eyes of the world.

Hey, guys, are you going to go to that new Tiffany's store that was just opened today? You want real luxury items, then come to this place. Toronto was the only Canadian city to have one, until now. This, according to the owners of the name, should make Vancouver one of the greatest shopping city centers in the world:

Link: Vancouver Province: Tiffany's Corner Of Vancouver

Now we are missing Apple! (According to rumors: they always wanted to open one here, just can't find the right location in downtown)

Call me ignorant, but what kind of company is that?

Call me ignorant, but what kind of company is that?

Dude........

apple_001.jpg

Vancouver Stores Locations Narrowing Down

The speculation over where Apple will open a Vancouver (Canada) retail store is focusing sharply on the downtown Pacific Centre area. The Centre itself is operated by Cadillac Fairview, the same company that is handling mall leasing for three other known Canadian Apple retail stores. The multi-block, retail-office complex is the target for 8.5 million visitors a year, many from Asia, and is within a circle of big name hotels. The Centre would provide space only for an standard-size retail store, however, which is not consistent with the city’s location or size. But where would Apple install a street-level store, maybe even a flagship? Right now the focus is on two spaces at the intersection of Granville and Dunsmuir Streets, just across from Pacific Centre, and adjacent to The Hudson, a huge new retail-office development. The corner building is the heritage-tagged, former B.C. Electric building (c. 1928), whose façade was retained and interior renovated during construction of the square-block development. Next door is a newer-style, 45,000 s.f. retail space that sprung up after demolition of older buildings. It’s not clear if either of the storefronts could legally or technically be massaged into an appropriate Apple design, but both offer the combination of location, visibility, accessibility and size that larger Apple stores require and deserve.

600_granville_rendering.jpg

Okay, okay. Sheesh. One wouldn't have known that, if someone would have been like me in responding to that post. Next thing, someone over there may start suggesting to Bill Gates to move his Microsoft HQ to Vancouver. Never mind someone here a couple of years ago mentioned about having a Disneyland there, too.

Okay, okay. Sheesh. One wouldn't have known that, if someone would have been like me in responding to that post. Next thing, someone over there may start suggesting to Bill Gates to move his Microsoft HQ to Vancouver. Never mind someone here a couple of years ago mentioned about having a Disneyland there, too.

Umm... hello? When were you when the ipod was invented?

Bill Gates won't move Microsoft to Vancouver... besides, we are only talking about Apple to open one RETAIL LOCATION, not their HQ! You are comparing an apple to an orange.

I'm pretty sure Apple will open one in Vancouver before 2010 (or at least I hope...). Vancouver has one of the most mac users in the nation (as there are many computer graphic HQ's here). Ipod's are also the thing in Vancouver (almost 60% have them in Killarney Secondary...). Maybe they should open one right in front of the Art Gallery underground and then connect it with Pacific Centre. This one is the one in New York:

retailfifthavegallary1_3.jpg

applestairs_550x367.jpg

Don't take it personal, I get like this when it comes to Apple (my favourite =P)...

In any case, when the Apple company first gave the world the home PC into the market way back in the 1980s, I had one. Don't know what happened to the brand, but it looked to me that Apple waned, as you-know-who and Steve Jobs had quite a row against each other. Never mind about the "real saga" of the Microsoft Windows OS, from a documentary I saw in the 1990s about them. Of course, did you remember the so-called "most watched TV commercial in the world" that was only seen ONCE by the general public? That convinced my parents that having an Apple computer for me should be an asset to my self-confidence. Anyway, I can see that Apple is making a major comeback against the PC, with the iPod, the new versions of laptops and desktop computers and all those commercials that seems to resemble the Gates/Jobs row of the past.

mac's are just so pretty.

No kidding. According to the Consumers Reports 2007 buying guide, in which I have a copy, Apple Macs cleans house against its like competition in most categories. In other words, their laptops seems to have so many positive functions about them that they cannot be beat by the likes of Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc.